TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB Review Thread

Jrod, thanks for the reply. So you like the TMAG MB's better than the Titleist? I love the look of the TM MB's with the thinner top line and shorter blade length as well as the satin finish. How do they hit compared to the Titleist MB's. I am probably going to pick up a set today and give them a head to head with my Titleist and the winner I will game but a little more feedback would be much appreciated.

What did you like/dislike between the two sets?

Thanks

Absolutely like the TMAG MB's better. As I have stated 1000x in this thread these things are so easy to swing it's almost an odd feeling. I love the look of them also, but some traditionalists might not. Doesn't matter to me.

Pro's: Swing Balance is just amazing. While punishing on mishits they are absolutely easy to put a good swing on. If you can game the Titleist MB's these will feel like you're hitting a cavity backed iron. Especially in the long irons, while I bag a hybrid 3 I would have no problem trusting myself to hit the 3i over a 200 yard carry.
Trajectory control is also very easy with these irons, going to opposite ends of the spectrum with much ease.

I love the look of the Titleist MB's and I thought I loved the feel....until I hit the TMAG MB's. The feel of the Titlesit MB's far surpasses my old VR Blades but falls short of the TMaG MB's. They just feel a little harsh to me. Clicky I guess for a lack of a better term.

I try not to sound like a salesman here as that was not my job. I'm just trying to give honest feedback. I liked the Titleist MB's alot, but these are a better club in my opinion. I would not hesitate to recommend these to anyone, and I take that very seriously as we all work hard for our money.

As always I would suggest you hit them first, as it sounds like you are going to , and you will see exactly what I'm talking about. I think alot of advertising is alot of BS mixed with some truth, but they seemed to nail the CoG trick with these irons whether its from the screw or not. As soon as you swing one of these 10 times you will see exactly what I am talking about. You will look down on it and wonder where this feeling has been your entire golf career.

As always VT, anymore questions please feel free to ask her or shoot me a PM, I am heading to work now so my next response may be a little delayed. Either way let us know what you do and please share you experience good or bad here on this thread! I love hearing real world feedback from honest THP members!

-Jarrod

Outstanding reply JRod, you're exactly right about feeling like you're hitting a cavity back compared to other muscle back irons. VT, please come back here and share your experience with us, I'd love to hear what you think of them compared to the Titleist MBs.

I have to admit I am a golf wh*re and pretty much buy all new equipment when it comes in as long as it meets what I am looking for so yesterday I went out a bought the new Taylor Made Tour Preferred MB's for a little head to head with my Titleist 710 MB's. I loved the way they looked with the more rounded toe, thin top line and short blade length from toe to heel. After buying the irons, from Martins Golf and Tennis, (they have a great 30 day guarantee) I headed out to a range in Myrtle Beach, SC where I am with my family for spring break.

When I am at the beach I usually practice and play at Grand Dunes or at Barefoot Landing and both ranges are excellent with firm sand packed turf with short tight lies. I have been playing with the Titlesit MB's for close to a year now and so far nothing has been able to kick them out of the bag. The clubs I have purchased or played over the last year are the Ping S56's, Titleist CB's, Titleist AP2's, Mizuno MP 68's, Mizuno MP 63's and finally the TMAG MB's. All these clubs look very much the same with a rounded toe, mostly thin topline and shorter blade lengths. Other than the Ping's they are also forged. Each of the clubs had some great qualities but none were better than my current Titleist MB's which to me flight the ball on a mid high trajectory but with the ability to control my trajectory and shot shape.

I started off hitting the TMAG MB pitching wedge with short smooth swings and the first thing I noticed was the soft forging. The trajectory was definitely lower than with my Titleist MB's but still with a nice trajectory that pierced the 10-12 mph head wind I was hitting into. I then moved to the 7 iron and 5 iron with very similiar results. I have been hitting the ball well and I had no problems with hitting these as well. My miss hits are usually slight thin or slightly heavy and you definitely get punished with a little distance loss when you miss low or high but it's not a huge distance loss but I would say a 1/2 club to 3/4 of a club which is not bad considering they are a players muscle back. I will say the distance loss from mis hits with the TMAG's is a little greater than with the Titleist MB's but not by much. I was able to hit low draws, high draws and it seemed the go to shot was a slight fade which is my preferred ball flight.

