2014 THP Bridgestone Championship - PGA National

I got some swings in with it.

Which day? I was out early both days and swinging away but not really looking around much. Too bad I missed it

I opened the box it was in :)

I only hit balls on the range Saturday. And by hit balls I mean I took about 15 swings and then almost killed some people over by the putting green.

maybe for the better, I don't need to be pondering right now and I do love new shiny golfing weapons. I just told the wife I must need new clubs to make me feel better....she just stared at me

I watch it on Sunday KILLING the ball!! Could have been who was attached to it!!..

​CANADAN!!!!!!!

Recap Dos!!!

Recap Dos!!!

Sunday:
Championship Sunday! Up early on Sunday, I mean who could sleep? Went down to breakfast in my PJs and ran into Josh, Hawk and CJ and asked them why they were dressed so nice? (had to be there for that one...)

Went back upstairs, changed into Papa Smurf Blue, headed down met up with Tyler and off we went to the first tee. Watched the first couple of groups tee off, worked on some putting then we headed to the range to warm up. Second day in a row I couldn't figure out the ball machine haha... Tyler was hitting it well and my iron shots were feeling pure. Canadan was there and he had a really nice club that he let me hit. Dan has a beautiful swing, btw...
Off to the first tee to get ready to tee off.

Solid day one finish 3 strokes back of the leaders, had us going out in the 2nd to last pairing, we were paired with Frank - Tequila4Kapp and James - JMan. It was great playing with them, both of them kept it loose and fun for the round, and we had a blast, both of them can really play the game and if not for a few shots here and some unlucky bounces it could have been a different story. I do wish we did a group photo at the Bear Trap. James is awesome really a great guy, and he's going to be a great father to baby Charlotte too, congratulations man! His alter ego Golf Bandito made a quick appearance on 14 as well. That Kronos putter you were gaming was pretty cool as well. Frank, I really enjoyed our conversation and walk up 18, gorgeous course, great setting, it couldn't have been more perfect. Also, you telling me all about the DPCs really ramped up my excitement, so thank you for that!

In terms of talking about the Sunday round, not going to go into a hole by hole, but I will talk about #7 Slightly uphill 173 yds to the Pin Par 3, we played from the Blues, struck it a little flippy but it was on the green and left me with a 25 footer (if it would have rolled another few inches I would have had a 50 footer up hill) sunk the putt for Birdie! Felt so great!

The Bear Trap, was well a Bear... The holes were definitely tough, especially from the Black tees, great challenges though and I can't imagine how the pros feel with full galleries there and the wind swirling, definitely a true test of your nerves, glad we got through it +1 as a team.

What can I say about Tpluff (Tyler)? When I found out I was his partner I was pretty excited, I caught a glimpse of his game in OC and said to myself, wow he can play! Well it's even better when you get a front row seat for 36 holes of beautiful golf, Driver/Wedge golf is really fun to play. Was a great partner the whole weekend, (that's saying a lot since my two other partners MWard and amsmith61 were great as well, dang I love THP) Tyler is not just a great golfer though, but also a great friend, probably the most mature 22 year old you'll ever meet and an overall great guy, and the best part was it was truly a FUN weekend hanging out and playing golf with him, when we weren't laughing at statues, I did enjoy our conversations and the time spent with you.

Before the event we were texting backing and forth and he was sharing some tips with me and we both were keeping each other positive and bouncing ideas off of each other before the Championship. It continued during the Championship, if I hit a bad shot, he was there picking me up and saying next shot, don't worry about it you have the next shot. Like all of the greats he definitely helped me elevate my game. Our motto was "golf your ball" for the weekend and that's what we did and it kept us loose and focused. My favorite golf shot of his was his birdie on #5 on the The Champion course, hit his tee shot left, and he putted (30 footer) in for birdie from the rough to save the hole for us. Tyler if you're ever in Boston, don't be a stranger let's tee it up or grab a drink. Thank you for a great weekend brother.

After the round we headed in, pretty excited that we had just putt up a 71 on The Champion course! I found my fiance and headed back down to the game room for food and the ceremony. When we got down there #Cookie said it looked like we won... I kind of just laughed it off, thinking no way we won, too many other great teams out there, Delaney me asked if we won and I said, no, I don't think so but I guess there is a chance. Sat down for some food and then JB made the announcement and showed everyone the scorecard... I couldn't believe it, it didn't really sink in until later that night, it still hasn't sunk in yet really... from where my game was in OC, I mean even the beginning of Sept, this is truly incredible, so surreal... the work and practice has paid off, adding the Big Bertha driver has been a revelation for me off the tee... I had a great partner...

