Future of Product Testing on THP

First off I want to say I have shamelessly skimmed this thread, so if I missed something vital you can all line up to kick me in the right direction.

Personally, I would say keep the testing the way it is. I've switched to Bridgestone e7 balls after reading the reviews on here, I've ordered a Mashie because of the reviews on here and in both cases, the reason I have is because the reviewers were just regular golfers, just like me, not paid professional reviewers.

As for the selection process, I would imagine, and imagine is the key word here that there is some manufacturer input into what they look for in testers as well as whatever factors are used by THP.

I've been a member of the site for less than a year and I was given the opportunity to test the Wilson Staff Irons. And testing is a lot of work, I've been spending more time at the range, played more rounds testing these than I normally would be this time of year, playing rounds and hitting the range when it's in the 40's out because testing isn't about getting free equipment, it's about giving a good and timely review of the product that others hopefully can use to make an informed decision. In most cases, depending on what you're testing it isn't "Free" either. You're spending extra time on the range and course, spending extra on range balls and rounds and as was mentioned, with Gas so high the extra money it takes going to and from courses to test.

As for the idea of a VIP testing program, I don't like it. To me it smells of the kind of elitism that many perceive golf to embody, and I think, keeps people away from the game. The whole "It's for rich old white guys" mentality.

Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

I liked this post and it brings up a very good point. Testing products isn't all about getting something brand new and free to play with. Sometimes, it means going to the range when you don't want to or playing in conditions you never normally would. Right when we got the TM irons, I found out that the only place in town with an open range went bankrupt and closed. I drove 3 hours round trip twice to test equipment so I could do my part. There is a big responsibility that not only includes testing, but also includes being available to answer questions and making sure that you are giving good, honest feedback.

Also, sometimes you get things to review that you aren't so crazy about. To me, it's how much attention you pay to those items that is a good measure of your ability to review products. Polara golf ball thread is a perfect example.

Your posts have been fine. And I think you've done a great job with the Compression board. I have been a member since September 1, 2009, and I received my first product to review a little over a year later (The Burner 2.0 irons). I watched many other people get the opportunity to test/review products and I was always there to congratulate them and support them in their testing. I asked questions, I bumped the thread with what I thought was relevancy. That's what I mean by putting in the time. There were seasoned THP'ers here before me and I read and supported every one of their reviews. I never complained, never asked for a thing. I made friends, we talked about golf, and equipment, we got to know one another. We had the 12 Days of Holiday Cheer contest that year, and I knew every single person that won except for one, and that person never came back and shared pictures of their win. We got close. I always knew that THP was going to grow, and JB and GG will tell you that I'm one of the biggest supporters and advocates for that growth. Newer members have had opportunities to test things, some of my friends from almost two years ago are now staffers. You don't think it sucked for me not being able to apply for a staffer position? I couldn't, b/c I'm left handed. I think that sucks, but I have always been there for them, I've read every review and I've commented on probably all of them. That's putting your time in, in my opinion. It's not about what one does for themselves, but how they support their friends, their fellow testers, that's what I do. And you will be hard pressed to find anyone who does it as well as I do.

Thank you for the complements. I agree with the others that this is a great post.

I've caught up on about 12 pages of posts since I logged off last night and a few things stuck out at me

very true....but if you're going to come onto THP at any point in time of the day and with all the different threads, etc going on you're only going to make one post per day?

At first I was thinking, being active doesn't mean posting a lot. Then I looked at my post count and the time I've been here, and I'm easily within the 1-2 posts a day. I don't feel I post a lot and spend a lot of time reading and all kinds of subjects. 1-2 posts a day isn't much. You can easily chalk up 25-30 posts in a few hours all while contributing to a single thread, let alone the multitudes of other threads available. I post a lot of welcome to THP simply because this is the first forum I've joined and the immediate welcomes definitely made me feel more comfortable in the experience.

You guys (and many on THP) are in the minority. I have said it before, there is a reason that you dont see Paula Creamer and Gulbis in R11 commercials or any of the other mens equipment commercials. It sucks, but it is the way it is.

Hopefully this may change (Michelle Wie and Nike, Sorenstam and Callaway). They want to grow the game, make golf more appealing for women. I'd be curious to see the growth in women's sports compared to golf.

