I'm not calling them idiots for wanting to fix the problem.

If they are really serious about fixing the problem they need to just fix it. What's the NHL going to do if they fix it? Fine them? Think that would hold up in court after what happened to Pacioretty? If they don't fix it then it's just more hot air being blown. Saying the league and the GMs need to get serious about protecting players but not putting out the money to actually address a known issue...

Honestlly, I have no idea what would happen if they just change it. I seem to recall that the ACC and Phillies arena just made changes without approval but that doesn't mean nothing has been or will be done to them. It could be something else behind the scenes like Montreal losing the winter classic to elsewhere which is worth an estimated $14mil for the city.

GM's and refs do need to be more serious about hits to the head though. I don't think Pacioretty is the case study for it, but it's something that needs to be address. Missing him is annoying due to the publicity but having Crosby out is a much larger issue.

Protecting players also needs to be on the players more. The lack of respect out there is appalling as is the ability for the players to do something about it. The instigator rule needs to go.

Honestlly, I have no idea what would happen if they just change it. I seem to recall that the ACC and Phillies arena just made changes without approval but that doesn't mean nothing has been or will be done to them. It could be something else behind the scenes like Montreal losing the winter classic to elsewhere which is worth an estimated $14mil for the city.

GM's and refs do need to be more serious about hits to the head though. I don't think Pacioretty is the case study for it, but it's something that needs to be address. Missing him is annoying due to the publicity but having Crosby out is a much larger issue.

Protecting players also needs to be on the players more. The lack of respect out there is appalling as is the ability for the players to do something about it. The instigator rule needs to go.

Didn't think about the Winter Classic but a just thought is that with Montreal opening a criminal investigation and being very vocal about the seriousness maybe they should put up and take the risk.

GMs and Refs need to take all hits more seriously in my opinion. They let too much go that has no place in hockey.

I agree.

I do think I read somewhere that they're going to be looking at the pads allowed and I think that is a good thing. Not only for the excess damage they seem to be causing but I am a little tired of all of the shots being blocked. Granted in a lot of cases the shooter is to blame for taking too much time (I miss seeing Sakic's wrist shot) but I'd like to see more shots getting through.

Anyone watching the Leafs/Bruins game? It started out a little sloppy but it really has been a fantastic hockey game.

Tonight...the 11-game win streak starts for the Devils.

Tonight...the 11-game win streak starts for the Devils.

Good luck with that, I'd be happy with a 2 game win streak for the Avalanche!!!

Glad Matt Cooke got some good punishment. Rest of year and first round of playoffs. Fitting for a repeat offender. Any other thoughts?

I'm a Pens fan and the Cooke suspension was well deserved. Don't know if he'll play again in the league after this season...

I like the repeat offender rule but I think initial calls should be more. Heatley deserved WAY more than 2 games on something SO blatant. If that was a brute and not a scorer he wouldve gotten at least 5. Gillies didnt deserve a repeat of 10 games as the hit on the play was way worse than his hit afterwards.
Glad Matt Cooke got some good punishment. Rest of year and first round of playoffs. Fitting for a repeat offender. Any other thoughts?

Dont get me wrong, I like the stars being somewhat protected, but your suspending the guys who are protecting them. The new NHL requires role play, and they are punishing the protectors. Cooke got what he deserved though

Just read the news that my Canucks lost Malhotra for the balance of the year. Of all the injuries that have hit the team this year, this may be the toughest to overcome.

I think Cooke got off lightly, he should have been tossed for the balance of the year. I don't understand how Mario can be so willing to have this guy on his team. What is Cooke's contract status for next year?

Just read the news that my Canucks lost Malhotra for the balance of the year. Of all the injuries that have hit the team this year, this may be the toughest to overcome.

I think Cooke got off lightly, he should have been tossed for the balance of the year. I don't understand how Mario can be so willing to have this guy on his team. What is Cooke's contract status for next year?

Real unlucky for Malhotra, scary injury. Hope it turns out ok

Cooke is on the books for 1.8 per til 2013... I'm curious to see what happens. He's hated in the league and he's becoming a liability, he's a great grinder if he could play smart.

Mario and the Pens' management has said that if Cooke gets 1 more suspension that they are done with him. Be it a trade, being sent down to their AHL affiliate or just an outright release, they would find a way to get rid of him if he continues to be a liability.
The Pens know they cant complain about contact the head/intent to injur hits like what took out Crosby and then tolorate having a player on their roster who is one of the dirtiest players in hockey.

I did have one thought when it comes to Mario's outcry on head shots, would he be so passionate about it if his prized player hadn't got hurt???

As another Guinz fan, I've had about enough of Cooke as well. If he must be under contract until 2013, put him to work somewhere else...let him drive the Zamboni, sell hot dogs, parking attendant, I don't care- just get him off the team! I'd say let him dress up as Iceburgh but then I'd be worried about him abusing small children in the stands.

Mario and the Pens' management has said that if Cooke gets 1 more suspension that they are done with him.

Got a quote on that?

Doesnt matter. In circumstances like this, teams can find a way to opt out

What are you referring to? Buy-out? Play in Europe? Stick him in the minors?

As another Guinz fan, I've had about enough of Cooke as well. If he must be under contract until 2013, put him to work somewhere else...let him drive the Zamboni, sell hot dogs, parking attendant, I don't care- just get him off the team! I'd say let him dress up as Iceburgh but then I'd be worried about him abusing small children in the stands.
I'd be much happier just to be rid of him as well. He doesn't even have much of a skillset, all I can think of is the penalty killing. I guess the grit could be useful every once in a while, but he does more stupid crap than he forces opponents into doing. I would have been much happier with Letestu in there, of course now Asham is back so Letestu still gets scratched.

I'd be much happier just to be rid of him as well. He doesn't even have much of a skillset, all I can think of is the penalty killing. I guess the grit could be useful every once in a while, but he does more stupid crap than he forces opponents into doing. I would have been much happier with Letestu in there, of course now Asham is back so Letestu still gets scratched.
I dont know about that. I think that Cooke is a good skater and brings a physical presence, he plays on the edge all the time and he hasnt seemed to have learned to keep his emotions under control.
Alex Ovechkin wasnt all that different really until this season. Like Ovi, I think Cooke will learn how close he can push it over the edge and what he can get away with before the refs and the league steps in.

Absolutely he would, no question about it.

From the iPhone.

I question that statement. Mario was known himself for being a cheap shot artist back in his playing days and you didnt hear a peep out of him about head shots until Sid went down.

Matt Cooke is the perfect* third-liner. Bit of a pest, good checker, great on PK, scores every now and gritty. Every team wants a guy like that, if they want to trade him I don't think that's a problem.

*Obvious mental deficiency aside.

Seems like there are quite a few guys in the league right now that if you put this disclaimer on them there would be more teams interested, but with their current mindset they'll keep jumping around from team to team.

Matt Cooke is the perfect* third-liner. Bit of a pest, good checker, great on PK, scores every now and gritty. Every team wants a guy like that, if they want to trade him I don't think that's a problem.

IMO, Cookie would fit in perfectly in Philly. He and Pronger would probably be best friends.

Definitely out in the parking lot. I used to like the guy when he was with the Canucks. I guess that time in the Capitols org changed him!!

You guys must be happy now that Sid is back skating with the team??

Go Canucks!!

Back