Future of Product Testing on THP

I don't think that no one wants to read your opinion, in fact I think most if not all of us on here have a huge respect for you and your thoughts and experiences with golf. And to be honest someone would be a fool not to listen to what you have to say. You take your golf game more seriously than most of the people on this forum. You play more than most and you are so dedicated to golf and improving your game. You are a true asset to this forum and to anyone who is looking for honest feedback on equipment. But I do think that it can be hard for men to listen to what a woman has to say because we play this game differently. One of the biggest factors is with our bodies. We are built differently so we do things differently and often times feel things differently. My old golf instructor used to tell me that all the time. She used to be on the LPGA tour and she always told me that we may be able to play just as well or better than a guy but we do play the game differently.

I too wish that more reviews from female golfers were featured. My wife also plays "man" clubs in a senior/regular flex and because of the heavy skewing in golf information towards male, she gave up on reading any printed or online golf material when she absolutely loves golf. Some co-ed reviews would be most interesting to read, bringing up valuable points from and for women golfer. Golf is not just a man's game.
Also, +1 on paying for shipping of test gear.

Well since I'm a woman living in a man's world on THP, I accept (but dislike) the fact that most of you guys wouldn't want to read my review on men's equipment even though I play it. In fact, I've had some open and honest discussion about this with someone other than my husband who was blunt with me about the fact that he wouldn't give my review any weight. He even admitted he wouldn't give a woman who was a certified PGA pro much weight. That one kind of shocked me but it is the world we live in, like it or not.

I will say that I think THP should continue handling testing like they do but they should add the requirement that the recipient pay shipping. I do think the tester should be able to keep the equipment once the period is over. Ole Gray is currently testing the R11 7 wood so it would be great if he could just forward it to me when he is finished. :D

I guess I need to quit raving about all my new Cleveland equipment in the Cleveland threads since none of you want my opinion. I still love ya though.

imo id much rather read your posts over some others... ive said it several times before but im a huge fan of the LPGA and id rather watch it over the guys and definitely over the champs or nationwide/hooters
heck the busiest most popular teaching pro at my home course (and the most expensive) is a former LPGA tour player... all the young local phenoms are under her wing
keep posting kb and ill keep reading!

back on topic... why is there being so much weight on ppl complaining that they arent being picked? i think this is just silly unless there is an over whelming amount of complaints coming in
i mean seriously... if theres a thread dedicated to it there must be a LOT of complaints? why arent they posting in here?

My personal opinion on female golfer reviews/lessons as it pertains to THP...Most of the members here would appreciate more insite from women.

Me man, me hit ball far. :D :D :D

I like the idea of paying for shipping, this may deter some of the snatch-n-grab people. Even add a "handling charge".

I disagree...at least as far as equipment testing goes. A woman's review of a golf ball or clubs is just as valuable to me as a man's.

Well then you are in the very small minority.

I will be happy to join Sean!

You guys (and many on THP) are in the minority. I have said it before, there is a reason that you dont see Paula Creamer and Gulbis in R11 commercials or any of the other mens equipment commercials. It sucks, but it is the way it is. Same reason the pink RX ball wont be made and the same reason that they still have mens and ladies equipment despite the fact that normally they are almost identical heads other than color.

The problem is and one that I think many forget is that the testing and reviews are not just written for forum members but also for the thousands that find those reviews via search. Look at some of the testing threads such as R9 irons, Burner 2.0s, etc...and they have 50-60,000 views because of how many find them via search. Should it be that way? Probably not. Will it always be that way? We hope not. But right now it is and it is out of our control.

imo id much rather read your posts over some others... ive said it several times before but im a huge fan of the LPGA and id rather watch it over the guys and definitely over the champs or nationwide/hooters
heck the busiest most popular teaching pro at my home course (and the most expensive) is a former LPGA tour player... all the young local phenoms are under her wing

back on topic... why is there being so much weight on ppl complaining that they arent being picked? i think this is just silly unless there is an over whelming amount of complaints coming in
i mean seriously... if theres a thread dedicated to it there must be a LOT of complaints? why arent they posting in here?

