2009 LPGA Safeway Classic

I had a chance at midday to speak to Mr. Wie. I just wanted to tell how that went. I approached him at 9 greenside, introduced myself, remarked on how well she played at Solheim, and asked if Michelle was planning to play in the CVS(nee Long's) in Sept. He was very nice. He appreciated the compliment, but said they'd not deceided yet. I was left with a much more favorable impression of him than I'd had. Ha - great minds think alike - Spouse asked Mrs. Wei as well, and got the same answer.

Ricey, you are so cool.

W.T.F?!?!?!

about 40 minutes into the coverage (I had to pause to get of tech support for my computer) ESPN Classic just suddenly switches to the 2009 Capital One Bowl.
No warning (just like the fact that the LPGA was even going to be on ESPN Classic.) So I got to see almost no coverage today. What kind of half-assed network is ESPN running?!?!

If the LPGA purchased air time, they should be demanding a refund.

I was at the tournament until about 3pm. FIL and I pretty much just hung around the pratice tee and green and stood just outside the ropes on the 18th, with a break for lunch.

Weather was great until about 1:15pm or so, then it poured for about 15-20 minutes. Katherine Hull's group had just finished at that time (I think, because she was walking back to the clubhouse).

This being my first pro golf tournament to see live, I was impressed by the ladies' ballstriking. Watched several of the ladies hit long, beautiful shots. Putting seemed average, perhaps because of the iffy conditions of the greens.

I was most surprised by the size of the players. Ai Miyzato is tiny! Both Michelle Wie and Anna Nordquist looked really tall. Saw a lot of my favorites on the practice green: Michelle and Anna N., Anna Rawson, Vicky Hurst, Stacy P., Ai, J Ro, Laura Diaz, Lorena and Erica Blasberg, among others.

We waited on the 18th until the Gulbis/Christina Kim/Dunn group was done. Natalie was very gracious and took pics with quite a few folks before she went to the autograph tent. Christina was on her smartphone (probably Twittering) as soon as she got off the green. She took a few pics with fans as well. I was really impressed with how these two ladies handled all the requests and how they never stopped smiling. They were two of the more popular players, evidenced by the very long line at the autograph tent.

It was a fun (albeit wet) day.

W.T.F?!?!?!

about 40 minutes into the coverage (I had to pause to get of tech support for my computer) ESPN Classic just suddenly switches to the 2009 Capital One Bowl.
No warning (just like the fact that the LPGA was even going to be on ESPN Classic.) So I got to see almost no coverage today. What kind of half-assed network is ESPN running?!?!

If the LPGA purchased air time, they should be demanding a refund.

They switched to ESPN2. The final 65 minutes or so were on ESPN2, where it was originally scheduled. Until reading your post I had no idea ESPN Classic had carried the beginning of the telecast. Several times I checked ESPN2 past 5 PM. They were carrying NFL Live at 5 PM, then when that concluded they had a soccer highlights show. I never saw a note on the screen, saying LPGA was on ESPN Classic. Then they did not stay beyond the 7 PM scheduled end.

Good thing I was primarily interested in the Travers telecast or I would really have been ticked. Obviously ESPN doesn't care about the LPGA because it's a lame dame situation, as far as their ties.

On edit: I read on another site that a WNBA game on ESPN2 went into overtime. They switched LPGA coverage to ESPN Classic. Makes no sense why it took so long to change back.

Last edited:
Well, it was a workout on the course today. Spouse and I grabbed breakfast, watched a bit of the practicing, then split - me to the 10th tee, he to the lst. My group made it to the 15th hole before what began as a spring-like shower became a heavy and unceasing downpour. Ugh! Seems like all of us - players and fans - believed the Weather Channel. What were we thinking? To make matters worse, water bagan to pool on the 16th green and a grounds crew had to be called to clear it. This procedure took about 45 minutes, clearly irritating Michelle Redmond whose play on that hole had been interrupted. On the plus side, Dorothy played a better round, I finally got to see the back 9, and (when the rain clouds cleared) we were treated to an aerial show by the Airforce Thunderbirds. Very fun.

