Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

I absolutely love the look of the mashie! I just love looking down at it.

I am with you SethO. I think the look is just awesome. I don't know if I love the look of the club or the headcover more. I just love the old style look of the headcovers in my bag. NICE!

I wasnt sure about the look at first but I quite like it now. Im still not a fan of the headcover but it works I guess.

I'm glad that the headcover is durable. That was my biggest concern and I haven't had any issues whatsoever.

I wasnt sure about the look at first but I quite like it now. Im still not a fan of the headcover but it works I guess.

See I think headcovers today are getting way to big. They take up to much room and get in the way. I wish they would make them a bit smaller.

I felt the same way about the look of the club. When I first saw it at the demo day I was kind of turned off by it, but once I set up to the ball with and took some swings the look didn't bother me one bit. I think the headcover has a nice look to it, but I'm searching for some new ones. I may throw a Cleveland DST headcover on it.

See I love the DST headcover. I think if the Mashie and the DST got a room one night the result might be perfect.

Took these two out yesterday for some action.

M1: Off the tee 1x and fairway 2x. I was having a small fade off my tee shots (M1 and M3) yesterday. Nothing big and it was about 5 yards. All that talk about fade must've been what did it. I did not workable the ball on purpose it just kinda happened. I eventually figured it out and put the ball a little further back and hit it straight for my 3rd shot off the fairway. I played the second furthest tees and the course was playing a bit long so M1 off the tee wasn't as feasible on most par 4's or 5's. I could play to a number but the pins were protected and I needed to be as close as possbile if that makes sense. 231 was my distance off the tee and I hit the fairway shots 237, 234 . The fairway shots were split between a push and bullet but solid contact on everything. That's what I'm looking for right now.

My first teeshot was on the first hole. Hit a great feeling shot that faded at the end. Ended up in the bunk and sliced the Heyzues out of my shot, left with about 110 in on a downhill lie. Put my PW to 8 ft. Missread the break lol. 5 though. Not bad!

M3: I didnt get a lot of use out of this club yesterday. 1x off the tee (229 after cart path lol, it was about 205 carry.. I know the spot on the course all too well). Its a short par 4, 270 yards or so. Fairway can run up to about 250 but water comes into play about 225 out and right. The whole is over the water to the right. Basically and shot 200 or more and you have a 60-80 shot into the green unless you go left. The green is severly uphill so you want to add another 10 yards or so to your guess on what to hit. M3 is perfect for this hole. I did fade that tee shot but really didnt have any chance to adjust. I went onto the course cold. I just caught the edge of a grass bunker which kicked it onto the cart path. I was gonna be in a for a great angle to the whole. Still had a good one but I think this hole is made for the M3. Par'd the whole.

I hit one off the fairway while I was waiting but didnt get any yardage. I don't think there is a club I'm making better contact with though. I always seem to hit my shots better after a Mashie shot or two. Really gets me in a groove. I've probably said it 800x but it never gets old.

Took these two out yesterday for some action.

M1: Off the tee 1x and fairway 2x. I was having a small fade off my tee shots (M1 and M3) yesterday. Nothing big and it was about 5 yards. All that talk about fade must've been what did it. I did not workable the ball on purpose it just kinda happened. I eventually figured it out and put the ball a little further back and hit it straight for my 3rd shot off the fairway. I played the second furthest tees and the course was playing a bit long so M1 off the tee wasn't as feasible on most par 4's or 5's. I could play to a number but the pins were protected and I needed to be as close as possbile if that makes sense. 231 was my distance off the tee and I hit the fairway shots 237, 234 . The fairway shots were split between a push and bullet but solid contact on everything. That's what I'm looking for right now.

My first teeshot was on the first hole. Hit a great feeling shot that faded at the end. Ended up in the bunk and sliced the Heyzues out of my shot, left with about 110 in on a downhill lie. Put my PW to 8 ft. Missread the break lol. 5 though. Not bad!

