TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

Well, I've come to a conclusion with regards to the r11 4 wood, it's broken. I can't hook it or push it - it only flies straight. I used it for 30 shots on the range and I hit 5-7 poor shots. And by poor I mean low scuds that would have rolled further than tin cup hits his 7 iron. The sound is still so sweet to hear, and the feel at impact is second to none. I had the settings at neutral and standard, and it seems to give me my best results.

The weather is finally breaking so I'm hoping to get it out on the grass again within the next week. I'll say this, if you like the r11 driver I guarantee you'll love this more - it's an epic club.

Tap before talk.

Should probably send it back WM. :D

I can't stop saying how much I love this driver. Got it on 10 degrees, ASP open and weight on the heel. Might be getting a bit too much spin out of it right now as it flies pretty high, but I hit it so straight. I carry it around 255 now and that's enough for me. It's still pretty good considering it's cold and wet outside. I'll fiddle a bit more with the settings once my coach gets his new TrackMan. I think 9 degrees and open would be the best for me now, but this damn fog keeps me from hitting the range, you can't see more than 100 yards...

Love em got them all!

Love em got them all!

Just picked up The Taylormade R11 Driver, 3 wood and the rescue iron. The look is incredible! Cant wait to get on the launch monitor and get them dialed in!

Well, I've come to a conclusion with regards to the r11 4 wood, it's broken. I can't hook it or push it - it only flies straight. I used it for 30 shots on the range and I hit 5-7 poor shots. And by poor I mean low scuds that would have rolled further than tin cup hits his 7 iron. The sound is still so sweet to hear, and the feel at impact is second to none. I had the settings at neutral and standard, and it seems to give me my best results.

The weather is finally breaking so I'm hoping to get it out on the grass again within the next week. I'll say this, if you like the r11 driver I guarantee you'll love this more - it's an epic club.

Tap before talk.

Great Post. In fact, I don't think I can say it any better.

I hit my 3-wood for the first time at the driving range Saturday night. It pretty much went two directions... straight and long. Had a guy sitting down a few bays over say "3 Wood? Nice Lick."

In all fairness, my 3 wood before the R11 was the Nike SQ2 and that was a good club. I hit it very well, but this R11 is the best fairway wood I've ever hit. Ok so it's only the second name brand 3 wood I've hit... but man, it really is an awesome club. The driver is going to have to compete for playing time off the tee. Favorite club in the bag right now.

R11 T3

I played a round yesterday where I left the driver in the bag and played either the T3 or a 4i off of the tee (par 4's and 5's). I put the FCT one notch above neutral (14.5*) and closed the ASP. The first shot with the T3 was on a par 5 that went straight down the middle, roughly 245 yards. I was worried about possibly hooking the ball with the ASP closed, but this wasn't the case. The next hole happened to be another par 5 and I had the same result. The ball flight for each shot was a high trajectory with a very small draw. I wasn't over swinging, which I have been doing with the driver lately, and each shot felt nice and crisp. I did get a little loose on the 4th tee shot, which resulted in a slice into an area between parallel fairways, but was able to recover. I ended up playing my best front 9 score on my home course.

I definitely started to get a little jittery on the back 9. I hit the T3 three more times on the back 9 and had mixed results. The tee shot on the 10th hole was struck very well and found the fairway with a small fade. I didn't really get through the ball on the 11th tee box and ended up hitting a small slice into the woods along the fairway. I did the same thing on the 13th hole and opted to just hit a 4i off of the tee thereafter. The T3 was performing very well when I put a good swing on it, but I was playing mind games with myself on the back, so I stuck with a club that couldn't get me into a lot of trouble. Overall, I was very impressed with the T3 when I put a good swing on the ball. I was hitting a nice, higher trajectory shot with a small draw. I was actually hitting the T3 just as far as 2 of the guys in my group were hitting their drivers and was about 15-20 yards behind the other guy. My experiment did work though, and I managed to find the fairway on the front 9 which I had not been doing with my driver. It's much easier hitting approach shots from the turf instead of out of the woods.