Fast forward to today's range and course time...after yesterdays practice session I went out today and took both the TMAG's and the Titleist out for a little head to head. I had very similiar results as yesterday but the wind direction was blowing down wind today but only around 8mph. I then went and played 9 holes with two balls. I hit one drive and then from the same spot I hit both the MB's and this is where I was shocked at the results. I was a full club shorter with the Taylor Made MB's over my Titleist MB's. The shot dispersion was close but I was able to flight the ball a little better with my Titleist's over the TMAG's and I like the firm feel of the Titleist a little better as well.

I was a little surprised at my results but it was a pretty fair test and I made sure I had either a full club in to all greens. On the 5th hole I had 165 in with a slight left to right cross wind that might have been helping a tad and I hit my Titleist 7 iron to 5 feet left of the pin and the Taylor Made 7 iron came up 30' short. This happened consistently throughout the round which had me curious so I took the clubs back to Martins and had them check the lofts and both sets were exactly the same with lofts and lies.

I am a little disappointed to say the least because I really love the looks of these clubs but it also reassured me that the Titleist MB's are my set. The distance difference is not that important if the shot dispersion was better but it wasn't any better and at my age I can not afford to give up a full club difference and therefore I returned the irons for a full in store credit in which I used to buy another Callaway FT Tour and had a Diamana Kai'li installed.

Everyone who is hitting these irons continue to hit them well. They are a very nice set with great feel but they were not a lot better than my Titleist which they were going to have to be for me to make a switch.

I have to admit I am a golf wh*re and pretty much buy all new equipment when it comes in as long as it meets what I am looking for so yesterday I went out a bought the new Taylor Made Tour Preferred MB's for a little head to head with my Titleist 710 MB's. I loved the way they looked with the more rounded toe, thin top line and short blade length from toe to heel. After buying the irons, from Martins Golf and Tennis, (they have a great 30 day guarantee) I headed out to a range in Myrtle Beach, SC where I am with my family for spring break.

When I am at the beach I usually practice and play at Grand Dunes or at Barefoot Landing and both ranges are excellent with firm sand packed turf with short tight lies. I have been playing with the Titlesit MB's for close to a year now and so far nothing has been able to kick them out of the bag. The clubs I have purchased or played over the last year are the Ping S56's, Titleist CB's, Titleist AP2's, Mizuno MP 68's, Mizuno MP 63's and finally the TMAG MB's. All these clubs look very much the same with a rounded toe, mostly thin topline and shorter blade lengths. Other than the Ping's they are also forged. Each of the clubs had some great qualities but none were better than my current Titleist MB's which to me flight the ball on a mid high trajectory but with the ability to control my trajectory and shot shape.

I started off hitting the TMAG MB pitching wedge with short smooth swings and the first thing I noticed was the soft forging. The trajectory was definitely lower than with my Titleist MB's but still with a nice trajectory that pierced the 10-12 mph head wind I was hitting into. I then moved to the 7 iron and 5 iron with very similiar results. I have been hitting the ball well and I had no problems with hitting these as well. My miss hits are usually slight thin or slightly heavy and you definitely get punished with a little distance loss when you miss low or high but it's not a huge distance loss but I would say a 1/2 club to 3/4 of a club which is not bad considering they are a players muscle back. I will say the distance loss from mis hits with the TMAG's is a little greater than with the Titleist MB's but not by much. I was able to hit low draws, high draws and it seemed the go to shot was a slight fade which is my preferred ball flight.

Fast forward to today's range and course time...after yesterdays practice session I went out today and took both the TMAG's and the Titleist out for a little head to head. I had very similiar results as yesterday but the wind direction was blowing down wind today but only around 8mph. I then went and played 9 holes with two balls. I hit one drive and then from the same spot I hit both the MB's and this is where I was shocked at the results. I was a full club shorter with the Taylor Made MB's over my Titleist MB's. The shot dispersion was close but I was able to flight the ball a little better with my Titleist's over the TMAG's and I like the firm feel of the Titleist a little better as well.

I was a little surprised at my results but it was a pretty fair test and I made sure I had either a full club in to all greens. On the 5th hole I had 165 in with a slight left to right cross wind that might have been helping a tad and I hit my Titleist 7 iron to 5 feet left of the pin and the Taylor Made 7 iron came up 30' short. This happened consistently throughout the round which had me curious so I took the clubs back to Martins and had them check the lofts and both sets were exactly the same with lofts and lies.

