Miyazaki Launches Dromos

JB: The Dromos seems to be very similar to the Kusula, particularly the BLUE Kusula. Did you play the blue prior to the Dromos? Does your Dromos have a flex code similar to what you played in the Kusula?

JB: The Dromos seems to be very similar to the Kusula, particularly the BLUE Kusula. Did you play the blue prior to the Dromos? Does your Dromos have a flex code similar to what you played in the Kusula?

I did play the blue and the black in the Kusala line and my flex code has stayed the same from the blue to the Dromos.

I noticed the only place local to me that does fitting is Pure Performance in Naples, and it's pretty pricey too. Someone was speaking about a contact number for Miyazaki in reference to an over the phone "fitting" if anyone has that number feel free to PM me. Their site is blocked on my DOI connection :at-wits-end:

Miyazaki Dromos performance

Miyazaki Dromos performance

I don't know if JB is able to comment on this question or even if there were different versions of the new Miyazaki Dromos shaft for folks to demo when they had the chance. I have seen a good deal of information on the 61S version and I had even seen one comment that did try to give some impressions of the three different Dromos weights. The comment was that while they are all categorized as mid-launch the 61S launched much higher than the heavier shafts. The torque spec seems to be the one that is most different between the three models. 70 weight shafts tend to e the right animal for me these days.

I tried to see if I could glean some information from the material on this shaft that is already at the site but could not see anything helpful so far.

I was just wondering if our folks here in THP had the same experience. Did you guys get to try more than the 61S and did the 61 appear to launch much higher than the 71S all things being equal. Surely the head will have some impact on what the shaft is doing. Any comments folks?

I don't know if JB is able to comment on this question or even if there were different versions of the new Miyazaki Dromos shaft for folks to demo when they had the chance. I have seen a good deal of information on the 61S version and I had even seen one comment that did try to give some impressions of the three different Dromos weights. The comment was that while they are all categorized as mid-launch the 61S launched much higher than the heavier shafts. The torque spec seems to be the one that is most different between the three models. 70 weight shafts tend to e the right animal for me these days.

I tried to see if I could glean some information from the material on this shaft that is already at the site but could not see anything helpful so far.

I was just wondering if our folks here in THP had the same experience. Did you guys get to try more than the 61S and did the 61 appear to launch much higher than the 71S all things being equal. Surely the head will have some impact on what the shaft is doing. Any comments folks?

I have both 61 and 71 here and have not noticed a significant launch difference. I think the heavier shaft (like many) could bring the flight down for some, but I believe the 61 is mid launching. It has been for me that is for sure and has been for just about everybody that has tried it out in our testing.

The shaft hits market tomorrow and others will be able to try it out. And of course it will be at the THP Demo Day for those in attendance.

Thanks JB. The Miyazaki 61 weight Kasula shafts that i have tried always felt kinda' light to me but I love the Kasula once you get into the right one.....very smooth....loading the shaft feels great. I prefer a little more weight in the shaft but wondered if the difference in torque between the three weights suggested that the 61 was a little bit of an anomaly or if the 71 was a bit of an anomaly. There is a pretty big gap at least in traditional torque between the 61 and the other heavier shafts with the two heavier shafts much closer together and more like what I am used to in the Kasula. Have you found one of the two (61 or 71) to be preferable in your case JB?

Within reason, heavier always tends to be better for me. if for whatever reason I get the feeling with driver that I should not be swinging pretty aggressively I can get into a good bit of trouble with that club. That is not to say that I have to pop my shoelaces to hit a good drive but it I back it down from a good solid swing I am usually in trouble.

Funny I can back off of the fairways a little bit and be OK but driver and I am likely lookin' for the ball.

I prefer the 61 myself and play it.

There is a really good Miyazaki THP Radio show that he discusses torque.

JB is this shaft coming stock on the new Srixon driver? I hit that driver today at a local shop and that was the shaft that was in it.

CRuck the Dromos is the stock shaft in the ZSTAR.

JB is this shaft coming stock on the new Srixon driver? I hit that driver today at a local shop and that was the shaft that was in it.

Yes that is the stock shaft.

Thanks Colt, I tell you what I hit that Srixon adjustable 3w with that same shaft and it is awesome!!

A little off topic JB but I did listen to that radio show you referred to in your other post and it was a very interesting show. I thought the comment about how costly shafts that were close to or are in fact high launch, low spin shafts or even Mid-launch, low spin before things like the Oban Kiyoshi came along and the Miyazaki Kusula and now Dromos was interesting. The commenter from Miyazaki is right I think. As costly as some of these newer shafts are, the shafts that advertised high launch, low spin and mid-launch, low spin before have been closer to twice the price and in some cases closer to three times the price in some cases.