R11 T3

I played a round yesterday where I left the driver in the bag and played either the T3 or a 4i off of the tee (par 4's and 5's). I put the FCT one notch above neutral (14.5*) and closed the ASP. The first shot with the T3 was on a par 5 that went straight down the middle, roughly 245 yards. I was worried about possibly hooking the ball with the ASP closed, but this wasn't the case. The next hole happened to be another par 5 and I had the same result. The ball flight for each shot was a high trajectory with a very small draw. I wasn't over swinging, which I have been doing with the driver lately, and each shot felt nice and crisp. I did get a little loose on the 4th tee shot, which resulted in a slice into an area between parallel fairways, but was able to recover. I ended up playing my best front 9 score on my home course.

I definitely started to get a little jittery on the back 9. I hit the T3 three more times on the back 9 and had mixed results. The tee shot on the 10th hole was struck very well and found the fairway with a small fade. I didn't really get through the ball on the 11th tee box and ended up hitting a small slice into the woods along the fairway. I did the same thing on the 13th hole and opted to just hit a 4i off of the tee thereafter. The T3 was performing very well when I put a good swing on it, but I was playing mind games with myself on the back, so I stuck with a club that couldn't get me into a lot of trouble. Overall, I was very impressed with the T3 when I put a good swing on the ball. I was hitting a nice, higher trajectory shot with a small draw. I was actually hitting the T3 just as far as 2 of the guys in my group were hitting their drivers and was about 15-20 yards behind the other guy. My experiment did work though, and I managed to find the fairway on the front 9 which I had not been doing with my driver. It's much easier hitting approach shots from the turf instead of out of the woods.

Nice write up DD. Yeah these clubs definatley dont lack any distance when your hitting them well.

I tried my R11 3 wood this weekend. I set it up at home to be Closed, and 1* lower. Ended up after hitting a few shots I moved it to Neutral. Shot flawless off the deck and the tee.

Hi
Had some range time today. My driver and 3w made me giddy. I love the solid feel that you get when you hit em great. The sounds are nice too, my ears were ringing for sure from the driver. I am now thinking about putting RIP shafts in em. Ebay do not fail me now...

I went out yesterday to play a course that I am starting a league on next week. We will play 9 holes each week till September. The course was in rough shape and the greens were just aerated two weeks ago. The play was really slow too. The wind was the worst part of today. The gusts were between 20 and 30 mph. I had to end up taking my hat off halfway through the round, because I lost it a couple of times. I hope this is not foreshadowing to the golf league. On to the Mashie performance.;

The starter put us on the back nine hoping it would help us get 18 in.
-On the 10th hole, short par 4, I had a nice drive that had a draw on it. The wind took the ball to the left rough. The ball didn’t get up to high and cut through the wind pretty well.

-On the 12th hole, par 4 with water down the left. I ended up putting two balls in the water, thanks to a draw and the wind. I ended up aiming way right end put the third ball in the middle of the fairway.

-On the 13th hole that was a par 5 I had a nice drive off the tee that the wind just ate alive. This ball got up in the air and the wind just ballooned it even more. This is what the wind did to my shots all day. Whatever mistakes I made it just amplified them.

We decided at this point, that since it took us a 1:15 to play three holes we would try and drive ahead of the groups in front of us. We were really just out there to get a lay of the course for the league. After driving past group after group we where back at the clubhouse. We went back over to the starter and told him about how slow it was. We then decided to go off the front nine.

-1st hole, par 4- I hit a duck hook off the tee that luckily went through some trees and left me an open shot to the green.

-3rd hole, par 4 dogleg left- I crushed a nice straight shot over the dogleg. I didn’t aim far enough right and it was in the left rough.

-4th hole, par 4- The wind was in our face again, so I tried to tee the ball up a bit lower. This ended up hitting if off the toe and the ball went short.

-5th hole, Par 5- I had a nice drive off the tee. It was a nice fade that the wind pushed over into the right rough, but not by much.

-7th hole, Par 4- Since I was hitting most stuff left, I tried to adjust a bit and put this drive in to the right woods. I don’t think it was a slice, but a fade that the wind just pushed way right.

-8th hole, Par 5 Dogleg right- I hit a nice fade off of the tee that gave me about 260 to the green. I played the next short to the 100yd mark and pared out the hole.

-9th hole, Par 4 Dogleg left- I really wanted to cut the dogleg off, but was struggling going left when I went after the ball. I aimed a little more right and hit a nice straight drive that put in barely in the right rough. Not bad, I just need to aim better.

All in all, I had a rough day on the course. The slow play and the wind just made it frustrating. I think this had a lot of affect on my game. I think I need to work with the settings a bit to tone the draw down some. If I am not careful it turns into a hook. This might be a swing flaw a bit, because I am having problems with hooking my M3 Mashie. I hope to make it out the range the week, before the opening tournament of the league this weekend.

