Future of Product Testing on THP

Here's some input from a very new THP member, for what it is worth:

1. I could not agree more with those that have said that they did not join here to get free stuff and will keep coming back regardless of whether they ever get to test anything. That is exactly how I feel. I stumbled across this place when searching for reviews of the TaylorMade 2.0s. The forum-member reviews were a great resource and, in my opinion, the forum testing is one of the things that makes this website stand out among so many others. Even if some change needs to be made, I'd urge you to keep the forum testing in some form.

2. I agree with Thainer's point about seeing more engagement in the review threads and more in-depth reviews. Sometimes it is difficult to see a 1-2 paragraph review, followed by 8-10 pages of people thanking the reviewer or saying "Great review!", and then maybe a few more paragraphs of review later in the thread. Or having to read to page 27 before you actually find a review. On the flip side of that, it is nice to get real time feedback and updates instead of waiting weeks or months for a single in-depth review. Something that might help is to limit the testing threads to legitimate questions for the tester and/or discussion of the product being tested so that pages and pages of the thread aren't filled up by posts simply thanking or praising the tester.

3. With my grand total of 30-ish posts on this site, I certainly would not be expect to be picked for anything, especially the privilege of testing equipment. That said, I would love the opportunity to do so sometime in the future. I have to admit that I have wondered if I'll ever have that opportunity. I do not have the luxury of posting all day, every day. I can generally spend some time browsing the forums a during the weekdays, perhaps making a few posts on subjects where I feel I might have something to add or a question to ask. But I generally cannot check or post on the forums in the evenings or at night and try not to post just to post. I am certainly not criticizing those who can spend more time here or more actively engage in multiple discussions (I think that's great). But no matter how much time I spend here, trying to keep up and enjoy the site, I will probably never have the activity level of some people. But if I were ever selected to test a product, I would devote time and energy to it and I think I would be capabable of writing an in-depth, helpful review and actively engaging in discussion about the product. I realize, however, that a distinction has to be made somewhere and activity level might be the best way to do it. If that's the case, I completely understand.

4. Along the lines of my #3, I'd suggest maybe a little more transparency in how testers are selected. In my brief time here, I've figured out the names of about 15-25 posters who I think will usually get selected to do the testing. Every time I've seen a testing thread, the testers seems to be selected from that same pool. Again, I'm certainly not complaining. I gather that those posters are generally some of the more active, respected posters on this site. If it is the case that those 15-25 people are the most qualified and/or the only ones meeting the criteria, perhaps a VIP group makes some sense. But some more transparency or specific criteria might give people a clearer idea of what it takes to be a tester. For example, if Poster X sees Poster Y selected to test a set of irons and then selected to test some balls, and then selected to a hybrid within a span of a few months while others are not getting the opportunity to test even one product, I think it's natural that Poster X might start thinking that Poster Y is being favored somehow. If Poster X knew exactly why Poster Y was being chosen repeatedly, he/she would probably feel less slighted. And, at the same time, people like me would know whether we ever have a shot somewhere down the line.

couldnt agree more :)

This.

And this.

These are just two examples of well-written posts from good-intentioned people, the type of people that permeate this site and cause me to come here daily for my golf fix. Unfortunately, not everyone has this type of attitude and these types will always be around to selfishly complain about something.

I'll keep coming back whether I get selected to test or not. I didn't start browsing these forums on the chance I'll get some "free stuff", and that isn't what will keep me around.

Keep doing what you're doing and just brush the haters off. :act-up:

Quick ? You have a low handicapper shoots low 70's not very well educated and can not put his words down in text, then you have a hacker shoots high 90's who is educated and works for
the Tribune and has well written post means he/she should do some testing ?Personally i'm going with the guy who shoots low 70's . Its just a ? :D:

Quick ? You have a low handicapper shoots low 70's not very well educated and can not put his words down in text, then you have a hacker shoots high 90's who is educated and works for
the Tribune and has well written post means he/she should do some testing ?Personally i'm going with the guy who shoots low 70's . Its just a ? :D:

Hmmm. I'd probably trust either of them, but I'd be more inclined to wonder how somebody from the same skill set as me thinks about a product. By that logic, we might as well just have touring pros review everything. Or a robot.