But they shouldn't get killed. That was the point of this thread was for them to be able to open up and explain why they felt slighted or cheated or what have you. JB and I were here to make sure that no one got attacked but instead we could have an open, calm and honest conversation about why people felt the way they did.

If people are concerned about being attacked, perhaps they should consider why they would be attacked and reconsider their stance. There are always productive ways to bring up a touchy subject and I feel if someone had an issue and brought it up in a respectful matter, THP members would likely receive their critisicm and reply in the same respectful manner.

On paying shipping, I'll also add that as most posters I'd be glad to pony up.

I first came to THP over a year ago based upon their equipment reviews listed on Google. What I found at THP was really nice people looking to answer any and all questions I posted. This site has a family feel to it that's hard to explain and certainly a credit to JB and GG ( along with many others such as TC ) that have some how pulled this off. It seems as THP is growing by the day and that's great but it comes with it's problems such as self-serving members looking to fill their bags with free equipment and not caring to contribute in a way that helps other members or those visiting and might become members. I honestly never knew about the whole donation thing until I purchased raffle tickets for the outing in May. I feel that this is a personal choice but how can anyone expect to be chosen to do a club review when they don't support THP with any sort of donation...$5-10-20 whatever it may be. You should also be an active member on a daily basis that contributes to the whole THP family......isn't that what we come here for? There will always be people that b*tch and complain about everything..........don't expect to be a tester if you don't contribute in a way that makes THP a better place to be!

I think something that would be cool is to have club testing done by different handicap players. I know that in my case being a high handicap that it's not much help to me when reviews are done by low handicap guys because it doesn't correlate to my game. Maybe when you have 6 of the same club being tested that you have 2low-2 mid and 2 high handicap peolpe do reviews and maybe split them up in some way to make it easier to read the reviews that come from someone in their own handicap range. One more thing....whatever THP decides to do as far as club testing is fine by me, doing the right thing is what they naturally do! As far as paying for the shipping to test products that shouldn't even be question.....of course you should pay, not THP.

Your posts have been fine. And I think you've done a great job with the Compression board. I have been a member since September 1, 2009, and I received my first product to review a little over a year later (The Burner 2.0 irons). I watched many other people get the opportunity to test/review products and I was always there to congratulate them and support them in their testing. I asked questions, I bumped the thread with what I thought was relevancy. That's what I mean by putting in the time. There were seasoned THP'ers here before me and I read and supported every one of their reviews. I never complained, never asked for a thing. I made friends, we talked about golf, and equipment, we got to know one another. We had the 12 Days of Holiday Cheer contest that year, and I knew every single person that won except for one, and that person never came back and shared pictures of their win. We got close. I always knew that THP was going to grow, and JB and GG will tell you that I'm one of the biggest supporters and advocates for that growth. Newer members have had opportunities to test things, some of my friends from almost two years ago are now staffers. You don't think it sucked for me not being able to apply for a staffer position? I couldn't, b/c I'm left handed. I think that sucks, but I have always been there for them, I've read every review and I've commented on probably all of them. That's putting your time in, in my opinion. It's not about what one does for themselves, but how they support their friends, their fellow testers, that's what I do. And you will be hard pressed to find anyone who does it as well as I do.

this might be one of the best posts I have seen!!! I would give you rep but it wont let me. I completely agree with this 100%. This one hit the nail on the head IMHO.

JB & GG, I know we have a subsection under the Golf section for Course Review's and was wondering if you have given thought to adding a subsection under the All Things Equipment maybe titled Equipment Review's?
Right now you have to go into the Golf Clubs, Balls and Accessories section for reviews mixed in with other topics. Just thinking out loud.

I liked this post and it brings up a very good point. Testing products isn't all about getting something brand new and free to play with. Sometimes, it means going to the range when you don't want to or playing in conditions you never normally would. Right when we got the TM irons, I found out that the only place in town with an open range went bankrupt and closed. I drove 3 hours round trip twice to test equipment so I could do my part. There is a big responsibility that not only includes testing, but also includes being available to answer questions and making sure that you are giving good, honest feedback.

