Future of Product Testing on THP

Wow TC, I have only been on this site for a few months and I have generally thought you are one of the best posters on the site. But this statement is in my opinion, is the worst post I have ever seen by you. To just write off people's testing efforts because they have not donated is absolutely rediculous, especially if they do a great job reviewing. Remember, they are putting time and effort into the testing as well. Each review should stand on it's own! Good or bad. I saw plenty of terrible reviews in the Polara review thread, BY DONORS. 1 or 2 paragraphs saying that ball isn't for them, etc. With statements like yours, you could really alianate a group of THP members that may not be in a position to donate money.
That said, I will be donating soon and if you can, you should donate. But you should never have to to gain a profile on here.

Saying the ball isnt for them and what they didnt like about the ball is called HONEST FEEDBACK, that is what THP IS ABOUT, no marketing, no sugar coating, what did you like? what did you not like? would you game this? That simple.

Thanks JB/GG for starting this thread. It is puzzling to me that people would complain about something as good as THP. I found THP through twitter and was looking for a honest review site with actual feedback from hackers like me. I entered the Morgan cup fully aware that I would not make the minimum 500 posts. Wanted to but obviously there is not enough free time in my day to throw up that many posts. I am excited for the members that made it into the event. Glad we have some rep from BC to slap around you Americans!! Hehe. Kidding!! (go coolbreeze go). Would I like to test some equipment or plant some golf balls into the fairway or the fairway to my right. Sure would be awesome. I did try the R11 fairway wood this weekend SWEET ! It is sad that people need to complain about not getting chosen. Maybe something that could rectify the mood is if whomever is selected to test clubs and stuff be omitted from the next round so more people can have an opportunity on the next testing items. Just a thought.

Cheers

I don't think that merely participating in the forum is good enough. I can participate all day with "+1" posts. That is not the same as asking if the leading edge of the CBs is too aggressive for a person who takes big divots. Quality participation is different than quantity of participation.

Well I didn't mean replying Zippity do da.... +1 to get your post count up to get in The Morgan Cup. I agree Quality VS Quantity when it comes to replying in a thread. If I doesn't add to the thread its not helpful. Several forums have Clubhouse section where post count doesn't add to their total when it doesn't apply to golf.

Wow TC, I have only been on this site for a few months and I have generally thought you are one of the best posters on the site. But this statement is in my opinion, is the worst post I have ever seen by you. To just write off people's testing efforts because they have not donated is absolutely rediculous, especially if they do a great job reviewing. Remember, they are putting time and effort into the testing as well. Each review should stand on it's own! Good or bad. I saw plenty of terrible reviews in the Polara review thread, BY DONORS. 1 or 2 paragraphs saying that ball isn't for them, etc. With statements like yours, you could really alianate a group of THP members that may not be in a position to donate money.

That said, I will be donating soon and if you can, you should donate. But you should never have to to gain a profile on here.

I definitely understand that anything helps and as soon as I am personally able to I plan on making a donation. My point was that you don't know everyones situation here. You are entitled to your opinion.

Guys, I am not attacking either of you. I have been here for a while. I have seen people piss and moan about poker chips selling out, so THP orders more, then it takes forever for them to sale them. I have seen people ask for hats, THP gets hats, they still have them. I have seen people get upset b/c the outing fills up, THP calls PGA NAtional, requests more slots, guess what, they don't fill up quickly. DO they go eventually? Yes, but that's money out of THP's pocket. All I'm saying is, if you want to throw your name in the hat to test something and you are selected, please give back to the site. It costs them to ship the items. By donating or supporting the store, you are saying thank you for the opportunity, you are supporting the place that is putting goods in your hands.

I have every right to take from a review what I choose to. I know who's here for the right reasons and who's not (again, this is not directed at either of you). Just as you are disappointed in my post, I'm just as disappointed that you haven't supported THP. Are we both entitled to these disappointments? I believe so.

Sorry if I let you down, not my intention.

