Compression Board Forum Testing & Review

Just getting caught up on this thread and the videos and I must say that I'm very impressed with the amount of time and effort the testers are putting in on this one. I will also say that b/c of what you guys are doing, I'm seriously pondering ordering one of these things.

mcook, your videos are killer and it's amazing to watch your shots continue to get better and better. I just wanted to let you know that you're doing an exceptional job with your testing.

+1 I agree TC. I find myself visiting this thread more than any because I too hit behind the ball so darn much.

I was using the rope on the driving range yesterday and put it the ball a few inches in front of the rope. It really helped me with a steeper downward and solid strike on the ball. I have enjoyed reading these reviews myself and will be ordering one of these. I believe at least 90 percent of amateur golfers could benefit from hitting the ball first and if this aid trains us to build that skill it's worth the money. Mccook great job on your review and the video on page 56 is awesome :thumb:

If you never actually compress the ball cleanly when you play you'll definitely see distance gains. It really let's you know when you put a good strike on the ball. If you practice with this on the range you will see improvements in your ball striking on the course that's for sure. I have really noticed it helping my pitching/chipping game as well. I'll try to clean the marks off tomorrow and see if they come off for you.

DawgDaddy- I get what you're saying now. If it works that's definitely cheaper than the board, but I really like it. I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
was just asking if that was pretty much the same thing, I wanted to try and see if I was hitting farther behind then ball than I thought, by no means am I satisfied with the compression I put on the golf ball. I still am thinking of purchasing this product mainly because of the measurables in tracking your progress in ball striking. The tee was simply a test for me.

was just asking if that was pretty much the same thing, I wanted to try and see if I was hitting farther behind then ball than I thought, by no means am I satisfied with the compression I put on the golf ball. I still am thinking of purchasing this product mainly because of the measurables in tracking your progress in ball striking. The tee was simply a test for me.

Exactly what I am thinking. The driving range rope helped me to realize how valuable a tool this could be in the long term.

I just ordered mine and if any of you guys decide to take the plunge, don't forget the discount code THP2011 which saves you some bucks. Thanks to Scott at Compression Board for allowing THP members this discount :thumb:

edit: Also a big thanks to mcook77 for the great videos and review of this product.

Glad to hear the feedback that everyone is enjoying the videos! 3 done so far and planning on a 4th tomorrow where I really HOPE to see some measurable improvement in ball striking. This product definitely helps as stated above in measuring yourself. Do I believe that placing a tee behind the ball 3-4 inches would help - absolutely, just not as visible to see exactly what you are doing. Pretty cool to start on 6 and work down through the progression.

One problem though....as I strike the ball better, my iron distance increases and now I have to translate that on the course. Oh well - guess better ball striking and distance is a GREAT problem to have :D

Glad to hear the feedback that everyone is enjoying the videos! 3 done so far and planning on a 4th tomorrow where I really HOPE to see some measurable improvement in ball striking. This product definitely helps as stated above in measuring yourself. Do I believe that placing a tee behind the ball 3-4 inches would help - absolutely, just not as visible to see exactly what you are doing. Pretty cool to start on 6 and work down through the progression.

One problem though....as I strike the ball better, my iron distance increases and now I have to translate that on the course. Oh well - guess better ball striking and distance is a GREAT problem to have :D

I am loving the videos and all of the reviews that have been going on in this thread. You guys are doing a great job.

MC you are right, that is a great problem to have. I know I can improve my ball striking so this may be right up my ally. I look forward to seeing your next video.

This has been a wonderful thread and I especially enjoyed the videos. All of the testers are doing a fantastic job with their reviews. I think I might bite the bullet and invest in one of these units.

It seems like a great idea, but it seems like there hasn't been an increase in distance so far with most testers

I am not one of the official testers but should have added something on this topic because I do have some info. It appears to me that you at least get the distance gain that you would expect from being on a proper trajectory. If I go back to my complacent winter time swing with 5I comment, I was hitting the ball solidly but I was not compressing the ball like I should and was losing some distance on that score alone. I will have to fool around with this more to have a more complete answer but at the very least expect a distance gain related to a better trajectory.

I just ordered mine and if any of you guys decide to take the plunge, don't forget the discount code THP2011 which saves you some bucks. Thanks to Scott at Compression Board for allowing THP members this discount :thumb:

edit: Also a big thanks to mcook77 for the great videos and review of this product.

OG, did you order online, for some reason it does not seem to want to take a credit card. And before someone says something about it being no good, I promise there is no balance on it.

OG, did you order online, for some reason it does not seem to want to take a credit card. And before someone says something about it being no good, I promise there is no balance on it.

Worked fine per OG.

I am in the same situation as the others to be honest. I would play about once or twice a year for the past 4 years and about 2 months ago I decided to start taking it serious again (in the case of others it seems to be a club change). My ball striking has improved but it is hard to say if that's from just practice or using the Compression board. I could go out anytime and shoot mid 90's and now I am anywhere from 84-87 but I am seeing improvement in all aspects of my game.

