2011 Cobra S3 Driver Review

It did give ball speed but I don't recall what it was. G4L probably knows because he was all about everyone's numbers, etc of the tee. I can't even hazard a guess.

The club face almost seems to have the ball linger on it rather than hit it and get it off the face fast like some other drivers I've hit. The feel and sound, for me and my thoughts, don't lend itself to a hot sounding/feeling driver. Not a lot of audio feedback at all. Then you see the results (distance, accuracy) and you almost wonder 'where did that come from?' The performance/results are definitely hot but going about getting those results doesn't seem to be if that makes sense.
You mention that the club face is not overly hot. Can you elaborate on that a little bit? Is it the feel and sound that are not overly hot, or the performance? On the simulator, I am not sure if they gave you ball speed, but if they did, do you know how close it was to 150?

It did give ball speed but I don't recall what it was. G4L probably knows because he was all about everyone's numbers, etc of the tee. I can't even hazard a guess.

The club face almost seems to have the ball linger on it rather than hit it and get it off the face fast like some other drivers I've hit. The feel and sound, for me and my thoughts, don't lend itself to a hot sounding/feeling driver. Not a lot of audio feedback at all. Then you see the results (distance, accuracy) and you almost wonder 'where did that come from?' The performance/results are definitely hot but going about getting those results doesn't seem to be if that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for explaining.

Hanks, is the snake a contender for your driver slot this year?

I see it looks similar, can anyone confirm if the shaft sleeve adapter is the same/compatible with the S2? I have an S2 with a Diamana Blueboard 73. If the shafts are interchangeable, I'm all in.

I really like the stated technology behind the expanded, elliptical sweet-spot. I fall right into their target as my usual miss is a bit high out toward the toe and occassionally a bit low toward the heel. I like the S2 but the traits of the S3 have me intrigued.

I think the eliptical sweet spot your speaking of is whats making the face look different to some of the posters.

If I recall correctly, your ballspeed was hovering between 145-150 with the s3... very respectable.

I swung it a few times. Wasn't a huge fan of the shaft. Seemed pretty twisty to me, but liked the pop of the club head.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Hanks, is the snake a contender for your driver slot this year?

After a solid showing yesterday it has to be in the discussion now I think. I'm going to the outdoor range today to get some CB work in but this will get some swings as well

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

Hit the S3 in an open air situation and the results weren't as nice as they were yesterday. I blocked and leaked a lot of shots to the right but all of the shots were solid off the center of the club face. I've developed a bad habit of leaving the club face open when I'm not in tempo. However I think even those shots would've been playable on most fairways here as the misses didn't appear to be god awful slices. Playable misses? When I was in tempo the club still performed well. Good mid-high to high ball flight with narrow shot dispersion. The Cobra S3 has my attention....

Good stuff Hanks!

My pull hook has returned lately, to no fault of the S3, just my mechanics going to crap again with the big stick. When I stay in tempo though with the C.Kua....sneaky crazy long.

You mention that the club face is not overly hot. Can you elaborate on that a little bit? Is it the feel and sound that are not overly hot, or the performance? On the simulator, I am not sure if they gave you ball speed, but if they did, do you know how close it was to 150?

I obviously can't speak for Hanks but I can give my impressions/numbers. I've also previously stated that the club didn't feel particularly hot nor satisfying at impact. Basically, missing that "I crushed it" feel. Well, after playing a few rounds with it recently, all it took was an adjustment in tee-height to remedy all of that. Tee'd just a bit higher, not only does the club seem more explosive, but the feel at impact is now quite good. Two of those rounds were at a place you're probably familiar with, Royal Links at St. Cloud.

My ball-speed with the S3 as per TrackMan is in the 158-162 range. Launch (now that I'm teeing higher) is in the 11*-14* range and spin is typically 2200 to 2500.

On the course, I enjoyed some fantastic distance with this club. Accuracy was excellent despite my not swinging particularly well just yet. I've never owned a driver so responsive (and predictable) to tee height. Into the wind, I just tee it a bit lower and put the same swing on it in order to hit low lasers.

Overall, I'm very, very impressed.

I'm looking forward to trying this out in May.