M3: I didnt get a lot of use out of this club yesterday. 1x off the tee (229 after cart path lol, it was about 205 carry.. I know the spot on the course all too well). Its a short par 4, 270 yards or so. Fairway can run up to about 250 but water comes into play about 225 out and right. The whole is over the water to the right. Basically and shot 200 or more and you have a 60-80 shot into the green unless you go left. The green is severly uphill so you want to add another 10 yards or so to your guess on what to hit. M3 is perfect for this hole. I did fade that tee shot but really didnt have any chance to adjust. I went onto the course cold. I just caught the edge of a grass bunker which kicked it onto the cart path. I was gonna be in a for a great angle to the whole. Still had a good one but I think this hole is made for the M3. Par'd the whole.

I hit one off the fairway while I was waiting but didnt get any yardage. I don't think there is a club I'm making better contact with though. I always seem to hit my shots better after a Mashie shot or two. Really gets me in a groove. I've probably said it 800x but it never gets old.

Awesome review Yoccos. I feel the same way on the contact thoughts. I try to use the Mashie a lot on the range to get in to that grove. Nice work.

I really love hitting these clubs. I can't say that even on a poor swing & contact that I haven't had one still get up in the air. Every now and again I slice the crap out of a ball with the mashie, but that is b/c of a poor swing that sometimes creeps into my game. On some of the par 4's I play I've been tee'ing off with the M3 specifically so I get a chance to hit the M4 into the green.

I find in general I've been mixing up my game a lot in the first 4 times I've been out this year. Tee'ing off with the mashies a lot more to give myself A) a chance to hit different clubs & work on different shots and B) because I have been really hating my driver lately

Thanks man. I agree with you, it's the perfect warm up club for some of us. I'm definitely wanting to get a consistant straight shot but contact is key for me right now as well.

I was planning on going all Mashie when I walked onto the course but thought to myself I'm gonna use the driver. It ended up costing me a couple times though. Next time I'm really going to honor that request unless something drastic happens to my bag makeup.

Awesome review Yoccos. I feel the same way on the contact thoughts. I try to use the Mashie a lot on the range to get in to that grove. Nice work.

Thanks man. I agree with you, it's the perfect warm up club for some of us. I'm definitely wanting to get a consistant straight shot but contact is key for me right now as well.

I was planning on going all Mashie when I walked onto the course but thought to myself I'm gonna use the driver. It ended up costing me a couple times though. Next time I'm really going to honor that request unless something drastic happens to my bag makeup.

I tried going Mashie all the time one time. Then a R11 showed up later that week. You can guess the next part. HAHA

I really love hitting these clubs. I can't say that even on a poor swing & contact that I haven't had one still get up in the air. Every now and again I slice the crap out of a ball with the mashie, but that is b/c of a poor swing that sometimes creeps into my game. On some of the par 4's I play I've been tee'ing off with the M3 specifically so I get a chance to hit the M4 into the green.

I find in general I've been mixing up my game a lot in the first 4 times I've been out this year. Tee'ing off with the mashies a lot more to give myself A) a chance to hit different clubs & work on different shots and B) because I have been really hating my driver lately

I had the same issue with the huge slice when I tested the Mashie; I have a similar issues with the Bobby Jones Hybrid and with the original TM Burners as well. When I get deliberate in my tempo with long, light clubs I sometimes end up holding off the club face and not finishing so I have: open club face, open shoulders and "hanging back" too much on the right side. It's not a Mashie issue but a lighter shaft issue. When I finish my swing the Mashie is a launcher and the ball really flies long. But for me I've found that 75g shafts in my woods and 85g in my hybrids are easier to control because I feel the need to swing through and that's a better motion for me. I really need a hybrid that I can bite into like an iron to get consistent results.

Lol. Notice I left myself an out hahahaha.

