Future of Product Testing on THP

I want everyone to know (at least this is my take from JB's post) that this is a "clearing of the air" thread. If you have a problem or a concern, please, feel free to share it either here or via private message.

I won't lie, there's plenty of times I get upset b/c I can't enter to test certain products, b/c I'm left handed. I love my role here on THP, I am always here to answer questions, to give advice, so yeah, I get frustrated when I don't have the opportunity to throw my name in the hat.

oh, well then I will say something that has really bothered me. So, before the Morgan Cup, I had posted that I was nervous for the day of and getting in. Well, I recieved a PM pretty much stating that I should have no reason to be nervous having TC as a brother. He will be able to get me in and get me ALL the answers. Well, that was wrong and quite frankly pissed me off! Then they tried to turn it around as a joke and it obviously was not. I have not told anyone about this but needed to get it off my chest as I was pissed. I had to do exactly as everyone else did to get into the Morgan Cup. And FWIW, I have no advantage over anyone else to get anything just because he is my brother, I happen to think I spend a lot of time on here, I never complain, and I always try to do whats best for THP. So, if anyone wants to sound off on TC being my bro then please do so!

Love, Overton

This thread makes me sad and slightly miffed that people are upset the don't get free stuff. Ho hum.

If it's that much of a problem, and you wouldn't be making this post if it wasn't, I suppose expanding the tester team and only having them do the product reviews. It would ensure quality reviews but also consistent reviews. If I know that tester X swings more like me, then his reviews become more worth while which would be the next best thing to testing something myself.

Honestly JB,

I am all for any of those 3 ideas or any you have in mind as well. I think it's not on your part and you shouldn't be sorry for hurting peoples feelings, I don't think it hurts their feelings at all and perhaps are just throwing that out to be considered for next time. I think some people aren't getting the message that it takes patience and activity like you said to be chosen for testing.

I think some need to keep the complaining to a minimum and just understand there is a reason why the people chosen were chosen and better luck next time for the rest of you, eventually if you are here long enough you will get selected, I've been here for three years and am currently testing my very first product right now. It's a great honor to be testing things for this forum and I think a few need to grow up a little, it's not the end of the world.

Be patient and your time will come. In my opinion I think you should experiment a little with the ideas you put forth and see which one works best. I don't mind any of those at all and would even encourage stuff being sent out to halt for a little bit so some THPers could see what this forum is really about instead of the "Free Gear" brainwash.

I agree with you Dent. People need to be patient and their time will come. Its very true that peoples feelings could get hurt. BUT, there is nothing on the site that gurantees you will get picked to do a forum test. I myself have only been picked for one test (albeit I am a fairly new member) but I was VERY grateful to be picked and be a part of the testing (so grateful that help JB/GG with their substantial shipping bill). If I had not gotten picked, would I have complained? No. I realize that whomever is picked will be able to provide sufficient feedback about whatever product is being tested.

The purpose of the testing is to get and idea for the product, not just free equipment. The fact that there is a forum that even offers this awesome opportunity has made me realize what great people there are in the world.

To answer your questions simply:

Any of the above methods you choose, I will still be a forum member and eager to read reviews and be a part of this community.

You are 100000% correct. That is what this thread is for. I hate hearing that people are upset because they feel as though they deserve something and did not get it.

The LH thing is tough, it really is. We wish it could be another way, but that part is out of our control.

The reality is that testing is a privilege and an honor not a right. Someone of the opinion that they "deserve" to test product is whack. Just my opinion though.

oh, well then I will say something that has really bothered me. So, before the Morgan Cup, I had posted that I was nervous for the day of and getting in. Well, I recieved a PM pretty much stating that I should have no reason to be nervous having TC as a brother. He will be able to get me in and get me ALL the answers. Well, that was wrong and quite frankly pissed me off! Then they tried to turn it around as a joke and it obviously was not. I have not told anyone about this but needed to get it off my chest as I was pissed. I had to do exactly as everyone else did to get into the Morgan Cup. And FWIW, I have no advantage over anyone else to get anything just because he is my brother, I happen to think I spend a lot of time on here, I never complain, and I always try to do whats best for THP. So, if anyone wants to sound off on TC being my bro then please do so!

Love, Overton

That is a real shame. While TC and biggsy helped with some planning and have been a huge asset to setting up the Morgan Cup, nothing could be further from the truth. That one hurts me a little that someone would think that we would do anything of the sort.

Trying to think of a good way to word this...

Testing isn't easy. I think some people who want to test kinda look at it as free gear. But there is a huge responsibility with it. It's almost nerve wracking at times because you want to get all the info you can out there but also be as subjective as possible. It's not easy.

It's also not easy for THP to choose people to test products. They take a huge risk giving equipment out, having us test because if we dont deliver for whatever reason it looks bad on them. Not saying if you dont like a club but if you don't give updates, feedback and are completely honest I can see it hurting THP. I don't know if I'm 100% but I think people need to look at those things. There have been times I dont get to test out equipment but you know what, I love being here because I love being here. Testing equipment is a bonus and not a right. I understand being disappointed if your heart is in the right place. But you still have to understand THP needs to know you'll deliver.