Hawk I think this is a great post and you hit the nail on the head. It's not always about getting stuff, sure that part is nice but there is a responsibility that comes with it.

Agreed 100%. I'm pretty new so I obvoiously haven't been chosen to do any testing yet. To me, the best part of testing and reviewing would be answering specific questions from forum members. Where else can you get that sort of interaction with a product review? Try emailing GolfDigest and ask them a question trying to get information from a specific reviewer about a club on their hotlist. You won't get anything in return.

I came to this forum looking for reviews on golf balls. I found a few threads, asked a few questions, and I settled on the ZStar. Wanting to make sure that I had all of my bases covered, I took it a step further and had a ball fitting done. What came out on top? The ZStar. It just goes to show that this provides the value of a custom fitting without all of the hassel.

I'm not a big comic book dude at all, but I did see the first Spider Man movie. When you get chosen to review a piece of a equipment, it is like getting bit by that bad-ass spider.

With great power comes great responsibility.

A reviewer has the responsibility to give their thorough breakdown of the equipment received, and then needs to make himself available to answer questions posted by other members. That is what makes this community so great. I would hate to see any change to testing process.

Hmmm. I'd probably trust either of them, but I'd be more inclined to wonder how somebody from the same skill set as me thinks about a product. By that logic, we might as well just have touring pros review everything. Or a robot.

I agree, that is probably my favorite part of forum testing is that we get to see what a 5 HC'er can do with the club and also how it would perform in the hands of a 20 HC'er.

I have an Idea, not sure if it has been mentioned. Do it on a return basis!! Get a few different opinions on the same equipment from different handicappers. Say you get 5 of each of something to test. Then you have 5 different THPer's test the products for a certain amount of time. Then send it back to THP and on to the next tester... Then after a per determined number of test for each item, have THP sell them. Either here on THP or on Ebay. Let THP keep the money they receive to put back into THP, the site we all love so much!! But, the people who test it, have a chance to buy it first in the order they tested the product. I understand you can't do this with some equipment like balls, gloves, and apparal. I don't know if this will help. But I'd be willing to do it this way. I don't need the free gear, I just want to learn all i can to find out what gear I can eventually get to improve my game!

Well low or high HC, if someone can't write clearly then the review is useless. But all things being equal, unless its a review of tour blades or something, the opinion of the guy who shoots in the 90's is going to be way more relevant to me (and to most golfers) than the one of the guy who shoots in the 70's.

I agree, that is probably my favorite part of forum testing is that we get to see what a 5 HC'er can do with the club and also how it would perform in the hands of a 20 HC'er.

I enjoy reading reviews from people with varied skill levels/swing types. What angers me is when people b*tch about not being selected!!! I have yet to be selected to product test. I see it as testing is a privilege and have not been asked yet. In the future I may be call upon to review a product and I will give an honest assessment.

I am a big fan of THP & happy to be a member.

Well low or high HC, if someone can't write clearly then the review is useless. But all things being equal, unless its a review of tour blades or something, the opinion of the guy who shoots in the 90's is going to be way more relevant to me (and to most golfers) than the one of the guy who shoots in the 70's.

I guess what i mean is somebody shouldn't get a chance to do testing just b/c they have well written post .

I agree, that is probably my favorite part of forum testing is that we get to see what a 5 HC'er can do with the club and also how it would perform in the hands of a 20 HC'er.[/QUOTE
Exactly. This way you get a true over all performance of the testing product.

I joined THP last year and really did not know what I was missing. I have entered a few of the offers to test clubs with the idea that I would be able to put clubs in play in real situations and then write about it. Come on! This is great oppurtunity that JB and GG are puting at our feet with the help of the generous golf companies.

I am not sure how many members there are but we can't all test clubs and we can't all be part of the Morgan Cup teams. But we can use our own clubs and and equipment then offer our opinions on them. Those of us that live in the Orlando area can get in the car and go support those that made the Morgan cup team, hell you'll be inside the ropes.

I try to get on THP as much as possible but I have two small children and a wife that require my attention. When I do get it on I have a blast until I read a long letter from JB and GG because someone got there feelings hurt. If you want free swag start playing the pro-am circuit, they give out some nice goodie bag. If you want to read, and write about golf equipment, keep up with THP. JB and GG can't test it all, there is not that much time in a day or week.