I do want to apologize to everyone in the game room later for all of the flying ping pong balls...

It was great meeting, new faces, Rob, I'm glad that you had a blast at your first THP event, I can tell it won't be your last. Sposey90210 great seeing you again, always a blast hanging and talking with you, also awesome to learn that your daughter has one of the best names in the world too :).

Really happy to meet new faces and reconnect with old friends. Can't wait to see everyone in 2015!

Just going to throw this out there its so funny looking at these posts now because now I can actually picture people saying what they are typing and its so funny!

Just going to throw this out there its so funny looking at these posts now because now I can actually picture people saying what they are typing and its so funny!

Yep Mike, I think you were there when Sposey90210 and I had this exact conversation.

In terms of talking about the Sunday round, not going to go into a hole by hole, but I will talk about #7 Slightly uphill 173 yds to the Pin Par 3, we played from the Blues, struck it a little flippy but it was on the green and left me with a 25 footer (if it would have rolled another few inches I would have had a 50 footer up hill) sunk the putt for Birdie! Felt so great!

My favorite golf shot of his was his birdie on #5 on the The Champion course, hit his tee shot left, and he putted (30 footer) in for birdie from the rough to save the hole for us. Tyler if you're ever in Boston, don't be a stranger let's tee it up or grab a drink. Thank you for a great weekend brother

Alex is being modest. His putt had to be longer than 25' and it was over a ridge. It wasn't even on my radar that the ball could go in the hole. On #7 Tyler mishit his tee shot and maybe half jokingly dropped to his knees begging for the ball to stay dry. It complied, landing and sticking about a foot from the water on the fringe of the green. Again, it never really occurred to me that he'd actually sink it from there but the old hybrid from the fringe shot did the trick. Two incredible shots. JMan and I started the day tied with Alex and Tyler. Those two great shots were half of a 4 shot swing between our teams on the front 9. The day before vman and CJ graciously told us it was fun watching us play. I felt the same way watching Alex and Tyler on Sunday. They really put on a show.

Alex is being modest. His putt had to be longer than 25' and it was over a ridge. It wasn't even on my radar that the ball could go in the hole. On #7 Tyler mishit his tee shot and maybe half jokingly dropped to his knees begging for the ball to stay dry. It complied, landing and sticking about a foot from the water on the fringe of the green. Again, it never really occurred to me that he'd actually sink it from there but the old hybrid from the fringe shot did the trick. Two incredible shots. JMan and I started the day tied with Alex and Tyler. Those two great shots were half of a 4 shot swing between our teams on the front 9. The day before vman and CJ graciously told us it was fun watching us play. I felt the same way watching Alex and Tyler on Sunday. They really put on a show.

Frank speaks the truth. Alex's putt was more like 35 foot (not taking away from his tee ball, he was the only one dancing!) and until about 10 feet from the hole I was hoping one of us could make a tough par putt. It was also fun watching Jman and T4K play, that's the truth. I've seen James play many times and the display he put on for us was special. Frank also played super well and stepped up when called upon. I just recall the tee shot on #12, I say "Aim at the bunker left of the fairway." So Frank puts it right on line about 15 yards short of the bunker in perfect position in which he made a par when he needed to.

The only reason why I dropped to my knees on that tee shot was disappointment. I thought it was wet for sure. It brought back memories of OC, my partner (Hey Martin!) and I were one par 3 tee shot away from being in contention in that. I didn't want this to happen again and felt like our chances had just gone in the drink like my ball. What a huge swing that last foot of rough provided for us and it set the tone for the round, along with Alex's huge bucket putt on #7 after a bogey.

What can I say about Tpluff (Tyler)? When I found out I was his partner I was pretty excited, I caught a glimpse of his game in OC and said to myself, wow he can play! Well it's even better when you get a front row seat for 36 holes of beautiful golf, Driver/Wedge golf is really fun to play. Was a great partner the whole weekend, (that's saying a lot since my two other partners MWard and amsmith61 were great as well, dang I love THP) Tyler is not just a great golfer though, but also a great friend, probably the most mature 22 year old you'll ever meet and an overall great guy, and the best part was it was truly a FUN weekend hanging out and playing golf with him, when we weren't laughing at statues, I did enjoy our conversations and the time spent with you.

