Future of Product Testing on THP

The thing is, how many times have you seen someone say something, then someone else says, I can't believe you actually believe that. Then they say, I was kidding, I can't believe you thought I was serious. People should watch what they say, especially when it's just typed out, because it's hard to tell if it's serious or not. In situations like that, I am of the opinion that very few times was the original thing said in jest. They just didn't expect the backlash so they add later that they were only joking. We have smilies and hehe's and haha's for when you are joking.

Its ironic you mention the use of smilies and hehe's and haha's when someone is joking...

Here is the original message that was sent by another member to OneT:

Why or how can you be nervous with brother TC giving you the answers? :D:D:D:D:D:D Maybe sending it little early or too late trying to play it off? LOL

Reactions: JB
Hi Forum Members, I stumbled across this site when I was doing some searching for product information on the R11 and ever since then, this site has mean so much more to me than that. I have developed dialog with a few members since I joined and I am establishing some relationships and that is what it is all about for me. I love reading the testing threads and everyone's experience with their equipment. I like how it is now but however you want to do this, I will support this forum no matter what because this a cool site with great people who care about the best game in the world!

LPM I would take that down dude. If it was wanted out in the open the two participants should be the one posting it

Woo Hoo! Caught up.

I put my vote in for charging for shipping. It's a small price to pay and like was said, if you can't afford the shipping how are you going to afford the testing?

:rockon:

I'm just a dumb newbie here. I had no clue this site even did contests or gave clubs to the members to test. I found this because I googled for a review of irons I was looking at. I lurked and thought "holy crap, I found THE site for golf equipment, this is awesome" and then I joined. Obviously being part of the community and interacting is going to enhance your chances. Just don't be a douche like that one guy who was padding his posts for the Morgan cup. Lastly, I would say that if your here for the free swag then this isn't your place. This place has a ton to offer to anyone who loves golf.

Its ironic you mention the use of smilies and hehe's and haha's when someone is joking...

I don't think this is the place to discuss what happened during another contest. They are trying to find different ideas for selecting testers. I think this kind of banter is going down the wrong path in here.

I think that paying for shipping would definitely benefit THP and testing here as a whole. Also, as it seems like JB has already mentioned, rating the reviews and if they are egregiously bad or show lack of effort, that person should lose privileges for at least a year, if not permanently. I think the process should remain open to basically everyone because, as was said multiple times already, what makes this so great is you hear from people who you could be playing with out at your home course who are 25 handicaps and from scratch golfers. Without having a full spectrum of reviewers, I truly believe something is lost and it isn't actually a full review but just one opinion. The aggregate of everyone's review over the varying skill levels is what makes THP's reviews so special and more importantly so useful to not only THP members but for the consumer looking for help. Donating definitely shouldn't be a requirement in my opinion. As a poor, in-debt medical student, I just cannot justify spending money without any return. I have bought things from the THP store because I can get use from them so it's not as irresponsible. I know, i know, i get entertainment and other things from reading THP but, at this time, it's difficult to justify donating for me. Even though I probably will donate once I get some extra money, but I can certainly see how some can't justify doing that and they shouldn't be penalized. I'm sure I could say more, but I probably should be studying so to end i'd just say keep it how it is, maybe add shipping costs, but you can never please everyone and those who are upset are probably people who genuinely don't want to be here anyway. Thanks THP and i'm sure whatever is decided will keep the site just as kick-ass as it is now.

