2024 Better You Fitness Thread

gkeller813

#UsGotThis
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Back for the 5th year (wow can't believe it's been that long already)!! Some of us have been working on our fitness the last year in the 2023 thread, and I've found it enjoyable and very motivating, so I wanted to put a place out there where we can discuss our plans for a better, healthier lifestyle heading into 2024. I've really gotten back into it, after falling off late in the summer and thru Thanksgiving. I've been really working on getting at least 20 minutes of a HIIT work out in per day, and I feel so much better. So, let's keep moving if you're doing something already, and hopefully bring some new THPers along!

What are you doing now? Where do you want to be by the end of 2024? Discuss it with us as we continue our journey! Jump in with your goals, or just follow along, or ask questions, so we can all work together towards a better you for 2024!

A special thanks to all those who have been in the 2023 week in and week out, and who will be in this year again!!

Added by @GolferGal --> 2023 Thread can be found here https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/index.php?threads/2023-better-you-fitness-thread.8947713/

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m at the gym as we speak! Don’t stop. Found out Friday I get to stay off my cholesterol meds for good! Let’s go folks! Don’t wait till 2024 and let’s get it!

I’m at the gym as we speak! Don’t stop. Found out Friday I get to stay off my cholesterol meds for good! Let’s go folks! Don’t wait till 2024 and let’s get it!
Agreed, no better time than the present if you haven't already!

Good for you. And stay off the cholestorel meds. Its way overblown

Hello all, I'm 40 years old and weigh 87kg, I have lost 10kg since July this year purely from diet alone. My aim is to get down to 85kg by 1 April 2024.

I've recently started running, and am following the Couch to 5k program via an app. I've never been able to run for long distances. I've always been terrible at it. Even when I was in my fitness "prime" in my early 20's playing AFL football, endurance never came to me naturally. Rather I'd rely on short, sharp bursts.

I'm a few sessions into my program and am really enjoying it. It starts off quite gradual (run 1 minute, walk 1.5 minutes), but even these early sessions had me panting lol.

Any other newbie runners out there?

2023 was just about getting stronger and staying at ideal weight. In 2024 I plan to really lean out and work on speed.

Wanted to bump this one back up for everyone!

Hello all, I'm 40 years old and weigh 87kg, I have lost 10kg since July this year purely from diet alone. My aim is to get down to 85kg by 1 April 2024.

I've recently started running, and am following the Couch to 5k program via an app. I've never been able to run for long distances. I've always been terrible at it. Even when I was in my fitness "prime" in my early 20's playing AFL football, endurance never came to me naturally. Rather I'd rely on short, sharp bursts.

I'm a few sessions into my program and am really enjoying it. It starts off quite gradual (run 1 minute, walk 1.5 minutes), but even these early sessions had me panting lol.

Any other newbie runners out there?
Running is absolutely awful. If it’s not from a bear, attacker, or after the ice cream truck, what am I even doing out there? :(

We gotta few weeks left of the 2023 thread.
You mean we're supposed to continue thru the holidays, and not just pick up on Jan 1st? :unsure:😂

Deadlifts tonight. Beltless set of 5. Went nicely.

I am just going to dive in to 2024. 2023 was tough because of a back and foot problem. I started Fit For Golf 3 weeks ago and am feeling stronger already. Starting after Christmas I am going to start working on not stuffing my pie hole as much. I am only looking to lose 10-15 pounds so that should be manageable.

I am just going to dive in to 2024. 2023 was tough because of a back and foot problem. I started Fit For Golf 3 weeks ago and am feeling stronger already. Starting after Christmas I am going to start working on not stuffing my pie hole as much. I am only looking to lose 10-15 pounds so that should be manageable.
I like Mike Carroll's stuff. He 's even used my fat ass as an example of what to do in the gym

I’m not saying today was leg day, because I would skip that all day every day.

But if it were, I would say my hamstrings do not enjoy lightweight high rep anything.

I’m not saying today was leg day, because I would skip that all day every day.

But if it were, I would say my hamstrings do not enjoy lightweight high rep anything.
Right there with you. Tomorrow is leg day and my goal is to not fall down the stairs afterwards when my legs feel like jello and don't want to do what my brain tells them to do.

Right there with you. Tomorrow is leg day and my goal is to not fall down the stairs afterwards when my legs feel like jello and don't want to do what my brain tells them to do.
Thankfully, I don’t have that issue. My legs would never let that happen, because I treat them well and they repay the favor.

You can’t have sore legs from leg day if you just never do leg day

IMG_7965.gif

Back for the 5th year (wow can't believe it's been that long already)!! Some of us have been working on our fitness the last year in the 2023 thread, and I've found it enjoyable and very motivating, so I wanted to put a place out there where we can discuss our plans for a better, healthier lifestyle heading into 2024. I've really gotten back into it, after falling off late in the summer and thru Thanksgiving. I've been really working on getting at least 20 minutes of a HIIT work out in per day, and I feel so much better. So, let's keep moving if you're doing something already, and hopefully bring some new THPers along!

What are you doing now? Where do you want to be by the end of 2024? Discuss it with us as we continue our journey! Jump in with your goals, or just follow along, or ask questions, so we can all work together towards a better you for 2024!

A special thanks to all those who have been in the 2023 week in and week out, and who will be in this year again!!
Didn’t see this thread until tonight. Thanks for starting it up again.

I like Mike Carroll's stuff. He 's even used my fat ass as an example of what to do in the gym

I am not in a gym at the moment. I am working out at home with dumbells. I haven't been a member at a gym since Covid but I am thinking of going back so I can have somewhere to swing the Stack also. That is some serious weight you are moving.

I am not in a gym at the moment. I am working out at home with dumbells. I haven't been a member at a gym since Covid but I am thinking of going back so I can have somewhere to swing the Stack also. That is some serious weight you are moving.
Thank you.

Awesome. Maybe I should use blocks, that is where my back seems most sensitive the floor to first 4 inches off the ground.

Awesome. Maybe I should use blocks, that is where my back seems most sensitive the floor to first 4 inches off the ground.
You should do more leg work. :oops:

I was doing a cycle of training my deadlift by breaking it into pieces. I would train off the floor to just above the knees, then the next week train the top with rack pulls. I was training that sensitive part quote vigorously.

You should do more leg work. :oops:
I’ve found it’s my upper back that’s preventing me from getting heavier on deadlifts. It bows and leads to bad form which rolls down hill to my lower back

I need to find a new gym that has the med balls I can slam into the wall. That was incredible for my golf game.

I was doing a cycle of training my deadlift by breaking it into pieces. I would train off the floor to just above the knees, then the next week train the top with rack pulls. I was training that sensitive part quote vigorously.
Wagon wheels are great for this if you don’t have the boxes.

Back