2021 weight loss and nutrition thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been almost 3 months since my last diet soda. After more than 40 years of addiction to this stuff, I feel like this is a huge win for me - even if I'm not seeing huge weight loss yet.

Been about a month and now down almost 17 lbs. I was at my highest ever at 204 and despite being 5’11 or so, I carry it all in the midsection.

weighed myself today and was 187 amd have about 12 more to go. Although @GolferGal gets a shout out for help as she knows her stuff. Haven’t worked out yet, just changed my diet quite a tad

Been about a month and now down almost 17 lbs. I was at my highest ever at 204 and despite being 5’11 or so, I carry it all in the midsection.

weighed myself today and was 187 amd have about 12 more to go. Although @GolferGal gets a shout out for help as she knows her stuff. Haven’t worked out yet, just changed my diet quite a tad
If you want to know where those 17 lbs went.......

While never a huge believer of the whole "no carb" thing... i guess it really IS a "thing" and has worked for me as well.
It most definitely is a thing.

It's astonishing, to me. "Back in the day" we weren't a nation of fatties. Then "science" came along and claimed dietary fat is bad for you and carbs were great. Yeah... no. The problem was exacerbated by the fact that most carb-y things don't taste like much, on their own, so they get loaded-up with salt, sugar, and Lord-knows-what-else to give them flavor. More tailspin-inducing garbage. The nutrition scientists can't seem to figure it out. They have somehow failed to notice that the massive increase in obesity coincided with the massive increase in carb consumption.

A balanced diet, that is not carb-heavy, and a less sedentary lifestyle will get it done.

... having taken a super long hiatus it’s like I’m a beginner again which sucks ...
Yeah, coming back from an extended break always sucks. You can't do the intensity you used to do. So besides the effort and soreness, you feel like you aren't really doing anything. I just keep reminding myself "You gotta start somewhere" :)

I think getting below the 190 threshold is going to require some more extended fasting.
Be careful with that. Too-extreme dieting, and that includes over-fasting, can be self defeating.

Your body is smarter than you think. When it's deprived off too much nutrition for too long, or too frequently, it will put itself into "lean times are coming" mode and, instead of burning excess fat, will do what it can to store more. Yo-yo dieters run into this all the time. They go on an extreme diet, have initial success, then their body goes into fat-burning-shutdown, and they hit a wall. They get frustrated, give up, and go back to the diet that got them overweight in the first place. Only now their body is in "store all the fat I can" mode, so they end up fatter than when they started.

(Life Time Fitness, back when it really was about adult fitness, rather than being a family entertainment and kiddy daycare center, used to give new members a DVD that explained all this in great detail.)

This is why interval fasting works so well. You deprive the body of new nutrition just long enough and just frequently enough to make it burn stored fat for energy, but not long or often enough to shock it into panic mode.

I'm finally, really getting my diet under control. Was not enough just to cut out the snacking and get back to my exercise regimen. Probably due to age and to being more sedentary, overall, due to being retired, doing just those was not enough to get the fat to start coming off. I'm now forgoing the morning breakfast/protein bar and small OJ at least five days/week and have reduced lunch and dinner portion sizes.

244. After a few steps the wrong way, I’m heading in the right direction.

I got on the scale...I'm down 3.5 lbs. It's noting to write home about but it's something so I will take it.

I got my a$$ handed to me in my workout today. I started with a 40 minute HIIT that was a pyramid, so keep adding then take away, it was brutal, and of course had burpees...so many F'ing burpees. Then I followed that up with a 30 minute boxing class that completely drained the tank. I forgot how much I love boxing, and also how hard it is. I'm so excited the Tempo adding a whole boxing section, I am definitely going to utilize that a lot. It's one of my favorite ways to work out.

I got on the scale...I'm down 3.5 lbs. It's noting to write home about but it's something so I will take it.

I got my a$$ handed to me in my workout today. I started with a 40 minute HIIT that was a pyramid, so keep adding then take away, it was brutal, and of course had burpees...so many F'ing burpees. Then I followed that up with a 30 minute boxing class that completely drained the tank. I forgot how much I love boxing, and also how hard it is. I'm so excited the Tempo adding a whole boxing section, I am definitely going to utilize that a lot. It's one of my favorite ways to work out.

Seeing what my wife has gone through with a very strict program (more to tone up than specifically loose weight) take it as a win. 3.5 is nothing to sneeze at when you are vertically challenged.

Here's an interesting, to me, anyway, little data point.

Trader Joe's has these "Steak and Stout" meat pies. They're about as big around as a hockey puck and maybe 2-1/2 times as high. Bought a couple boxes (two to a box) of them when I was in there the other day. Used to pack one of them for lunch at work every once-in-a-while. Always used to find one of them more than sufficient. Had one just about a half hour ago. It didn't seem like enough food, but surely it was. I suspect this is an indication of just how badly I've been overeating for a while.

Seeing what my wife has gone through with a very strict program (more to tone up than specifically loose weight) take it as a win. 3.5 is nothing to sneeze at when you are vertically challenged.