I went out yesterday to play a course that I am starting a league on next week. We will play 9 holes each week till September. The course was in rough shape and the greens were just aerated two weeks ago. The play was really slow too. The wind was the worst part of today. The gusts were between 20 and 30 mph. I had to end up taking my hat off halfway through the round, because I lost it a couple of times. I hope this is not foreshadowing to the golf league. On to the Mashie performance.;

The starter put us on the back nine hoping it would help us get 18 in.
-On the 10th hole, short par 4, I had a nice drive that had a draw on it. The wind took the ball to the left rough. The ball didn’t get up to high and cut through the wind pretty well.

-On the 12th hole, par 4 with water down the left. I ended up putting two balls in the water, thanks to a draw and the wind. I ended up aiming way right end put the third ball in the middle of the fairway.

-On the 13th hole that was a par 5 I had a nice drive off the tee that the wind just ate alive. This ball got up in the air and the wind just ballooned it even more. This is what the wind did to my shots all day. Whatever mistakes I made it just amplified them.

We decided at this point, that since it took us a 1:15 to play three holes we would try and drive ahead of the groups in front of us. We were really just out there to get a lay of the course for the league. After driving past group after group we where back at the clubhouse. We went back over to the starter and told him about how slow it was. We then decided to go off the front nine.

-1st hole, par 4- I hit a duck hook off the tee that luckily went through some trees and left me an open shot to the green.

-3rd hole, par 4 dogleg left- I crushed a nice straight shot over the dogleg. I didn’t aim far enough right and it was in the left rough.

-4th hole, par 4- The wind was in our face again, so I tried to tee the ball up a bit lower. This ended up hitting if off the toe and the ball went short.

-5th hole, Par 5- I had a nice drive off the tee. It was a nice fade that the wind pushed over into the right rough, but not by much.

-7th hole, Par 4- Since I was hitting most stuff left, I tried to adjust a bit and put this drive in to the right woods. I don’t think it was a slice, but a fade that the wind just pushed way right.

-8th hole, Par 5 Dogleg right- I hit a nice fade off of the tee that gave me about 260 to the green. I played the next short to the 100yd mark and pared out the hole.

-9th hole, Par 4 Dogleg left- I really wanted to cut the dogleg off, but was struggling going left when I went after the ball. I aimed a little more right and hit a nice straight drive that put in barely in the right rough. Not bad, I just need to aim better.

All in all, I had a rough day on the course. The slow play and the wind just made it frustrating. I think this had a lot of affect on my game. I think I need to work with the settings a bit to tone the draw down some. If I am not careful it turns into a hook. This might be a swing flaw a bit, because I am having problems with hooking my M3 Mashie. I hope to make it out the range the week, before the opening tournament of the league this weekend.

Nice job, Might want to change that to on the the R11 performance since this is the R11 thread lol.
Also just FYI for anybody that got the R11 with the blur, if you are changing that shaft out make sure to keep it, just got word that if you ever have a warranty claim you have to have the shaft in it that you bought it with, even if it is another R11 TP shaft. I just bought the RIP Beta and it should be here tomorrow or thursday but im keeping the Blur incase something happens and i need a warranty claim. I didnt know that so i figured it would be some good info to share.

Last edited:
Nice job, Might want to change that to on the the R11 performance since this is the R11 thread lol.
Also just FYI for anybody that got the R11 with the blur, if you are changing that shaft out make sure to keep it, just got word that if you ever have a warranty claim you have to have the shaft in it that you bought it with, even if it is another R11 TP shaft. I just bought the RIP Beta and it should be here tomorrow or thursday but im keeping the Blur incase something happens and i need a warranty claim. I didnt know that so i figured it would be some good info to share.

Glad you shared that I bet a lot of people are switching shafts. Where did you get your RIP Beta from? Just curious. I'm thinking a new shaft might be the answer to my FW problem and I'm looking for some good deals on shafts.

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

I had another good range session with the r11. I noticed that when I try and launch the ball a little higher into the air, I always seem to top it or hit these 5* launch angle scuds that could kill someone. However, when I am taking my normal swing, the ball flies at a mid trajectory and doesn't veer left or right of the target line. The club has surpassed the Mashie in terms of confidence, and I cannot wait to tee this thing up on a course in the next couple of weeks.