We were hoping with this open format that those people would come forward and tell us why they feel the way they do and what we can do to make it better.

As another pretty quiet newbie, I'm happy with how the system currently operates and I have no issues with testers keeping equipment, or with THP paying shipping if JB & CG like. Those are reasonable business decisions for them to make. I think the testers do a pretty good job and it's nice to have feedback outside of the OEM's marketing literature. When I've asked questions, I get fair responses and I even like the enthusiasm and fanboy/fangirl(ism) that can creep into the threads when folks find things they like or when they chatter about UPS trucks, delivery dates, etc. It's real and it's fun. While it makes sense to spread testing around, there is something to be gained from having some thoughtful folks with adequate time test a bit more often so they can handle comparisons and context. From what I've seen so far, just keep on keeping on...

I agree, but you have to be honest, no way someone would come out and say that they complain. They'd get killed.

That is why we wanted to have this thread. For open conversation and we WILL NOT allow someone to get trashed. Not personally in here. Its about making this place better.

I agree, but you have to be honest, no way someone would come out and say that they complain. They'd get killed.

But they shouldn't get killed. That was the point of this thread was for them to be able to open up and explain why they felt slighted or cheated or what have you. JB and I were here to make sure that no one got attacked but instead we could have an open, calm and honest conversation about why people felt the way they did.

I wouldn't kill them, I would apologize and pity them for having such a miserable existance. Whoever it is I hope they learn to appreciate the important things in life. Golf clubs and contests aren't one of them.

That is why we wanted to have this thread. For open conversation and we WILL NOT allow someone to get trashed. Not personally in here. Its about making this place better.

I know you'll do your best but some things are well received and other things are not. No way someone comes forward with a complaint or as a complainer. I learned a lot from this thread today.

Umm. Yeah. Since we are being honest, there are some people on here who are capable the most biting comments I have ever read.

Please keep this to the topic of the thread please.

I don't have the attention span to read through all 31 pages, plus I have to start getting ready for work soon. If this idea has been posted already, kindly disregard...

I liked the "50 words or less" way of entering THP's "19 Days of Christmas". How about each potential tester submit a short essay as to why they wish to test certain items?

You guys (and many on THP) are in the minority. I have said it before, there is a reason that you dont see Paula Creamer and Gulbis in R11 commercials or any of the other mens equipment commercials. It sucks, but it is the way it is. Same reason the pink RX ball wont be made and the same reason that they still have mens and ladies equipment despite the fact that normally they are almost identical heads other than color.

The problem is and one that I think many forget is that the testing and reviews are not just written for forum members but also for the thousands that find those reviews via search. Look at some of the testing threads such as R9 irons, Burner 2.0s, etc...and they have 50-60,000 views because of how many find them via search. Should it be that way? Probably not. Will it always be that way? We hope not. But right now it is and it is out of our control.

I understand that JB abd yes it sucks. I just wanted the ladies to know that their opinoins and participation are valued.

We were hoping with this open format that those people would come forward and tell us why they feel the way they do and what we can do to make it better.

i somehow dont see that happening... i mean why post in a thread and get crucified?
if it were an overwhelming amount of complaints by alot of ppl i could see this thread being a sounding board but if its not tons of ppl complaining why start a thread?
why not address it directly to the ppl complaining via pm's?
i know i wouldnt wanna post in here... the ppl complaining would be vastly out numbered and called out... kinda frightening
obviously this is an issue that needs to be addressed if a thread was necessary

LOL! Okay, I'll offer my first every complaint since I joined in Sept '09 and 4000+ post later. :) I joined THP because I love golf. When I joined I didn't know about contests or equipment testing. I joined because I'm a golf junkie. I've never been selected to test golf clubs. I've withdrawn my name a couple of times only because it was winter where I live and I felt I couldn't give the clubs a fair test on the range. I think testing is a great responsibility and requires testing clubs under a variety of conditions. As such I wanted any testing I do to be fair to THP and its members.

