Are You Playing the Right Length?

I play a 34" putter. I should be playing a 32-33", but I have different grips I use throughout the year and a shorter putter really only allows for one type of grip. Plus, practicing with a shorter putter is murder on my back.

edit: by grip I mean the way I hold the club.

I'm 5'8" and I currently game a 34" putter. Last time I was at Golfsmith I was trying the Odyssey Proto-82 and it was only 33 inch and I don't know if it was the length or the putter but I felt comfortable in my stance and I struck the ball perfectly every time.

I'm 6' on the dot and I started playing a 35", mostly because it was given to me to start golfing, but I recently bought my first new putter and bought a 34". I'm sure a 33.5" or 33" is what I should be playing, but I found myself feeling uncomfortable and hunched over. Now to try and putt with my old 35" putter is just awkward and I almost feel like I'm falling backwards. In a few weeks I'll find out if 34" is right when it comes to scoring and putter on real greens and not carpet.

I play a 35" because I'm 6'3 and figure that's the best lol

I'm 5'10 with shoes on and use a 34" putter. I could probably use a 33" but I feel like the 34" keeps me from slumping over to far and fits me well. A fitting might say differently though.

I'm 5'10 with shoes on and use a 34" putter. I could probably use a 33" but I feel like the 34" keeps me from slumping over to far and fits me well. A fitting might say differently though.

I think that is the correct length for you without knowing your arm measurements based on the basic chart that I saw. I am a shorty at 5'8 and they said that the maximum I should be using is a 33 and 1/4 inch putter. I only make 5'8 when I wear shoes, so I am really about 5'7 and 3/4.

Im 6'0-6'1 and use a 35". I also use a couple different grips (way i hold the putter) but my hands are never at the top of the grip, im always choked down at least a 1/2 to a 1" and sometimes even lower, sometimes im almost touching the shaft, the closer my putt is the farther down my hands are, farther putts my hands are up high so i can hit it harder, just get better speed on long putts like that.

According to the fitter at Seemore, I was not. My gamer (at 34") was 3 inches short of what I should be playing. I never thought I would try a 37" putter but now that I set up as Pat O'Brien suggests, I can see where that 3 inches will improve my posture a good deal.

I had my first ever putter lesson last evening at GolfTec. This was a real eye opener to me. When I started golf, I just bought a putter without thinking of the length and it happened to be a 35 incher. Since then, I have just stuck with that length for no particular reason.

My pro hooks me and my putter up to the sensors after he measures my putter and asks me how tall I am. He watched me putt a few times and said that the putter that I was using is way too long. To make a long story short, I am not gaming a 33 inch putter that is actually correct to my height (or lack thereof). My putting has been wretched as of late and I think this is really going to fix it.

I think so ...I guess I could be playing a 33' but have found I like 34' at 350 grams the best. The 350 might be a little heavy but I like the feel on those shorter putts. I have a lighter putter I can use if I know the greens are super quick.

34" seems perfect to me at 5' 9". But I'm sure stance and set-up are more important than height, though. Every 35" putter I've tried seems too long to me, with the butt sometimes getting caught up in my shirt during the stroke. With a 33", I find myself manipulating my stance. No bueno.

I am 6-3 and use a 35 inch putter. My signature says 34 but that is a typo I haven't bothered to fix. I choke down to within about 2 inches of the steel on short putts and grip at the very end for lag putts over say 20 feet. It seems to help me keep short ones under control and the lags get all the way up to the hole more often.

I have got to say that, since I have switched to a 33 inch putter, I have been putting better than I have ever putted in my life. I have confidence with the short ones and the long ones. I feel that I have a legitimate chance whenever I am within 30 feet. I wish I had started using a 33 inch putter a long time ago.

I had my first ever putter lesson last evening at GolfTec. This was a real eye opener to me. When I started golf, I just bought a putter without thinking of the length and it happened to be a 35 incher. Since then, I have just stuck with that length for no particular reason.

My pro hooks me and my putter up to the sensors after he measures my putter and asks me how tall I am. He watched me putt a few times and said that the putter that I was using is way too long. To make a long story short, I am not gaming a 33 inch putter that is actually correct to my height (or lack thereof). My putting has been wretched as of late and I think this is really going to fix it.

Yes, I am putting with the correct length - 34" for me. I had previously bought a 35" Scotty Cameron putter due to the wonderful feel. However, I had troubles with it - mainly hitting fat due to it being too long. I know I have to cut it down but am trying to avoid. Unfortunately, I don't think I have an option if I ever really want to use it again.

i was suprised too - ive always had a standard length putter 35", and this year after reading some short game books - and talking to fitting pros - i choke way down on my putter - and i ordered a 32" for the Morgan Cup after being fit for the putter. I could honestly have gone shorter - but i think with a 32" i should be ok.

i was suprised too - ive always had a standard length putter 35", and this year after reading some short game books - and talking to fitting pros - i choke way down on my putter - and i ordered a 32" for the Morgan Cup after being fit for the putter. I could honestly have gone shorter - but i think with a 32" i should be ok.

Wow 32"? Is that you Spank? lol How did you come up with that number?

I think that is the correct length for you without knowing your arm measurements based on the basic chart that I saw. I am a shorty at 5'8 and they said that the maximum I should be using is a 33 and 1/4 inch putter. I only make 5'8 when I wear shoes, so I am really about 5'7 and 3/4.

A fellow short guy! I'm probably 5'"7 and 3/4 to 5'8" with my spikes on, and I use a 33.5" putter and I think it is very close to the proper size. I might pick a CS ghost up off the bay and it would be playing at 33".

Yes, I got fitted. I would say even more important than correct length is the correct lie angle for your putter. It affects the way the putter sits relative to the ground and that affects the loft, aim, and overall putting dynamic. Some people turn their putting stroke into a horrid mess trying to compensate for these mis-alignments, to get the ball to roll on the line they think they are aiming to.

I am 6' and have always used a 34" putter. I tried a couple of 35" putters today at GG and thought I was putting better with the 34".

I've always used a 34" putter and I rarely grip it all the way at the end, I am usually choked down on it some because I feel like it's more stable for me.

Is there technically a correct length or is it just what fits you prefer? I tend to just go with what I'm feeling the most comfortable with.

Is there technically a correct length or is it just what fits you prefer? I tend to just go with what I'm feeling the most comfortable with.

There is a technically correct length. There is an equation that takes a few measurements and will spit out a correct length. I forget the equation at the moment, but I always preferred a 35 inch putter until my GolfTec coach basically told me I had no business playing a putter of that length. I switched to a 33 and have never looked back. My putting is much more consistent now.

Well Hopefully I can use a 35" putter since I just won a White Ice #1 off of eBay for $66. I know I have been using a 34", but at that price I couldn't pass on it. At that price I'll make it work...LOL!!

I'm 6'2", and I use a 35" putter. I own and have tried 34" putters, and they feel comfortable, but after a while my back starts to hurt being bent over so much for so long. Especially when practicing my putting for an hour or two.

Back