TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

Are you not serious enough for this driver? Maybe your shaft is not serious enough

I dont think Im anywhere close to serious enough for this driver but I think the shaft is. Its the Fubuki Alpha and it seems very serious.

I think the Alpha is a little too serious for me. Can't wait for Demo Day so I can hit some other shafts.

I have really enjoyed the R11 threads around the Internet as they have all been interesting reads. There are few middle of the road, milk toast comments about the R11. People seem to either hate it or love it. I have been reluctant to do anything with the club as I have pretty much settled on the Adams 9064 as my driver for this year and unless the early spring season proves me wrong i don't think I will be looking for a change.

I did read a portion of a rather combative thread on another site between two guys bantering about the 910D3 and the R11. Ultimately the guy favoring the R11 commented that he did not see how "anybody" could do better than an R11. That is the one type of club related comment that I don't understand cause it suggests that there can be one club that is universally better for everybody and I just don't think that is possible.

For one thing so much about golf is about confidence and who is to say what driver is going to instill confidence in a particular player and why. No club maker has a pat answer for that between the ears stuff.

I have really enjoyed the R11 threads around the Internet as they have all been interesting reads. There are few middle of the road, milk toast comments about the R11. People seem to either hate it or love it. I have been reluctant to do anything with the club as I have pretty much settled on the Adams 9064 as my driver for this year and unless the early spring season proves me wrong i don't think I will be looking for a change.

I did read a portion of a rather combative thread on another site between two guys bantering about the 910D3 and the R11. Ultimately the guy favoring the R11 commented that he did not see how "anybody" could do better than an R11. That is the one type of club related comment that I don't understand cause it suggests that there can be one club that is universally better for everybody and I just don't think that is possible.

For one thing so much about golf is about confidence and who is to say what driver is going to instill confidence in a particular player and why. No club maker has a pat answer for that between the ears stuff.

This is an excellent post jnug and I agree with you 100%. The R11 doesnt seem to be the club for me but I know its working very well for a few others. Hell, TM itself will probably do something better then the R11 in a matter of months. We know this.

Jnug I really think for me it comes down to how the club looks at address. Once a driver clicks for me at address, I get a ton of confidence with it. I agree about the guys who go crazy over certain clubs. It seems like sometimes people treat their clubs like a member of the family. If you diss my clubs you are dissing me sort of. Seems crazy to me. Heck I like when I'm playing clubs no one else likes.

So I made it to the course today for an early morning round. It's my second round with the R11 and I'm loving it more and more. I did have two slices during my round, but most of that is me working on my swing. I have the FCT set to lower loft and the ball flight is amazingly penetrating. I popped up one ball and it still managed to travel straight with a good distance. I'm still getting used to the black face at alignment and the sound.

So I made it to the course today for an early morning round. It's my second round with the R11 and I'm loving it more and more. I did have two slices during my round, but most of that is me working on my swing. I have the FCT set to lower loft and the ball flight is amazingly penetrating. I popped up one ball and it still managed to travel straight with a good distance. I'm still getting used to the black face at alignment and the sound.

Good deal, i was gonna get out and play today but the wind is blowing 40mph for the second day in a row, cant play in that crap

It was pretty windy as well but my drives cut through the wind. I played the TM Penta TP and it sliced through the wind. At a few points in the round I tried to compensate for the wind and didn't even need to because the ball wasn't affected by it at all.

It was pretty windy as well but my drives cut through the wind. I played the TM Penta TP and it sliced through the wind. At a few points in the round I tried to compensate for the wind and didn't even need to because the ball wasn't affected by it at all.

Ya i have some Penta's left from last year and it does get through the wind great, very good ball. the wind really has no block at my course so its just brutal when its blowing this hard

Ya i have some Penta's left from last year and it does get through the wind great, very good ball. the wind really has no block at my course so its just brutal when its blowing this hard

I hear ya. I live in a valley and the wind just sweeps in over the course. BTW....my Fubuki shaft is an R9 shaft.

