Username changes: Why?

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
We haven't had a lot of members change their usernames, but every time it happens I wonder what brought it about? When I was thinking about moving out to California a while back, someone asked if I was going to change my name. Honestly, it had never entered my mind, and I told them no, I was going to keep this name no matter where I lived.

Some changes are subtle, so much so that most people don't even realize it. GolferGal comes to mind. Then other changes are borne out of necessity (OEM Kevin)!

Avatars are a different animal altogether, I know I have changed mine countless times! But usernames are an identity, and a change can throw forum members for a loop! I like to see people who make a drastic name change also change their tagline for a while to "Formerly known as . . ." or similar so we can get used to it!

So for everyone who has had a different username at THP than the one they are using now: What was it before and why the change?

Alright.

Aggro, my old name, represented an element of my past that I have tried to distance myself from. It is kinda stupid, a childhood obsession, a card game. The thing is, I was so into that game it basically consumed me. I did nothing else. I was very, very good. "aggro" was the last remnant of that game I had. It was time to cast it away. You can read more about my change in the Name and Avy thread.

Alright.

Aggro, my old name, represented an element of my past that I have tried to distance myself from. It is kinda stupid, a childhood obsession, a card game. The thing is, I was so into that game it basically consumed me. I did nothing else. I was very, very good. "aggro" was the last remnant of that game I had. It was time to cast it away. You can read more about my change in the Name and Avy thread.

Well that makes sense, I understand a change like that.

I often wonder why people change names too, not just on here but other sites as well.

i just shortened mine - initials were much easier to reference haha

I have been in a few online communittys where I honestly feel a good majority of people who are changing names are doing so to escape previous misbehaving's and trying to start fresh. I also have seen the same thing in far less mature and respectful communittys than this where someone has been taking an unneccesary amount of hazing and tries to escape it with a name change. Though in the scenarios Im reffering to an avatar change is also a must to make it effective. Sorry I know this wasnt really a true contribution to the thread, rather just an opinion on why I think its done in some cases.

Last edited:
I have been in a few online communittys where I honestly feel a good majority of people who are changing names are doing so to escape previous misbehaving's and trying to start fresh. I also have seen the same thing in far less mature and respectful communittys than this where someone has been taking an unneccesary amount of hazing and tries to escape it with a name change. Though in the scenarios Im reffering to an avatar change is also a must to make it affective. Sorry I know this wasnt really a true contribution to the thread, rather just an opinion on why I think its done in some cases.

Now that you mention it, I have seen this before. I find it interesting that people just change their entire attitude towards an individual just because they've been "tricked" by the person. Just goes to show they had no reason for the hazing to begin with. (Speaking from experience on online games. I got bashed once, signed in with another account, and they wanted to be my best friend.)

Degoins is my real name and have been considering changing to tripbogey. When I made my login I had no idea I had found a home. Degoins just doesn't make a good greeting name at the outings.

Whoa! aggro you changed your name...

Smalls I've noticed most of the name changes are from people signing up or getting directed from Facebook or another site and making their username their real full name, so they want a change after the mistake.

i wanna change my name to birdie_russ but thats not happenin

I've changed mine twice. Each time removing a little bit until it ended up as just Hawk. That's what everybody calls me in person at the outings.

I changed mine from tcalloway1 to TC, for the sheer fact that in every single post, all the time, everyone just called me TC, so I figured why not make the change. I didn't know name changes were possible until the outing.

I changed mine from DefCon1 to Sean because my name is Sean and didn't need a "weird" user name.

mine used to be thanks1974 but friends on the forum always called me Hanks and once at the Outings everyone called me Hanks too so it was just natural. Also was tough for people to type 'thanks thanks1974!' when I was answering a question of theirs so 'thanks Hanks!' was easier on everyone

I always liked thanks thanks.

I've been thinking about changing my user name; looked in the user control panel but didn't see an option to change it. I started using this name on other forums years ago because, at the time, I was a big fan of Deion Sanders...when he played for Dallas. Now, I really can't stand listening to the guy as an NFL analyst.

Mine changed from Kevin during the first THP Outing after tcalloway1 made an OEM comment. Need I say more?

Mine changed from Kevin during the first THP Outing after tcalloway1 made an OEM comment. Need I say more?

Those were the days huh Kevin? I always thought it was neat that you were just Kevin. No agenda, nothing to hide. Adding OEM when we did was like a year too late anyway. I shop vicariously through you, it's great. When's my custom NC putter showing up?

actually you were trademarked Kevin lol

Those were the days huh Kevin? I always thought it was neat that you were just Kevin. No agenda, nothing to hide. Adding OEM when we did was like a year too late anyway. I shop vicariously through you, it's great. When's my custom NC putter showing up?

Soon as you order it bro lol, just do it.

actually you were trademarked Kevin lol

actually acutally, lol, it was Kevin™ until some update killed my ™ and then it was Kevin.

I always wished I came up with something better than clam fist. On other forums I always went with Tipsy McStagger or El Caganer. The El Caganer name got me banned from Golf WRX, which led me to THP. BEst thing thatcould have happened. Now I would change it to just plain old clam.

I've been thinking about changing my user name; looked in the user control panel but didn't see an option to change it. I started using this name on other forums years ago because, at the time, I was a big fan of Deion Sanders...when he played for Dallas. Now, I really can't stand listening to the guy as an NFL analyst.

Name changes have to be approved by the admin, so email admin@thehackersparadise.com with your request. They will decide whether to allow it or not.

I've debated in dropping the 21. It just isn't needed anymore.

What was OEMs user before? I can't remember it. LOL

Edit: I would never do a drastic change, because I like my name and its unique. So I use it for everything. But I do want to move to Thain or Thainer. I just can't decide.

From the iPhone.

Edit: I would never do a drastic change, because I like my name and its unique. So I use it for everything. But I do want to move to Thain or Thainer. I just can't decide.

From the iPhone.

Your name always reminds me of the dude "Stainer" from the movie She's Out of My League

I have been in a few online communittys where I honestly feel a good majority of people who are changing names are doing so to escape previous misbehaving's and trying to start fresh. I also have seen the same thing in far less mature and respectful communittys than this where someone has been taking an unneccesary amount of hazing and tries to escape it with a name change. Though in the scenarios Im reffering to an avatar change is also a must to make it effective. Sorry I know this wasnt really a true contribution to the thread, rather just an opinion on why I think its done in some cases.

If that's why it's done, then I'm not for it. Making amends is the best way, and people have done so. There's some that have done it for the reason above, and I'm not sure that's a good thing. The saying "you only get one chance to make a first impression" doesn't apply in that case. You should be able to make amends, but not take up a whole new identity. Maybe in time, but not for the sole purpose of covering past misdeeds.

What does the 21 mean? I don't know when the last time was that I called you anything other than Thainer.

Well I know I'm new to THP and all, but I have been AvionicsMan for a very long time. I will change my avatar form time to time. Just wondering why some of you don't show us what you really look like? I put my big ole bald head up there!! Just wondering?

Back