Future of Product Testing on THP

Just a quick thought, maybe there could be a VIP or even expand the staffers for the expensive equipment.

Possibly restrict the number of times one can submit for testing in a year so people don't submit for everything whether or not is is something they need/could get benefit from. Right now, I don't submit for balls or clubs since I just got new clubs and am seriously trying to fix my swing so ball changes aren't really something I need.

just thoughts...

There usually is the restriction that if you are currently testing something, you can't apply for other testing gigs.

Trying to think of a good way to word this...

Testing isn't easy. I think some people who want to test kinda look at it as free gear. But there is a huge responsibility with it. It's almost nerve wracking at times because you want to get all the info you can out there but also be as subjective as possible. It's not easy.

It's also not easy for THP to choose people to test products. They take a huge risk giving equipment out, having us test because if we dont deliver for whatever reason it looks bad on them. Not saying if you dont like a club but if you don't give updates, feedback and are completely honest I can see it hurting THP. I don't know if I'm 100% but I think people need to look at those things. There have been times I dont get to test out equipment but you know what, I love being here because I love being here. Testing equipment is a bonus and not a right. I understand being disappointed if your heart is in the right place. But you still have to understand THP needs to know you'll deliver.

Good lord I dont know if that made sense but I'm baffled people are complaining.

Made perfect sense and I agree 100%. It is a responsiblity that I know I take VERY seriously. I just hope that I can provide as such good info that has been giving my the other testers out there.

It is a huge bonus to those who are willing to put the time in and do the best they can.

I know it's impossible to make everyone happy all the time. I think THP does do a good job of breaking things down and selecting the best people for the job.

I can understand why someone may be dissapointed not being selected but I also think its silly to be upset or negative about it. Just because you were not select on a specific occasion does not mean you will never have an oppurtunitty. I mean getting mad about it doesnt make sense to me since this is the only place I have ever seen that offers such perks to their forum member's on an unbiased level. Since I have been here I havent read one thing that promised anybody they would recieve anything from THP other than great information and a comunitty of great people that all share the same passion for golf. On the other hand THP has made it clear that if you are an active contributing member there is always the possibility for testing and other great oppurtunitty's and I dont know how you could ask for anything more. I personally feel that the method of testing THP has going is probably one of if not the finest around simply because it allows for testing from a much larger demographic with varied backgrounds and opinions on what makes a product good. I can honestly say that I dont just feel this way because I was fortunate enough to be selected to test a product because I would be the same person with the same passion for THP today if I had not been selected and even if I knew I would not be selected. IMO if you enjoy being a member of THP soley because you think your going to get free stuff then your missing the whole purpose and idea of this place. If there are people on here that really feel less passionate about this place because they havent gotten to test equipment I find that a little dissapointing. Just knowing that any of us even have the posibility to participate in the many things that go on here should be good enough for all of us. Sorry that was a bit of a rant, my bad.

WOW I am sitting here wondering what to say without hurting someones feelings, and about the only way I know to say it is to do just that and say it. If I hurt someones feeling then for that I will apologize now.

I have been on this site for quite some time and have watched it grow and develop into what I think is something more than just a golf forum. I really like bantering back and forth with folks, and have many that I call friends and am proud to do so. I have also enjoyed having some place to go to ask questions and opinions and know that I am going to get some honest feedback. I have been selected to test some items and not been selected to test many more. I am fine with this, as I think to spread the wealth so to speak is the best way to find out more information about a product.

I happen to like the testing system as it is now. I realize that not everyone can get picked to test equipment. The forum testers, as I would expect, get picked more as they have accepted that role and is their part of their contribution to this site. The forum testers are guys who's opioion I have come to respect and trust.

When the remainder of the testing is spread out it gives us all a broad spectrum of abilities, thoughts, and opinions. I happen to like this as not everyone will not like everrything and it gives us all honest feedback. I for one don't one just one set of opinions on equipment, I look for a variety of thoughts and likes and dislikes. I would actually not like to get picked for everything because as JB can attest it can adversely effect the level of the game they play, and that is not good either. I have been on here for almost two years and have really enjoyed everything that all the testers have had to say about the items they tested, whether it was a positive or not.

For the members who have not happened to get selected for something, well stick around, because as I have heard on here before, You aint seen nothing yet. This not only applies to the testing but for things like the Morgan Cup. I did not qualify for it, and while I would have loved to have been a part of this I realize the cut off had to be made somewhere and that is fine by me. I will be privilaged enough to play with several members on here come May and the Rocky Mountain Get Together. There are plenty of opportunities to participate and we all need to be patient, be active, be honest, and things will happen.