Good lord I dont know if that made sense but I'm baffled people are complaining.

Any of the above methods you choose, I will still be a forum member and eager to read reviews and be a part of this community.

My sentiments exactly.

The reality is that testing is a privilege and an honor not a right. Someone of the opinion that they "deserve" to test product is whack. Just my opinion though.

I agree in theory, but in the end, I think its human nature to be disappointed. I can see the other side with people saying "what do they have that I dont have". Im on THP a lot. I post a lot, I never get picked. That is why I wanted to post, because I am so conflicted.

This thread makes me sad and slightly miffed that people are upset the don't get free stuff. Ho hum.

If it's that much of a problem, and you wouldn't be making this post if it wasn't, I suppose expanding the tester team and only having them do the product reviews. It would ensure quality reviews but also consistent reviews. If I know that tester X swings more like me, then his reviews become more worth while which would be the next best thing to testing something myself.

I think that perhaps expanding the tester base is a good idea as well, but you're exactly right, it would be imperative to have testers that range dramatically in skill levels.

Although, I do like the forum testing quite a bit. There's certain guys that I've had the pleasure of playing with and I tend to put more stock in their reviews based on their skill level. Is that fair? I don't know, but I figure it helps me a lot more.

+2...on all you said!

JB I think it's a good idea that you addressed this issue and created an open forum for discussion. I think the way testing is done now is great. Is it perfect for everyone, apparently not, but I don't see a perfect solution. I think things have gotten better, heck just back last fall you could only test if you live in the United States(due to manufacturers guidelines I believe) but now we have testers in Canada which is great. I didn't come to THP to be able to test equipment, but I have been very lucky to have been chosen to test irons, balls, gloves. Would I be upset if I didn't get those opportunities? Probably not because it's not what I came here for. I think that testing should be kept the way it is, when the opportunity to test presents itself, apply for it and if you are not picked don't get mad about it. This is an extremely unique place and I'd hate to see things get messed up because of sour grapes.

oh, well then I will say something that has really bothered me. So, before the Morgan Cup, I had posted that I was nervous for the day of and getting in. Well, I received a PM pretty much stating that I should have no reason to be nervous having TC as a brother. He will be able to get me in and get me ALL the answers. Well, that was wrong and quite frankly pissed me off! Then they tried to turn it around as a joke and it obviously was not. I have not told anyone about this but needed to get it off my chest as I was pissed. I had to do exactly as everyone else did to get into the Morgan Cup. And FWIW, I have no advantage over anyone else to get anything just because he is my brother, I happen to think I spend a lot of time on here, I never complain, and I always try to do whats best for THP. So, if anyone wants to sound off on TC being my bro then please do so!

Love, Overton

Now thats a mind blower, you have got to be kidding. I won't lie, I was disappointed at not making the team, but I was disappointed at my own stupidity. For anyone to think you have a special out through TC is more a sign of that individual and not the way THP does things.

Another possibility would be to require people to send the items back after testing is complete. I think it's the concept of people getting to keep them that attracts a lot of people wanting to test with the wrong intentions. If you require the stuff to be sent back, it would completely weed out the people there for just the free stuff. Although it would be pretty worn and such, maybe it could go to a good cause or the stuff even be sold at a later date on the marketplace or something creative like that.

I think no matter how you do it there will always be those that feel like they are being cheated. That's just the way that some people are built. People will get their feelings hurt if they aren't chosen. However, they will be even more hurt and will hurt others if their attitude can't be more positive when they aren't on the receiving end of these great products. I can full well understand why this can cause a state of unrest with the staff at THP that could possibly lead to discontinuing member testing. I do think that providing random members with equipment will always continue to spawn growth of interest in the site and the equipment that the OEMs are trying to sell. I haven't been picked yet after putting in for several products even though I try to be active on the forums, but I don't ever give it more than a passing thought when I'm not selected. I don't because I know that I'm no more qualified or entitled than the people that you did pick. I also know that some day I'll get to review something great for y'all that might be even better than what I was just passed on. I think that everyone should just realize that what you guys are doing is bigger than just them getting free equipment. You guys continue to do what you do the way that y'all want to do it! You've been crazy successful with it thus far.

That pisses me off. Sorry if this is not the place JB/GG. Just had to say it.

Love, Overton

Another possibility would be to require people to send the items back after testing is complete. I think it's the concept of people getting to keep them that attracts a lot of people wanting to test with the wrong intentions. If you require the stuff to be sent back, it would completely weed out the people there for just the free stuff.

We have thought about this as well.

Now thats a mind blower, you have got to be kidding. I won't lie, I was disappointed at not making the team, but I was disappointed at my own stupidity. For anyone to think you have a special out through TC is more a sign of that individual and not the way THP does things.

