The Masters [Spoilers]

I loved the fact that so many non-American golfers were near the top of the leaderboard. I felt bad for Rory that he couldn't hold on, but I was glad it ended up being an exciting final round with a lot of golfers fighting for the win. The only European golfers I have been annoyed with from one time or another is Lee Westwood and Ian Poulter because they seem to whine a little bit on their Twitter accounts sometimes after a not-so-great round. Other than some of those comments I really like them as well though when it comes to their game

I wish they'd just stopped showing Rory after the blow-up. Nobody wanted to see a broken kid missing four footers.

Its because for the most part, over here it is not an us vs them kind of thing.

it's not here either... unless its the Ryder Cup of course :)

I'm pleasantly surprised the way the Americans here have been so gracious about Rory McIlroy's nightmare yesterday.

I half expected to open this thread to find lots of whooping and hollering for the American golfers, and 'rooting for your own'. I apologise for thinking that. To come in and see that pretty much everyone is really quite upset about his collapse is very reassuring and I'm proud that I'm signed up to the forum because of that.

I think everyone on this forum respects the way Rory conducted himself. It's hard to knock someone with class. Even at the lowest point of his meltdown, he didn't put blame on anyone, didn't swear, didn't throw clubs, didn't spit into cups. He behaved like a gentleman. Everyone here appreciated that.

The best thing about this Masters??? Tiger's charge...pretty amazing, Rory's collapse?...heart wrenching, the play of the Aussie Duo of Adam and Jason?, electrifying!,....the only four birdie finish to win the Masters?......A first that we may never see again, but the NUMBER 1 best thing?....I got to sit with my kid brother Joel and watch the Masters live for the first time in 20 years!!!!!!!!!!! A
Welcome back home brother!

What a Masters. I wasn't on much but I followed close.

Tiger played ok. I know I know, but he missed a ton of putts. I'm not saying he used to make everything but once that comes back.... I'll just say he was hitting golf shots. Doing what Tiger does. Hopefully that short game comes back. Oh I was wrong about his run this past weekend. He was relevant. Still not sure he is back. I mean this is the Masters. Wouldn't surprise me if he broke the record with at least 3 of those wins here.

Rory. Don't like him very much but was that ever crushing. He's going to win a lot. It will only make him stronger.

Charl!!!!! The year of Charl!!!!!!! Maybe not but fantastic weekend!

I'm pleasantly surprised the way the Americans here have been so gracious about Rory McIlroy's nightmare yesterday.

I half expected to open this thread to find lots of whooping and hollering for the American golfers, and 'rooting for your own'. I apologise for thinking that. To come in and see that pretty much everyone is really quite upset about his collapse is very reassuring and I'm proud that I'm signed up to the forum because of that.

Everyone I know was tortured by what they saw yesterday, it was the hardest sporting thing I have ever had to watch on TV and I don't know how Rory held himself together to even finish the round. The poor guy desperately needed a hug, just like one of you guys said earlier.

I was trying to work out what changed, and I think Day and McIlroy had such a brilliant time together that Rory probably felt really lonely on that last round, he and Day were getting on like a house on fire and feeding off each other and making each other play great golf. I can't imagine that it was pressure alone that made him choke...

Those 3 holes where McIlroy's round fell to pieces will be talked about for many many years, and I'm praying for him that he can keep that all behind him and move on.

The boy looked lost and lonely on the back nine, it must have been awful for him. I wish him nothing but happiness and luck for the rest of his career.

And thank you to all the American's who were gracious in their appreciation of him on the 18th. He did after all, play the most wonderful, sublime golf for 3 days, and for that he deserves everyone's respect.

I think this was definitely part of it. He was the best for 3 days hands down. I felt bad for him watching him fall. The only reason they showed him missing in the end was because he was in the final pairing and they needed to show shots.

That being said, I'm sure its entirely different on the other side of the pond as most will be talking about Rory. But I thought it was awesome, through out the back nine I heard TONS of cheers FOR Rory and people encouraging him (thank you directv!). It was hit on The Mike and Mike show this morning that, at least on this side of the world that it won't be such a bad thing him falling down because there was so much OTHER drama with so many others in contention. I believe the only thing that would have made this Greg Norman esque would be if it happened to Rory later, say around 16 or 17. But with so many other storylines and players close, his round will not be remembered as negatively.

I was cheering for Tiger the whole time on Sunday, and then after watching his interview at the end of the round it made me wonder why I wanted him to win. Tiger is just an ass.

Rory at 21 has more class than Tiger does at 35.

Is that just the Tiger syndrome that makes everyone want him to win despite his personality?

yesterday was awesome to watch. I was just walking off the course when my dad called me and said "Your buddy Tiger just eagled #8 and is 1 back of the lead." By time I got home I was able to see him make that long par putt on 9 and I thought, geez maybe it could happen. I loved how there were about 10 guys who could have won this thing. Adam Scott and Jason Day played great down the stretch. I really thought Scott was going to pull it off. Charl finding birdie at the final 4 holes at a major is epic! Imagine the fanfare that would be going on today if that was Tiger or Phil that pulled that off to win. When the day started it looked like it wouldn't be all that exciting, but it turned out to be must see tv. The Masters did not disappoint this year.

Actually I think they had to. It was a huge story, arguably the biggest one of the Masters. If they didn't people would have been wondering 'where's Rory?' or 'well, how did he get so far back....I want to see what happened/what's happening' CBS would've been slammed for not at least keeping tabs on him, etc.

