2011 Cobra S3 Driver Review

Interesting write up WMac. It's fun to have the option of switching out shafts in different heads. When the right combo is found, it's like hitting the jackpot.

Have a great golf outing!

You said it, 'Gray. Half the fun for me is trying the new stuff out. But it's all for nothing if you don't ultimately find something that works. And like you said, when you do... jackpot.

Thanks, bud. I'm looking forward to the trip. Great guys and we're all within a stroke or two of each other HC-wise... gonna be fun.

If you want a 10.5 S3 back up to your back up, you can have mine realll cheap! Lol otherwiae ill be putting on fleabay today haha

Lets save sales for the marketplace please.

so has anyone liked the stock shaft? it sounds like most people don't like it. why would cobra use this shaft?

The truth is, that the stock shaft is not a high end shaft similar to what is found in a few other drivers this year. But in the end, the average golfer should not be worrying about torque or anything else of the sort. They should be worried about repeatable swing and forgiveness. Shaft word of mouth catches fire around the internet and the next thing you know a product has the "worst shaft ever" like this one and the Blur in the R11.

Sorry! But yeah I never evn hit my s3 with the stock blur, I heard soo many bad things that I just immediatly had it reshafted, foolish I know, I should of atleast tried it stock first

There's nothing wrong with the Blur in the Cobra. Like all other shafts, if it works for you then there's no reason to complain. People look at the torque rating and are immediately put off but that's just one of a number of factors one should be looking at. Flex point, ball heigh, spin level, tip stiffness, etc are just as if not more important. Heck, Thainer was smashing balls with this club and the guy swings at 110+. I know I've been guilty of turning up my nose at the Blur in the Cobra and R11 but that's because it doesn't fit me at all not because it doesn't work.

I've hit most of the big name drivers out there this year and I just keep coming back to this S3. Once I find the right shaft for this thing it'll be glorious.

the more I hit it the more I didn't mind it. my SS is 95-100 and only on extreme toe shots did I feel the shaft working against me (twisting, etc) I think this is a good driver/shaft/combo that shouldn't be missed in one's driver search. the flex I have is a S and thought it wasn't too stiff at all, just right. Not blowign anyone away and it may be lacking behind other shaft offerigns in other drivers but still a good option
There's nothing wrong with the Blur in the Cobra. Like all other shafts, if it works for you then there's no reason to complain. People look at the torque rating and are immediately put off but that's just one of a number of factors one should be looking at. Flex point, ball heigh, spin level, tip stiffness, etc are just as if not more important. Heck, Thainer was smashing balls with this club and the guy swings at 110+. I know I've been guilty of turning up my nose at the Blur in the Cobra and R11 but that's because it doesn't fit me at all not because it doesn't work.

I've hit most of the big name drivers out there this year and I just keep coming back to this S3. Once I find the right shaft for this thing it'll be glorious.

the more I hit it the more I didn't mind it. my SS is 95-100 and only on extreme toe shots did I feel the shaft working against me (twisting, etc) I think this is a good driver/shaft/combo that shouldn't be missed in one's driver search. the flex I have is a S and thought it wasn't too stiff at all, just right. Not blowign anyone away and it may be lacking behind other shaft offerigns in other drivers but still a good option

That should not have a whole lot to do with Torque in my opinion.

I am still fairly shocked that so many bury this club and are lining up to purchase R11s. Marketing anyone? Now dont get me wrong, I am not comparing the clubs, but it shows just how big marketing is.

I am still fairly shocked that so many bury this club and are lining up to purchase R11s. Marketing anyone? Now dont get me wrong, I am not comparing the clubs, but it shows just how big marketing is.

Isn't that the way it always is though?
My friends who are "golfers" asked if Cobra was a walmart brand when I first showed up with my clubs last year.

Yeah I think it's 90% marketing in my opinion, well actually I take that back, if people haven't hit either and are rushing out to buy a R11 and not even considering the S3 it's 100% marketing. Are there any S3's in play on Tour? That might be another thing there too, people are seeing R11s when they turn on golf so that adds to it. People are missing out if they're sleeping on Cobra though, the driver I've hit the best in the last 4 years or so was a Cobra S9-1.

you're probably right and I'm not doing a good job of explainign what I felt /feel....sorry

agreed on the marketing hook.....

Yeah I think it's 90% marketing in my opinion, well actually I take that back, if people haven't hit either and are rushing out to buy a R11 and not even considering the S3 it's 100% marketing. Are there any S3's in play on Tour? That might be another thing there too, people are seeing R11s when they turn on golf so that adds to it. People are missing out if they're sleeping on Cobra though, the driver I've hit the best in the last 4 years or so was a Cobra S9-1.