JB and GG I happen to think you are on the right track with how you have things set up now. I know not everyone is happy but with anyway that you do the testing I don't think there will be any way to make everyone happy.

OK enough for my rambling.

JB Gives an inch and a Troll demands a yard.
This thread shuold only be 1 post long.
I hate myself now.

No other golf blog does what THP does. Complainers about not getting chosen should shut up.

I say, keep it the way it is. Doing a VIP thing would not be good because I feel it gets away from THP being what made them who they are. I am sure there are people on here that are not in great financial situations that might be wonderful testers but can not affored to give $20 or what not. I just dont think its THP style.

I think the way it is done is THP style. and there should be a rule, if you complain about a contest, seeding, testing then you get banned. Its mind blowing that people complain

I feel the same way about the VIP thing.

Like JB, TC and others have said this really is an open thread for people to voice their opinions no matter what they are. If you are someone who doesn't like the way we do things or feels like the testing is unfair please let us know and let us know what you think needs to be done to fix it. You have my promise that I will NOT let anyone attack you in this thread because all thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Going off what some other people have said what if we required the testers to pay for their own shipping? I hate asking for anyone on here to pay for anything but maybe that is an option?

Yes GG, if someone gets selected to do anything for THP and they don't have a donor tag, I write their reviews off for the most part. If someone can't give back to a place that gives to them, ALL THE TIME, I won't give them my attention in their review. I also think that there are plenty of ways to give back besides paying for shipping. How about buying something out of the THP store?

That bolded part I would do in a heartbeat.

You're right GG and if my posts came off jerkish please accept my apology. If I had a differing opinion other than what it is, I'd certainly appreciate everyone being open to mine as well.

Like JB, TC and others have said this really is an open thread for people to voice their opinions no matter what they are. If you are someone who doesn't like the way we do things or feels like the testing is unfair please let us know and let us know what you think needs to be done to fix it. You have my promise that I will NOT let anyone attack you in this thread because all thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Going off what some other people have said what if we required the testers to pay for their own shipping? I hate asking for anyone on here to pay for anything but maybe that is an option?

i have a question. would thp concider testers from abroad? im probally not the only one wondering but probally the only one with the nuts to ask. it doesnt bother me either way i enjoy thp for being a golf forum but it was just a thought

Few thoughts off the cuff after reading through this thread:

- As someone else stated: Testers should be required to send equipment back to THP after XX days of testing (could differ based on product). Some items could not be returned obviously such as balls.
- The tester could be required to ship the item to another tester after they have completed XX days of testing. Perhaps it makes 2-3 rounds of testing before going back to THP. This would also provide more feedback on the product without the sense of ownership.
- Reviews are then graded by THP staff and that has a important rating on future testing selections for that forum member.

I think too often people just throw their names out there regardless of the product because it is a freebie. I know personally that I asked to do to the Polara testing (as a strong slicer off the tee) and the Compression Board testing because I hit many fat iron shots. I did not put my name in for the latest Taylor Made gear that went out because I do not think I have adequate experience / feel, etc to really compare the products to others.

Hopefully a good plan can be found to mitigate these issues as it is very sad that people are upset for not getting to test (or possibly to just not get a free whatever is being asked to review).

I agree in theory, but in the end, I think its human nature to be disappointed. I can see the other side with people saying "what do they have that I dont have". Im on THP a lot. I post a lot, I never get picked. That is why I wanted to post, because I am so conflicted.

What are they posting? How well are the posts written? Are they making the forum better? You and GG see the entries. You see how they are written. Your business, :thp: and its reputation is on the line everytime somebody gets selected to participate as a tester for these products. I guarantee you that Taylormade, Cleveland, WilsonStaff, and others will stop cooperating with THP if dolts get selected to do the testing.

I want to add to this and say that anything said in this thread is about this thread only. Voice your mind no matter what it is. That is what this is about. We have heard from many that seem fine with the way it is, but we do know its not for everybody or this thread would not be up right?

From a newbie's perspective, I find it pretty surprising that you guys are getting so much backlash about not being chosen for testing. There was no way I "expected" to be chosen for any testing in my first few months here, not when there are people who have been here for years, with thousands of post also willing to test. To my surprise, I was chosen for the polara ball testing, and took it seriously. I have NO argument whatsoever with who the THP chooses for testing. I have no argument with OEMs requesting what type of golfers do the majority of the testing. I can certainly appreciate an OEM targeting certain ranges of golfers, or certain golfers playing certain equipment for the testing.