I am a little disappointed to say the least because I really love the looks of these clubs but it also reassured me that the Titleist MB's are my set. The distance difference is not that important if the shot dispersion was better but it wasn't any better and at my age I can not afford to give up a full club difference and therefore I returned the irons for a full in store credit in which I used to buy another Callaway FT Tour and had a Diamana Kai'li installed.

Everyone who is hitting these irons continue to hit them well. They are a very nice set with great feel but they were not a lot better than my Titleist which they were going to have to be for me to make a switch.

Great write up VT, sorry they didnt work out but at least you have the correct irons for your game, thats really what matters isnt it

Thanks alot for getting back to us VT, I appreciate your honest response and want to thank you for your thorough write up. I'm sorry you didn't find the same results as I have, but I guess thats why we all play different equipment. Good luck on your future purchases!

VT great write-up. Were you fitted for the TM MB's or were these a standard set. I'm surprised they gave you full credit for the set too after playing a round.

I was surprised at the results as well. I forgot to mention this as well but the TMAG's felt a little heavier as well for some reason. Mardin, I was fitted for them and Martins does have a great return policy which shocked me.

Thanks for the very thorough write up VT! I was rather surprised to see your findings as well, but that is why we play the equipment we play at the end of the day right? We'll play what works best and you can rest assured that you are playing the best for your game. Obviously there has been some challengers to your set of Titliest MBs yet they still remain firmly planted.

Again thank you so much for the write up!

I have only had these out a few times when the weather hasn't been horrible (temps in the 40s and windy usually) but today it's gorgeous out and I hit them beautifully. I don't think that is completely by accident either. It's hard to really get the feel for any club let alone a forged muscle back iron when the temps are cool. I've had a couple of those good range sessions but nothing quite like today. It is funny too because I was a little cautious going into it due to some problems I've been having with some back pain but that quickly went away after I warmed up and started hitting the irons so well. The feeling of a solidly struck shot with these irons about brings tears to your eyes, it's just that good and the ball just seems to fly better than anything else. I hit a bunch of PWs to start at the 115 yard target and I could tell it would be a good day after about 3 shots. It's crazy how fast that confidence can come right back to you after a couple of good swings. After I surrounded the hole on that green I grabbed the 8 iron and took aim at the 150 yard sign, results were similar with a lot of shots looking like they'd be close to hitting the sign. I kept on working through the bag randomly and ended with some 5 iron shots aimed at the 200 yard sign. I couldn't get all the way to the marker but definitely on the right line most of the time. I can't stress enough how you just have to know your limits and not try to get tough with these irons because when you bulk up and want to try to get more out of it you really get punished if you don't nail it.

Part of me wonders if the session went so well because of my tender back making me realize that I wasn't about to push anything out there. After 90 balls I left the range with my back feeling stretched out and quite well actually. Not to mention I left on top of the world after such a good range session! The real action starts Wednesday (Men's League opener)!!

Great write-up Jake. Sounds like the real deal in those mb's. I still think they are likely too much club for me, but they sure are sweet to look at, lol.

I I kept on working through the bag randomly and ended with some 5 iron shots aimed at the 200 yard sign. I couldn't get all the way to the marker but definitely on the right line most of the time. I can't stress enough how you just have to know your limits and not try to get tough with these irons because when you bulk up and want to try to get more out of it you really get punished if you don't nail it.

I felt the same way when I hit the MC's. You need to focus on a smooth tempo and hitting the ball dead center. I tried a few times to kill the ball and I was rewarded with hitting a bunch of toe shots that sliced hard.

First post here. I just ordered this set by just hitting the 6 iron. I was able to carry it 200 yards slightly longer than what I am hitting now. I am getting a 3 degree up sweep and an inch longer. I was able to hit the 6 iron perfectly for 20-25 balls and I was sold. I just hope I do not regret this since all of the hits were off a mat. I did not try any other clubs out due to my height and they only had one shaft that was an inch longer. These clubs should be in my hands by May 9th.