Just yesterday I read the write up on the Cleveland Launcher FL 3W with the Miyazaki shaft and wanted to try it. I demo'd it today via Edwin Watts Golf and found out that I did like it but it did not fit the type of shot I was looking for. That article may prompt someone else to try it and buy it. If it wasn't for the write up I would have never picked up that club. I did however demo the new Titleist 910F 15 degree 3metal and it was perfect for me. (I'll write something about it in another post)
I do not want to see testing go away, I want to see write ups from all different levels of golfers, I want to hear the good the bad and the ugly. I'd like to tee it up with some of the members and get there feed back on different parts of golf. That is what I joined this site for, not free swag. I don't know JB or GG on a personal level but I have to say based on what I have read and heard, they are good people doing what they love. Don't ruin it for everyone by whining over not being picked to swing a club, we are talking about a club (insert practice and you have A.I.)

Disagree or agree with me it makes no difference, I'm still going to play golf with all 15 clubs in my bag :bulgy-eyes: And if you in the Orlando area and have 5 hours to kill, snd me a note and w can tee it. Thanks JB and GG for doing what you do

Alot, if not all of the clubs come with the conditions that they cannot be sold.
I have an Idea, not sure if it has been mentioned. Do it on a return basis!! Get a few different opinions on the same equipment from different handicappers. Say you get 5 of each of something to test. Then you have 5 different THPer's test the products for a certain amount of time. Then send it back to THP and on to the next tester... Then after a per determined number of test for each item, have THP sell them. Either here on THP or on Ebay. Let THP keep the money they receive to put back into THP, the site we all love so much!! But, the people who test it, have a chance to buy it first in the order they tested the product. I understand you can't do this with some equipment like balls, gloves, and apparal. I don't know if this will help. But I'd be willing to do it this way. I don't need the free gear, I just want to learn all i can to find out what gear I can eventually get to improve my game!

I personally think testers should keep the equipment. It really is a thank you for doing 'long term testing', and its not like their review stops. It continues for the life that they have or play the clubs. But if the testers are testing something new and the other tested club is not being used, i do believe they should play it forward.

The bottom line is that people should not be getting upset about not getting picked to review. However, this will happen and i understand your concern that it will start to turn people off of the forum. In my opinion a VIP program would only make that problem worse. I would not scrap the program because i feel like the opportunity to select forum members to review products is what makes this community unique.

I think something that may make life easier on you is to make the products that are going to be reviewed stated in an exact fashion, and write a little bit about what you are looking for in a reviewer for each product. For example on hybrid reviews you might write"

16 degree - x stiff flex - Looking for a player with 110+ swing speed swing would is a 5 or less handicap and plays multiple times a week.

20 degree - regular flex - Looking for a play with slower swing speeds who is a weekend golfer and may be new to the game.

then the testers would have to ask for a specific club to review before you select the reviewers. this way it may avoid some of the confusion for people wondering why they were not selected to review a specific club.

I would also like to see people pay their own shipping costs. The costs of THP I think go fairly unnoticed, and the costs incurred with testing definitely go unnoticed.
This I could be on board with. Come up with a flat shipping rate for a variety of packages. $5.00 for a prize pack, $10.00 for an individual club, $20.00 for an iron set. I’m just throwing out examples. If something is to be given away or needs to be shipped, in the first post it is included that the winner will be responsible for $XX.00 to cover shipping costs. Seems pretty simple and basic. Other websites I frequent do the same thing and I have no problem with it.

wasnt this thread also about complaints and that we should bring them out in the open? I havent really seen many of those in here

The bottom line is that people should not be getting upset about not getting picked to review. However, this will happen and i understand your concern that it will start to turn people off of the forum. In my opinion a VIP program would only make that problem worse. I would not scrap the program because i feel like the opportunity to select forum members to review products is what makes this community unique.

I think something that may make life easier on you is to make the products that are going to be reviewed stated in an exact fashion, and write a little bit about what you are looking for in a reviewer for each product. For example on hybrid reviews you might write"

16 degree - x stiff flex - Looking for a player with 110+ swing speed swing would is a 5 or less handicap and plays multiple times a week.

