WINE enthusiasts?

Kimeran

Play for fun, not anger
Reaction score
Handicap
~15-17
Hey all, I did not see a wine thread on here so I thought I might start one. ESpecially because maybe you could help me find some good ones as I am new to wine.

And to be honest, I was all about beer in the past but I have since been diagnosed with Celiac disease so I can only have sorghum beer now. WHich can be very good but I have for the most part started looking at wine.

I can tell you that I bought a wonderful red wine last week at World Market that is from italy called Ruffino and it is very nice. it was very grapy and light and I have to say it is my favorite red wine to date.

Ruffino=$25

Last night I went and got a Zinfindale that I still have yet to try called Brazin and on the back it said that it was made with some peppers(or just has a peppery flavor) and I cannot wait to try it.

Brazin=$13

I had a great champagne in Rome that I do not know the name but I know it started with a V and it was complimentary of the hotel...I am currently searching for this so I can buy a few bottles to store and drink on our anniversary.

Anyone else have any wines and champagnes that they love and would like to share?

I am a pretty big wine guy myself. Welcome to the wonderful world of wine. The list of wines I like/love is a little long.

Im a big Robert Foley fan, so any of his stuff is usually my first choice. Pride, Robert Foley, etc...

Etude Heirloom Pinot Noir is outstanding. It can hurt the pocket at around $90 a bottle but its worth every cent.

Schug Winery also makes an awesome Pinot, the Carneros in particular. Its more reasonably priced at around $30 a bottle.

Great thread, my list of great wines is too long to list as I was a bar manager at restaurants for years, but if you like red zin and the price points you were listing, check out "Dancing Bull" Zinfandel, very nice wine at that price.

I've been making wine for the last 15 years (feeding grapes through a crusher @ age 5!) so I've got a bit of experience with it.

I see there are some Pinot fans out there. Here are two lines that offer some of the best you will ever taste based on so many opinions. You wont find them in too many stores, but the mailing list is just that good.

Radio Couteau
Siduri/Novy

Silver Palm is a really good Cab for the price. I believe it's only available to restaurants, but not sure. If it is still I'm sure you could order it online. I really enjoy wine just don't really like drinking.

Hey all, I did not see a wine thread on here so I thought I might start one. ESpecially because maybe you could help me find some good ones as I am new to wine.

And to be honest, I was all about beer in the past but I have since been diagnosed with Celiac disease so I can only have sorghum beer now. WHich can be very good but I have for the most part started looking at wine.

I can tell you that I bought a wonderful red wine last week at World Market that is from italy called Ruffino and it is very nice. it was very grapy and light and I have to say it is my favorite red wine to date.

Ruffino=$25

Last night I went and got a Zinfindale that I still have yet to try called Brazin and on the back it said that it was made with some peppers(or just has a peppery flavor) and I cannot wait to try it.

Brazin=$13

I had a great champagne in Rome that I do not know the name but I know it started with a V and it was complimentary of the hotel...I am currently searching for this so I can buy a few bottles to store and drink on our anniversary.

Anyone else have any wines and champagnes that they love and would like to share?

the Ruffino - probably a chianti - good bottle.
champagne with a V? has to be veuve cliquot - one of my favs!
did it look like this?
veuve-clicquot1.jpg

i like pinots, and i love burgundy's! my fav wine.

I love wine. We really are getting into Malbec's and have a few that we've really enjoyed lately. For the life of me though I cannot think of the vineyards names! We also drink Pinot's & shiraz's a lot as well. I will say, when we are purposefully being cheap we really enjoy the Yellow Tail shiraz/cab blend.

the Ruffino - probably a chianti - good bottle.
champagne with a V? has to be veuve cliquot - one of my favs!
did it look like this?
veuve-clicquot1.jpg

i like pinots, and i love burgundy's! my fav wine.

No that is not it. When I emailed the hotel we stayed in they also suggested that one so I think I may be wrong about the V as my wife remembers it saying "Roma" on the bottle and it could be that I am just remembering vino for wine....

I was not expecting there to be this many replies so soon for wine! I am definitely going to have to try some of these. However, I am still in the $30 bottles at this point as I do not have the money for the more expensive stuff but I am sure it is worth it as going from 10 to 20 made a huge difference!

We are planning to make a road trip to the beach this summer as we are only 2 hours away and will pass through Paso Robles on the way so we thought we may make a wine trip out of it!

I see there are some Pinot fans out there. Here are two lines that offer some of the best you will ever taste based on so many opinions. You wont find them in too many stores, but the mailing list is just that good.

Radio Couteau
Siduri/Novy

Big Siduri fan here. I went to their warehouse tasting day a couple of summers ago, they had 15 or so different types of Pinot Noir, I was in heaven. I still have 3 bottles in my wine fridge. My wife and I just had a bottle of Novy dessert wine at a dinner party a few weeks ago, and it was awesome.

I'm a big wine guy as well, and definitely prefer the new world wines (Australia, New Zealand, Argentina, etc) to the old world. Other than Pinot Noir, I'm also a big fan of the Shiraz Cabernet blends or GSM (Grenache Shiraz Mourvedre) from Australia, as well as Malbec from Argentina.

My parents always had Bunratty Meade Crock around from time to time when we were growing up. Not sure how easy it is to find here today and I have no idea where they bought it years ago. I'm not a big wine drinker but do like something red if we are dinning somewhere on Italian.

ca-cabernet.png

Tried this last week. Greg puts out a nice cab.

