Votes: 25 92.6%
  • was it relevant to the group?

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

dmgolfer

Reaction score
Handicap
http://www.thegolfchannel.com/shag-bag/chois-cutting-edge-choices-42360/

"AUGUSTA, Ga. – There are no records, at least not any that are publically available, kept pertaining to specific equipment configurations at the Masters but K.J. Choi’s bag choices this week likely represent a new frontier.

Choi, who finished fourth last year at Augusta National, will tee off on Thursday with no iron longer than a 7-iron. Instead he will carry 3-, 4-, 5- and 6-iron hybrids in an attempt to hit the ball higher and hold the club’s slopping greens.

“He has been working on drawing the ball to hit it further but at Doral he couldn’t stop his longer irons especially on downwind shots,” said Steve Bann, Choi’s swing coach.

The hybrid replacement’s, all of which are Adams Golf models, came slowly, first the 3-iron (21 degrees), then a 4-iron (24 degrees) and finally a 5- and 6-iron (28 and 32 degrees) in the days before the season’s first major.

The plan seems to be working. On Monday Bann said Choi hit his 185-yard approach into the 18th hole pin high and it rolled out 3 yards. It’s a shot he would have been unable to hit with a long iron. Of course cutting edge has come with its share of curious glances.

“Poor (caddie Andy Prodger), he was looking down at the bag the other day saying, ‘I have seven wood covers,’” Bann said."

How in the world can a tour golfer play hybrids with their non-forged aspect and those thick top lines....Pfft!

my dark horse pick is serious

How in the world can a tour golfer play hybrids with their non-forged aspect and those thick top lines....Pfft!

I know right, I didnt think tour players could even hit a ball with anything other than a thin piece or forged goodness.

Choi is a hack and this just proves it. Ha! He didn't even get top 3 last year.

That sounds absolutely crazy to me. I guess we will have to wait and see.

the caddie's reaction is hilarious!!
With all these hybrids making their way onto the tour makes me think of Corey Pavin back in the day with his driver, 3wd, 4wd, 5wd setup. BTW what's that guy been up to?

Also, the poll kind of gives us two choices that are the exact same. An interesting topic would be relevant to this group I think.

Good stuff - KJ is one of my picks also!

I guess I need to investigate getting me a 6 hybrid so my bag can match Choi's.
:D

Wow that is pretty surprising. I had a guy in the store last night looking for a 7 hybrid.

Wow I don't know about this strategy! We will have to see if it works out for K.J. but I think it's a terrible idea.

I get enough grief from my buddies for playing my Nickent 5h. Now I can tell them at least I don't game a 6h like a certain Tour pro does...!

Wow I don't know about this strategy! We will have to see if it works out for K.J. but I think it's a terrible idea.

out of curiosity, why? His goal is to hit them higher for the Augusta greens, which most people feel as though hybrids do. I dont know how the results will turn out, but Im curious why you think this is a terible idea.

Why do you think it's a terrible idea?

What makes this a terrible idea?

If he holds greens better and doesn't give up distance what is he really losing?

Edit: Man am I slow today

I think this is great idea actually espcially if he wasn't holding the green with the mid or long irons. If you go off the greens there you're toast.

Is Adams the only one that makes a 6 hybrid?

I know right, I didnt think tour players could even hit a ball with anything other than a thin piece or forged goodness.

I heard Freddie Couples duct-taped a piece of sheet metal to a yard stick.

Cobra does. Bobby Jones does. Ping does. Must be others. Sure wish Cleveland did.

Cleveland makes these http://clevelandgolf.com/US_hb3-irons__hb3_irons__viewProd_irons.html . I would classify them as Hybrids and you can get an entire set of them.

I got the original Hibore "irons" when they first came out and they were really easy to hit. I currently have the Hibore XLi 3 and 4 hybrid/irons in my bag now and they are $$$ (by that I mean awesome and easy to hit).

Also,

The pole question was confusing for me. I found that this post was both relevant and interesting, and I'm still not sure what the poll was asking and why you couldn't chose both.

Cleveland makes these http://clevelandgolf.com/US_hb3-irons__hb3_irons__viewProd_irons.html . I would classify them as Hybrids and you can get an entire set of them.

I got the original Hibore "irons" when they first came out and they were really easy to hit. I currently have the Hibore XLi 3 and 4 hybrid/irons in my bag now and they are $$$ (by that I mean awesome and easy to hit).

I have a whole set of Xli's in the back up bag. Love them. But would love an M6 even more....

I think this is an interesting move. I can't wait to see how it works for him, but according to the article, it's already working.

I know that I keep flirting with removing the 5i. Picked up a mint condition 24* Fybrid that's just been loitering around my closet. It does go higher than my 5i, which is usually high enough but it is easy to swing and the only swing thought required for me is "finish". I've never hit this on the course so I don't have any idea how it plays from the rough or difficult lies. I also tried a set of Bobby Jones hybrids (21,25,30) but they are not well suited to my swing. The 30* was like a fairway wedge --150 yards with 1/2 backswing to full finish and it landed like a sand wedge so Mr. Choi is probably onto something for Augusta.

Back