Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

On the radar as I hate my current hybrid. But I've only had a chance to hit about ~20 balls into the net at the store last weekend.

Initial impressions were decent.....essentially, I topped the ball like the first 4-5 times before I adjusted. After that adjustment, things were pretty good although there was probably around 2 more topped shots after that. All in all, my impressions are positive but I need to see this out on the driving range next.

The other problem I have is possibly with the shaft. While I think it's not bad, I had the chance to try out the C.Kua on the Cleveland drivers the same day and hit some great shots into the launch monitor. However, my bad shots were TERRIBLE snap hooks. All in all, I need some more time with the new Clevelands, both on the range and the launch monitor.

An additional complication is I've been hitting these (hybrid, cg16 irons, and drivers) in conjunction with the TM offerings so I want to spend some more time with that. As that's a different topic, I'll just be brief and said that I felt I liked the R11 a lot, hated the burner 2.0 (both irons and driver), and haven't had a chance to play the forged irons yet.

Getting back to the mashie though, the last thing about it is, it really is quite ugly to my eye at address. That won't affect me as if it performs, it performs, but just getting it out there.

As I have learned and other Mashie people have learned, if you sow down your swing a bit the club will work with you and the shots will straighten out nicely. Alot of us had hooks when we started with the Mashie, then over time and through practice it came to us.

Yep Rhino. The issue is old habits die hard. I still work myself into trouble taking bigger rips than I should on the course and while it's a nice idea to have the club remind me to take it easy on the course, I'm not certain that's a fully reliable solution just yet.

I guess the problem I have with my current hybrid isn't so much that I can't hit it. I'm just very unhappy with the trajectory. Probably due to the shaft, I tend to hit a low shot that carries in the 210 range and rolls like another 20 yards. This was more of a reflex purchase since I've found most hybrids too "whippy" for my tastes and this might have been too much the other direction.

Essentially, I need to have the confidence my bad shots won't be completely OB on me and so I'm going to give this some time. And yes, I'll be hitting this a lot in the stores as I mull it over. (I'll have to visit them anyways to try out those new TM irons ya know!)

I've got the m1 and m3 and possibly considering adding the m5 and starting with 6 iron after that. I'll be getting on a trackman this weekend to see how the gapping goes. Anyone else considering this? Wondering if I should try the 80 shaft or stick with the 59 in the m5. Anyway I had some good testing this last weekend hitting my m1 against my k15 3 wood. I hit both off of par 4 and 5's with a b330s and some holes the 3 wood was longer and some holes the m1 was longer. With out a doubt the m1 had better dispersion. So now i'm thinking of getting a strong 3 wood and ditching the k15 3 wood.

well I finally got to try out a Mashie today. The golf pro at the local CC has several for members to demo. I tried the M3 stiff shaft. I didn't go to the range as I was trying to beat the rain so I went straight to the course. I only got in 8 holes and only hit the Mashie 4 times. Now I don't have any hybrids and haven't hit any, I don't even have a 3i, I have a TM 7w. Anyway I hit it off the tee on the 2nd hole, a 370 yd dog leg to the right par 4. I cut it down the fairway and was left with 155yd to the pin,it felt great. My next shot with it was on a 409 yd dog leg left par 4. Teed off with it and landed it in the center of the fairway with 195 yds left to the pin, used it for my 2nd shot off the turf for the first time and didn't quite finish my swing and pushed it a little right. I was just a little causious about making contact but again it felt great. Last shot was on a 185 yd par 3 over water. The shot was into the wind and it just amazed me how well the ball cut through the wind. My shot was just right of the pin and rolled 10 feet by the hole. It started to storm so I headed back to the Clubhouse to turn the demo club back in and while I was there I had the head pro hold a new M3 for me. I will be back there Friday to pick it up. This is the first club I have ever picked up and hit every ball solid and straight without needing range time, it just fit my swing I guess, I loved the feel.
I want to give thanks to all of you here at THP for your great work on giving your honest opinions on the clubs you are demoing. I might not of have ever tried this club without all the great post here.
Now the next step is checking my gaps in my bag to see if another Mashie is needed.

well I finally got to try out a Mashie today. The golf pro at the local CC has several for members to demo. I tried the M3 stiff shaft. I didn't go to the range as I was trying to beat the rain so I went straight to the course. I only got in 8 holes and only hit the Mashie 4 times. Now I don't have any hybrids and haven't hit any, I don't even have a 3i, I have a TM 7w. Anyway I hit it off the tee on the 2nd hole, a 370 yd dog leg to the right par 4. I cut it down the fairway and was left with 155yd to the pin,it felt great. My next shot with it was on a 409 yd dog leg left par 4. Teed off with it and landed it in the center of the fairway with 195 yds left to the pin, used it for my 2nd shot off the turf for the first time and didn't quite finish my swing and pushed it a little right. I was just a little causious about making contact but again it felt great. Last shot was on a 185 yd par 3 over water. The shot was into the wind and it just amazed me how well the ball cut through the wind. My shot was just right of the pin and rolled 10 feet by the hole. It started to storm so I headed back to the Clubhouse to turn the demo club back in and while I was there I had the head pro hold a new M3 for me. I will be back there Friday to pick it up. This is the first club I have ever picked up and hit every ball solid and straight without needing range time, it just fit my swing I guess, I loved the feel.
I want to give thanks to all of you here at THP for your great work on giving your honest opinions on the clubs you are demoing. I might not of have ever tried this club without all the great post here.
Now the next step is checking my gaps in my bag to see if another Mashie is needed.