20 degree - regular flex - Looking for a play with slower swing speeds who is a weekend golfer and may be new to the game.

then the testers would have to ask for a specific club to review before you select the reviewers. this way it may avoid some of the confusion for people wondering why they were not selected to review a specific club.

Some good points made here also. This could have helped for example with the Polara ball thread. The target audience for that ball would have been a golfer that struggles hitting it straight off the tee and is a 14 plus handicap or something along those lines. To set criteria with any review should help dwindle down the number of those that apply and put a good focus on getting the product into the right hands for a proper review.

This I could be on board with. Come up with a flat shipping rate for a variety of packages. $5.00 for a prize pack, $10.00 for an individual club, $20.00 for an iron set. I’m just throwing out examples. If something is to be given away or needs to be shipped, in the first post it is included that the winner will be responsible for $XX.00 to cover shipping costs. Seems pretty simple and basic. Other websites I frequent do the same thing and I have no problem with it.

Or you could just pay the price of shipping for the item that you are testing.

wasnt this thread also about complaints and that we should bring them out in the open? I havent really seen many of those in here

I can't belive people have the !@#$ to complain about not being chosen to do testing, I think GREED has got the best of some people. Cmon now there things in life that i do not get the chance to do , isn't that what we call life?

I can't belive people have the !@#$ to complain about not being chosen to do testing, I think GREED has got the best of some people. Cmon now there things in life that i do not get the chance to do , isn't that what we call life?

I agree, but I know people complain about not getting free stuff, so I guess I am surprised (not really) that they have voiced their opinions in the open. Well, except my bro and that didnt turn out so pretty

I agree, but I know people complain about not getting free stuff, so I guess I am surprised (not really) that they have voiced their opinions in the open. Well, except my bro and that didnt turn out so pretty

I PM'd your bro and he gave me a clearer sense of what he was speaking to. Without getting too detailed, TC is right about lurkers. You got a great bro One T.

I do not want to think i was singling out your bro OneT had no intension :D

This thread just pisses me off. I mean really? What does anyone have to complain about? Heres a complaint. Im complaining about complainers. Just makes me sick. I think anyone that gets anything should be happy about it. And those that dont get anything should be happy for those that do get to test something. I think people need to look at the bigger picture. If you lurk here on the forum that doesnt make you active. That makes you a lurker. Why does OEM Kevin want to give you his new line of irons for testing if you only lurk? He doesnt! He wants the person with a high post count and who talks about golf to do it. Think about it. If you want to be a part of THP then be a part of it. Be a part of all of it. Not just popping up when a new test thread goes up. Look at this thread, over 600 post of which 90% might be people who I have no idea who you are. If I have no idea who you are you can bet TM, Callaway, Ping, Cleveland and anyone else looking for testers dont either. So you tell me why they want to put a set of pre-release clubs in your hands. Theres a lot expected of you when you test something. Are you sure youre ready for it? Look at the Burner 2.0 thread. Can you bring it like that? That thread still pops up on a weekly basis and I love it.

Boom Baby! Love it.
This thread just pisses me off. I mean really? What does anyone have to complain about? Heres a complaint. Im complaining about complainers. Just makes me sick. I think anyone that gets anything should be happy about it. And those that dont get anything should be happy for those that do get to test something. I think people need to look at the bigger picture. If you lurk here on the forum that doesnt make you active. That makes you a lurker. Why does OEM Kevin want to give you his new line of irons for testing if you only lurk? He doesnt! He wants the person with a high post count and who talks about golf to do it. Think about it. If you want to be a part of THP then be a part of it. Be a part of all of it. Not just popping up when a new test thread goes up. Look at this thread, over 600 post of which 90% might be people who I have no idea who you are. If I have no idea who you are you can bet TM, Callaway, Ping, Cleveland and anyone else looking for testers dont either. So you tell me why they want to put a set of pre-release clubs in your hands. Theres a lot expected of you when you test something. Are you sure youre ready for it? Look at the Burner 2.0 thread. Can you bring it like that? That thread still pops up on a weekly basis and I love it.

Bazinga!

Agreed. I don't understand why people are complaining about the process. Sure there is dissappointment, I've been there and felt it. But you move on. ddec agrees with OEM Kevin(I love that you went all 3rd person in that post so I had to do the same)!

Back