It was a mind blower Duey, I didnt want to but I kept the PM's very nice. I was on fire though!

JB,
I'm also of the opinion that you can't please every one. No matter how you do it someone will complain.
That being said, I really hope you continue to do just what you're doing. I'm an average golfer and I truly appreciate the input and reviews of other average golfers. I want to know if a club/ball/training aid/widget worked or not for a hacker just like me. I have found great value in the reviews on THP, especially when the tester shares thier good and bad days with the product. And the reviews on this sight have informed my purchases.
My $.02

Very good way to bring up a tough subject. I love that forum members get the chance to review products here and think that it is one thing that makes this place special. That said, I'm disappointed when I see people shirk on their duties or get upset that they are getting a product that want exactly what they envisioned.

As fun as it us to get equipment, the number one thing that people need to know is that there are readers that we never hear from that might be using our findings as a basis to spend their money. To me, that is a huge responsibility.

I love being a staff member more now than I did at first during all the excitement. I love to know that I can be part of something that helps golfers looking for information. I was that guy looking for quite awhile and THP helped me many times.

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

Just a quick thought, maybe there could be a VIP or even expand the staffers for the expensive equipment.

Possibly restrict the number of times one can submit for testing in a year so people don't submit for everything whether or not is is something they need/could get benefit from. Right now, I don't submit for balls or clubs since I just got new clubs and am seriously trying to fix my swing so ball changes aren't really something I need.

just thoughts...

Personally I have not had the opportunity to test something through THP but it was an online search for reviews of a golf shoe that brought me to this site over a year ago. The testing through the people that actually belong to this site has been the #1 motivator for me to log on. I have even had the chance to give my own reviews on products that I have purchased and I hope that they have helped others on here make decisions. I have to admit that I throw my hat in the ring almost every time there is an opportunity to review something on the forums, I have not been chosen but I see sometimes hundreds of people doing the same thing and realize that I just don't have the luck or the activity yet. I don't think that this program should stop, I believe it is the reviews from regular guys and gals that keeps people coming back to read about products. I can get a review from some who is a single digit handicap or someone who is a 20+ and it all matters. This is an invaluable tool to someone looking to update their equipment or learn about new technology and then see how the average golfer can use it on the course and even ask them specific questions. There is no other program out there like this and I really hope you can find a way to continue it because It is reading those reviews that gets me through the cold winters and keeps me in the golf dome when we have 4ft of snow!

Hope I was able to help.

Honestly, I have no idea who picks the testers or how they are picked. I just fill in my info and wish myself luck. I have been able to test 2 golf balls for THP and appreciated the opportunity. I have put my name in the hat for many more testing opportunites but didn't get chosen. I didn't get mad, and I don't understand why someone would. If you are here to try to get free stuff, then I think you are here for the wrong reason. Product testing is just a small piece of the THP pie and it carries a big responsiblity. As far as a solution, I lean towards a VIP program that would be tied to a donation as someone else said previously. I know it's not cheap to ship packages across the country and as a tester I would be glad to help with the costs. Other than that, I don't know what would be best.

I get disappointed but it drives me to do better with the opportunities I get. So while I see that people will get upset, shouldnt they want to know what they need to do rather than complain? I'm not arguing with you just piggy backing off your post.

I agree in theory, but in the end, I think its human nature to be disappointed. I can see the other side with people saying "what do they have that I dont have". Im on THP a lot. I post a lot, I never get picked. That is why I wanted to post, because I am so conflicted.

Everyone on here would love the oppurtunity to test clubs, me included! With that being said I agree with the people who said leave it the way it is. You guys/girls are NEVER going to make everyone happy here! I value and appreciate the fact that anyone from a +1 to a 22 handicap has the OPPURTUNITY to have test the best stuff on the market today! Golf Digest ain't doing that! This is a place where you can read a review from someone who may be struggling with the same swing flaws that you struggle from and take his/her review and decide if it is good for your game or not. And maybe I will never ever get the chance to demo something for THP but it's not going to stop me from coming on here everyday and checking others opinions/write ups of clubs that I may want!

If people are joining THP to "get free stuff" then I say it's the wrong reason for joining! From reading all of the posts on here it seems as though this is a place to meet new people and converse about something that we all share a common ground on! It seems as though people loose site of what it's all about. Maybe you get picked, maybe you don't but I would rather read a review from a member of THP then an article in a golf magazine any day. Keep doing what you guys are doing! I'm sure this FORUM was not ever really intended as a place to JUST give away free stuff! If people wanna complain about not being selected, so be it! There are a TON of people on here that love the site for what it contains and not what it gives away!

I say, keep it the way it is. Doing a VIP thing would not be good because I feel it gets away from THP being what made them who they are. I am sure there are people on here that are not in great financial situations that might be wonderful testers but can not affored to give $20 or what not. I just dont think its THP style.

I think the way it is done is THP style. and there should be a rule, if you complain about a contest, seeding, testing then you get banned. Its mind blowing that people complain

Back