I decided that I would give the club a test and let my buddy hit it. Here is some info on him, think of a 5'7" Arnold Schwarzenegger who lacks any consistency when it comes to golf, and he really struggles with ball striking. He hit 10 shots with the club (off a tee) and came away extremely impressed with it. Overall, he hit 7 of 10 good shots that were a mid-low trajectory (he struggles to get the ball in the air) that stayed straight and didn't have his typical push slice. Two of the other shots were low topped scuds that could have hit someone in the knees if they were running around the indoor ranhe. The other shot was a pull that would have still been playable and given him good distance.

I can't seem to find a fault with the club. The stock shaft works for me, although I will demo it with other shafts after the three month period to see if I can get even better results. It's fully adjustable, looks great, is well weighted, and inspires confidence before every shot. I'm surprised that everyone doesn't have the 17* installment of the r11 in the bag because it simply makes the game A LOT easier.

Thanks for the catch. I just reused my intro from the Mashie testing thread. HAHA That is good to know about the shafts for future reference.

This driver is really starting to come around for me, last time out I hit 8 of 14 fwys and 2 more were about a foot in the rough. I had one bad drive all day with the R11 where I had to deem the ball unplayable. It was in some nasty stuff where they obviously dump any kind of grass clippings. I dont think your supposed to hit it there.

Glad you shared that I bet a lot of people are switching shafts. Where did you get your RIP Beta from? Just curious. I'm thinking a new shaft might be the answer to my FW problem and I'm looking for some good deals on shafts.

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

One of the guys i have bought of off for quite a bit of time now, have bought numerous things over the last couple years. It just came today and its awesome, its the same length as the RIP i was playing last year so instead of a 45.75" driver im playing a 45.25", 1/2 shorter than stock. Accuracy should improve, im not a big fan of long shafts(longer than 45.50 and thats cutting it close). If you looking for a shaft for your FW i would check ebay, just make sure you know who your buying from lol, allot of scammers and fakes on their.
If you want me to PM you some legit sellers that have great stuff just PM me.

My R11 7- wood was off a bit today or maybe the Indian was off. I hit the little fairway solid but had some pushes to the right. This also may be due to a swing tune up I am currently going through. I will reset the ASP to neutral tomorrow with the FCT on high which has been the best setting recently for my game. If the consistency comes back, I will work with this setting for a couple of weeks. I hate to switch back and forth too much. As good as this fairway wood is I am not completely sold, that it will permanently take a 20 degree hybrid out of my bag.

Now that the R11 has been out for a while have any of you seen any staining/discoloration or paint chipping? I am just curious. I haven't seen any come back to the store with these issues yet.

Now that the R11 has been out for a while have any of you seen any staining/discoloration or paint chipping? I am just curious. I haven't seen any come back to the store with these issues yet.

I have not noticed any problems with the top of the club. The black face does show wear a bit more than the traditional one.

I have not noticed any problems with the top of the club. The black face does show wear a bit more than the traditional one.

I havent had any problems either, my Face still looks perfect, maybe its because i clean it so much lol. No staining at all, never has even with the ghost putters.

I havent had any problems either, my Face still looks perfect, maybe its because i clean it so much lol. No staining at all, never has even with the ghost putters.

+1 .. Loving the R11 no complaints here!!!

I agree with you on the face. It may not be the case with the driver but with the FW when your trapping soil between the ball and the face it does show signs.

Just wanted to say that I enjoy reading this thread. I've got the 5-wood and the driver is on the way. What sold me was seeing my friend bash the R11 driver, how you can adjust the club to your swing, and how easy it is to switch shafts should you want to.

Just wanted to say that I enjoy reading this thread. I've got the 5-wood and the driver is on the way. What sold me was seeing my friend bash the R11 driver, how you can adjust the club to your swing, and how easy it is to switch shafts should you want to.

you can switch out shafts in 30 seconds lol, really you can. You really need to just read as much as you can about adjusting it, its way to much to type. Also you have the 5 wood and dont know how to adjust it or take the shaft out?

you can switch out shafts in 30 seconds lol, really you can. You really need to just read as much as you can about adjusting it, its way to much to type. Also you have the 5 wood and dont know how to adjust it or take the shaft out?

I dont recall him saying he didnt know how to do these things rather he said that those were the selling points for him on these clubs.

Back