Obviously, the board is going to show you where you are hitting (when used on grass) and on turf you still get an idea because you may hit the board if you hit far enough behind the ball. The question is then do you want to go through some sort of swing change or do you just try to change ball position, etc. I would like to be a single digit handicap but I do not think I want to go through a swing overhaul.

So far my impressions are that the board itself is a good training aid but it could be a great training aid if it could really help to improve ball striking by incorporating simple changes that will have you attacking the ball at the optimal angle (if that is possible). I will admit that I can tell I am hitting behind the ball but I am not really sure what to try to fix that.

I rambled enough....hope that makes sense. Perhaps my expectations of the Compression Board are too high? Maybe it is just one piece of the puzzle and I need to look elsewhere for the other pieces?

I would say you are half right. In watching some of the videos I think you are trying to progress to fast. The board is a learning aid - it should help you understand concepts better and get proper feedback when you are training. As far as the swing changes go - if you are able to work your way slowly from level 4 back to level 1 your swing will have changed to some degree to allow you to make ball first contact and still miss the board when it's closer. I would say stay at level 3 until you are consistently missing the board with 80% of your shots and then move back to 2.5 and continue the process.

The pro level is difficult - it's based on an avg attack angles of Tour Pro's. Most scratch golfers I know hit it consistently from level 1.

Keep on learning, your videos are great and your swing looks good!

thanks,
Alf Callowhill
Co-Founder

I would say you are half right. In watching some of the videos I think you are trying to progress to fast. The board is a learning aid - it should help you understand concepts better and get proper feedback when you are training. As far as the swing changes go - if you are able to work your way slowly from level 4 back to level 1 your swing will have changed to some degree to allow you to make ball first contact and still miss the board when it's closer. I would say stay at level 3 until you are consistently missing the board with 80% of your shots and then move back to 2.5 and continue the process.

The pro level is difficult - it's based on an avg attack angles of Tour Pro's. Most scratch golfers I know hit it consistently from level 1.

Keep on learning, your videos are great and your swing looks good!

thanks,
Alf Callowhill
Co-Founder

Alf - great points and thanks for the feedback! I really was not trying to advance that fast but show what happens in varying scenarios as part of testing. Now that I think I have done a decent job of that, my next range session (tomorrow) will start from 6 and follow the 80% rule as I move back. Your post makes complete sense about it being a gradual swing change.

I just got caught up on this thread. Great work so far. The videos are really good. I'm going to have to go buy this immediately. I don't know if I'd take it out on the course but it will be coming with me to the range. I like the board better than the other board reviewed a wholes back.

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

No new video today...well actually I had the camera running but my swing was something awfully horrendous today. Everything was so out of whack and the only thing I could hit worth a darn was the driver.

I did have one of the PGA pro's at the range come over and ask about the board. Said that he has several similar training aids but nothing up to the level of this and asked where and how much to get one from. At least something good came out of the session today.....grrrr.

Keep on letting us know how you are doing Mc, we have all enjoyed your updates. I ordered one today, and as I guessed yesterday, it did take my Visa card, I just don't know why it would not accept the Discover.

Will do DD! I actually took some of the video from my session and put it up for Andy to review. Scary seeing your entire golf swing for the first time (previously I had just taped the compression board and impact zone)...sure is enlightening seeing the whole swing.

I'll have a video to post tomorrow. I'm going to take some video of myself and a high capper friend of mine. I'm trying not to be repetitive in my reviews, but this is really helping my pitching/chipping game. It really helps me remember to turn my body through on the shorter shots. People would be very surprised if they tried a Compression Board. Most have thought they would have no problem not hitting the board and I've yet to come across someone that hasn't hit it.

This thread got me motivated. I ordered a Compression Board yesterday & look forward to getting it.

Well....no new video or official review but I did play 36 today. Ball striking is really starting to improve and I am fairly happy with it (tremendously better than my range session yesterday). Now to just work on my putting....:angry: Also posted the below in the "What did you shoot today" thread:

Played 36 today.

Round 1: 90 w/36 putts
Round 2: 86 w/39 putts

Struck the ball well but horrendous day putting. So many near makes...missed several birdie putts within 12 feet. Missed a ton of 5-8 foot par putts.

KellyBo and I will receive this training aid soon. It will be fun as a couple to review and give our opinion.

Went to the range with this on Saturday. I did take some video with my phone, but they're pretty lame. They just show one person hit a few balls from 6 and one person hit a few from 1 and Pro. This continues to do what it's supposed to do. Very helpful for your short game. The board has been bashed quite a few times now and is still in good shape with no evidence of any sort of cracking or blemishes of that nature. Any questions or any certain thing you'd like to see me try with this just let me know.

Our compression board arrived today. KellyBo and I are both excited about getting on the range with it however Georgia will be covered with rain the next two days. One thing I can say about this company is, they ship FAST! I may get some time with it on Friday but not the weekend as I will be playing. I will post my thoughts asap.

Cool Ole Gray - looking forward to hearing your thoughts! As of now, I am planning a trip to the range (weather pending) tomorrow after work. Want to work some more with the board and on some swing tips from Andy and Dent.

Back