I just ordered a set of these yesterday too. I hit the Burner 2.0's, MC, CB and MB's and walked out buying the MBs. I love the way they feel when you hit it good. Like Long&straight said, I hope hitting off the mat didn't hinder my results. I alson learned that if I get a stiff shaft that my ball won't go right on me as much. I was playing with the shafts, and it seemed with the regular flex I was getting a faster swing speed but the ball was going right about 3-6*. But when i put in the stiff, the machine said it was a 0 in the same category. Needless to say I'm excited, I know my game will take a hit at first, but I will bounce back with determination...

I did not know u could get GW in this set? I agree that you can't kill the ball with these. If I had more consistency I would have them. They feel so nice when hit well!

I didn't want the 3 iron so I got the gw instead. You have a choice 3-pw or 4-pw,gw. At least I did at golf galaxy.

I didn't even see the GW on TM sites. That must be a special order thing. I was on TGW the other day and also noticed they offered an MB 2 Iron! I don't think I could ever hit that club.

I just ordered a set of these yesterday too. I hit the Burner 2.0's, MC, CB and MB's and walked out buying the MBs. I love the way they feel when you hit it good. Like Long&straight said, I hope hitting off the mat didn't hinder my results. I alson learned that if I get a stiff shaft that my ball won't go right on me as much. I was playing with the shafts, and it seemed with the regular flex I was getting a faster swing speed but the ball was going right about 3-6*. But when i put in the stiff, the machine said it was a 0 in the same category. Needless to say I'm excited, I know my game will take a hit at first, but I will bounce back with determination...
That is great dude, I'm happy for you- congrats on the purchase! The second they come in get some pics of them and get out to the golf course and tell us how much you love them! If your game does in fact take a hit at first it won't be for long, you're going to have a hell of a set of irons. I can't wait to hear more from you!

I have to ask, if your goal is long and straight, what made you choose irons that are not geared towards long and straight vs irons that are meant for that?

I have to ask, if your goal is long and straight, what made you choose irons that are not geared towards long and straight vs irons that are meant for that?

I think he was referring to me, my user name. I am not looking for a club for longer distance. We were concerned that we might regret the club purchase after just hitting off the mat. I just hope that once I hit off the grass with the irons I regret the purchase. The pro at the driving range said my swing was more than good enough to play these irons but he also works for Taylor Made.

I think he was referring to me, my user name. I am not looking for a club for longer distance. We were concerned that we might regret the club purchase after just hitting off the mat. I just hope that once I hit off the grass with the irons I regret the purchase. The pro at the driving range said my swing was more than good enough to play these irons but he also works for Taylor Made.

I see. Thanks.

I am very surprised that so many amateur golfers are choosing clubs with this little forgiveness, but I think a lot of it reverts back to what we like to see in our bags compared to others. There is an interview on our home page with a famous club maker that talks a lot about this.

i'm by no means a long hitter. I was just saying that I hoped the mat didn't hinder my results. I know it will take some getting used to when getting new irons. But I'm willing to put in the effort. If they don't work out, then they don't work out. No big deal.

I see. Thanks.

I am very surprised that so many amateur golfers are choosing clubs with this little forgiveness, but I think a lot of it reverts back to what we like to see in our bags compared to others. There is an interview on our home page with a famous club maker that talks a lot about this.

I fully understand what you are saying here. But for me I tried 10-12 other clubs before I decided on the TM MB. For me it came down to what I hit well with my swing and accuracy. Again I am coming from knock off clubs that are 16 years old. Any club I hit was going to feel better. I made shure i hit everything that was available to me. It had nothing to do with who else is hitting this club.

It had nothing to do with who else is hitting this club.

I would never insinuate that. I do think, again it is strictly my opinion and not geared towards anybody, that people like the perception of having blades in their bag. When hitting them well it gives them the perception that they are a better player and when struggling they have the anti-forgiveness to fall back on. Again, strictly my take on the equipment industry as a whole.

I would never insinuate that. I do think, again it is strictly my opinion and not geared towards anybody, that people like the perception of having blades in their bag. When hitting them well it gives them the perception that they are a better player and when struggling they have the anti-forgiveness to fall back on. Again, strictly my take on the equipment industry as a whole.

Complety agree with you here!!

Unfortunately I myself am guilty of this.....although I never use it as an excuse.

Back