TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

Just saw on Twitter that Kaymer has the R11 in the the bag this week. We was playing his SuperTri two weeks ago at the match play....

His settings:

9 degree, Std loft, ASP on N with Fubuki 70x

Dang biggsy!! Dang!! I've seen your stats before, but am always impressed!

You going with a stiffer PX shaft?
Thanks. I probably will since it's worked so well for me and I think I'll get even better numbers with a little higher launch angle, which the R11 could help me fine tune.

Biggsy, I know you have a fwy wood shaft waiting. Is your 3wood on the way?

Can you go into detail a bit about the feel, sound, forgiveness when you get a sec? I'm really curious to hear some more of your thoughts. Do you like the white?

edit: i guess in a nutshell: do you think that with some fine tuning it could be perfect for you?
I don't have a 3 wood on the way yet, but it's in my future. Maybe if I could sell some of my other equipment, someone could fund my new 3 wood :D

Feel: I was looking to see where the ball was struck after each shot and then the feel associated with it. You definitely get feel and feedback with off center shots. I only noticed a real loss of distance hitting near the sole of the club. Well hit shots feel really good with this club, as they should. I think it had a good amount of feel.

Sound: Dead center hits give a beautiful sound. The sound of the club is less pingy and metal sounding than my SF. I really like the sound of the club.

Forgiveness: Given I am not a great ballstriker, I don't always hit the center of the face. Off center shots lost some distance but I noticed it more with the ball speed off the face and the margin of error on the sweetspot has been reduced. But that's just my initial thoughts.

Color: I love the white and don't find it distracting in the least. I loved how easy this club was to align.

Overall, I like the club, but it's going to take more time to see if it ends up in my bag. Initially, I like it. I'll know more and can get into better detail with more on course testing. The simulator is great for the data, but I need to see the ball finish to help with my choice.

Great feedback biggsy. I hope you get it dialed in. You hit some beautiful shots with it on the range in Fl when I was down. Your #'s (especially launch angle) look really good as well.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Great feedback biggsy. I hope you get it dialed in. You hit some beautiful shots with it on the range in Fl when I was down. Your #'s (especially launch angle) look really good as well.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!
That is what I have been happiest with, I am looking forward to dialing it in and seeing what it can do. Hope you get yours soon to see what you can do with it.

I am ready to get to work on my long term review. Maybe you will get yours soon. I think GG mailed the Canadians out first but how long does it take to get through Customs?

GG mailed ours today. Usually it sits at customs for a day or three. Which is insane. "Expected" Delivery is thursday, which isn't too bad.

GG mailed ours today. Usually it sits at customs for a day or three. Which is insane. "Expected" Delivery is thursday, which isn't too bad.

They will be testing it there for those couple of days. I hope they don't leave sky marks on it.

They will be testing it there for those couple of days. I hope they don't leave sky marks on it.

For real. I would put some of that satin looking clear tape on the crown. Hell, I might even do it. Better safe than sorry

I had the Supertri for a bit and the R11 isn't that much less forgiving depending on where you miss. I find that misses off the heel and bottom of the R11 are about as bad as it gets, but misses more toward the toe and higher up are not very bad at all. I see about a 15-20 yard loss with a bad strike off the toe and higher up. But low misses and off the heel are lucky to break 150. My usual drive is between 245 and 255. This is just for me though.

OK, wow. I think I'm in the market for a Supertri, then.

Hi One-T, that is a funny story and I can actually see someone asking that. I would not have said yes to that request but I can tell you what is coming for you. The last 4 rounds of golf that I have played has turned into a demo day for my foursome and it is getting frustrating .. lol. Everyone asks to hit it and I hate to say no and haven't but I am very fearful of someone putting an "unwanted" mark somewhere on the club. Is this happening to anyone else?
so, a buddy of mine text me earlier this week to see if I wanted to golf, I jokingly said, you just want to hit my irons and R11(which I dont have yet), anyway, we text back and forth and it turns out I couldnt play because I am going out of town. Well, yesterday he texted me asking if him and another guy could borrow my R11 for the round(that I will not be playing in) and I just laughed. First of all, I dont have it yet, second, I just dont know if I could hand it over for them to use for a round. One guy I could because he is pretty much a scratch golfer, but who knows who would be with them and hitting it. I would hate to get a dummy mark on a club I have yet to hit. I obviously told him no because I dont have it, but if I did I dont know what I would have said. prob yes, but only because thats my personality.

so, a buddy of mine text me earlier this week to see if I wanted to golf, I jokingly said, you just want to hit my irons and R11(which I dont have yet), anyway, we text back and forth and it turns out I couldnt play because I am going out of town. Well, yesterday he texted me asking if him and another guy could borrow my R11 for the round(that I will not be playing in) and I just laughed. First of all, I dont have it yet, second, I just dont know if I could hand it over for them to use for a round. One guy I could because he is pretty much a scratch golfer, but who knows who would be with them and hitting it. I would hate to get a dummy mark on a club I have yet to hit. I obviously told him no because I dont have it, but if I did I dont know what I would have said. prob yes, but only because thats my personality.

