Are You Playing the Right Length?

I had a pro tell me once while I was looking at putters that the majority of people should be using a 33" putter. He said very few people should use 35" but thats what the majority play.

I have always played a 35" or a 34" because my stance is very upright. I have never tried anything shorter.

I should probably be using a 28" putter

Had my putter for almost 2 years before I took it in for a putter fitting. Bought a 33" Odyssey Marxman-Mini, really liked the putter but struggled with it sometimes. Was watching something on the Golf Channel and they were talking about putter fitting so I called a local guy and set it up. I now use the same putter but it's been cut down to 31". Never putted better. Had one round last week with 24 total putts!

I've been fit for every club in my bag Seth, including my putter.
Length: 36"
Loft: 4º
Lie Angle: 68º

I've been fit for every club in my bag Seth, including my putter.
Length: 36"
Loft: 4º
Lie Angle: 68º

Nice! How tall are ya? You probably dwarf me.

I'm 6'5" with relatively short arms. Makes it easier to fit in the golf bag. lol

You are a giant! Yeah, I imagine that putter sits up very nicely.

This is not the greatest post in the world, this is just a tribute.

It took me alot of tinkering to find my "wheelhouse" as far as putter length goes. I play with a very "low hands" type of stroke without being hunched over at all and even at 6'3 I've found 33.5" is about as good as it gets for me personally.

Again, its what I love about putters, they are just SO dang personal.

You are a giant! Yeah, I imagine that putter sits up very nicely.

This is not the greatest post in the world, this is just a tribute.
One of my cousins make me look like a midget. LOL

I also put in a UST Frequency Filtered putter shaft. The feel is great! The shaft was only $28 at GolfWorks.

Yep. I got for it. 45 inches, two degrees flat.

I use a 34" and choke down just slightly. Could probably play a 33" just fine. At one point in the late 90s I had an old Titleist Bullseye that I cut down to about 30" and putted quite well with it, though it made me bend over too much and caused back pain so I gave it up. I was all stooped over like Nicklaus of old. But I guess I could see the line well and had some of my best putting rounds using it for the few years I stuck with it.

First day on the greens went great! Instant improvement on my putting, but my speed is off even though my line is so much better. I am not surprised by this as losing the 2 inches of length and my new position is a major change. This is going to really put some steam in my game.

First day on the greens went great! Instant improvement on my putting, but my speed is off even though my line is so much better. I am not surprised by this as losing the 2 inches of length and my new position is a major change. This is going to really put some steam in my game.

Awesome setho! Can't wait to hear and track your future progress.

From the iPhone.

I must be doing something right I guess. I'm the same height as you SethO and I prefer my putters to be 33". That's how long my last 3 putters (over the past 10 years) have been.

I must be doing something right I guess. I'm the same height as you SethO and I prefer my putters to be 33". That's how long my last 3 putters (over the past 10 years) have been.

But setho was comfortable at 35 if I remember correctly. Comfort doesn't mean it's the best for you, even when you're as good as tiger.

I know I'm doing one of these fittings as soon as I get a real chance to.

From the iPhone.

Well it's been pretty well documented that I have a 32" putter and yes, I was fit for it. It's always nice to find something to snuggle into when you know it feels right. Here's my question... On a comment made earlier it was stated that there was a pro that said something to the degree that the majority of the gaming public has a 35" (I used to fit into that when I bought my first set since it came with a 35") when the majority of them should be gaming a 33". Why do you think that is? Lack of knowledge or ego? I know that it could be a combo of both since a) it's pretty much well known that there are folks out there that have never been fit and b) just the flack that folks with shorter than average putters get. I know that whenever I go to the GG I would say 60% of their putters on their wall are 35".

What do you guys think?

Awesome setho! Can't wait to hear and track your future progress.

Thanks Thainer. I can't wait to see my putting improve and be consistant.

From the iPhone.

I wish I knew this information when I first got started (granted that was only 1 year 9 months ago). When my instructor showed me a side by side between a pro and me, I was astounded at how bad I looked. My spine angle was way to vertical.

But setho was comfortable at 35 if I remember correctly. Comfort doesn't mean it's the best for you, even when you're as good as tiger.

I know I'm doing one of these fittings as soon as I get a real chance to.

From the iPhone.

I was comfortable because I was basically upright. My putting was very streaky because my stroke had figure 8 as I worked around my body. Not what I wanted to have. Some days I would have 28-29 putts and others I would have 40-41. Not fun.

