TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB Review Thread

I am lovin' these babies.

IMAG0252.jpg

Got an X-Forged/TP MB combo set now in the bag. I hate it whenever I have to hit my X-Forged, they just don't compare to the MBs.
That is what a solidly struck shot looks like there! MBs over the X-Forged, I love hearing that.

Hit em well Pete!

I have to say I'm surprised at how high my flight is with these. It's also not curved in any way, it goes high and lands soft. Don't know if that's the head, me or the new shaft (had Rifle 6.0s before, now DG S300).

I too noticed that, mainly for me it was 7,8,9 irons that I really got to see that which was a surprise for me using a blade like this. I would be inclined to say that your new shaft/head combo would go higher than a Rifle setup, aren't those usually more of a low boring flight anyway?

I love high shots and don't balloon and land soft, it amazes me how the guys on tour can hit their iron shots so high, even long irons.

I too noticed that, mainly for me it was 7,8,9 irons that I really got to see that which was a surprise for me using a blade like this. I would be inclined to say that your new shaft/head combo would go higher than a Rifle setup, aren't those usually more of a low boring flight anyway?

I love high shots and don't balloon and land soft, it amazes me how the guys on tour can hit their iron shots so high, even long irons.

DG are generally the lowest launching shafts out there. PX are higher from what I understand.

Pete, I I'm glad to hear you got your set finally. I really can't wait to hear how you like your mixed set. Your mixed set feedback will be a great addition since many people have been considering it with this set.

I went to golf galaxy tonight and hit both the MB and MC. They only had the Nippon Stiff shaft to put in them. I was very unimpressed. I hit them about 20 yards less than my current setup according to the flight monitor. I think the flight monitor was off, but that shaft was not good for that setup. I'd like to see if I can get hitting them with a Project X shaft and see how that goes.

I went to golf galaxy tonight and hit both the MB and MC. They only had the Nippon Stiff shaft to put in them. I was very unimpressed. I hit them about 20 yards less than my current setup according to the flight monitor. I think the flight monitor was off, but that shaft was not good for that setup. I'd like to see if I can get hitting them with a Project X shaft and see how that goes.

i have the mc's with project x shafts there amazing go far to.

no px have a low to medium trajectory i have mc's with project x

That's what I thought. I though DG's are going to give you a bit higher flight. I'd also be interested to see what the Nippons do in the CB's and MB's. I know Timmyak said he hit the MC's with the Nippon but it's hard to tell inside.

what i heard is dg shafts like ballon at the end an project x flattens out towards the end. so that makes the px go littler lower. i guess it all depends on ur swing to. if you look at the tour lots of pro's use project x rifles in irons. phil Michelson i know for use uses them iv seen other but forget, i have adhd i forget easy haha. dam attention span.

DG's are the most used shaft on Tour and it isn't even close from what I recall.

what i heard is dg shafts like ballon at the end an project x flattens out towards the end. so that makes the px go littler lower. i guess it all depends on ur swing to. if you look at the tour lots of pro's use project x rifles in irons. phil Michelson i know for use uses them iv seen other but forget, i have adhd i forget easy haha. dam attention span.

Not sure I agree with that. More tour players use DG than PX actually.

That's what I thought. I though DG's are going to give you a bit higher flight. I'd also be interested to see what the Nippons do in the CB's and MB's. I know Timmyak said he hit the MC's with the Nippon but it's hard to tell inside.

The Nippons are not for me at all. I'm a PX or DG guy. And hitting inside is definitely not good. I still have a little while before I order my irons so I may go to my local shop and try these one more time with the PX shafts.

One thing i noticed during my research is the TM's are all stronger lie than most other companies. Their 3 iron plays at a 17 degree loft where my Mizunos play at a 21. They also play at a lie of a degree upright compared to others. I can see why they are longer and lower than most other irons out there.

Not sure I agree with that. More tour players use DG than PX actually.

I've actually started to see more pros going with the PX's, but it also depends on who they play for. I've noticed that Ping uses DG in all their pro's irons.

I've had DG s300 shafts in 3 sets now and in the TP MBs they perform pretty similar to what I saw out of them in a set of Mizunos and a set of Nike Pro Combos. Speaking of that, the TP MB iron really remind me of the MP-57 which is a "players cavity" in terms of feedback and what I see with my misses. Distances for me are about dead on with what I saw out of the Mizunos but the feel of the MBs are simply in a class all by themselves.

I've actually started to see more pros going with the PX's, but it also depends on who they play for. I've noticed that Ping uses DG in all their pro's irons.

excatly haha im just going by what i see on tv. i watch an see the blue sticker on the non step shafts. i go oh project x. more people are starting to use them. i have a fast swing i love them in my mc's.

It really does not matter what they play. On tour, players can get any shaft they want in just about any iron they want.

excatly haha im just going by what i see on tv. i watch an see the blue sticker on the non step shafts. i go oh project x. more people are starting to use them. i have a fast swing i love them in my mc's.

I swear guys, we have actual stats and the numbers are not even close. Both DG and PX are owned by the same company. They have no reason to mess with the statistics. There are FAR more DG's being used on tour than that of PX.

Im glad that they are working for you, that is all that matters, as I dont believe anybody should buy shafts based on what is used on tour.

It really does not matter what they play. On tour, players can get any shaft they want in just about any iron they want.

I swear guys, we have actual stats and the numbers are not even close. Both DG and PX are owned by the same company. They have no reason to mess with the statistics. There are FAR more DG's being used on tour than that of PX.

Im glad that they are working for you, that is all that matters, as I dont believe anybody should buy shafts based on what is used on tour.
Excellent point. We see a lot of that with other pieces of equipment as well.

well i got fitted for my mc's it was between both an he said px was the best for me but dg was just as good. so i went with the best for me.
Bingo! That's exactly what you should do first, take notice of what players on tour use next. It's always fun seeing something you use and see results with being used on the highest level for sure.

I've had DG s300 shafts in 3 sets now and in the TP MBs they perform pretty similar to what I saw out of them in a set of Mizunos and a set of Nike Pro Combos. Speaking of that, the TP MB iron really remind me of the MP-57 which is a "players cavity" in terms of feedback and what I see with my misses. Distances for me are about dead on with what I saw out of the Mizunos but the feel of the MBs are simply in a class all by themselves.
So you are not seeing any difference in distances with the TM's over the Mizunos? This is the only factor keeping my decision torn between the two.

I'm not doubting the stats at all. DG has always been a trusted shaft. And that is an excellent point with buying shafts. Being fitted is always key.

So you are not seeing any difference in distances with the TM's over the Mizunos? This is the only factor keeping my decision torn between the two.
The distances I'm seeing out of the TP MB irons are pretty comparable to the distances I got out of the MP-57s, yes.

Last edited:
For traditional lofted clubs these seem to be extremely hot off the face. Compared to my previous clubs I'm atleast a half club longer in just about every range. They are both mated with the exact same lofts and shafts. Mishits are marginally less punishing as well. I'm talking 1-2 groove mishits, not something off the toe that doesn't even go 50 yards.

The MP-57s I was referring to earlier are similarly lofted as the TP MBs we're talking about in this tread. The fact that I'm hitting the TP MBs the same distances as I used those irons would probably equal about a half a club or so if comparing them to another muscle back. The MP-57s are a cavity back iron; for me to be able to hit the this muscle back that same distance is saying definitely a good thing in my opinion.

Back