The beauty of THP testing, unlike Golf Digest and the like, is that the clubs are given a long term shakedown under varying circumstances. This give the tester the opportunity to write an informed review, and the reader to get something beyond a quick hit. Instead the reader is assured that the reviewers have put the clubs through the paces...and it's not just one reviewer, but multiple reviewers. There for the reader can compare and contrast what the reviewers write. When the reader walks into a golf shop he or she is armed with the knowledge necessary to make an informed purchasing decision. This knowledge is invaluable, not only from a financial standpoint, but also from a self-confidence aspect.

This is the first time I've voiced my own feelings on the matter.

I know you'll do your best but some things are well received and other things are not. No way someone comes forward with a complaint or as a complainer. I learned a lot from this thread today.

Sorry to say this but I agree with you TC. IMO, I think they will get crucified.

Before i answer I am going to read every thread here - its going to take awhile - its certainly going to be a "hot topic"; i have only read the first post - so my first reaction: Don't change testing - THP is what it is bc of the wonderful job you have done to date. I think there are a ton more members as more and more are finding out what a great thing you have going here.

It sucks not being able to please everybody all the time- you just cannot - you can only please some of the people. going to read the rest of these posts tonight and write a better answer.

i somehow dont see that happening... i mean why post in a thread and get crucified?
if it were an overwhelming amount of complaints by alot of ppl i could see this thread being a sounding board but if its not tons of ppl complaining why start a thread?
why not address it directly to the ppl complaining via pm's?
i know i wouldnt wanna post in here... the ppl complaining would be vastly out numbered and called out... kinda frightening
obviously this is an issue that needs to be addressed if a thread was necessary

My philosophy is complete transparency. If you have read the "3 Things About Yourself" thread, you know that. That said, even I would have difficulty posting a complaint here, but I think that is why the option to converse via PM was left open.

Sorry to say this but I agree with you TC. IMO, I think they will get crucified.

And we have given our word that they wont. Last time I checked, our word does still count for something around here. :alien:

That is what the thread was about and to tell people that they can pm us as well. I have received dozens of pms on the matter as well.

My philosophy is complete transparency. If you have read the "3 Things About Yourself" thread, you know that. That said, even I would have difficulty posting a complaint here, but I think that is why the option to converse via PM was left open.

That is very true. If someone feels uncomfortable discussing the matter here then they are always welcome to take it to a PM with me or JB.

And we have given our word that they wont. Last time I checked, our word does still count for something around here. :alien:

That is what the thread was about and to tell people that they can pm us as well. I have received dozens of pms on the matter as well.

Your word does count, but it's clear that people get super defensive, it's human nature.

Here's a complaint for you: I think that when it comes to testing equipment that the parameters should be stiffer. I think that it should go to a forum member with a higher post count and a forum member that's been here longer. I take this seriously, and I've certainly earned my right to test equipment, why shouldn't someone else?

The excuse that being active for some doesn't entail posting is funny to me, just look at this thread. You "question" taking away seeding and forum testing and the lurkers suddenly post. Complete transparency in my opinion.

*let's be honest, it wouldn't be me if I didn't say all this. Like it, love it, hate it, it's who I am*

JB and GG I dont want you to answer this here but I want to ask a question for you two to think about. Who is doing the complaining? Do you know? Are they people members who havebeen here for a year or two and have contributed significantly to the THP experience? A relatively newbie who stil might not get what THP is all about and joined because of something he saw on FB? Alot of understanding can come from who is making the complaint as the complaint itself.

That is very true. If someone feels uncomfortable discussing the matter here then they are always welcome to take it to a PM with me or JB.

For me, it wouldn't be for fear of persecution, I just don't know if I can be that open with the public. I try, but I am only human.

Back