TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC Review Thread

AllDAY that's awesome. I hope you carry the SIM play over onto the real course.

Gus congrats on the great day!

Allday I am excited to read your thoughts once you get these outside. It is outside where I feel these clubs shine. The turf interaction is superb. I found that a couple of times I hit the ball a bit fat, yet these clubs just slice through the ground and I wasnt penalized as much as normally would have. I am such a fan of these clubs!

I held these for the first time today at Golf Town.
Goodness those heads are tiny! I don't think I could hit a basketball with them.

shot an 83 with these on Friday. Saturday was rained out and yesterday being the holiday I didn't get a chance to play. I really hit them pretty solid overall. I had a toe shot that came out low on the 10th hole, but surprisingly it held it's line and hit on the front edge of the green. Since it wasn't struck well it had absolutely no holding power whatsoever and ended up in the back bunker. My favortie iron shot of the day was a 6 iron on the 18th hole from 178 to the front edge and I hit a nice medium trajectory shot that hit in the middle of the green and settled about 10 feet from its pitch mark.

A TM rep whispered (not really) in my ear that my 3-6 TP MC irons arrive tomorrow. Will. Break. Speeding. Laws. When. Leaving. Work.

I'm putting these sticks to work in league play this week. I haven't been out for a couple weeks so we will see how it goes. Hopefully the rain holds off the next couple days to allow me a chance to get reacquainted before it actually matters what I shoot.

A TM rep whispered (not really) in my ear that my 3-6 TP MC irons arrive tomorrow. Will. Break. Speeding. Laws. When. Leaving. Work.

COngrats Pete! I know you are going to love these!

I held these for the first time today at Golf Town.
Goodness those heads are tiny! I don't think I could hit a basketball with them.

Not that bad are they? I bought a set of these along w/ my TP CB's to see which I like best and they seem to be on par, if not a smidge larger than others in their class.

Thats awesome Pete. I am really looking forward to your thoughts on these irons- as you are obviously a very discerning golfer!

Thats awesome Pete. I am really looking forward to your thoughts on these irons- as you are obviously a very discerning golfer!

I've obviously already hit them a bit (when I got fitted) but they'll have their baptism of fire quite early. Tournament on 7600 yard course friday-sunday? I predict...LONG IRONS!

I've obviously already hit them a bit (when I got fitted) but they'll have their baptism of fire quite early. Tournament on 7600 yard course friday-sunday? I predict...LONG IRONS!

And that is the difference between you and me... I would be hitting a ton of wedges!

Driver-3W-Gwedge into the par 4's and Driver-3w-3w-Gwedge into the par 5's.

Well, I'll probably have to do that when the wind is in my face, it's a links course so there will be plenty of wind.

Anyways, I'll put them in the bag right away. I probably would even if I didn't get two practice days with them. My X-Forgeds and TP MBs now are so different it's nauseating. Difference in feel, look, trajectory, the shafts (Project X 6.0 vs DG S300), grips, everything. The X-Forged iron looks like a game improvement iron next to the MBs, it's kinda funny.

I hit RXGUS 7 iron and 6 iron in the mc last week; I was really impressed.

Not a. Real testing- only maybe 5 each on the range but I had perfect ballflight and decent distance.

I loved the feel off the center of the face; definitely not something im used too with the nikes.

Going to have to get a real workout at the demo day to make a decision.

Hey dr teeth-that's a sweet setup. (skimalert). When you went to the kingdom did they set you into thatbag; and grip tape setup too? Or is thatyoucustomizing yourself?

I hit RXGUS 7 iron and 6 iron in the mc last week; I was really impressed.

Not a. Real testing- only maybe 5 each on the range but I had perfect ballflight and decent distance.

I loved the feel off the center of the face; definitely not something im used too with the nikes.

Going to have to get a real workout at the demo day to make a decision.

Hey dr teeth-that's a sweet setup. (skimalert). When you went to the kingdom did they set you into thatbag; and grip tape setup too? Or is thatyoucustomizing yourself?