Also, sometimes you get things to review that you aren't so crazy about. To me, it's how much attention you pay to those items that is a good measure of your ability to review products. Polara golf ball thread is a perfect example.

Hawk I think this is a great post and you hit the nail on the head. It's not always about getting stuff, sure that part is nice but there is a responsibility that comes with it.

I was looking for this post because I agree with the bolded part 1003%. We all have people that we may respond more to than others. But I think supporting every tester should be something that anyone who wants to test should do. And I don't just mean give the great review but if you see something missing ask for more information. If you can help someone get better at testing and make the tests/reviews that much more complete then do it. It doesnt take a lot of time and you can be constructive and supportive in the matter of minutes. If you are selected for testing take the opportunity and make it great. I'm learning a whole lot from the opportunities I've had. At the same time, if you want to write reviews you do not have to wait for free gear.

Another thing I've been thinking about all night is the donation. I'm not going to pry into others financial situation and I can't really say I've been the greatest donor.... BUT when you think about it, why aren't you donating? Why can't you set $5 a week aside for 4 weeks, over the course of months? I could list everything going on in my life and why I can't donate more but even $20 will help cover shipping of something. I'm of the thought every little bit helps. I'm not the greatest supporter so I don't want to preach but I think what this all boils down too is kinda what TC touched on... How do you support the site and support it's growth?

I havent slept much so I'm not sure if this posts makes sense.

You think so? Like I said, nobody has to post every day, but averaging a post a day does not seem like a stretch. Even thanking someone for their hardwork in testing seems pretty easy and "of value" if you ask me. But we do have to wonder that if someone does not have much to add, will they be able to add full writeups multiple times a week on equipment? How are we to know?

Of course that is a legit concern. And I agree with you on the matter. It's highly probable that you will get good feedback from someone who is more active on the forum. Being a equipment tester is a big responsibility towards THP.

And even if someone doesn't think he has something to add, he/she might express that.

When I joined I never new about contests or testing. I joined because I love golf and THP seemed like a great site. I post a lot because as I said I love golf and like to discuss golf so I actively participate. I donated because I spend a lot of time around here so I figured it was the least I could do. I bought items from the store because I feel like a member of the site and take pride in doing so and want to "wave the THP flag" so to speak. The only thing I'm really sad about is that I've never met any THP members. I would love to attend the outings but the timing has always been wrong for me.

What has impressed me most about THP is its level of civility, the amount of reviews, all the neat features it offers, e.g., the Tour Spot, interviews, and THP's never ending level of creativity in keeping things interesting.

JB- your member-based unbiased testing programs are what distinguishes this site from the other golf forums out there. I follow 2 other forums, and their equipment reviews are very haphazard and not at all organized. I feel it's important the you and GG are the ones selecting who reviews product. Site activity and the ability to communicate to other members without numerous spelling errors and run-on sentences is important and can't be left to chance. Whatever decision you both make will always have someone's nose bent out of joint,but your decisions always seem to be in everyone's mutual best interests, so don't become overly concerned . Just keep moving forward.

That's my biggest problem. If posting isn't one's fortay (and that's fine by me) then why would they be a candidate for testing? If they can't take the time to thank or comment on other testers work, why should they expect the same? I know these aren't your thoughts JB, I'm just throwing more out there.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Very good point TC. If you can't find 1 thing a day to post on, you aren't a good test cantidate IMO. There are hundreds of threads on this site, (probably thousands), and if you don't have any input on those, you're gonna have a ton of input on equipment testing? I think not.

I won't lie, there's plenty of times I get upset b/c I can't enter to test certain products, b/c I'm left handed. I love my role here on THP, I am always here to answer questions, to give advice, so yeah, I get frustrated when I don't have the opportunity to throw my name in the hat.

I hear you my lefty brother. I know, regardless of how active I become here, that being left handed will immediately exclude me from testing a lot of the time. I am not here to "get free stuff". I came to meet some people that share my love for the game, aren't all scratch golfers, and are perhaps have some of the same issues as me. I am learning so much from reading the reviews, and have actually switched balls, and bought the mashie because of the reviews written by "regular" golfers, and not some pro working for a magazine. Don't change a thing JB. If people are upset about not getting chosen, they probably aren't here for the right reasons.