Interesting thoughts WMAc....next time I take this out I'm going to tee it a little higher to see if I can get some better feedback on the face. I may not be teeing it high enough to take advantage of the higher club face
I obviously can't speak for Hanks but I can give my impressions/numbers. I've also previously stated that the club didn't feel particularly hot nor satisfying at impact. Basically, missing that "I crushed it" feel. Well, after playing a few rounds with it recently, all it took was an adjustment in tee-height to remedy all of that. Tee'd just a bit higher, not only does the club seem more explosive, but the feel at impact is now quite good. Two of those rounds were at a place you're probably familiar with, Royal Links at St. Cloud.

My ball-speed with the S3 as per TrackMan is in the 158-162 range. Launch (now that I'm teeing higher) is in the 11*-14* range and spin is typically 2200 to 2500.

On the course, I enjoyed some fantastic distance with this club. Accuracy was excellent despite my not swinging particularly well just yet. I've never owned a driver so responsive (and predictable) to tee height. Into the wind, I just tee it a bit lower and put the same swing on it in order to hit low lasers.

Overall, I'm very, very impressed.

I had a Cobra S9-1 for a long time and the sound you're describing must be a Cobra thing. At first with the S9-1 I hated the muted sound but actually grew to love it as I got more used to the driver and started really banging some out there with it. My dad also has a Cobra LD M Speed or something like that and it also has that same Cobra muted sound. Different than a lot of them out there but really not bad once you're used to hearing it and knowing the sounds of solid contact vs. not so solid.

Exactly what's been happening with me...the more I get used to the sound I like it and the results too
I had a Cobra S9-1 for a long time and the sound you're describing must be a Cobra thing. At first with the S9-1 I hated the muted sound but actually grew to love it as I got more used to the driver and started really banging some out there with it. My dad also has a Cobra LD M Speed or something like that and it also has that same Cobra muted sound. Different than a lot of them out there but really not bad once you're used to hearing it and knowing the sounds of solid contact vs. not so solid.

Exactly what's been happening with me...the more I get used to the sound I like it and the results too

You hit some really solid virtual drives with this one dude.

The sound of TC's money jingling in your pocket, sounds pretty cool huh? :D

That money is for him to buy me a granola bar, not for me to take. I can't even pretend to be good enough to take TC's money on the course unless I Nancy Kerrigan him with a 4 iron and pick his pocket while he's on the ground.
The sound of TC's money jingling in your pocket, sounds pretty cool huh? :D

Hit the S3 in an open air situation and the results weren't as nice as they were yesterday. I blocked and leaked a lot of shots to the right but all of the shots were solid off the center of the club face. I've developed a bad habit of leaving the club face open when I'm not in tempo. However I think even those shots would've been playable on most fairways here as the misses didn't appear to be god awful slices. Playable misses? When I was in tempo the club still performed well. Good mid-high to high ball flight with narrow shot dispersion. The Cobra S3 has my attention....

If you don't mind me asking, what is your swing speed with this club compared to your "usual" club?

typically I'm in the 95-100 range but on Saturday when I was swinging the S3 really well I was consistently at 102-103
If you don't mind me asking, what is your swing speed with this club compared to your "usual" club?

the more I look at this driver the more I think I will like it. If the sweet spot works the way it says it does, then this could be the driver for me. My miss on the driver face is usually high towards the toe area.

the more I look at this driver the more I think I will like it. If the sweet spot works the way it says it does, then this could be the driver for me. My miss on the driver face is usually high towards the toe area.

That's my usual miss also and the very reason for my grabbing this club. Shots toward the toe are very nearly completely forgiven. I still get great distance and accuracy with shots toward the toe. But bear in mind, that's with my current shaft (Diamana Blueboard 73), with the stock shaft, I could very noticeably feel the shaft twist on toe-contact. No doubt due to that shaft's high torque of 5.5.

that being said.....I'm seeing some twisting on shots out on the toe with the stock shaft on toe hits and while the distance and accuracy is still good, it's not great. I think there are other drivers out there that forgive mistakes better but this is still a good one
That's my usual miss also and the very reason for my grabbing this club. Shots toward the toe are very nearly completely forgiven. I still get great distance and accuracy with shots toward the toe. But bear in mind, that's with my current shaft (Diamana Blueboard 73), with the stock shaft, I could very noticeably feel the shaft twist on toe-contact. No doubt due to that shaft's high torque of 5.5.