It's so hard! Between our gender, our age, our height challenges, and the fact that we are't trying to lose a lot of weight or in her case just tone, it's so much harder.

It's so hard! Between our gender, our age, our height challenges, and the fact that we are't trying to lose a lot of weight or in her case just tone, it's so much harder.

I feel so bad for her. She is giving it her all and not seeing the results she was hoping for. I need to pull out her boxing gloves I think. A workout and some stress relief all in one.

I feel so bad for her. She is giving it her all and not seeing the results she was hoping for. I need to pull out her boxing gloves I think. A workout and some stress relief all in one.

I 1000% understand her struggle. And yes, get the gloves out, that's a great idea!

I've lost about 8 lbs since deciding to pick up golf again at the beginning of February. Mostly by cutting the snacking before bed, moving more and getting some golf practice in 2 or 3 times a week. I'm looking forward to getting out on the course, walking most of the time.

Weighed in this morning down to 197, so only .5lbs since last week, but definitely feeling like my body is starting to change. Completed a rowing challenge today which was pretty intense. Looking forward to continuing on and seeing more results. Noticing shirts are starting to fit a little differently which is a nice motivator.

I probably posted this in the wrong thread this morning:

Hit a milestone weight today - Down 24lbs. for the year.
Really got a great workout routine going. Joined my health club after my 60 day trial.

I will hit my weight goal this year, I'm too old to keep doing the Diet Yo-Yo!

Down to a low of 192 - only 1 lb less than last week, but it's a small victory.

I haven't been on a diet as much as I stopped eating certain things. I my case I stopped eating what I call obvious sweets. Cookies, ice cream which I ate like it was a food group. I also don't drink alcohol during the week as a general rule. I worked out every morning and threw in the old 8 minute ab video which is on you tube. I lost my gut and feel really clear headed.

It would seem my additional measures--mostly reducing portion sizes, since that was about all that was left, may be producing the desired results: The scale says I dropped another pound last week. Put on a fresh pair of jeans, yesterday, and it felt like they weren't as snug as fresh pairs of jeans have felt, recently. So I think it may finally be happening :)

I'll take an official weigh in on Monday mornings since that is when I do them for consistency but I do sneak occasional "unofficial" weigh ins during the week. I expect come Monday I should officially cross the 50lb mark. I just missed it by a small amount last week. Several nights of range sessions with weather in the 60's should help out in increasing my activity this past week. I've been right around the expected 2lbs a week mark from myfitnesspal app over the last 3 weeks or so after losing a lot initially from tracking my calories.
My Official weigh in from Monday morning put me over the 60lb mark since I started tracking. 61.6 to be exact. The weather turning and spending more time on the range and golf course has made a big difference over the last few weeks to push through a plateau.

If anyone is a cottage cheese fan the Good Culture brand is really good. Super clean and the curds are tight. I know that sounds weird to those who don't like cottage cheese, but for those who do, you know they are not all are created equal. I hate a loose, runny cottage cheese. This one is tight.

I probably posted this in the wrong thread this morning:

Hit a milestone weight today - Down 24lbs. for the year.
Really got a great workout routine going. Joined my health club after my 60 day trial.

I will hit my weight goal this year, I'm too old to keep doing the Diet Yo-Yo!
Ok - Down 5 lbs. last week, so I kept losing.
Tried a couple of Collagen and MCT products last week.
I would say that it make a difference as my intake of Carbs dropped.
Bought some Bean MCT Oil Powder with Collagen to put in to my Coffee.
Hoping to look like Jennifer Aniston when I reach my goal.

Also picked up some REBEL Ice Cream. First ingredient is Cream and you can taste it.
Cookie Dough is really good and not too expensive.

Last edited:
243.6. It’s slow going but it’s going.

At weigh in yesterday, I was down flat vs last week so not much has changed. Still down 17 lbs and I expect by Saturday I will be down .5 to 1 more. I'd like 7 more off before July, which seems really doable, and honestly this is the easiest time I have had with weight loss in my life.

Replace cookies and candy with a protein bar, I have chosen Power Crunch, because it is much lower carb (not net carbs) than most others and isn't a chewy gawd awful tasting thing.
Replace chips with Qwest protein chips, which are honestly pretty darn good (loaded taco being my favorite).
Replace ice cream with a protein shake. We have a ton of the powders here (all different flavors), but my favorite is a Vegan Protein called Planta which has amazing flavors. Another really good choice so far as been Body Tech Fruit Cereal, which tastes just like fruity pebbles.

Add in the fact that I normally worked through breakfast and lunch and then would eat tons later in the day, and now I am having a protein shake mid morning instead of nothing or garbage.

I have not been working out, not changed any other aspect, just those simple things and it is working for me. Shout out to @GolferGal for helping of course, as she knows her nutrition backwards and forwards.

This thread screams my name. I'm 6,2 & stepped on the scale march 1 at 286. Been using the My Fitness Pal app lost 13 pounds in the last month. Its set up to count calories, yeah its old school, but you cant outrun a fork.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back