The thread is asking for what we on THP would like to see. The next few sentences all start with "I would" and I am just answering the questions that have arisen in the thread.

Personally, I would just like to see more donors. I dont understand how people can justify ordering something from the store, but cant justify donating. Just to let you know, this place offers a whole lot more action, and a whole more satisfaction than an umbrella, headcover, divot tool, poker chip, shirt or hat ever could(That is not a knock on the products obviously).

I would also like to see people pay their own shipping costs. The costs of THP I think go fairly unnoticed, and the costs incurred with testing definitely go unnoticed. Everyone thinks that they can get free stuff and just incorporate it into their routine, which Hawk and others have explained this is not the case. I would like to see more appreciation for the reviews(coming from myself included), because testing golf equipment isnt always sunshine and lollipops, though everyone would agree that its not a terrible job. :D

I would also like to see more engagement from the forum in testing threads. We have alot of people just reading and posting "good review, thanks!" when I know, and many others know there is a lot more that could, should, and needs to be said.

I would like to see a testing shift gravitate towards people whos posts are well-written and indepth, and have shown that they care about this place, and the relationships forged with the people in this place.

I would also like to see many other things of which this is not the thread for. But this thread has shown me a lot about the people who have posted in it(some good, some bad, but thats life). I have noticed a some people who (in my eyes, correct me if I am the only one seeing this) have been using this thread as a justification on why they should have been picked when they were not. I like the testers who have been chosen as 'staffers' one might say. I would like to see the people who have been chosen to review things and that have done great jobs get promoted further into that 'staffer' position. There is a clear difference between a VIP program and a THP Employee, which would completely remove the elitism. In the end THP is a business, and I think you guys need to take care of business. THP owes me nothing at all, and owes a lot if not all of us here nothing. But I think the general community owes THP more than what has been given. Not just in dollars, not just in reviews, but in attitude, participation, and friendliness.

***If I need to clarify on anything please ask.

Reactions: TC
Could I ask what the donations are for? site costs/maintenance? product shipping?

it's probably none of my or anyone else's business but when someone is asking for donations, I typically like to know what I'm donating for.

if you ask for shipping charges to be paid, that may negate the need to ask for donations in that respect.

THP is reeling with success and it's certainly due to the membership here along with the support/partnership of the OEMs that participate.

I look forward to the growth ahead.

JB,

I did not join this forum to become a tester or to receive anything for free. I joined because of the sense of community here which is unlike any other forum I have visited golf or otherwise. I will continue to support, endorse, and promote THP and would do so even if you eliminated all testing and contests.

In the end I think it all comes down to you and others making a decision as to what you think is in the best interests of this forum. As a business owner that's what I do. I can't take into account the feelings of every single employee or vendor that is a part of my business, and I can't possibly spend the time to try and go through every single scenario and ask what if this, what if that.... I have to base my decisions on what's best for my business with the information I have available at that time.

I was one of the fortunate who have been picked to be a tester and I got to try out the Polara golf balls. I reporting my findings based on MY experience with the test balls and provided my conclusions as well. The thing that surprises me most in regard to testing i that some testers never provide a review. Others who want to be testers are picked, receive their item, and then complain because it's.......

I am confident that you, GG, and anyone else involved with the operation of this site will make the right decision.

I would also like to see more engagement from the forum in testing threads. We have alot of people just reading and posting "good review, thanks!" when I know, and many others know there is a lot more that could, should, and needs to be said.

I would like to see a testing shift gravitate towards people whos posts are well-written and indepth, and have shown that they care about this place, and the relationships forged with the people in this place.

This.

JB,

I did not join this forum to become a tester or to receive anything for free. I joined because of the sense of community here which is unlike any other forum I have visited golf or otherwise. I will continue to support, endorse, and promote THP and would do so even if you eliminated all testing and contests.

I am confident that you, GG, and anyone else involved with the operation of this site will make the right decision.

And this.

These are just two examples of well-written posts from good-intentioned people, the type of people that permeate this site and cause me to come here daily for my golf fix. Unfortunately, not everyone has this type of attitude and these types will always be around to selfishly complain about something.

