It's Official - Dick's Purchases Nickent

This kind of has me thinking about the brand Hogan and what happened to their quality and designs once Callaway bought them. Furyk won the US Open with the Apex Plus not TOO many years ago and off the top of my head, I can't think of a tour player with ONE Ben Hogan club in the bag.

I think what makes Nickent stand out for many is that they were designed by one of the greatest club makers ever. 845s, DCIs, TaylorMade RAC, the first hybrid, first milled grooves, etc. etc...all on his resume...and now it is just like the Tommy Armour brand in that nobody thinks of the newest versions of their irons as great quality. It would be like Bettinardi putters being purchased by Sports Authority and them throwing the name Bettinardi on a huge production run of whatever putter they put out for $49.

Perfect wording for my feelings on all of this. Sad day to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So now should we expect to see 14 club boxed sets of Nickent's for $399?

So now should we expect to see 14 club boxed sets of Nickent's for $399?

I think they will have boxed sets, but keep that for their other brands. There is too much money to be made by keeping the Nickent brand "high quality" for them.

I think what makes Nickent stand out for many is that they were designed by one of the greatest club makers ever. 845s, DCIs, TaylorMade RAC, the first hybrid, first milled grooves, etc. etc...all on his resume...and now it is just like the Tommy Armour brand in that nobody thinks of the newest versions of their irons as great quality. It would be like Bettinardi putters being purchased by Sports Authority and them throwing the name Bettinardi on a huge production run of whatever putter they put out for $49.

It almost makes me want to go out and buy a set of the 4dx pros, or to a lessor extent the CB's if I saw them for a reasonable price. Just to say I have a set of clubs designed by a true master of his trade.

I agree JB. It scares me who will be next, and if history in golf equipment has taught us anything, there will be a next

I was just thinking about the Ben Hogan line. Just goes to show that even if a fallen brand lands with another maker, there is no guarantee they will restore the brand to greatness.

JB, What would have been a better outcome for Nickent than this if they could not stand on their own?

I was just thinking about the Ben Hogan line. Just goes to show that even if a fallen brand lands with another maker, there is no guarantee they will restore the brand to greatness.

JB, What would have been a better outcome for Nickent than this if they could not stand on their own?

They were gone. Either let the brand die off with the memory of great gear (and still great gear out there) or bring back the brand to its fullest. They chose plan C which was buy the name and a few other articles but use it strictly for margins. Just like they did with MaxFli

Dick's is terrible. It's like trying to get help at Walmart.

Agreed. I have yet to ever see anyone in the hitting bays at our local Dick's, much less even seen the lights on in the room. If you ask about it, the salesman's first response to you is, "Are you just looking or will you ACTUALLY be purchasing something TODAY?" Emphasis is theirs on those 2 words.
I was in there just last Sat. with a $10 off coupon and walked out empty handed. Not even their sale prices were any good. Buy one Walter Hagen polo get one free!! Cost for one is $50..... No thanks. And that was the best deal in the place...

Not trying to bash the people bashing Dick's Sporting Goods, but I do work at a DSG in the golf department and we are a lot different than many other DSG's I have walked in to.

There are some DSGs I have walked in and an associate never says a word to me. Others are actually very good.

They were gone. Either let the brand die off with the memory of great gear (and still great gear out there) or bring back the brand to its fullest. They chose plan C which was buy the name and a few other articles but use it strictly for margins. Just like they did with MaxFli

I think I have to agree. I supported Callaway for many years, but I still shake my head over what has become of the Ben Hogan brand. I still think it is all a natural progression. Not all that long ago we had never heard of Dick's Sporting Goods, Walmart, TaylorMade and the list goes on and on. In another twenty years it could be TaylorMade slipping out of sight and Walmart could be a name we have forgotten about.

The Dick's 3 miles from my house is great. The PGA Professional is just that, a professional and his staff is willing to help.

I own a couple of Nickent ARC wedges and really like them. I always wanted to try their hybrids too - this thread is getting me interested in searching eBay for a 'find'...

they said they were completely overhauling the staff so we might be dissipointed

they said they were completely overhauling the staff so we might be dissipointed

I'm already there. I'd honestly rather the brand name just died than this happen. May sound harsh but it's true. NOTHING they do, save for Hoefy returning (not happening, period), can change that. From innovative and flat out good to store brand. Boo.

I'm already there. I'd honestly rather the brand name just died than this happen. May sound harsh but it's true. NOTHING they do, save for Hoefy returning (not happening, period), can change that. From innovative and flat out good to store brand. Boo.

Amen, let it go out in dignity. Instead, people will remember it as a company filled with cheap components, bad QC, lackluster performance, and no "cool" factor.

Don´t know much about dick´s and how they treat their housebrands, but it sounds really sad...

I´m really glad I had the fortune to discover Nickent, much thanks to THP. I´ll be on the lookout for some ARC wedges on E-bay, cause I love the rest of my Nickent clubs.

Sad day indeed.

So if the Nickent name is dropped, who's gonna be the first to carry a bag of Dick's ?

Better for Dicks to buy Nickent than Titleist. lol:D

Nickent in New Zealand

Nickent in New Zealand

My local pro shop has just received its first shipment of the new Nickent clubs, so I went and had a look. The 5dx hybrids no longer have the innovative wings, so looks like they are just a cheap option. I took a 5dx driver out for a bash on the range, and to be honest I hit further and straighter than I ever have with my own set, so they could be ok. Just not sure about them being different already.

Interesting news. I always liked Nickent's clubs - I still have a 4DX Evolver with a whole array of shafts in my backup bag that still sneaks onto the course every once in a while.

I still game my LH 4dx with 3-4 shaft combos as well.... looking to try a super lite shaft in it as an experiment....

so...who would be "designing" the new clubs??

Back