Speaking of fun, during one cloudburst, I made a side trip to the Safeway 19th hole and sampled some of the PNW's finest beer, wines and spirits. A very popluar place. I then sat in the stands at 18, watching several groups finish. There was lots of applause for good approaches, of course, but also for fan favorites - MW, Suzann, Helen, etc. They've set the stands up nicely so that there is plenty of room for fans to sit or stand around the green, as well as sit in the stands. This should make it easy for more folks to see the conclusion tomorrow.

Spouse and I met up at the 18th green after Lorena had completed her round. Spouse reports that she was still battling a cold. Her fans were a little less in number than usual, so walking with her 3some was a lot easier. He spoke briefly with her fiance who is very friendly, but a bit more reserved than she is.

We're just making our plan of action for tomorrow. Likely, he'll follow his favorite while I follow the lead group. In spite of the rain, it's been a great trip.

Thanks so much for the updates, Ricey!

And Bonk, Ai is teeny tiny. I was her standard bearer at the Sybase last year. I felt like I could just pick her up and kiss her on the cheeks, like I do with my nine year old.

Paige MacKenzie shot a scorching round of 7-under today to leap onto the leaderboard (T6 currently).

Michelle Wie is -5 today through 14 (T6; -10), but still trails leader Suzann Pettersen, who is also having a great day (-5 through 10 holes), by three shots.

I think that we are hopefully seeing a birth of the Suzann vs Wie competitive rivalry. That along with Nordqvist, we could possibly be looking at the 3 greats going into next year. Who would have thought Ochoa would drop off like she has.

Can somebody please explain why they have a par 4 that is 220 yards?

Judy just said something interesting. Those who speed up and play quicker, normally play better.

Last edited:
Wow, playing with Michelle Redman must be a joy. Not only does she back off on just about every shot, she is ridiculously slow! Calling for an official despite everybody disagreeing about it being a ball mark. Just hit it.

They just said that it is very rare for a player not to go with 2 competitors on issues like this. Suzann and Natalie were just shaking their heads.

WTF Michelle Redman and the "ball mark" on a 2 foot putt???

Dottie just said something interesting. Those who speed up and play quicker, normally play better.

Did you mean Judy Rankin? I haven't heard Dottie today. I'll admit that I haven't been paying as close attention as I normally do though. (i.e., I didn't hear Judy or anyone else say it either.)

What was that word that Pettersen just screamed? It sorta sounded like a word I recognize, but sorta not.

I corrected it right before you posted it and said Judy.

I corrected it right before you posted it and said Judy.

Hah! And I was posting about Michelle Redman the same time you were. :D

That was ridiculous. I am now actively rooting against her.

I think it was what you recognize.

Maybe the Norwegian version? It started out familiar, but then ended with an "owwwww!" sound.

pettersentagheuer.jpg

Watching an intense person like Suzann just laughing and shaking her head, you have to think it was truly absurd. Redman makes O'Hair look fast.

They just showed Hur on the putting green with her friend holding a champagne bottle. I guess they might want to shelve that for now. Playoff coming. 3 way. Pettersen drains a 12 footer to get in.

What is up with the ESPN camera people? They don't seem to know how to deal with backlighting.

So, in addition to no HD, no widescreen, graphics all over the screen . . . this tournament, the players have all been black blobs because the camera people don't know how to compensate for the sun in the background.

Can't wait for the LPGA to shift to Golf Channel.

What is up with the ESPN camera people? They don't seem to know how to deal with backlighting.

So, in addition to no HD, no widescreen, graphics all over the screen . . . this tournament, the players have all been black blobs because the camera people don't know how to compensate for the sun in the background.

Can't wait for the LPGA to shift to Golf Channel.

I think your thoughts on ESPN are the same as mine on Christie Kerr. While they do some good (very little), they just annoy too much to get over it.

I am actively rooting against Redman. She is flat out annoying, seems selfish, and slow as all hell.

I am actively rooting for Pettersen, I should probably apologize for that before she tees off.

I am actively rooting for Pettersen, I should probably apologize for that before she tees off.

Why? I'm rooting for Suzann too.

I like her a lot more since she's started to get her temper under control.

Could Redman have taken any longer to hit that 7 wood?

Back