I hear ya. I live in a valley and the wind just sweeps in over the course. BTW....my Fubuki shaft is an R9 shaft.

i figured it was once you said it didnt have R11 graphics, The R9 Fubuki is the Fubuki Tour, great shaft.

Today I played five shots with my R11 7 - wood with the settings at ASP neutral and my FCT to low. I had two bad shots with this setting. One was a lie with my feet well below the ball and I really pulled/hooked it hard left. The other problem I had was on number 18 which is a downhill par five. I am not sure if it was the low FCT setting or my swing but I hit a low topped shot. One other thing I found out, is it does not like to be covered with a Mashie 20.5 head cover. It split the back of it as the head size is larger than the Mashie. Taylormade clubs do not like to be covered with foreign head covers to match your bag. :eek:(...... I have to say this. The R11 7-Wood is a great club. It is one that I highly recommend to anyone looking for easy to hit 22 degree club. It is very solid and it comes with better than average distance. I have no doubt that seniors or anyone else, who is looking for a high lofted club with plenty of distance, needs to put this on their list.

Last edited:
Today I played five shots with my R11 7 - wood with the settings at ASP neutral and my FCT to low. I had two bad shots with this setting. One was a lie with my feet well below the ball and I really pulled/hooked it hard left. The other problem I had was on number 18 which is a downhill par five. I am not sure if it was the low FCT setting or my swing but I hit a low topped shot. One other thing I found out, is it does not like to be covered with a Mashie 20.5 head cover. It split the back of it as the head size is larger than the Mashie. Taylormade clubs do not like to be covered with foreign head covers to match your bag. :eek:(...... I have to say this. The R11 7-Wood is a great club. It is one that I highly recommend to anyone looking for easy to hit 22 degree club. It is very solid and it comes with better than average distance. I have no doubt that seniors or anyone else, who is looking for a high lofted club with plenty of distance, needs to put this on their list.

Nice job gray, im dissapointed that i didnt get out to play today due to the 40+mph winds, im sure i will get to play during the week though. Also kinda dissapointed you put a mashie headcover on it lol, jk nothing wrong with wanting your bag to match. Im really considering a 4wood once the funds become available. Heck i might even give the 7wood a swing even though i would have no use for it where i play. keep up the good reviews

Nice job gray, im dissapointed that i didnt get out to play today due to the 40+mph winds, im sure i will get to play during the week though. Also kinda dissapointed you put a mashie headcover on it lol, jk nothing wrong with wanting your bag to match. Im really considering a 4wood once the funds become available. Heck i might even give the 7wood a swing even though i would have no use for it where i play. keep up the good reviews

I thought about it being a huge betrayal but the club still looks TaylorMade sharp out of the cover. No one had a problem recognizing the club with the cover off :D. I am just a person who likes the entire bag to have a certain look :eek:(......

I thought about it being a huge betrayal but the club still looks TaylorMade sharp out of the cover. No one had a problem recognizing the club with the cover off :D. I am just a person who likes the entire bag to have a certain look :eek:(......

haha its all good, a matching bag always looks really good.

The R11 got mad I guess and ripped your mashie headcover. The rest of the Cleveland clubs must have been angry too. I have a 22 degree hybrid that I love and the ball flight with it is great, but I'm looking for some extra power. Would I get the same trajectory with the FW compared to my hybrid?

Had a great day with my R11 driver and 3 wood today. I have never had a driver or fairway that I had this much confidence in. I just always know where it is going and never have any surprises. It seems like it is just point and shoot ... I'm in love. I hit all my fairways but 2 and in reality it was only one missed fairway cause I drove the green on a 318 yrd par 4!!! Oh yeah forgot to mention it was in the air!!!!! Had a little tail wind ... teed it up high and let it go, landed 3 yrds on the front and rolled to the centre leaving me 15 ft for eagle!!!!! Yeah yeah missed the eagle but still got the birdie!!! I could not imagine a better driver for me and my swing. I gotta say I love the Fubuki Alpha 70 shafts as well.... such a consistent ball flight. Get fitted for this bad bay you wont regret it!!! At first I thought the stock Blur shafts were fine for me but after getting a real fitting it proved otherwise!!!