No, that was exactly how they suggested it. They watched me hit some iron shots with my old irons and then suggested that I go 2* upright and switch to stiffer shafts. I hit the 6 iron in the MC really well, but struggled with the 4 iron. They handed me the 4 iron in the CB and I hit that much better. The fitter asked what I usually did for grips and I told him that I had just been told that I needed 2 additional grip tapes by the fitter who made my driver. He recommended that I go one more on my right hand, which makes a lot of sense to me as my right hand is slightly larger than my left (on a side note, my driver only has two grip tapes on my right hand and I am seriously thinking about taking the Iomic off so I can make it feel more like the others, I just don't want to ruin the Iomic grip. But it is totally worth the $20 to get everything how I like it). So yep, my entire bag was designed my the TM fitters. I have a R11 3H on its way as well as the Ghost Tour 770, both being made to the specifications of the fitters. It is amazing how much more confident I am in my clubs now that I know that they are fit to me.

PS I am happy to let you try anything you like out when we are in WPB. I know we are playing one of the rounds together.

No, that was exactly how they suggested it. They watched me hit some iron shots with my old irons and then suggested that I go 2* upright and switch to stiffer shafts. I hit the 6 iron in the MC really well, but struggled with the 4 iron. They handed me the 4 iron in the CB and I hit that much better. The fitter asked what I usually did for grips and I told him that I had just been told that I needed 2 additional grip tapes by the fitter who made my driver. He recommended that I go one more on my right hand, which makes a lot of sense to me as my right hand is slightly larger than my left (on a side note, my driver only has two grip tapes on my right hand and I am seriously thinking about taking the Iomic off so I can make it feel more like the others, I just don't want to ruin the Iomic grip. But it is totally worth the $20 to get everything how I like it). So yep, my entire bag was designed my the TM fitters. I have a R11 3H on its way as well as the Ghost Tour 770, both being made to the specifications of the fitters. It is amazing how much more confident I am in my clubs now that I know that they are fit to me.

PS I am happy to let you try anything you like out when we are in WPB. I know we are playing one of the rounds together.

Thanks doc; I may take you up on that as i try to decide my Morgan cup gear

Purchased a set of CB TP w/ Dynalight XP S300 shafts soft stepped toe down 1* and a set of MC TP w/ DG S300 soft stepped and toe down 1*. Bought both for comparison as Roger Dunn will give you 90 days to return if you don't like something. I let them know my intentions and they didn't mind it, so I say why not! I'll have $900 in store credit for whatever I want after I give back one or the other. That's a lot of shoes, clothes, balls, etc.

I've been hitting the MC's, CB's, and MX-300's against one another for a little over a week now. I bought both sets to see which I like best out of the two. (already owned the Mizzys)

Really like the smaller head of the MC's vs the CB's. This is purely a visual thing and doesn't hold a whole lot of weight for a lot of people. It makes a little difference to me.

I have found myself preferring the penetrating medium trajectory that the MC's give me as well. I always thought that I would continue to prefer that sky high ball flight with a soft landing like I get with the CB's. However, I've gotta face the facts that the year round high winds here kill that kind of shot for me.

Forgiveness is good with the MC's as I find them every bit as good, if not better than the MX-300's I have on slightly off center shots. There is a good bit of difference between these and the CB's however when you duff one a little. I'd say a good club worth when you hit one off the toe or high on the face, and a heel or low shot produces a straight worm burner from what I've collected. Good thing that the latter is almost never my type of miss.

Both the CB's and MC's have a little stronger feeling face than the 300's. Best way I can describe it is a soft thwack for the CB's and a crisp click for the MC's. Whereas with the 300's you never even really feel the ball hitting the face with nice centered contact. Both feel great in their own way.

The sole on the CB's tends to slide shallowly (is that a word) through the grass a little more than the MC's as is to be expected. The MC's really cut in and through the turf very nicely. I don't really know which I prefer in this area, but they both feel good to me. Different but good.

I'm leaning toward keeping the MC's only because of the lower ball flight that they provide to cut through these Hawai'ian Tradewinds. If it wasn't for that then the increased forgiveness of the CB's and the higher ball flight would be a hands down winner for me.

Edit: fixed the MB mistake. Wrong abbreviation.

Last edited:
Spoiler
Purchased a set of CB TP w/ Dynalight XP S300 shafts soft stepped toe down 1* and a set of MC TP w/ DG S300 soft stepped and toe down 1*. Bought both for comparison as Roger Dunn will give you 90 days to return if you don't like something. I let them know my intentions and they didn't mind it, so I say why not! I'll have $900 in store credit for whatever I want after I give back one or the other. That's a lot of shoes, clothes, balls, etc.