Are you replacing your 7 wood with the M3 or will you play both?

I am glad you found so much success with the Mashie and the fact you are already looking for a spot for another Mashie.

I went to the range again today. I think I have the M1 figured out now. I am now pondering the M3, but will wait until the outing before buying anything

I went to the range again today. I think I have the M1 figured out now. I am now pondering the M3, but will wait until the outing before buying anything

I am sure there will be quite a few down there if you want to swing one. hehhehe

just wanted to post a quick update on how much I love my M5. I put my 5 iron in the back up bag and went with the M5 about 3 weeks ago. Yesterday I used it on a par 3 and almost had my first hole on one. The ball hit and rolled back right at the cup. Did not go in but easy birdie. I'm amazed at how good the m5 checks up. Batter then my 5 iron.

Im glad I found this thread. Great club. I enjoy all the write ups and hearing all the success on the M1. I keep pondering it but have not pulled the trigger. I just Like my 3 wood too much .

Mashie strikes again! I love it.

I am finding out that the Mashie Tour is the real deal. If you are having a bad swing day, this club is not really that forgiving, but it is easier to hit on a bad day than a 3 iron.

I am finding out that the Mashie Tour is the real deal. If you are having a bad swing day, this club is not really that forgiving, but it is easier to hit on a bad day than a 3 iron.

What made you go with a "Tour" version over the standard? Did you hit them both and go with what gave you better results? Or was it just preference and look?

I struggle with my M3 sometimes. Yesterday I took my Vision Track to the range and practiced with the M3. I was hitting the best shots ever. I figured out that I was swinging it more like a fairway wood by dragging it back too shallow instead of coming up like an iron. I'm hoping that I have this club figured out now. I played a few holes and only needed it once but it performed exceptionally well. The M5 is my go to club more than anything in my bag. Total confidence with that one!!!

I have a question to all the old and new Mashie owners out there.

If you could change one thing about the Mashie, what would it be?

What made you go with a "Tour" version over the standard? Did you hit them both and go with what gave you better results? Or was it just preference and look?

I'm curious about this as well OEM, but we know that Setho prefers the workability of his sticks :D

That there would be an M1 option in LH

That there would be an M1 option in LH

Is that the only left version of the Mashie that is not available?

Is the Mashie on your radar? If so, what's holding you back from pursuing one (style, headcover, price, weight, etc)?
The Mashie is definitely on my radar. I am waiting for a demo day (right now it looks like May 8th) where I can hit them off grass, and where I can get some numbers to figure out which one(s) will fit into my set. I'm guessing M4. The next question is whether to get an M2 or Launcher FL 3W to finish out my set.

The headcover. I still dont like it.

I had tried the Mashie regular version and I loved it. At the demo day at Ole Gray and KellyBo's place, I wanted to try the M3 Tour because I had never hit it. I was killing the ball with it! I mean absolutely crushing the ball long and straight. A mishit was still pretty straight that day, but my mishits were not that bad. I had a case of the s****s yesterday that I beat out in the dirt. I eventually started hitting the ball well, but there were some horrifying shots before I got dialed in.

I went with the Tour version because I liked the look of the head and it really appeared to be pretty forgiving during the demo day. It is still forgiving, but not as much as a regular Mashie, but if you are putting bad swings with the Tour version, you will definitely get less than stellar results.

I'm curious about this as well OEM, but we know that Setho prefers the workability of his sticks :D

Oh, you bastard haha.

Typical Setho, trying to make this game harder on himself than he should, hahaha.

Nah, good luck with it dude.

On a side note, I actually faded the ball for the first time with my Mashie yesterday, it wasn't much of a fade, but it did fade.

Typical Setho, trying to make this game harder on himself than he should, hahaha.

On a side note, I actually faded the ball for the first time with my Mashie yesterday, it wasn't much of a fade, but it did fade.

lol. Ive seen a little fade here and there too. Not much but some.

I have faded the ball with the M1, but not with the M3 yet.

I've still not done it. But I'm close. The M2 is the gap filler I'm in need of. Think I'm hitting the range tonight, so I'll be trying any mashie they have, in any flex, just to get a feel for it. I have the idea that I'll like the heavier shaft, and I think the stiff will be stout enough for me, going on previous answers.
Do both shafts come as an option on the normal and the tour versions?

Yeah, I did learn a lesson though. I was hitting it so well during the demo and I really saw it as being as forgiving as the regular Mashie. I should have taken into account that I was hitting the ball pretty well during the demo day and I think I could have hit pretty much anything well. Still easier than my 3 iron, so I am happy.

Back