Cheers!!!

Had a great day with my R11 driver and 3 wood today. I have never had a driver or fairway that I had this much confidence in. I just always know where it is going and never have any surprises. It seems like it is just point and shoot ... I'm in love. I hit all my fairways but 2 and in reality it was only one missed fairway cause I drove the green on a 318 yrd par 4!!! Oh yeah forgot to mention it was in the air!!!!! Had a little tail wind ... teed it up high and let it go, landed 3 yrds on the front and rolled to the centre leaving me 15 ft for eagle!!!!! Yeah yeah missed the eagle but still got the birdie!!! I could not imagine a better driver for me and my swing. I gotta say I love the Fubuki Alpha 70 shafts as well.... such a consistent ball flight. Get fitted for this bad bay you wont regret it!!! At first I thought the stock Blur shafts were fine for me but after getting a real fitting it proved otherwise!!!

Cheers!!!

Wow man 318 in air is absolutly HUGE! I would be happy with 270 in the air consistently lol, glad its working so well, this driver has worked for allot people including me.

Wow man 318 in air is absolutly HUGE! I would be happy with 270 in the air consistently lol, glad its working so well, this driver has worked for allot people including me.

Haha I wish 318 in the air but 308 in the air isn't bad!!! I usually average around 285 carry but the wind helped me a bit on this one. I landed front side of the green and it rolled the rest of the way. I have never reached this green in one EVER!!! with my R9. It feels so good to have the confidence to just go after the ball with this driver. I shoulda got fitted for a driver years ago it was the best money I have EVER spent on golf!!!

Haha I wish 318 in the air but 308 in the air isn't bad!!! I usually average around 285 carry but the wind helped me a bit on this one. I landed front side of the green and it rolled the rest of the way. I have never reached this green in one EVER!!! with my R9. It feels so good to have the confidence to just go after the ball with this driver. I shoulda got fitted for a driver years ago it was the best money I have EVER spent on golf!!!

308 or 318 thats still huge lol.

The R11 got mad I guess and ripped your mashie headcover. The rest of the Cleveland clubs must have been angry too. I have a 22 degree hybrid that I love and the ball flight with it is great, but I'm looking for some extra power. Would I get the same trajectory with the FW compared to my hybrid?

I would certainly think so as you have the FCT setting to optimize your ball flight. I would suggest hitting one at your nearest golf store to compare.

Got my first round in with my new R11 with Ahina 60X shaft. Man this driver is awesome. I only missed two fairways all day and one was just a few yards in the right rough (the other was a bad swing toward the end of the round when I got tired). I have struggled to hit fades for years and I was hitting them on demand today. Such a good feeling. I also had no problems hitting draws which is my normal flight. I agree with the above poster regarding how confident you feel standing over this driver. Love the sound, feel, etc.

One local course is opening tomorrow which means i get to take the R11 out for its first round!

Well, I've come to a conclusion with regards to the r11 4 wood, it's broken. I can't hook it or push it - it only flies straight. I used it for 30 shots on the range and I hit 5-7 poor shots. And by poor I mean low scuds that would have rolled further than tin cup hits his 7 iron. The sound is still so sweet to hear, and the feel at impact is second to none. I had the settings at neutral and standard, and it seems to give me my best results.

The weather is finally breaking so I'm hoping to get it out on the grass again within the next week. I'll say this, if you like the r11 driver I guarantee you'll love this more - it's an epic club.

Tap before talk.

This is an excellent post jnug and I agree with you 100%. The R11 doesnt seem to be the club for me but I know its working very well for a few others. Hell, TM itself will probably do something better then the R11 in a matter of months. We know this.

You can send it my way, and I'll review it a bit! Haha.

Tap before talk.

Back