I'll keep coming back whether I get selected to test or not. I didn't start browsing these forums on the chance I'll get some "free stuff", and that isn't what will keep me around.

Keep doing what you're doing and just brush the haters off. :act-up:

Tell you what, I'll contribute $50 cause I'd rather JB/GG have it rather than my ex!! If I'm selected to test the new TaylorMade R12, the Ping i14x or the new Titleist Prov VX Ballata with the Kevlar core balls great!! If it doesn't happen for 2 years so be it. This forum is great!!

Cheers

Just finished reading every post here. I believe it has been productive and accomplished some of what JB/GG were looking for.

As far as changing the way forum testers are selected or the product testing itself. I don't think a VIP program would be best. I don't know details on how you would implement one, but i know if you did it would be better than anyone else's VIP program; simply because that is what you two do.

In my year of being here i am constantly astounded with the level of quality/detail you two put into EVERYTHING. It is why THP is a great place.

I can see how the complaints would get to you both, you are very nice people and NOBODY likes criticism. Especially if they have any level of control over it.

I think people should pay for their own shipping. It isn't going to be much - and even paying a little would weed out those that just want something "free". I don't think even a set of clubs would be more than a round of golf - and how are they going to test them if they cant afford driving range tokens or course time. I mean - i know everybody on here isn't blessed with disposable incomes but i don't think asking for shipping is going to break their pockets. And if there is a contributing member that you two think should have the opportunity to test something - and they are not able to afford shipping - i'm sure exceptions could be made. Those that can afford to pay for shipping - i'm sure would never have a problem paying.

Activity and post counts are a delicate thing. I am not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to everything about golf. I read alot of these threads and soak in information; i post when something crosses my mind. i admit my post count has been up lately - due to my involvement in the Morgan Cup and it being the off season. When its mid summer - i'm going to be wrecking my schedule trying to find time to squeeze in practice rounds/practice time/ work/ girlfriend time/honey-do lists/etc etc.

I love THP - and i read it over coffee every morning - and usually before i fall asleep at night. I try to be a contributing member as best i can.

As far as women reviewing products. That does suck to hear the raw numbers there - but i remember reading KellyBo's experience/fitting with the cleveland rep from day 1 - and her review/experience of that day was top-notch and as well-written as any other "male" reviewer/poster here.

Could THP create a mini-contract that testers would sign via email - that would contain certain criteria? Post a review within X days, answer questions, NOSALE CLAUSE. I mean it would be hard and shouldn't even NEED addressing.

The last part goes hand in hand with open testing i think. Like i said i joined here last year looking for reviews on a new set of clubs. I read about every set of clubs that i saw in the store - and it was good honest opinions from a large member base. Its what i really liked. Everyone was nice - even when they said "dude, its your swing, not the clubs - go get lessons" it was put in very nice terms and i'm so glad it was. I knew i needed them - but after 3 lessons i was hitting the ball better than i ever had before - and after a year i'm striking the ball with confidence.

The camaraderie here, i never would have expected from an online forum; its why i stayed-

it was never about testing - that is a BONUS IMO. I have done three tests in my year here - E6 orange balls; nutrition bar (that was tasty!); and the Polara Golf Balls. I was glad to do them -honored in fact - I wanted to write as good and honest review as i could. By writing quality reviews - maybe it would lead to other testing opportunities in the future. Would i have liked to be involved in other tests? absolutely. was i upset i wasn't selected? absolutely. I would be lying if i didn't say that. But with those tests comes a large responsibility - and i accepted that. I knew i wasn't a 10-20 posts per day kinda guy - IMO i hadn't been here long enough to establish rapport with them.

I guess what i was trying to say is; i came here to read the honest opinionated reviews. When i found there were people just as passionate about the game as i was - i stayed. I made a few friends - played a few rounds with local THP'ers. Signed up for the demo day in May, where i cannot wait to meet the rest of you. Tried to post detailed/quality posts. I figured when they wanted me to test something - they would give me the chance. I never expected anything to be owed me. Or that just bc i was here for a year i should be entitled anything.