I have to put my 2 cents in as well. When we were down in Carlsbad and were talking with the GolfWRX guys most of them were just absolutely amazed at what THP was about. They were amazed that we had just selected a bunch of testers for the R11 FW and hybrids. They were amazed that pretty much any active THPer had the opportunity to participate in the testing. They were amazed that there wasn't some sort of VIP testing, because that is how it done over there (at least from their perspectives). There were 2 people there that weren't amazed and they were both in this elite testing fraternity. I love that THP puts these products into the hands of the general public and I don't think that should change because it is precisely this that makes THP such a unique place. I am sorry that some people feel that they deserve to be testers, I find this very strange! Is it okay to be a bit bummed if you didn't get selected to test out a product that you were very interested in? Absolutely! Is it okay to feel that for some reason you deserve to be a tester? Absolutely not! I love reading the reviews of the people out there. I follow many of them very closely and I follow even more closely the people who I feel has similar swing tendencies as me. If the testing wasn't the way it is I would never have figured out that G4L and me seem to be fit for very similar products. So when G4L says something is working or not working then I put more weight in his opinions. Again this is the beauty of the current testing paradigm; when you open up the testing population you are going to cover a much greater variety of swings then if it is a limited testing pool. Not to disparage other sites too much, BUT that is why when you go to other sites, they are preoccupied with blades, thin top-lines, and forged clubs. Because that is what the narrow pool of testers likes. Do you think the Mashie would have been able to find such love on other sites. I don't. Too much offset and a closed face, is what they would have said. But it just works! Do you think the Burner 2.0s would have had so much love? No too thick of top-line and too wide of a sole. But there are many THPers who have found a wonderful club for them because of that testing.

So to summarize my thoughts. I just feel that THP is a very uniquely special place, and it is uniquely special because each one of our opinions matter to someone out there. I think it should remain that way. Sorry that a small minority has to cause frustration, but they are the minority. I think it is safe to say that the majority of THPers like the way things are currently set up. If you guys need one or two more staffers to help with the load of testing requests from companies, then I think that is totally great, but I think the majority of testing should continue the way it is currently set up.

Then that just goes to show that even with smilies your "joke" might not be taken as such. And to post someone else's private message is not right, you should remove it.

You could have said the PM DID have smilies in it and that would have been good enough. But there is a reason those are private messages, because the person wanted them kept PRIVATE. If they sent it to you they trusted you to keep it private, which you didn't do. Or did they tell you to go ahead and post it?

Back to topic, I agree with those who said if you get picked for testing, you should pay to have it shipped. Or at least offer to. Too many people expecting something for nothing.

I agree completely but the point is too valid to ignore.

But this thread isn't the place for this discussion.

I agree that there is a valid point but maybe you should have just said that the smilies were in there. I think the best thing is that you didn't post about it at all quite honestly. I now have a feeling in my mind of who sent those PM's to One-T and I never would have thought of that person until you posted about it. Maybe we should just move along and get back to the topic at hand.

I agree! This seems to be an unnecessary diversion to the topic at hand!

Wow. I had to run put me some eye drops in (for dry eyes) after trying to read all these posts! Good comments and great thread.

1. Ok my take is if you are chosen to test a product, you should help with the shipping fees. If you have ever sold a product on the internet, you know that shipping is not cheap, especially something like a set of irons. I have often wondered how THP has gone this long, without some sort of shipping fee. If you can't afford helping with the shipping then simply don't apply. It's a golf forum for all to enjoy but it's also a business and it costs money to run.

2. I would possibly add a couple more staff testers as the company grows. Testing takes time and involves responsibility. Not everyone has the time or desire to do the work, that warrants a testing opportunity. I would also keep random forum members in the mix. The random forum members might be considered from those who have contributed with articles and posts, that genuinely help the THP community. The fly by night posters would not be considered. Earning the respect of the forum members by active and honest posting goes a long way.

3. I personally would not do the VIP thing. It could get too cliquish.

Paying for shipping gets a vote from me too. This would benefit THP too, and I think it's a pretty fair thing to expect. Plus, might mean I'll stick my name in the hat in future!

Well I am fairly new as a member of this forum but as many other have posted, I looked to this site both now and in the past for reviews from the members of all different handicaps, skill level and geographical make ups. Before I purchased my current clubs I looked for people that were playing or had tested the irons to get many different opinions. I like the fact that THP has a wide range of testers and we get all type of opinions and results.

I am not sure how the testers get chosen by THP or if you have some standards in place now or if its just luck of the draw. However I appreciate the vast amount of feedback we all receive by getting the equipment into the hands of the people and not just magazines that have to worry about selling ads and keeping everyone happy.

I was fortunate enough to get chosen to be a tester for the Polara golf ball, I in no way expected to be chosen since I was a newer member but I just thought I’d put my name in anyway. I was ecstatic when I seen my name on the list and felt a responsibility to get the product tested as requested. I believe it could be difficult at times to test some items and if we sign up as a tester we need to realize that and not sign up if we cannot do the job, just to get free stuff. I do not understand why anyone would get upset for not being chosen for testing. It is not a right it is a privilege and one we should all be respectful of.