I tried going Mashie all the time one time. Then a R11 showed up later that week. You can guess the next part. HAHA

I know a couple people who have similar swing thoughts with the lighter clubs. I was an all heavy shaft player for awhile. Once I got used to the lighter shafts I started to really dig it but it's different for everyone. I find I hit better shots when I don't step off the gas so to speak.

I had the same issue with the huge slice when I tested the Mashie; I have a similar issues with the Bobby Jones Hybrid and with the original TM Burners as well. When I get deliberate in my tempo with long, light clubs I sometimes end up holding off the club face and not finishing so I have: open club face, open shoulders and "hanging back" too much on the right side. It's not a Mashie issue but a lighter shaft issue. When I finish my swing the Mashie is a launcher and the ball really flies long. But for me I've found that 75g shafts in my woods and 85g in my hybrids are easier to control because I feel the need to swing through and that's a better motion for me. I really need a hybrid that I can bite into like an iron to get consistent results.

My issue mostly with longer clubs is not turning over my right wrist, thus releasing the club. But even on poor shots I love the ball flight of the mashie.

I also thought I'd note, the way the M4 just kinda drops a shot nice & soft on the green has led to a few really shots that have left me really impressed so far this season.

I am in the market for a new set off Irons to replace my Callaway bertha 08 irons. The question now is which ones and with what blade should I start with? If the M4 or M5 is better to hit than 4i&5i should I start with a 6i and carry 3 or 4 Mashie hybrids. Gap issues may answer that ? for me, I hit my 6i about 170-175 yds.Im open for suggestions from any of ya'll here, any advice would be greatly appreciated. One last question what gaps are ya'll seeing from one Mashie to the other, 1 thru 5. Thanks in advance

We sound about the same, distance-wise. I am currently hitting a M3 and M4 and then moving to Burner 6i and seeing good gaps. 6i = 170-175 and M4 picks up at 185-190, M3 at 205ish.

Finally got my Mashie today. M4 with the 83g shaft. I was originally was going to go with the M3 but being selected for the SF 2.0 threw a wrench into things. I see it more as a blessing though since I've been pondering a 4i replacement anyway. Time to finally get my Mashie on.

Took my daughter over to Golfsmith today to swing some hybrids. She is notoriously stubborn about what she thinks she wants her clubs to look like. Over the Winter I've been beating into her head that she needs to keep an open mind. So today we had the guy at Golfsmith tape up an R11, a SF 2.0, an older Diablo, and a Mashie. The first three in 21*, and the Mashie in the 20.5. All in regular flex. The R11 had the RIP shaft in it. Before she started hitting on the monitor she admitted she kind of liked the look of the Mashie. She likes the railers (sp?) on the bottom, which is why she likes the Diablos.

Man, oh man. It was no contest. The best shots she hit were with the Mashie. Higher ball flight, higher ball speed, more carry, and more distance. Per the monitor, she was carrying it 155 to 160 and getting a total distance between 165 and 170. She liked it a lot. She did not hit the SF 2.0 well at all. Hit a couple okay with the Diablo, but 10 to 15 yards shorter in general, and much lower. The R11 was the second best of the four, even though she thought it was the heaviest of the clubs, and that put her off. She hit two almost as long as the Mashie, but lower. The launch angle for those shots was 3* to 4* lower. Penetrating ball flight is good, but at 13 years old, 14 this Summer, we want the ball up and carrying.

Was an interesting little outing. We may have not considered these if it wasn't for this thread and THP. We have some figuring to do, but I could see us buying an 18*, a 20.5*, and a 23*.

Next thing to figure out. The dreaded 3W.

Kevin

Had a breakthrough with the M2 the past couple of days. Moved the ball back a little in my stance and really concentrated on getting my hands forward and hitting down on the ball and now I'm seeing what I was hoping to see out of this club, about 215-220 carry which is all I'm looking for. Looks like he gets to stay in my bag.

