2024 Better You Fitness Thread

It's an arbitrary number, if I remember correctly, it had something to do with miles walked in a day and the average amount of steps that would take, something like that. I could also be completely wrong, lol.
That makes sense, though. I googled it, nothing really stood out as a reason as why it became the "standard." Some said it equated to roughly 5 miles, and that's how it stuck.

Im going to have to up my game if I want to hit 20k a day.
I don't think I get 20k when walking 18. No way in hell I'm getting it during the work day haha

The only time I have hit 20K in a day is the PGA Show.
Yeah, I can recall only a handful of times hitting 20k, one of them being when we had to evacuate one of the nursing homes in St. Pete for one of the hurricanes and I was all over the place. No chance I can replicate those kind of steps on a regular basis.

20k was usually a theme park kinda day, or walk the course and then.. uh.. walk more or go somewhere. I go for 10k and embrace that

I did 20k steps or better four times and 36k steps once during the 2022 THP December 300k Step Challenge :)

That 36k day meant about 20 miles. Did it in four 5-mile walks, IIRC.

I did 20k steps or better four times and 36k steps once during the 2022 THP December 300k Step Challenge :)

That 36k day meant about 20 miles. Did it in four 5-mile walks, IIRC.
That's a lotta steppin'.

I went to the gym after I dropped my daughter off at school this morning. Wasn't feeling it and left after 10 minutes of warming up on the treadmill. I felt super guilty for not doing anything and just did a 20-minute boxing class on Peleton. Was fun and I still had a little bit left so I did a 15-minute 20/10 tabata. I'm feeling good now and really happy I didn't take the day off.

I went to the gym after I dropped my daughter off at school this morning. Wasn't feeling it and left after 10 minutes of warming up on the treadmill. I felt super guilty for not doing anything and just did a 20-minute boxing class on Peleton. Was fun and I still had a little bit left so I did a 15-minute 20/10 tabata. I'm feeling good now and really happy I didn't take the day off.
Those days happen, some days you just dont feel it. Good job on sticking with it and getting in some work!

That’s a damn good day right there Josh

Dips are underrated for chest development IMHO. Sort of like when everyone is on the range & the practice green is empty. I’ve seen mucho gainzs since incorporating dips into my chest days.

Question for you gym regulars- I have been working out for years with minimal issues, and about a month ago I experienced sciatica issues with my left leg. It was pretty painful to walk, so, assuming I overdid something in the gym, I backed off for about a week or ten days, reducing volume etc. I could not pinpoint what caused the issue. There was a pain in my left hip/buttock that radiates down my leg all the way to my foot. I could not think of anything I had done or over done to cause the problem. My only guess was I had worked up to doing 3 sets of 50 leg raises on the captain's chair, so I stopped those for a bit. The issue resolved itself after about 2 weeks and I can now walk normally without one foot flopping and there is absolutely no pain. So today i wanted to test out the leg lift theory, so I did 3 sets of 30 with no pain or after effects. Any ideas/suggestions?
The pain was not fun.

Question for you gym regulars- I have been working out for years with minimal issues, and about a month ago I experienced sciatica issues with my left leg. It was pretty painful to walk, so, assuming I overdid something in the gym, I backed off for about a week or ten days, reducing volume etc. I could not pinpoint what caused the issue. There was a pain in my left hip/buttock that radiates down my leg all the way to my foot. I could not think of anything I had done or over done to cause the problem. My only guess was I had worked up to doing 3 sets of 50 leg raises on the captain's chair, so I stopped those for a bit. The issue resolved itself after about 2 weeks and I can now walk normally without one foot flopping and there is absolutely no pain. So today i wanted to test out the leg lift theory, so I did 3 sets of 30 with no pain or after effects. Any ideas/suggestions?
The pain was not fun.
I’ve been dealing with that pain since January 2021. Left foot is numb off and on throughout most days. I do believe I found my back issues related to my poor form deadlifting.

The pain was not fun.
All of this follows into the "I'm not a doctor" and "typically, based on my experience"

The piriformis is a tiny little muscle that runs through your ass, right on top of the sciatica nerve. The piriformis is a little muscle that's easy to piss off. When the piriformis gets pissed off and inflamed, it pinches that nerve.

It is a muscle that aids in external rotation of the femur. Leg raises include some external rotation of the femur as the legs come up. And that repeated motion may tire the little guy out causing it to get pissed off and inflamed. If you try to keep your thighs parallel as you raise them up, your piriformis is trying to externally rotate the femur, but the stronger muscles will win out and that pisses off the little guy.

All of this follows into the "I'm not a doctor" and "typically, based on my experience"

The piriformis is a tiny little muscle that runs through your ass, right on top of the sciatica nerve. The piriformis is a little muscle that's easy to piss off. When the piriformis gets pissed off and inflamed, it pinches that nerve.

It is a muscle that aids in external rotation of the femur. Leg raises include some external rotation of the femur as the legs come up. And that repeated motion may tire the little guy out causing it to get pissed off and inflamed. If you try to keep your thighs parallel as you raise them up, your piriformis is trying to externally rotate the femur, but the stronger muscles will win out and that pisses off the little guy.
This is what I deal with. Best way to get it un-pissed off?

This is what I deal with. Best way to get it un-pissed off?
Eat a little more, sleep a little more, take some NSAIDs, and do your best to keep lifting. Motion is lotion.

To really tackle the piriformis pissant head on, get a lacrosse ball and sit the side of your ass on it until it hurts and then try to put as much of your weight on that ball. You're going to want to cry, but stay on it and remember your Mrs birthed a bunch of kids. After a bit, the muscle will release.

10k kettle challenge, cut my time in half in only 4 days. Also heavy power upper body today.

Eat a little more, sleep a little more, take some NSAIDs, and do your best to keep lifting. Motion is lotion.

To really tackle the piriformis pissant head on, get a lacrosse ball and sit the side of your ass on it until it hurts and then try to put as much of your weight on that ball. You're going to want to cry, but stay on it and remember your Mrs birthed a bunch of kids. After a bit, the muscle will release.
I have a ball like that, I used to use it a ton, but got lazy about it. Need to throw it in the gym bag and use it again.

I have a ball like that, I used to use it a ton, but got lazy about it. Need to throw it in the gym bag and use it again.
I've only found that little thing useful when something needs releasing. Other than that, it's great for pleasure from pain.

Yesterday:

Trap Bar Deadlift: 195x5x3
Chest Fly (cable): 45x12x2
Lateral Raise/Rear Delt Pull Superset (cable): 45x12/45x12, 45x10/45x8
Back Extension: 50x12, 50x8
Shoulder External Rotation (cable): 50x12x2
Reverse Wood Chop (cable): 65x12, 60x12

Raised everything and hit the target reps on most, so 21 new PRs.

Yesterday:

Squat: 100x5x1, 95x5x2
Bench: 125x3x5
Pendlay Row: 110x8x3
Reverse Fly: 27.5x10x3
Standing Calf Raise/Skullcrusher Superset: 115x15x2/70x10x2

Squats reduced by 30 lbs. I discovered my form was really bad. So yesterday's squat session was all about getting my form right and squatting for depth.

I don't expect to make many, if any, gains for a while, being as I'm back on a calorie deficit to lose fat.

Chest day completed, today was an absolute bear. Just had zero motivation, but I got it all done eventually.

Back and biceps this morning. I’ll do the kettlebell challenge tonight.

Back