Recent content by Mandolinman

1. Mandolinman

All Rounds Should Be Four Hours or Less

Currently only at Ripon. Never played Rudding. Was a member at Knaresborough and Oakdale.
  2. Mandolinman

Who’s with me? Hitting off mats is the worst.

I don't mind mats. But I also don't mind the flag in. There is no way you could hit off the grass where I live....at this time of the year you would just slowly sink into the ground.
  3. Mandolinman

All Rounds Should Be Four Hours or Less

4 hours, and maybe a little over is normal in the Harrogate area I think. I've been a member at 3 local courses, a slow round is maybe 4:15 and I can live with that. If I were back in the US I probably wouldn't be playing. First thing in the morning was ok, but I had a buddy I played with that...
  4. Mandolinman

The 60 and over Thread

Maybe other countries don't complain as much?....;)
  5. Mandolinman

The Official Banter Away Thread

I've lived out of the US most of my life. The only sports team I root for is the Seattle Mariners.....I'm getting depressed already and the season just began:(
  6. Mandolinman

What did you shoot today?

I can only wish. Comp cancelled yet again for today....lots of rain again. No golf course in the area is open.....and most of the country. Sure wish we could give some water to somebody who needs it....we had a dry June last year, and it has rained way too much since.
  7. Mandolinman

The 60 and over Thread

Luckily, my problem isn't really "pain". More of bad discomfort. 2 bulging discs in 2011 which eventually got better, but still lingering effects. Standing (golf) makes it worse and I get steadily more uncomfortable and stiffer as the round goes. I start off with 2 Ibuprofen and 2 paracetamols...
  8. Mandolinman

The 60 and over Thread

I had an inversion table for a few years after a couple of bulging discs. I don't think it "cured" the issue, but it always felt better for a few hours after using it. Eventually gave it to my wife's son since our house is too small to have it sitting around in the way. Started in with...
  9. Mandolinman

Are spiked shoes necessary anymore?

The courses around here almost require spikes if you don't want to fall over. I see some people with spikeless, but at this time of the year it is still a bog on most courses....especially this year. If I go out with a clean pair of shoes (not often) the shoes will be covered and there will be...
  10. Mandolinman

An unspoken golf rule that needs to change tomorrow: "Hole-In-One golfer having to buy everyone else drinks!"

Around where I am, it's usually just buying a decent bottle of whiskey (evidently the ladies usually go with gin) and putting it on the bar. I got my first HIO this last Fall, I don't mind the cost of one bottle. My rule is that I don't buy drinks for other people and I don't let others buy...
  11. Mandolinman

Do you 6 hybrid?

I've been playing a 6+7h for a while now.....just for the height issue mentioned. I presently go D-5w-9w-11w-6h-7h- 8/9/pw Eleven hybrids- 3 wedges-putter.
  12. Mandolinman

How much are your yearly Golf Membership dues?

£1030 for a senior (about ($1300). The course is one of the cheaper in the area.
  13. Mandolinman

2024 Better You Fitness Thread

Just into kettlebells the last 6 weeks or so. Just got a 28kg for 2 hand swings. Stick to the 20kg for one hand swings and other things I don't want to get hurt doing.
  14. Mandolinman

6 hr round

When playing in the US I was usually going out as early as possible in the summer. When playing with a buddy of mine he didn't like to get up early so a 10am start was about as early as it would get.....5hr rounds weren't unusual. If that was normal where I live.....I'd stop playing golf. 4.5hrs...
Back