It has to be a tuff job choosing people to represent THP and live up to your responsibility that you have been entrusted with by the manufactures that donated the equipment.

I’m in favor of keeping things the way they are, as that has seemed to work excellent except for maybe the few disgruntled ones, as other have stated you will never please all the people all the time. If you went to a VIP selection process or some type of donation process that may eliminate many potential great testers. Sending the equipment back is an option but then you would have to deal with a whole other set of issues. Plus it may cost me $800 to have to go and purchase a new set of irons if I loved them and had to send them back :D. Paying for shipping I think would be fine.

Paying for shipping gets a vote from me too. This would benefit THP too, and I think it's a pretty fair thing to expect. Plus, might mean I'll stick my name in the hat in future!

I have to agree with this. Not that I like paying shipping, lol, but fair is fair. This would help JB and GG, not to mention open things up to possibly a reduced shipping cost for our oversea's members and the growth that could come from it.

I think some might then say "Well im paying for shipping so im not going to donate now" I hope they wont feel that way, but Im fearing it may happen.

Im good with whatever JB and GG decide. I have no complaints, and whatever is easier to help the site then im all for it.

I think some might then say "Well im paying for shipping so im not going to donate now" I hope they wont feel that way, but Im fearing it may happen.

Im good with whatever JB and GG decide. I have no complaints, and whatever is easier to help the site then im all for it.

I wouldnt mind paying shipping and donating, i donate everytime i have some extra cash and still would even if i had to pay for shipping. Like Bridges said im good with whatever JB and GG decide.

I love the way it is done now. I love reading reviews from dozens of people, to see what their reactions are. I get a little bummed when I don't get picked for the big testing, like new clubs and such, but I am happy to be able to help with things like ball testings.

However, there is a nagging thought at the back of my head. Should I be signing up? Am I truly qualified? Are there people that could benefit if I were to vacate my spot?

I don't know.

On the shipping, if I were to ever sign up in the future, I would be happy to pay for the costs.

I love the way it is done now. I love reading reviews from dozens of people, to see what their reactions are. I get a little bummed when I don't get picked for the big testing, like new clubs and such, but I am happy to be able to help with things like ball testings.

However, there is a nagging thought at the back of my head. Should I be signing up? Am I truly qualified? Are there people that could benefit if I were to vacate my spot?

I don't know.

Absolutely. There are people out there with the same skill level as you looking for a review from someone similar to compare it to their game.

Absolutely. There are people out there with the same skill level as you looking for a review from someone similar to compare it to their game.

Nah, I am talking about my ability to review. Anyone who reads my reviews knows they are not exactly extensive. Also, I can't get on the course as often as some, though this will change soon. Sure, I can do all kinds of range testing, but only a little on course testing.

JB/GG, I am very sorry I posted that in here today!

I wanted to read through the entire thread before offering my .02, but gave up on page 12 (after seeing the page count flip from 25 to 26).

I am fairly new to THP in that I have only recently contributed by posting.

To me, the issue at hand is that the stakes have increased. As THP grows, the opportunities available also increase. In the early days, a sleeve of balls was a big deal. Today, the site able to offer opportunites that were unimaginable a few years ago: testing entire sets of irons, TMaG Kingdom, Morgan Cup. Last week, we had JB's statement that the best is yet to come...and that's a promise (or words to this effect).

Sadly, as the stakes increase, so do the inevitable consequences. Before coming to this thread, I was reading a large thread on WRX about the Kingdom weekend. One of the participants from WRX sold his new R11 in the WRX classifieds. As I read through the thread, I was hoping to myself that this sort of situation would never happen at THP. Seriously, everyone at THP should go find the WRX thread and read all of it (while it is still available--the moderator just closed it to new posts).

THP may be a unique place, special and caring, etc etc.....It is also unrealistic to believe that those qualities will never be challenged by individuals who feel they were slighted, overlooked, or not given a fair chance.

JB and GG, in many respects THP has become a victim of its own success.

As many have stated, I don't there is anything wrong with charging for shipping when items are sent out for member testing. I do suggest that the shipping charge be a flat rate, based on size, weight etc., regardless of the distance.

Back