In fact I now wonder if more than anything else Aldila sort of got caught a little behind with their RIP line because it is more like a good version of what used to be available at the current price point of a Kiyoshi or the expected price of the Dromos. It seemed like Adams did a pretty good job by making the RIP the stock shaft in the 9064 driver but it appears that Adams fitters have got them coming out of their ears from changing them out. Isn't Kusula a heck of a bargain comparatively speaking at this point.

I end up talking to more fitters than I probably should if only because there are very few around where I live and those that are available within reasonable distance often only represent a very few number of lines. if you want something other than what the fitter has you better be ready to get on the phone and find somebody. Our weather prevents us from being a golf mecca.

I wonder what we will see next from people like Graphite Designs and others that have been more at the top end of the price range for their top end shafts as it seems like companies like Oban, Miyasaki and a few others that I have not mentioned but that are out there have really been very innovative and likely have changed our expectations at the sub $400.00 MSRP price point for a shaft. I think it would be great for us out here at the buying end if these companies could cover their R&D and be happy with whatever their margins are with the very top end of the shaft market at $400.00 per instead of $800 or more per as it should mean that everything under that $400.00 price point also becomes a bit less painful to buy. The other reason I think that would be great is because with the ability to simply thread a properly tipped shaft into a head it would be much easier for us to experiment with different shafts. While I do think fitting is important being able to experiment or maybe experience some of these other products is one of the fun things about golf and I think more of us would like to do that without going broke in the process. I for one really like the idea of finding a head that you like/fits you and then mating it to a shaft that you like/fits you. That said I look on with interest at what Cleveland and Srixon will do and how it will employ Miyazaki on an ongoing basis.

Last edited:
JB -

Just to confirm, you don't see much difference in launch, etc between the 61g and 72g? I've always played a shaft in the 70-80g range and would prefer the 72g I think, but don't want to bring down the flight too much, though the head adjustments can help with that, too. Just want to make sure the 72g isn't going to bring it down too much on its own.

JB -

Just to confirm, you don't see much difference in launch, etc between the 61g and 72g? I've always played a shaft in the 70-80g range and would prefer the 72g I think, but don't want to bring down the flight too much, though the head adjustments can help with that, too. Just want to make sure the 72g isn't going to bring it down too much on its own.

I dont necessarily, but you have to remember part of that will be the INTL Flex Code someone is fitted for.

Wow really cool shafts from Miyazaki. Might have to check these out when I get my new driver.

just crazy shafts, really wanna have them !! :alien2:

I cant really offer a huge difference yet in terms of numbers comparing the three because ironically I have not put them side by side in the same head on the monitor. But to me, Kusala was the Miyazaki standard. Incredible feel, smooth shaft, and awesome all around performance. C. Kua kept most of those features and went with a lighter trend. Dromos seems to me more like the Kusala in terms of performance and feel, but is made specifically for adjustable drivers.

JB - Have you had a chance to test out the 3 Miyazakis in the same head on the launch monitor yet? Unfortunately, none of the fitters near me offer the full Miyazaki fitting, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts on how your numbers differed with the Kusalas and the Dromos.

JB - Have you had a chance to test out the 3 Miyazakis in the same head on the launch monitor yet? Unfortunately, none of the fitters near me offer the full Miyazaki fitting, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts on how your numbers differed with the Kusalas and the Dromos.

I have and with similar flex code, I get similar results. C. Kua being different of course.

Sure JB will have better input- but I've hit Kusala blue and black- and the blue worked best in my supertri.

Got a little higher flight and it felt little better.

I put a 44" dromos in my supertri now and Ita slighty lower more penetrating than the blue Kusala. But higher than a black.

I hit a 39g Kua buy didn't like it at all- ballooned on me - although I'm not a huge lightweight fan.

Thanks for the help guys. I hit my buddies Kusala Silver pretty well in my ST this past weekend so I'm on the hunt. I wish I could get truly fitted by Miyazaki rep or fitter, but havent had much luck. Think its too much to ask for someone out there to successfully translate Mizuno shaft optimizer numbers to the Miyazaki flex code (granted iron swing vs driver swing).

Thanks for the help guys. I hit my buddies Kusala Silver pretty well in my ST this past weekend so I'm on the hunt. I wish I could get truly fitted by Miyazaki rep or fitter, but havent had much luck. Think its too much to ask for someone out there to successfully translate Mizuno shaft optimizer numbers to the Miyazaki flex code (granted iron swing vs driver swing).

Might not be ideal but why not send an email/give Miyazakia call? I had a great talk with them about what shafts I liked, how I wanted to tweak the feel and the numbers and what head it would go into. They knew exactly how their shaft would play in various heads and how they would compare to others. They really know their stuff over there.

It's not near as good as getting a fitting onsite but if there's no hope of that, it's something to consider.

Back