I do want to bring something up on the question of just building staff. I love reading forum members feedback, a lot more than staffers reviews. Now, don't get me wrong, the staff reviewers do a fantastic job and I do take the time to read their reviews, but they don't always carry much weight in my decision making. The reason why I say this stems from my researches before joining THP. There are a lot of websites that carry only staffers reviews and sometimes I may be biased because I think it's their job, they tests so many clubs, perhaps their thinking gets blurred, or maybe the short period of time they tested the club, they weren't playing great. Meanwhile, if I get to read reviews from forum members, I feel I can relate more to their thinking. I think of the Wilson Staff Di 11 thread and read that thread and think, too bad I just bought new irons last year because they have me convinced in the product before I even seen them live. To sum it up, the staffer reviews are great for piquing my interest, but the forum testers reviews are where most of my decisions will be influenced. (Again let me state that I'm in no way saying the staff reviews are inferior, just the reason for my bias)

I'm just getting caught up on this tread and I wanted to share a few quick thoughts:

- First, look at the bottom of the page and take note of how many people are currently viewing this thread. As I write this post there are 66 people! There are obviously lots of people that care about this site and value the information that can be found here. I think a large part of that value comes from the fact that equipment is seeded to lots of different individuals and these different individuals continue to provide honest feedback, different perspectives, different testing techniques, etc. That being said, I personally like the way testing is spread throughout the membership currently.

- I understand that some people might be upset about the way things are handled currently. Human nature dictates that you can't please everyone. While JB and GG do their best to make that happen, at the end of the day some people are always going to be looking for freebies and will be upset when they don't get them. There are other golf forums out there (albeit, non like this one), so I urge members who are upset to take a look at some other places (just make sure you come back!). I can guarantee you won't find another site like this one, with owners who genuinely care about their members and members who actually care about their fellow members.

- To those who do get upset, a few quick words of advice. As has been said several times in this post, tenure and activity level play a role in testing selection. It follows, therefore, that if you want to be a tester, stick around and get more involved in the site. Don't whine, participate productively!

- Finally, I wanted to quickly touch on one idea that I picked up in the thread that I liked. I think that requiring testers to pay for their own shipping costs is very reasonable. I think this alone will reduce the number of people who sign up just to get something for free.

I want to process more of what has been said here and then I'm certain I'll have some more feedback.

Don't fix what isn't broken. Just because those complaining are often the loudest does not make them the majority.

rep given for this one, well done

I think that this could work as long as it is specifically stated in the entry rules. We will have XX testers with a rating of 100+, we will have YYY testers with a rating of 50-99, and we will have ZZZ testers with a rating of 0-49. As long as the criteria is displayed, there should be little alienation; it shows you are trying to be fair to all.

in my experience, online ratings will turn out just like Rep. Bitter and angry.

I am a new member. Signed up early last week.

The biggest reason I signed up was the testing. Not necessarily to actually be chosen, but because I found it so interesting to read about the testers and the new products. I can only hope that someday I get chosen to be a tester, but that is not the real reason for signing up nor will I be crushed if I am never picked.

Although I am trying to become a teacher and coach, I currently work at Dick's Sporting Goods in the golf department while substitute teaching. THP has improved my ability to sell the RIGHT clubs to my customers over this past week. Everyone comes in to buy an R11 and before this website, I just went about saying alright lets hit the R11 and get you a headcover. The managers loved it because I was getting $400 sales. However, I get so much more satisfaction now knowing that I possibly put someone in the right club for them. I haven't heard much feedback yet being that it's only been a week, but hopefully some begin coming back in soon.

I think THP should keep the testing the way it currently is. I think it is one of the most attractive things about this site.

Also... now that I have been a member for a week or so, I must say I can't believe how many people on here have truly formed friendships with other members.

I think I will be sticking around here for a long time. I will be telling my friends about it and hopefully my high school golfers someday.

Keep doing what you've been doing THP. It attracted me and I'm sure many others.

I love this post!

I
Im really confused by this? What do you mean by your answers. Care to elaborate?

You posed these questions:
Do we just add more people to our staff and send to them only for testing?
Do we start a VIP program and only members of that program are eligible?
Do we just scrap it completely and not do forum testing anymore and just do contests?

And I responded to them as 1-2-3. Sorry if unclear.

personally id say make a testers pool and set a minimum donation of say $20 to join it that way only persons serious about testing are going to join.

JB, I have a question for you.

