2014 Morgan Cup - Qualifying Criteria

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP has been getting quite a few emails and private messages about the qualifying criteria for the 2014 Morgan Cup and if it will be changing. We are happy to announce some changes that will be taking place for next year's Ultimate Golf Event Period. Keep in mind that these will not be the only changes that are taking place.

For those that are new and may not know what the Morgan Cup is, and why it is considered the Ultimate Golf Event Period, here are all the details of this special event.

Each participant will be sponsored by either Cobra Golf, Cleveland Golf, Callaway Golf, TaylorMade Golf or Bridgestone Golf.
Each participant will receive a 14 club deal, staff bag, apparel and accessories.

Qualifying Criteria
While THP stands for all skill levels of golfers, an event like this must have some limitations. Therefore to qualify for this competition you must be an 18 handicap or better at the time of the event. While we never want to eliminate people based on level of play, this is a broadcasted competition and in the end, that must take precedent. This year all golfers will be required to have an official handicap. It can be through their local club, the USGA, GHIN or any number of places including available right here on THP.

This is only open to THP forum members that are 2014 Albatross Club Members. For more information on the Albatross Club, click here.

You must be 18 years of age or older to be a part of the 2014 Morgan Cup.

If you have not watched the 2013 coverage of this event, we strongly suggest you do so. It can be found on the THP YouTube channel

This is an amateur competition, if you are currently on staff with any companies through sponsorship or endorsement, you will not be able to compete in this event. This includes club professionals or employees that have staff deals through their employment. If you have a question in regards to this, please do not hesitate to ask.

As part of the Morgan Cup, you will be required to make 200 posts per month on the THP Forum. Failure to do so will result in these actions.

1. A warning that you need to pick up the pace.
2. Forfeiture of your spot in the 2013 Morgan Cup.

These posts must be relevant and because of that, anything in the Random & Off Topic section of the site (including all subforums there) will not be counted towards that number. Certainly something could come up and those extreme cases will be handled on a case by case basis. This will be closely monitored and enforced this year.

This criteria is in place for both 2014 hopefuls as well as those members of Team THP. The requirement does not begin until teams are in place and we announce them to the world.

Some Changes
Since there is criteria that involves post count, I think its important to also discuss some changes that will take place to the Morgan Cup participation as a whole.

1. Each participant will have this all spelled out for them once selected that they will have to agree to in order to proceed. To eliminate any questions, we will make sure that every participant knows what is expected of them from the time they are selected.

2. Media Day has changed to Staff Sponsor Day. You can find out about that here.

3. Equipment changes are taking place at the 2014 Morgan Cup. That change has been posted here.

4. Social Media integration will be a part of this event. If selected, you will be required to have a Twitter account and have it open rather than set to private.

Selection Process
Each week contests are going up and each one is a bit different. The contests provide entry for two participants and at the conclusion of all 40 participants being selected, teams will be announced.

Last edited:
I look forward to finding out the selection process. I looked back and saw several video entries and some people went above and beyond what I could even fathom. Social media, no problem, I like to tweet.

The official HCP is a great touch! Like to see some of the changes. I think the 200 post per month should be a given. To not give this event your full attention does it a disservice. I don't think I will be throwing my name in the hat this year, but I cannot wait to see who gets in.

Sounds good! Hopefully I can get into it this year! Will be keeping an eye out for the selection process.

Thanks JB for the information. I look forward to seeing how the process plays out for everyone and the excitement leading up to it.

Videos were fun to watch, but oh so glad they are going away.

Better get myself signed up for an index again. Very cool that I can do it here since I'm not part of a club anymore.

The selection process should be interesting. I enjoyed watching the videos from last year, but I know THP will make it just as memorable.

Some great adjustments to an already incredible event. Love the handicap inclusion, and glad to see the return of activity expectations. I believe Morgan Cup members should be drivers of golf content on this site, and I think that criteria does a nice job of that.

Videos were fun to watch, but oh so glad they are going away.

Better get myself signed up for an index again. Very cool that I can do it here since I'm not part of a club anymore.

I agree Hawk. This will be my first season carrying an actual HCP. Cant wait to work hard and get it as low as I can. Love the changes as well.

Sounds awesome. Get a rush thinking about the coverage from last year!

As always I think these changes will do nothing but improve the process and the MC as a whole.

BOOM! Love it.

As someone who likes structure, I like the changes for this year. Think it's going to make an already great event, that much better.

some very nice changes. Only makes sense now that THP offers handicaps to make an official handicap a requirement. I think the twitter aspect will certainly help drive up curiosity and support for not only the event but for THP as well.

I agree Hawk. This will be my first season carrying an actual HCP. Cant wait to work hard and get it as low as I can. Love the changes as well.

Get ready to be pushed Ricky. I believe this event can take people to heights they never expected with their golf game, and I plan to be in your ear every step of the way as you improve. I'm pumped for that, for you.

cool cool.

let's get this party started.

I like these changes I don't think the post count should be an issue. And keeping a handicap is a good idea as well. Looks like there might be some more hopefuls signing up for the handicap service on THP!

Get ready to be pushed Ricky. I believe this event can take people to heights they never expected with their golf game, and I plan to be in your ear every step of the way as you improve. I'm pumped for that, for you.

I know you will buddy. Prep has already begun. I will be the best golfer I can be in Myrtle. Whether it is enough to win is another thing. Haha

Personally the HCP thing worries me. Is it required to be selected or required by the time of the MC? As a northerner who didn't carry an official HCP last year I'm not sure I can get enough rounds in before the selection process begins/ends. I could get the needed 10 rounds in March/April but the selection could be complete by then.

This is great motivation to get out there and work to get my handicap down from 22 to 18. I have read the posts about last year and it sounds like it was very competitive, yet everyone had a good time. This site just keeps getting better and better.

some very nice changes. Only makes sense now that THP offers handicaps to make an official handicap a requirement. I think the twitter aspect will certainly help drive up curiosity and support for not only the event but for THP as well.

Gonna have to close down my twitter account...haha

Back