I've been hitting the MC's, MB's, and MX-300's against one another for a little over a week now. I bought both sets to see which I like best out of the two. (already owned the Mizzys)

Really like the smaller head of the MC's vs the CB's. This is purely a visual thing and doesn't hold a whole lot of weight for a lot of people. It makes a little difference to me.

I have found myself preferring the penetrating medium trajectory that the MC's give me as well. I always thought that I would continue to prefer that sky high ball flight with a soft landing like I get with the CB's. However, I've gotta face the facts that the year round high winds here kill that kind of shot for me.

Forgiveness is good with the MC's as I find them every bit as good, if not better than the MX-300's I have on slightly off center shots. There is a good bit of difference between these and the CB's however when you duff one a little. I'd say a good club worth when you hit one off the toe or high on the face, and a heel or low shot produces a straight worm burner from what I've collected. Good thing that the latter is almost never my type of miss.

Both the MB's and MC's have a little stronger feeling face than the 300's. Best way I can describe it is a soft thwack for the MB's and a crisp click for the MC's. Whereas with the 300's you never even really feel the ball hitting the face with nice centered contact. Both feel great in their own way.

The sole on the CB's tends to slide shallowly (is that a word) through the grass a little more than the MC's as is to be expected. The MC's really cut in and through the turf very nicely. I don't really know which I prefer in this area, but they both feel good to me. Different but good.

I'm leaning toward keeping the MC's only because of the lower ball flight that they provide to cut through these Hawai'ian Tradewinds. If it wasn't for that then the increased forgiveness of the CB's and the higher ball flight would be a hands down winner for me.

Do you have the MB's too?

It is outside where I feel these clubs shine. The turf interaction is superb.

Couldn't have said it better.

I had a chance to finally take my MC's out to the course on Saturday morning. The course was soaked from the rain the night before, and almost everywhere was mush. I thought that I was going to hate hitting iron shots as my previous shovels just didn't glide through the turf let alone rain soaked turf. The MCs CUT through the turf leaving me with nice even divots. Whatever they did with the leading edge on the clubs is wonderful.

I love these clubs even more now. I really don't want to hit them off the mats anymore, unfortunately the grass tees at my range won't be open for a couple of weeks.

Can't wait to get back on the course.

Couldn't have said it better.

I had a chance to finally take my MC's out to the course on Saturday morning. The course was soaked from the rain the night before, and almost everywhere was mush. I thought that I was going to hate hitting iron shots as my previous shovels just didn't glide through the turf let alone rain soaked turf. The MCs CUT through the turf leaving me with nice even divots. Whatever they did with the leading edge on the clubs is wonderful.

I love these clubs even more now. I really don't want to hit them off the mats anymore, unfortunately the grass tees at my range won't be open for a couple of weeks.

Can't wait to get back on the course.

I haven't even dared to hit off the mats with my babies. Luckily one of the local ranges opened their grass tees on Friday.

I am loving all the MCness going on around here! For everybody that got them recently, what are you favorite and least favorite things about the irons?

Favorite: The feel and balance of the club as I am swinging it

Least favorite: loss of distance on a miss high on the club face.

I am loving all the MCness going on around here! For everybody that got them recently, what are you favorite and least favorite things about the irons?

Not that I've gotten them recently, but I'll chime in anyways....

Most favorite: Feel/Sound, Feedback, turf interaction and ball flight.
Let me expound on the Feedback a little bit. You can feel in your hands every slight mis hit you make. I'm talking when you hit the ball 1/4 inch towards the toe, you can feel it. I think this is a nice tool for working on your swing on the range. You really know when you've caught it perfect versus nearly perfect.

Least favorite:
Mis hits high on the face. Lose significant distance, plus chunky shots dig deep due to the sharp edge (on well struck shots, the leading edge is bliss).

Favorite: ball flight and consistency

Least favorite: the feel of a poorly struck shot ball

Favorite: These clubs are accurate! They feel and sound great, and they have a great ball flight. Oh yeah, the turf interaction.

Less Favorite: Haven't found any less favorite yet. These clubs are more forgiving than the old Titleist DCIs I was playing.

Favorite: These clubs are accurate! They feel and sound great, and they have a great ball flight. Oh yeah, the turf interaction.

Less Favorite: Haven't found any less favorite yet. These clubs are more forgiving than the old Titleist DCIs I was playing.

wow, you had some pretty classic clubs there Doc.

Spot On!

Back