The days of Christmas contest were the only time I was "sad" I didnt 'win'. Like other CONTESTS, I figured I had the same chance of winning as someone who has been here for several years with the same number of twitter retweets and recent posts. I see contests as being very different than testing.

Could THP do testing categories, and allow members to only sign up for 1 category? So club testers cannot contribute to Clothing, balls, training aids, etc testing?

Like others, allowing people to pay for their own shipping will allow more people outside of the US to participate in more events.

Last edited:
I'm just ecstatic that there is a place where objective and in depth reviews of new equipment occur. Before coming across THP I had the worst time trying to determine what clubs might be interesting or how they would actually perform. Being left handed significantly limits my demo opportunities so having a place like this is great. I doubt that I'll ever get to test. I really don't care if I do or not. It's really impressive that the companies would allow for advance testing of their products by a bunch of amateurs. I think it's great.

I just want to thank you guys for the work you do and the information you put out there. There's no other place to find it!

Yes GG, if someone gets selected to do anything for THP and they don't have a donor tag, I write their reviews off for the most part. If someone can't give back to a place that gives to them, ALL THE TIME, I won't give them my attention in their review. I also think that there are plenty of ways to give back besides paying for shipping. How about buying something out of the THP store?

ouch. I do have a problem with that TC.
If THP does not want to choose their testers based on Donor's that's fine. They have every right to run their site the way they want. But some people don't donate because they can't afford to.

I would have to say that I have been very impressed with the way testing has been done so far. I haven't tested anything yet, but I definitely enjoy reading the reviews and feedback. I also love the fact that anyone on the website could be chosen. This brings such a personal element to the forum that I think many of us enjoy. The fact that I even could be chosen gives me goosebumps. Heck, I was excited to try out 3 stupid balls from Titleist. I can't imagine how fired up I'd be with a driver or irons......

Why not? That seems remarkably reasonable.

Someone did mention about limiting each member to a certain amount of testing each year. Maybe it's a certain amount of times you can sign up or a certain number of tests you can actually administer. If your looking to make sure that everyone has a chance to be involved while showing that it is being done fairly this seems like a reasonable way to do that.

1 is not attractive, THP becomes like any other mag.
2 is even less attractive.
3 is not even an option.

Ie, stick to what you're doing, it's a winning concept.

See the thing is I don't want this to be that people should have to pay us to do testing. But I am just wondering if we charged just for the shipping then maybe people wouldn't feel entitled to be a tester since the testers did have to put some effort into it. It will also eliminate some of the MIA testers like with the ball testing. To be completely honest it cost me anywhere from $5 to $8 to ship those balls per person for 118 people. That's a lot of money and then to have people never come back and report on the golf balls is a real slap in the face, at least that's how I feel. But I also don't ever want to alienate a person because they don't have the financial means to pay for something. I feel like that's a tough situation and I am not sure what the right thing to do is.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you suggesting a general admission price to teh forum? Or just supporting the VIP idea for testers?
And then what about those who contribute the lowest number versus people who contribute $150+?

That is something else that comes up. I will say it here first. If you get selected for testing (regardless of the product) and do a half ass job, you will not get selected again most likely. Its about details, its about helping others. That is what testing is about in my opinion.

I don't know if this matters or not but I would imagine that it would make a lot more sense for you guys to select testers in warmer climates. If you have an advance release product that you are trying to get reviewed it wouldn't make much sense to send it to me in Nebraska where there's snow on the ground if my brothers in the South are able to get on the links... just my 2 cents....

I want to add to this and say that anything said in this thread is about this thread only. Voice your mind no matter what it is. That is what this is about. We have heard from many that seem fine with the way it is, but we do know its not for everybody or this thread would not be up right?

I guess they dont want to come out on the forum and say anything.

I'd just make it an honest raffle of the thp members who have entered their name into the hat. If testing is the intent, state that in the rules. You could say it is expected that the tester play 1 round a week for 12 weeks and ask for the scores to see how the clubs are affecting their game. If the obligation is not met they would be removed from eligibility. Lots of people have entered and never won who'd make great testers as well, I'm sure. Frankly I'd rather hear from a broad range of testers because it is a better representation of the results. Right now it seems like an agreement contest or a mutual admiration society. Just my 2 cents.

Back