Before the event we were texting backing and forth and he was sharing some tips with me and we both were keeping each other positive and bouncing ideas off of each other before the Championship. It continued during the Championship, if I hit a bad shot, he was there picking me up and saying next shot, don't worry about it you have the next shot. Like all of the greats he definitely helped me elevate my game. Our motto was "golf your ball" for the weekend and that's what we did and it kept us loose and focused. My favorite golf shot of his was his birdie on #5 on the The Champion course, hit his tee shot left, and he putted (30 footer) in for birdie from the rough to save the hole for us. Tyler if you're ever in Boston, don't be a stranger let's tee it up or grab a drink. Thank you for a great weekend brother.

A little bit about the highlighted, then I will go on to talk more about Alex, who was certainly not Off In The Woods last weekend.

We are driving up 13 to our tee shots. I look to the houses on the left and I see someone behind the patio screen tipping their cap at us driving by. So, I go to do the same. Not a second later, I realize I am the biggest dumba$$ on the planet because the person was not moving, it was a STATUE! Had Alex not been so cool about it and laughed with me and not at me (that's what you were doing, right?) I would've been extremely embarrassed. But we laughed and laughed, much to the wonder of James and Frank. We ended up seeing a couple more and Alex got in his shot, "Hey, there's another one of your friends." :beat-up:

Alex, or OITW, was the epitome of a perfect partner. Our games are different, but similar. We think the same, but different. But one thing that wasn't different was our outlook on the entire event and competition involved with it. We did decide to play our games and see where that got us after day 1, which was T-3 and 3 shots back. We knew we had to post a number to compete with #Cookies4Life (great playing btw fellas, you both played your behinds off both days and I wish I could have seen it). Alex described our back and forth exactly how it was, so you can see why he was fantastic to play the weekend with. I cannot thank him enough for being so cool the entire weekend and being the better half of the team. [Speaking of his better half, Delaney, he kicked the ball out of the stadium. She was so cool and great to talk to, I hope she enjoyed the weekend.]
Alex was the consummate THPer/Partner/Friend the entire weekend. Glad we could take home the championship, but even more so that we got to enjoy the time out there together with 2 awesome groups.

So true. THP changes for the better in almost every facet after being a part of an event.

A couple of more random thoughts from the event

- after we tee'd off on Saturday morning Rob looks to me in the cart & says " if I don't hit another golf shot this weekend I'm happy I got off the tee with everyone looking" I could tell he was relieved to get that over with

- during that same round JB looking at me and saying " you've got a good swing. A couple of alignment fixes and you are good" that meant more to me than he realized. I've worked hard to get my game in shape and show up with my best for these events. He has seen a ton of golf swings and that compliment meant a lot.

- witnessing "SuperHawk" walk in a putt half way to the hole. He knew it was going in and walked it in with confidence. I call that the anti-wardy

- Phillip coming into the Bear Trap lounge after a night of country dancing & saying "I don't know what the hell that was, but it wasn't country dancing" he was genuinely upset they were not dancing properly.

- I hit my hybrids about as well as I could have all weekend.

- Hawk's wife getting sassy with me Saturday night when they were leaving and me telling him "good luck with that one tonight"

A couple of more random thoughts from the event

- after we tee'd off on Saturday morning Rob looks to me in the cart & says " if I don't hit another golf shot this weekend I'm happy I got off the tee with everyone looking" I could tell he was relieved to get that over with

- during that same round JB looking at me and saying " you've got a good swing. A couple of alignment fixes and you are good" that meant more to me than he realized. I've worked hard to get my game in shape and show up with my best for these events. He has seen a ton of golf swings and that compliment meant a lot.

- witnessing "SuperHawk" walk in a putt half way to the hole. He knew it was going in and walked it in with confidence. I call that the anti-wardy

- Phillip coming into the Bear Trap lounge after a night of country dancing & saying "I don't know what the hell that was, but it wasn't country dancing" he was genuinely upset they were not dancing properly.

- I hit my hybrids about as well as I could have all weekend.

- Hawk's wife getting sassy with me Saturday night when they were leaving and me telling him "good luck with that one tonight"

True indeed about the tee shot. Pretty much the same on Sunday. Guess I left all my game on those two holes. Ha

Mike, how many times did I say to you over the weekend. "Man that thing was nailed, just a bit off line."

Those hybrids were sick, the one into 18 on Saturday and your second one on 10 on Sunday. Actually it was from no. 9...that's how far it went.

You were a rock to play with. The very few bad shots you did have, you calmly shook off and moved onto the next one.

I did like Phillips rant on Florida dancing. Ha

The Hawk Walk was a classic.

True indeed about the tee shot. Pretty much the same on Sunday. Guess I left all my game on those two holes. Ha

Mike, how many times did I say to you over the weekend. "Man that thing was nailed, just a bit off line."