My wife and I are fond of big, bold reds. We especially like some of the California Cabs (Opus, St. Francis, Far Niente) and Italian Brunello di Montalcino. One of our favorite whites is Vidal Blanc from Boordy in Maryland.

Big Siduri fan here. I went to their warehouse tasting day a couple of summers ago, they had 15 or so different types of Pinot Noir, I was in heaven. I still have 3 bottles in my wine fridge. My wife and I just had a bottle of Novy dessert wine at a dinner party a few weeks ago, and it was awesome.

I'm a big wine guy as well, and definitely prefer the new world wines (Australia, New Zealand, Argentina, etc) to the old world. Other than Pinot Noir, I'm also a big fan of the Shiraz Cabernet blends or GSM (Grenache Shiraz Mourvedre) from Australia, as well as Malbec from Argentina.

If you like Siduri, I strongly recommend you try out the Radio Coteau. Even better in my opinion.

Everyone's tastes can be different. While most 'good' wine is good to a majority of people, not the case for everyone. What I usually tell people about wine is to find a price range you can live with, and find a variety of things to drink within that range. You'll find out that you can spend half the amount of money for something that you like just as well. Wine drinking is one big experiment and can be a lot of fun to play around with. You will also find out that after a couple of Saturday nights with friends and several bottles at $30 each, it gets real expensive, real fast. Sure that $50 bottle will probably be better than the $10 bottle, but is it really worth 40 extra dollars? That is what you have to ask yourself sometimes. Unless of course money is no object.

One thing about recommendations, you will read about wines online or see in a magazine or have with dinner when you travel...not everything is available everywhere. Most of it is if you want to buy online, but a bottle that you buy at a liquor store in Dallas, might not be available anywhere in Ohio (I don't know where you live, just throwing out examples). Much of it simply depends on the state you live in and what is available to you locally.

My wife and I are fond of big, bold reds. We especially like some of the California Cabs (Opus, St. Francis, Far Niente) and Italian Brunello di Montalcino. One of our favorite whites is Vidal Blanc from Boordy in Maryland.

Boordy is a pretty decent local winery. We tend to go up once or twice a year on weekends whenever we have nothing better to do. Only a 40min drive from where I live.

I'm going to an amazing wine tasting gala tomorrow evening. The wine list has absolutely blown my mind. Originally I was supposed to be going to MacDill AFB for a good old blue collar burger fest, but that was cancelled, and about 30 minutes ago a friend of mine sent me his invite for this wine tasting party since he's not a fan of wine. I'm not even going to mention the wines I'll be drinking, because it's unfathomable the types of bottles being opened for this. If anyone would like to guess on certain wines, I'll say yes or no. I feel if I name the list it will give the wrong impression of who I am and where I'm at in life right now. I certainly am not usually on the guest list for events such as this, but I'm stoked. I finally get to taste the one wine I've always wanted to try and that wine is.......

A web site I found a year or so ago might be interesting to our wine lovers.

"Cinderella Wine - Ridiculously low prices for up to 24 hours only
Cinderella Wine - Ridiculously low prices for 24 hours only.
cinderellawine.com/"

They have excellent prices particularly on the daily specials.

I'm not really a wine drinker, but I went to different wine tastings for a friend's birthday. I have to say, there are a lot of drunk cougars at those winery's.

I've tried alot of different wines over the years, but the kind that I really love and almost exclusively drink now is Port. I love tawnys, but usually will drink house ports like Six Grapes, or Fonseca. I want to start getting some vintage ports, but they can be pretty expensive. Looking to get some '94 Dows when I get some more money.

I am a pretty big wine guy myself. Welcome to the wonderful world of wine. The list of wines I like/love is a little long.Im a big Robert Foley fan, so any of his stuff is usually my first choice. Pride, Robert Foley, etc...
Dang JB, so far I've learned golf, auto detailing..and now this?

I know you'll see this thread pop up, you always do. I, too am fairly new to wine (2011). I've tried many different types, but always come back to the Cabs. I've been drawn to the 14 Hands (Washington) with both their Cab offering and their Hot to Trot Blend (Predominantly Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah and Petit Verdot ). You can find them for about $9-$12 depending on store.

I've also liked the 2008 Robert Mondavi Cabernet ($28), which I don't pull out as often because there are plenty of options at less.

I'd like to know you're overall top 3 cabs in that price range ($9-$12) that we might find at the dinner table at your house.

If you like Washington wines, you would love some old school stuff as well. That means France and Italy for the sake of this conversation. Similar climates in the areas (generalization) show the subtleness of the flavor at first. Where as the new world stuff (CA, Aussie, Chile, etc) will be more fruit forward. Some of the lesser expensive wines that I just love in that price range are as follows. Keep in mind that these are things that go well with my meals and may be different for you. I like my regular table wines to be light and delicious.

Bodega Norton Malbec
Rocca Delle Macie Chianti Classico

These two are incredibly affordable at less than $11 in my area.

As for Cabs, it becomes a little more complex than that because I prefer certain winemakers with my cabs and while there are tons of great ones in that price range, I do not sample a ton of them to give you an informed response. Based on your post, you may want to try some wines that are marked Petite Syrah. While most see that label and think Syrah/Shiraz is a little fruit forward and the label saying "petite" will mean even lighter, its actually not the case. They can be big, bold and downright inky in color. Plus, you can get them for a little less from some great wineries.

Hope this helps.

Back