I do not think that "forum testing" on THP is overly, improperly biased, but I do often wonder whether there is temptation/reverse incentive to say "nice" things about the equipment being tested because they think this will increase their chances of being selected for another testing opportunity. I do NOT think that THP operates in this fashion whatsoever. I am just curious as to whether you think this could be an unintended consequence of forum testing and if there are ways to combat that? Do you think this happens among forum testers? I haven't necessarily seen any examples of this on THP, just curious.

Yes GG, if someone gets selected to do anything for THP and they don't have a donor tag, I write their reviews off for the most part. If someone can't give back to a place that gives to them, ALL THE TIME, I won't give them my attention in their review.

Seriously? I donno TC but that sounds pretty VIP to me. Also looks like a good way to miss out on good reviews just because they don't have a 'special VIP tag'. Are you suggesting that members can 'buy' access to testing at THP? Isn't that exactly the opposite of what THP is all about? There are lots of ways to give to THP without money. The site is nothing without content remember....

Good post AHA! I like it.
I'm just getting caught up on this tread and I wanted to share a few quick thoughts:

- First, look at the bottom of the page and take note of how many people are currently viewing this thread. As I write this post there are 66 people! There are obviously lots of people that care about this site and value the information that can be found here. I think a large part of that value comes from the fact that equipment is seeded to lots of different individuals and these different individuals continue to provide honest feedback, different perspectives, different testing techniques, etc. That being said, I personally like the way testing is spread throughout the membership currently.

- I understand that some people might be upset about the way things are handled currently. Human nature dictates that you can't please everyone. While JB and GG do their best to make that happen, at the end of the day some people are always going to be looking for freebies and will be upset when they don't get them. There are other golf forums out there (albeit, non like this one), so I urge members who are upset to take a look at some other places (just make sure you come back!). I can guarantee you won't find another site like this one, with owners who genuinely care about their members and members who actually care about their fellow members.

- To those who do get upset, a few quick words of advice. As has been said several times in this post, tenure and activity level play a role in testing selection. It follows, therefore, that if you want to be a tester, stick around and get more involved in the site. Don't whine, participate productively!

- Finally, I wanted to quickly touch on one idea that I picked up in the thread that I liked. I think that requiring testers to pay for their own shipping costs is very reasonable. I think this alone will reduce the number of people who sign up just to get something for free.

I want to process more of what has been said here and then I'm certain I'll have some more feedback.

Finally, I wanted to quickly touch on one idea that I picked up in the thread that I liked. I think that requiring testers to pay for their own shipping costs is very reasonable. I think this alone will reduce the number of people who sign up just to get something for free.

I would have ZERO problems with paying shipping for any products that I test, whether it be gloves, balls, or clubs.

I do not think that comment should ever be said in the open like that, IMO. I mean its one thing if JB or GG say it because they own the site and can determine on who tests what, but coming from another member that should not be said like that in the open.

I am going to disagree with you here. I do think this should be said out in the open that is what this thread is for. And to be honest I wish more people would voice their feelings on the quality of a review in the review thread. Let the person know that you would like to hear more from them about abc regarding xyz product. I would actually love to see more of that.

But then what about the growth of the forum? New members might be alienated completely right?

This may or may not be my place to comment on the matter, but while I do understand you're trying to increase the traffic and readers to THP, wouldn't the readers who join for the community and the information more important to the well being of the site than the possibility of someone who joins only for a contest and not to be heard from again?

I do not think that comment should ever be said in the open like that, IMO. I mean its one thing if JB or GG say it because they own the site and can determine on who tests what, but coming from another member that should not be said like that in the open.

Why? Nobody was singled out. There is nearly 1000 posts in the thread, and JB and GG have been critical of the reviews in this thread in general as well. The point was to show that TC's statement that he disregards non donor reviews is a bit harsh, since there are questionable reviews by donors and non donors alike.

We are not in the club selling business.

I know you are not, I was just asking if it was allowed to sell something the company sends you. Sorry

JB, I have a question for you.