I wish I knew this information when I first got started (granted that was only 1 year 9 months ago). When my instructor showed me a side by side between a pro and me, I was astounded at how bad I looked. My spine angle was way to vertical.

I was comfortable because I was basically upright. My putting was very streaky because my stroke had figure 8 as I worked around my body. Not what I wanted to have. Some days I would have 28-29 putts and others I would have 40-41. Not fun.

I think I may have the same exact problem. I'm going to do some side by side profiles with me and tour pros. See if I can get something figured out.

From the iPhone.

Well it's been pretty well documented that I have a 32" putter and yes, I was fit for it. It's always nice to find something to snuggle into when you know it feels right. Here's my question... On a comment made earlier it was stated that there was a pro that said something to the degree that the majority of the gaming public has a 35" (I used to fit into that when I bought my first set since it came with a 35") when the majority of them should be gaming a 33". Why do you think that is? Lack of knowledge or ego? I know that it could be a combo of both since a) it's pretty much well known that there are folks out there that have never been fit and b) just the flack that folks with shorter than average putters get. I know that whenever I go to the GG I would say 60% of their putters on their wall are 35".

What do you guys think?

Great question. I have no answer for this to tell you the truth. I would be very interested to hear from a company as to why this is.

I think I may have the same exact problem. I'm going to do some side by side profiles with me and tour pros. See if I can get something figured out.

From the iPhone.

Do you have a GolfTec around you? I am sure you can get a putting lesson from them and get hooked up to all the neat sensors.

I am pretty tall (6'4") and I play and am never comfortable putting with a 35" putter. I now putt with a 34" and occasionally a 33" (I have 2 sets of clubs, one at the club, another set of roamers.) I put WAY better with the 33".

Yeah, I would definitely do that if I still had the SC that I got all that confidance in, but it is out of my hands now and I would rather have a putter today than go through getting the putter back and getting the proper weights. 20 grams of lead tape on the Yes would have looked weird haha.

Thanks Hanks!

Wouldn't a putter be cut down from the butt end? And if so, that would move the swingweight lower, right? In which case any added counterweights could be plugged in the cut-down butt end and hidden that way. Or, am I way off on how putters get cut down?

I had a pro tell me once while I was looking at putters that the majority of people should be using a 33" putter. He said very few people should use 35" but thats what the majority play.

I would say that's due to most of the putters in the store being 35" in length.

The starter set of clubs I had came with a 35" putter. I knew right away that that just wasn't going to work for me. I putted with a zillion different putters until I found one that felt great, and it was 33" in length. I could probably even game it at 32" or 32.5", but for now I'm comfortable with it. For reference, I am about 5'10" - 5'11" with ridiculously long arms. It's a pain when buying long sleeve shirts, btw.

I am pretty tall (6'4") and I play and am never comfortable putting with a 35" putter. I now putt with a 34" and occasionally a 33" (I have 2 sets of clubs, one at the club, another set of roamers.) I put WAY better with the 33".

I think I might be the same way. I'm 6'4" and I choke down all the way to just past the bottom of the grip. When I get around to it, I may chop off my 35 Rossie by 2 inches and regrip.

Great thread, guys!

EDIT: I should note I have a rather long torso. As such, I'm 6'4" and have a 34 inch inseam. My wife is the same way and you should see our little ape-like young boys! :p

I did what SeeMore recommends to fit yourself, and 35 is just a little long for me, so I choke up a bit.

Wouldn't a putter be cut down from the butt end? And if so, that would move the swingweight lower, right? In which case any added counterweights could be plugged in the cut-down butt end and hidden that way. Or, am I way off on how putters get cut down?

I would think that adding more weight to the butt of the shaft would have a different effect, but I don't know. SeeMore putters do come with weight in the butt of the shaft now that I think about it, so you may be on to something here. I would love to hear an answer to this question from someone in the know. Great hypothesis BTW. I hope we hear some definitive answers on this matter.

All I really know is that my GolfTec coach told me that a cut down putter would feel lighter unless you added some weight to the head. It seems that adding some weight to the butt may make the head whippy. I pretty much hate physics in general (mad that I can't fly) so hearing about the physics of putter weighting would be very fascinating because I know so little about it. Future Greenside episode topic perhaps? I would love to hear SeeMore's opinion on it.

Back