Had a breakthrough with the M2 the past couple of days. Moved the ball back a little in my stance and really concentrated on getting my hands forward and hitting down on the ball and now I'm seeing what I was hoping to see out of this club, about 215-220 carry which is all I'm looking for. Looks like he gets to stay in my bag.

That's funny, I noticed same thing on range over the weekend; I'm playing my hybrid further back, and it's giving me nice long draws. If I had it up too far I was hitting fat- short n hooking it.

I might pick up a m3 just to see what combo I should run with.

Tap, tap, tap.

Took my daughter over to Golfsmith today to swing some hybrids. She is notoriously stubborn about what she thinks she wants her clubs to look like. Over the Winter I've been beating into her head that she needs to keep an open mind. So today we had the guy at Golfsmith tape up an R11, a SF 2.0, an older Diablo, and a Mashie. The first three in 21*, and the Mashie in the 20.5. All in regular flex. The R11 had the RIP shaft in it. Before she started hitting on the monitor she admitted she kind of liked the look of the Mashie. She likes the railers (sp?) on the bottom, which is why she likes the Diablos.

Man, oh man. It was no contest. The best shots she hit were with the Mashie. Higher ball flight, higher ball speed, more carry, and more distance. Per the monitor, she was carrying it 155 to 160 and getting a total distance between 165 and 170. She liked it a lot. She did not hit the SF 2.0 well at all. Hit a couple okay with the Diablo, but 10 to 15 yards shorter in general, and much lower. The R11 was the second best of the four, even though she thought it was the heaviest of the clubs, and that put her off. She hit two almost as long as the Mashie, but lower. The launch angle for those shots was 3* to 4* lower. Penetrating ball flight is good, but at 13 years old, 14 this Summer, we want the ball up and carrying.

Was an interesting little outing. We may have not considered these if it wasn't for this thread and THP. We have some figuring to do, but I could see us buying an 18*, a 20.5*, and a 23*.

Next thing to figure out. The dreaded 3W.

Kevin

Nice! Sounds like a no brainer to load up on Mashies. If she liked the feel and the shaft, I think you have to give the Cleveland 3Ws a go. Probably a good match for her.

Nice! Sounds like a no brainer to load up on Mashies. If she liked the feel and the shaft, I think you have to give the Cleveland 3Ws a go. Probably a good match for her.

We ran out of time before getting to the 3Ws. When we got home I mentioned we need to check the Clevelands out, especially if they have the Miyazaki shafts. Though we're also considering a TEE XCG-V. She was crushing a used one, even though it had a low-mid launch shaft. We pop a high launch shaft in one and she could have a rocket on her hands. TEE FWs are the bomb.

Sorry for the off topic.

Ladies and Gentleman, back to the Mashies!

Kevin

Question: how easy is it to work the ball low with a M3/M4? A key rescue role of a hybrid for me is long punch shots from trees and low 150 - 175 yard bump and run shots due to the high winds around here. I'll often try and run up onto the greens by flighting low and landing 20 yards short. I have no issue hitting high with any of the hybrids in my bag or that I've tried but keeping them low is difficult on some with such low CG and high flight shafts.

Been to the range, and I finally got to hit a Mashie. Unfortunately, the only had the M3 with regular flex shaft. But I wanted to hit one, so I grabbed it.

The flex is all wrong, the offset clubhead shouldn't look right, the shaft is too light for my usual preference and overall this is THE EASIEST GOLF CLUB I HAVE EVER HIT! I mean, I put some terrible swings on this thing, but couldn't get it to go more than a couple of yards off line. What is that all about? I put it up against a Ping Rapture V2, just to get a comparison. I shouldn't have bothered, there's no comparison. I need me the M2, and going by how well I hit the regular, the stiff flex should be plenty stout enough for my needs. wow. I think I'm sold.

I'm glad that the headcover is durable. That was my biggest concern and I haven't had any issues whatsoever.

Mine is not so durable. I'm already seeing loose threads

Back