I am headed out for a range session or 18 holes tomorrow (depending on the weather) with a buddy. I am guessing that he will want to hit the R11 as well... but I am in a different boat. I have already had my R11 for nearly a week now and I will have had a chance to tool around with it a bit.

Oh, and I WILL be there too.

Just saw on Twitter that Kaymer has the R11 in the the bag this week. We was playing his SuperTri two weeks ago at the match play....

His settings:

Interesting; thanks for the heads-up.

Hi Biggsy, Great write up! I find the sound awesome. I say the supertri sounds like an aluminum bat and the R11 sounds like a solid hit off of wooden baseball bat. Does that make sense to you?
Thanks. I probably will since it's worked so well for me and I think I'll get even better numbers with a little higher launch angle, which the R11 could help me fine tune.

I don't have a 3 wood on the way yet, but it's in my future. Maybe if I could sell some of my other equipment, someone could fund my new 3 wood :D

Feel: I was looking to see where the ball was struck after each shot and then the feel associated with it. You definitely get feel and feedback with off center shots. I only noticed a real loss of distance hitting near the sole of the club. Well hit shots feel really good with this club, as they should. I think it had a good amount of feel.

Sound: Dead center hits give a beautiful sound. The sound of the club is less pingy and metal sounding than my SF. I really like the sound of the club.

Forgiveness: Given I am not a great ballstriker, I don't always hit the center of the face. Off center shots lost some distance but I noticed it more with the ball speed off the face and the margin of error on the sweetspot has been reduced. But that's just my initial thoughts.

Color: I love the white and don't find it distracting in the least. I loved how easy this club was to align.

Overall, I like the club, but it's going to take more time to see if it ends up in my bag. Initially, I like it. I'll know more and can get into better detail with more on course testing. The simulator is great for the data, but I need to see the ball finish to help with my choice.

Hi Biggsy, Great write up! I find the sound awesome. I say the supertri sounds like an aluminum bat and the R11 sounds like a solid hit off of wooden baseball bat. Does that make sense to you?

That's a good way to put it. My SF sounds like an aluminum bat and this sounds different and better IMHO.

Kaymer also has his weights at 3 toe and 2 heel, seems a little light to me. I also love the sound of this driver. Well off to the course to test the Polara balls.

You may recall a few weeks back I said that anyone above a 10 handicap is wasting their time getting fitted. Well tomorrow I am getting fitted :). Not sure if I can pull the trigger on the R11. Once I add on the fitting fees + shaft upgrade I could be close to $600 and that is a little to salty for me. Plus I have a fear of breaking out the white driver on the 1st tee as everyone stares and then hitting a shankapotamous - nothing says tool more then that. I will be interested to see how my back spin #'s will come down as I work through the shafts. As you recall that every club I picked up at Dick's I was recording a backspin in the 3,500-4,000 area.

If anyone has any questions though let me know and I will try to ask my fitter tomorrow (golf digest top 100 club fitter).

You may recall a few weeks back I said that anyone above a 10 handicap is wasting their time getting fitted. Well tomorrow I am getting fitted :). Not sure if I can pull the trigger on the R11. Once I add on the fitting fees + shaft upgrade I could be close to $600 and that is a little to salty for me. Plus I have a fear of breaking out the white driver on the 1st tee as everyone stares and then hitting a shankapotamous - nothing says tool more then that. I will be interested to see how my back spin #'s will come down as I work through the shafts. As you recall that every club I picked up at Dick's I was recording a backspin in the 3,500-4,000 area.

If anyone has any questions though let me know and I will try to ask my fitter tomorrow (golf digest top 100 club fitter).

See we all told ya you were wrong lol, fitting is for any number HC. Who cares what people think, it shouldnt matter if you have a white driver, pink driver, purple driver, black driver, a shank is still a shank no matter what color the club is. I think nothing says tool more than the guy making fun of somebody for not being very good. Let us know how the fitting goes.

Not bad at all considering Im in the states and mine won't be here until Thursday either.

Yours will probably be there on the thursday. I don't expect mine till the following Monday or Tuesday

So is this the thread we are going to be posting in, or is there a seperate one set up?

Nothing says non tool like ripping a properly fit driver right down the middle more often.

Amen (I hope)!

Right now I am thinking I will grab the R9 Tri and g15 and see which one prevails.

Those are 2 awesome drivers. I loved the ST

Back