Here's some input from a very new THP member, for what it is worth:

1. I could not agree more with those that have said that they did not join here to get free stuff and will keep coming back regardless of whether they ever get to test anything. That is exactly how I feel. I stumbled across this place when searching for reviews of the TaylorMade 2.0s. The forum-member reviews were a great resource and, in my opinion, the forum testing is one of the things that makes this website stand out among so many others. Even if some change needs to be made, I'd urge you to keep the forum testing in some form.

2. I agree with Thainer's point about seeing more engagement in the review threads and more in-depth reviews. Sometimes it is difficult to see a 1-2 paragraph review, followed by 8-10 pages of people thanking the reviewer or saying "Great review!", and then maybe a few more paragraphs of review later in the thread. Or having to read to page 27 before you actually find a review. On the flip side of that, it is nice to get real time feedback and updates instead of waiting weeks or months for a single in-depth review. Something that might help is to limit the testing threads to legitimate questions for the tester and/or discussion of the product being tested so that pages and pages of the thread aren't filled up by posts simply thanking or praising the tester.

3. With my grand total of 30-ish posts on this site, I certainly would not be expect to be picked for anything, especially the privilege of testing equipment. That said, I would love the opportunity to do so sometime in the future. I have to admit that I have wondered if I'll ever have that opportunity. I do not have the luxury of posting all day, every day. I can generally spend some time browsing the forums a during the weekdays, perhaps making a few posts on subjects where I feel I might have something to add or a question to ask. But I generally cannot check or post on the forums in the evenings or at night and try not to post just to post. I am certainly not criticizing those who can spend more time here or more actively engage in multiple discussions (I think that's great). But no matter how much time I spend here, trying to keep up and enjoy the site, I will probably never have the activity level of some people. But if I were ever selected to test a product, I would devote time and energy to it and I think I would be capabable of writing an in-depth, helpful review and actively engaging in discussion about the product. I realize, however, that a distinction has to be made somewhere and activity level might be the best way to do it. If that's the case, I completely understand.

4. Along the lines of my #3, I'd suggest maybe a little more transparency in how testers are selected. In my brief time here, I've figured out the names of about 15-25 posters who I think will usually get selected to do the testing. Every time I've seen a testing thread, the testers seems to be selected from that same pool. Again, I'm certainly not complaining. I gather that those posters are generally some of the more active, respected posters on this site. If it is the case that those 15-25 people are the most qualified and/or the only ones meeting the criteria, perhaps a VIP group makes some sense. But some more transparency or specific criteria might give people a clearer idea of what it takes to be a tester. For example, if Poster X sees Poster Y selected to test a set of irons and then selected to test some balls, and then selected to a hybrid within a span of a few months while others are not getting the opportunity to test even one product, I think it's natural that Poster X might start thinking that Poster Y is being favored somehow. If Poster X knew exactly why Poster Y was being chosen repeatedly, he/she would probably feel less slighted. And, at the same time, people like me would know whether we ever have a shot somewhere down the line.

I think people should pay for their own shipping. It isn't going to be much - and even paying a little would weed out those that just want something "free". I don't think even a set of clubs would be more than a round of golf - and how are they going to test them if they cant afford driving range tokens or course time. I mean - i know everybody on here isn't blessed with disposable incomes but i don't think asking for shipping is going to break their pockets. And if there is a contributing member that you two think should have the opportunity to test something - and they are not able to afford shipping - i'm sure exceptions could be made. Those that can afford to pay for shipping - i'm sure would never have a problem paying.

Great point about testing and I could not agree more with that entire statement!

bigskyirish, I quite liked what you had to say

also - i thought of this after i posted/pm

Feedback PM/EMAIL: Might get a little hectic with the amount of reviews you all do: but i would love to hear feedback from you guys when i post a review. If i didn't fully accomplish something you wanted to see; i would want to hear that. If i didnt fulfill expectations -the negative feedback would be the only way i could improve my reviews for the future.

It was an honor to be able to test the golf balls - and i took that as an opportunity to provide the best review i could - with the intentions it would allow me to further test things in the future. I hope others would take things just as seriously.

I tried to be as honest as possible with the Polara Balls - i just cannot hit my driver with them. So i felt i had to include that in my review.

I know this is hard for ya all - wish you the best in finding a happy medium in the future - i hope people see that with patience comes rewards.

Back