One of the images that I'll always associate with this Masters is the shot of Rory playing peek a boo from behind a tree by the house. One, I can totally relate to that kind of lie and two, who knew there were even houses on the course at Augusta!?!?!

I wish they'd just stopped showing Rory after the blow-up. Nobody wanted to see a broken kid missing four footers.

One of the images that I'll always associate with this Masters is the shot of Rory playing peek a boo from behind a tree by the house. One, I can totally relate to that kind of lie and two, who knew there were even houses on the course at Augusta!?!?!

I remember walking in that area when I went to Augusta in 2009. I made the comment to my dad that he was closer to the par 3 course than he was the championship course.

Actually I think they had to. It was a huge story, arguably the biggest one of the Masters. If they didn't people would have been wondering 'where's Rory?' or 'well, how did he get so far back....I want to see what happened/what's happening' CBS would've been slammed for not at least keeping tabs on him, etc.

Those weren't like residential houses, the butler cabin is down that way plus they have a bunch of other places around there, I would assume for out of town members to stay in while they come play but I'm not 100% on that.

Best major I have seen in a good few years I think - I love the Masters anyway, second only to The Open - but this was a cut above. Having so many players in contention was great. I think I cheered for each one of them at some point during hte last couple of hours, all for different reasons!.

Gutted for Rory though, but I don't think this will set him back too much - maybe just this season. In the end I think I wanted Adam Scott to win most of all, but Charl seems to be a great guy, and you can't dispute 4 birdies in the last 4 holes of a Major.

I see where you're coming from, but whether the winner is -20 or +1 the end of the week we see the person who played it best wearing a nice new green jacket to show for his work. I thought the same way you did for a long time, but then I saw players struggling for pars at Augusta and really missed the risk/reward and dramatics that we see like this year.

Sorry I am just catching up on this thread.

Where is the Risk/Reward is bad shots aren't penalized. If you can hit into 15 and know that the apron will hold your ball out of the water, where is the risk in going for it?

Blowing it over, coming up short, hitting it into the bunker. Just because its not penalized with hazard doesnt mean strategy isnt penalized. The greens are like glass. Its tough to recover when youre out of position.
Sorry I am just catching up on this thread.

Where is the Risk/Reward is bad shots aren't penalized. If you can hit into 15 and know that the apron will hold your ball out of the water, where is the risk in going for it?

About 9pm last night Charl tweeted:
"I went to Augusta and all I got was this green jacket... http://twitpic.com/4jfzm8"

I lol'd

"I went to Augusta and all I got was this green jacket... http://twitpic.com/4jfzm8"

I lol'd

HAHAHA. Love it!

I'm watching the DVR from yesterday's round and it is just as exciting watching it again. This might have been the best Masters that I can remember just from the standpoint of how many players were right there with a chance to win on the back 9, it changed by the minute. Very exciting!

I lol'd

Win the Masters....then Join Twitter. That's how it usually works right?

Im not going to lie, the first time I saw Lukes outfit was today in the Caption This contest. It wasnt THAT bad you guys... Id rock it.

Rory just posted on Twitter the following.

Flying to Malaysia with Charl! Glad one of us has a green jacket on!!!

275016183.jpg

Rory just posted on Twitter the following.

Flying to Malaysia with Charl! Glad one of us has a green jacket on!!!

275016183.jpg

ouch lol, not a big fan of rory but after seeing his interviews after his harsh loss i like him a little better, truly was a class act on the interview i watched

This weekend was like something out of a movie, just totally unreal.

First you had saturday. It's hot, everybody's there and they're all just kinda just chillin' doing their thing, the scene felt like one of sunny those hot humid summer days that you know is going to bring some seriously severe thunderstorms; for now you're just really enjoying it but there's an air of anticipation in the air. In this case the looming thunderstorm is Sunday at the Masters.

Then Sunday happened and the storms fierce and came early. Tiger's charging, Schwartzel's chipping in and holing out, Choi, the aussies and seemingly everyone else are throwing their names in the hat, Rory is playing his part. We come down the stretch and everyone is still in it until finally the under the radar young gun who learned his game under the eye of major champions, stepped up and didn't win by default, but went out and grabbed it with and unbelievable 4 birdie stretch. That's a movie right there, only you couldn't script this stuff.

Davide Faherty on the dan patrick show yesterday on the 2011 masters.

asked what he would say to rory on the tee at 11 if he was rory's caddy: "let's go have a pint"

when asked if that's something rory would entertain, faherty said "nah, rory doesn't drink all the much; i'm not even sure he's irish"

on what he was thinking as what was going down sunday was going down "you know, us announcers are supposed to have some idea of what's going on out there; but that was like watching a herd of goats doing crosswords, after a while i just gave up" :laughing: :laughing:

Davide Faherty on the dan patrick show yesterday on the 2011 masters.

asked what he would say to rory on the tee at 11 if he was rory's caddy: "let's go have a pint"

when asked if that's something rory would entertain, faherty said "nah, rory doesn't drink all the much; i'm not even sure he's irish"

on what he was thinking as what was going down sunday was going down "you know, us announcers are supposed to have some idea of what's going on out there; but that was like watching a herd of goats doing crosswords, after a while i just gave up" :laughing: :laughing:

haha faherty is my favorite announcer

Back