I think it's the marketing, I played the Cobra HS9 driver 3 & 7 woods from fall 2006 until I switched last year.

See, I'm going the opposite way. Every time I hit it, I know I want a different shaft. The tip stiffness has too much flex to help the ball up. I do want a higher launch for more carry but I still need a stiff tip. Even the Cobra rep at the demo day wanted to switch it out for me (an annoyingly unique swing was his phrase I believe to be nice about my faults). He's coming back next Friday with a full cart of heads, shafts and a launch monitor to try and dial it in which I'm really looking forward to.

I have to say, I really like what Puma is doing with Cobra so far. The rep last year was more stodgy then iron cut oats but the guy this year is enthusiatic and very knowledgable.

i am going to a demo day in Knoxville Saturday afternoon. This is one of the drivers that is high on my list. My bad back has kept me from trying it this week, but I think I have worked out the kinks and will be good to go. My misses are mostly on the toe so I have a feeling this could work well for me. The success I have had with the S3 max irons has me thinking Cobra more often now.

i am going to a demo day in Knoxville Saturday afternoon. This is one of the drivers that is high on my list. My bad back has kept me from trying it this week, but I think I have worked out the kinks and will be good to go. My misses are mostly on the toe so I have a feeling this could work well for me. The success I have had with the S3 max irons has me thinking Cobra more often now.

you will like it.. i was trying to sell mine.. but i am keeping it as a back up because its that good.. and i never had a back up!

Took a few shots with the Cobra S3 yesterday and i must say i didnt like it at all. It felt wierd and i didn't like the sound of it either. It felt kind of dull.. Simply not for me.

Excellent review!

Im still quite enjoying my time with mine as the S3 and C.Kua combo had been a great fit for me personally.

Great review, as per usual!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the review, Hanks. This is one driver I really want to try out this year as it appears to be catered to golfers like me. You mentioned that it wasn't the longest driver out there. What drivers have been longer for you and what has been the difference in yardage?

Thorough review, packed full of some good information. Well done Hanks!

I am also a bit curious about the sound, as russ above me askes. I think Cobra makes a fine product and it's nice to see them implement some techonological advancements of their own into a golf club.

Hanks with the review! Nice one buddy. I like how you touched on the shaft and why it didn't work for you. After a few times the Blur started to do well for me but it's definitely one you have to get used too. Good stuff my friend!

Thanks Jman....sounds liek that's a nice combo for you!
Excellent review!

Im still quite enjoying my time with mine as the S3 and C.Kua combo had been a great fit for me personally.

Great review, as per usual!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks dude! I agree with your comments on the home page about minimal adjustability and if it's worth having on the club. I look at that in 2 ways.....Cobra put out an offering to say they had an adjustable driver but yet with other adjustable drivers out there did it make sense to not take that step further? If you're going to do it, do it all the way and not make an attempt just for the sake of it. On the other hand I think it offers just enough adjustability for those who don't want 300 different settings, etc. this could be a real nice stick for you Hawk. But to your original question, I would say my average distance with the S3 was around 230 or so? I've found the PING K15 (stock) to be a good 5-10 yards longer, The Nike Machspeed Black was a little slightly longer but the S3 felt better and based on some range sessions I've had the Taylormade R11 also appears to be longer by the same margin
Thanks for the review, Hanks. This is one driver I really want to try out this year as it appears to be catered to golfers like me. You mentioned that it wasn't the longest driver out there. What drivers have been longer for you and what has been the difference in yardage?

Thanks buddy! At first I found the sound to be a bit odd but it quickly grew on me. I can't relate to some of the loudness associated with older Cobra drivers but I didn't find the sound to be a turn off at all with the S3. Muted? Yes but there was still a nice crack to it when you got it dead center.
Thorough review, packed full of some good information. Well done Hanks!

I am also a bit curious about the sound, as russ above me askes. I think Cobra makes a fine product and it's nice to see them implement some techonological advancements of their own into a golf club.

As always a great review Hanks! I had the chance to see you hit this club on the range and course and I think you're review is spot on. The different shape of the face and sweet spot have me interested because of where my miss if usually on the driver face. I'm interested in testing this at the outing. I think paired with a properly fit shaft this could be a winner.

Thanks Yoccos! I think the shaft is ok and makes a nice pairing but I wonder if it's truly the best option for my game. It may be better suited for people who have a slower SS than mine (95-100) but overall it's solid. It defintiely works but not 'works the best' for me if that makes sense. I agree with you in that the Blur does take a little getting used to and that may keep some people from trying the S3 out which would be a misssssstake on their part.
Hanks with the review! Nice one buddy. I like how you touched on the shaft and why it didn't work for you. After a few times the Blur started to do well for me but it's definitely one you have to get used too. Good stuff my friend!

Back