that being said.....I'm seeing some twisting on shots out on the toe with the stock shaft on toe hits and while the distance and accuracy is still good, it's not great. I think there are other drivers out there that forgive mistakes better but this is still a good one

Im not really sure that has anything to do with torque. That could be anything from grip pressure to tip stiffness in reality.

you're probably right. I'm just saying that I see some twisting as well. Not sure what the reason for it is but I was just commenting on the fact I'm seeing some twisting too, although not often
Im not really sure that has anything to do with torque. That could be anything from grip pressure to tip stiffness in reality.

Well, I finally had the shaft-sleeve adapter installed on a Matrix Ozik Code-6 shaft. As advertised, the shaft truly helps with the launch as it's noticeably higher. Only, I noticed that my usual straight to draw with the Diamana BB was a fade with the Matrix in the same head with the same setting. A quick check of club-length proved that the builder had forgotton to trim the shaft to the instructed 45". It was a pull from another driver, they were busy, must've forgot. Anyway, they rectified the situation for me for just the price of the new grip so no complaints.

I won't get to hit the shorter version of the same shaft until tomorrow. But even at 46" (a length that's been proven time and time again to simply not fit my swing), the shaft felt great and impact was solid and very nice indeed.

If any of you remember, the psycho that I am, I also bought a 10.5* S3. Well, I hit that extensively with the Diamana Blueboard and couldn't have been happier with the results. Launch is a bit higher with much better carry. Also, although the neutral setting appears perfectly square, I had to set it to open in order to get the desired ball-flight. Although only a 1* difference in the heads' loft, the 10.5* had noticeably less side-spin on not-so-good swings.

I'm thinking the BB is perfect for the 10.5* head and have a sneaky suspicion that the Matrix will prove perfect for the 9.5*.

I'm leaving Saturday for a week-long golf trip to Myrtle Beach with the guys so it looks like both drivers and both shafts will be making the trip with me. :smile:

I also have a Graphite Design PM702 stiff shaft laying around here. Although stout, it's always been a favorite of mine. When I get back, I may have a shaft-adapter sleeve slapped into it. I think it could be a killer combo with the 10.5* head!

I know.... I have problems. :wink:

Well, I finally had the shaft-sleeve adapter installed on a Matrix Ozik Code-6 shaft. As advertised, the shaft truly helps with the launch as it's noticeably higher. Only, I noticed that my usual straight to draw with the Diamana BB was a fade with the Matrix in the same head with the same setting. A quick check of club-length proved that the builder had forgotton to trim the shaft to the instructed 45". It was a pull from another driver, they were busy, must've forgot. Anyway, they rectified the situation for me for just the price of the new grip so no complaints.

I won't get to hit the shorter version of the same shaft until tomorrow. But even at 46" (a length that's been proven time and time again to simply not fit my swing), the shaft felt great and impact was solid and very nice indeed.

If any of you remember, the psycho that I am, I also bought a 10.5* S3. Well, I hit that extensively with the Diamana Blueboard and couldn't have been happier with the results. Launch is a bit higher with much better carry. Also, although the neutral setting appears perfectly square, I had to set it to open in order to get the desired ball-flight. Although only a 1* difference in the heads' loft, the 10.5* had noticeably less side-spin on not-so-good swings.

I'm thinking the BB is perfect for the 10.5* head and have a sneaky suspicion that the Matrix will prove perfect for the 9.5*.

I'm leaving Saturday for a week-long golf trip to Myrtle Beach with the guys so it looks like both drivers and both shafts will be making the trip with me. :smile:

I also have a Graphite Design PM702 stiff shaft laying around here. Although stout, it's always been a favorite of mine. When I get back, I may have a shaft-adapter sleeve slapped into it. I think it could be a killer combo with the 10.5* head!

I know.... I have problems. :wink:

Interesting write up WMac. It's fun to have the option of switching out shafts in different heads. When the right combo is found, it's like hitting the jackpot.

Have a great golf outing!

Back