I do not think that "forum testing" on THP is overly, improperly biased, but I do often wonder whether there is temptation/reverse incentive to say "nice" things about the equipment being tested because they think this will increase their chances of being selected for another testing opportunity. I do NOT think that THP operates in this fashion whatsoever. I am just curious as to whether you think this could be an unintended consequence of forum testing and if there are ways to combat that? Do you think this happens among forum testers? I haven't necessarily seen any examples of this on THP, just curious.

I feel the same way and pose the same questions in some situations. IE the plain taylormade ball seeding with people spinning them back 7-12 feet.

In my opinion nothing should change. There will always be disappointment on some level, thats how it goes. I've been lucky enough to test a few things, but then again with a very low member number and almost 10,000 posts I consider myself VERY active. I try to donate and I try to help build the brand by sending the links on to twitter and face book.

Want to be part of the family?
Want to test equipment?

Join the family by being active!

I will say this as a tester and I think all testers should feel the same way. If I or anyone else testing is lagging with feedback or detail I would fully expect and be happy to have someone tell me " hey man your not putting out the iformation I want or the details Im looking for". As forum members we should not sit idley by while someone fails with their testing, rather encourage them to improve it. After all the club is still in their possesion and there is still feeback on that product that people want to hear so by us not saying anything as members we are also failing. If someone needs a kick in the *** to get their testing on track then by all means.

I agree 1000000%!

I do want to bring something up on the question of just building staff. I love reading forum members feedback, a lot more than staffers reviews. Now, don't get me wrong, the staff reviewers do a fantastic job and I do take the time to read their reviews, but they don't always carry much weight in my decision making. The reason why I say this stems from my researches before joining THP. There are a lot of websites that carry only staffers reviews and sometimes I may be biased because I think it's their job, they tests so many clubs, perhaps their thinking gets blurred, or maybe the short period of time they tested the club, they weren't playing great. Meanwhile, if I get to read reviews from forum members, I feel I can relate more to their thinking. I think of the Wilson Staff Di 11 thread and read that thread and think, too bad I just bought new irons last year because they have me convinced in the product before I even seen them live. To sum it up, the staffer reviews are great for piquing my interest, but the forum testers reviews are where most of my decisions will be influenced. (Again let me state that I'm in no way saying the staff reviews are inferior, just the reason for my bias)

That is why our staff is built by the forum. We have chosen our staff writers from submissions on the forum. I appreciate the honesty here and it does confirm some things for us.

I think part of that has to do with the thread title...hehe

You posed these questions:
Do we just add more people to our staff and send to them only for testing?
Do we start a VIP program and only members of that program are eligible?
Do we just scrap it completely and not do forum testing anymore and just do contests?

And I responded to them as 1-2-3. Sorry if unclear.

That is why I asked to elaborate some more. Why do they work less or not at all in your opinion?

Seriously? I donno TC but that sounds pretty VIP to me. Also looks like a good way to miss out on good reviews just because they don't have a 'special VIP tag'. Are you suggesting that members can 'buy' access to testing at THP? Isn't that exactly the opposite of what THP is all about? There are lots of ways to give to THP without money. The site is nothing without content remember....

Nope, not saying that at all. ALL I'M SAYING IS THAT IF YOU PUT YOUR NAME INTO THE HAT TO TEST SOMETHING AND YOU ARE SELECTED, PLEASE GIVE BACK TO THE SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good lord, how hard is that to comprehend?

Seriously bro. Its posts like these that bother me. Bridgestone appreciates your feedback and business, and Im not sure you appreciate them for what they did. Some people dont just want to be selected for the equipment, but to be able to participate more on the forum. Maybe have a little more responsibility on the forum. The biggest problem I see with any testing is the fact that people dont take it seriously enough, and focus on how cool the equipment they just got for free is. Some people want equipment, some want to be heard, and some just want to learn. Its not all about the goods. Were glad you 'mentioned' a thank you to bridgestone but your posts lately in this thread have shown the complete opposite of appreciation from what I read.

Wow! I expressed my appreciation at the time. I wrote a thorough review. I bought balls from the OEM afterwards. I have never complained and never will about not being chosen or whatever. I was trying to help THP with its decision by sharing some thoughts. I assumed (apparently incorrectly) that if people were getting worked up enough to complain to THP it was over larger items, and so I focused on that, that's all. Your statement is outrageous and wholly unfair!

Back