Those hybrids were sick, the one into 18 on Saturday and your second one on 10 on Sunday. Actually it was from no. 9...that's how far it went.

You were a rock to play with. The very few bad shots you did have, you calmly shook off and moved onto the next one.

I did like Phillips rant on Florida dancing. Ha

The Hawk Walk was a classic.

Funny thing about the 3rd shot into 18 on Saturday I wasn't amped up or anything. We had the wind with us, but didn't think I would fly the green from 183 out with my 23*.

That hybrid on Sunday from #9 fairway was the best I hit. Had to get over the trees & land short of the green and I did it.

Thoughts from PGA National – Part 1

Arrived at PBI Thursday afternoon and proceeded to my offsite hotel about 8 miles from the resort. I immediately regretted waiting too long to get a room at the resort, knowing that there were several THPers already there enjoying one another’s company. I had intended to drive down and meet up with a few people. But, after a bite to eat with a couple of adult beverages, and, then a couple more at my room, I decided that would be a bad idea. There would surely be a few more refreshments at the resort, and, I didn’t want to risk having to call someone to bail me out on Friday morning.

Friday morning I arrived at the resort mid morning after a tour of Palm Beach courtesy of Siri whose directions I was following. That 8 mile drive took over an hour simply because I said PGA National and left off the Resort & Spa. As luck would have it, when I arrived at the front desk, roomie Dawgdaddy was just checking in. We stowed our stuff and set off to our tee time with CAA_Beat (Rob) and Mancest (Roger). After some confusion in the pro shop (precursor of things to come), we teed off on the Palmer Course. The course was about as wet as any course I’ve played in years, having had rain the past two days. It would be listed as a “muddy track”. But, at least we got a chance to see the course we’d playing Saturday morning. Playing with Randy, Rob, and Roger was a real treat, despite the conditions. We didn’t play all that well, but, I’m blaming the wetness. Randy and I are old pals, but, it was the first time meeting Rob and Roger. They are great guys and fun to share a round with and I surely did.

Friday afternoon, after cleaning up, we headed down to the I-Bar to see who we could find. It’s hard to put into words the feelings I get when I first catch sight of guys that have become such good friends over the last few years of attending these outings, so, I won’t even try. I expect that many have also experienced that feeling. The weekend was definitely “on’ at that point. After awhile catching up and enjoying a few pops, groups were off to dinner. Several of us went to Rocco’s Tacos to enjoy some “interesting” Mexican cuisine.

After dinner, most congregated in the Game Room. This was a real bonus, because there was plenty of room for us to gather, and plenty of activities available as well. We took advantage of this for three straight nights, probably much to the chagrin of other guests who couldn’t get access. PGA National Resort and Spa is a great resort, and, I can see why Josh and Morgan wanted to bring a THP event back there. There is plenty to do for everyone, including significant others, and great golf. The accessibility to the Game Room and our ability to get everyone together, (and bring in our own refreshments), made the event even more special.

More later.

That's hurtful!

That reminded me of one. CJ offered a bottle of Fireball to a bunch of SOs who were sitting at a table together chatting. They looked at him like he was the devil and said no. Then Mrs Hawk turned to Mrs MikeG and said "Ah come on, I'll do one if you do one." She did and they did. Thereafter I referred to Mrs Hawk as The Instigator.

Met a "friend" this morning for coffee and bagel. Told him about the trip and all the great things about it.

He basically tried to make a negative out of everything I said about the trip.

From saying "I don't know why you would go on such a trip in your condition. You have no chance of playing well"

To also not believing some of the great scores and golf I told him others played. Basically saying since they were guys "from the internet" they must not have played real golf"

I basically got up and left. I wasn't going to let his negative attitude ruin what was a such a great event.

Why do some people have to be so negative?

I might need to reevaluate my friends well at least one of them.

Met a "friend" this morning for coffee and bagel. Told him about the trip and all the great things about it.

From saying "I don't know why you would go on such a trip in your condition. You have no chance of playing well"

To also not believing some of the great scores and golf I told him others played. Basically saying since they were guys "from the internet" they must not have played real golf"

I basically got up and left. I wasn't going to let his negative attitude ruin what was a such a great event.

I wouldn't sweat it Rob. Some people see others having fun and enjoying his great game and jealousy creeps in. Until they experience THP or a THP event the doubters and haters will exist.

That's crap Rob. Couple things... People don't know till the "live it"

Friends don't do that.

And jealousy is a nasty B!tch for some people.

Back