2022 Driver Search/Testing - Which would you choose?

Which would you game?

• Driver A (Black) - Head 1; Shaft 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Driver B (Red) - Head 1; Shaft 2

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Driver C (Yellow) - Head 2; Shaft 1

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Driver D (White) - Head 2; Shaft 2

Votes: 25 75.8%

• Total voters

bbuonic81

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 13.1
Here's one for the tinkerers (so I guess all of us). With the massive caveat that I have yet to see any outdoor ball flights/results yet, I've been working on honing in my driver for 2022 with some simulator time this winter. For the moment, I've narrowed the testing down to two heads and two shafts. Luckily all Callaway, so can be easily changes and tested. Which of the four combinations would you choose? For those who might know more than me, is there a piece of the data that you'd try to change to improve any of them? These are all sets of five swings from my most recent session. EDIT to clarify: all numbers in the pictures only apply to the active driver.

Thanks!

Driver A (Black tracer lines; Head 1 & Shaft 1)

Driver A.jpg

Driver B (Red Tracer lines; Head 1 & Shaft 2)

Driver B.jpg

Driver C (Yellow tracer lines; Head 2 & Shaft 1)

Driver C.jpg

Driver D (White tracer lines; Head 2 & Shaft 2)

Driver D.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like C or D to me.

D - Fastest Average Ball Speed and closer to the middle of the fairway.
Fighting the "Lefts" is a hard thing to correct....

D. Head 2 shaft 2. You were VERY close to the intended target, good launch, spin and consistent carry numbers. The dispersion number is a little misleading because you had one that went left of the target more than others.

All numbers aside @bbuonic81, which head and shaft combo felt the best to you? Which do you like?

Head 2, shaft 2 for me.

Edit - I am changing my answer to D. First pass I was looking at a particular column for distances. Upon closer inspection D is the most consistent ball speed and average distance is very good relative to the others, plus the dispersion is nice.

Last edited:
I voted D. Might not be the longest but I prefer playing from the fairway. Being at most one club closer is a “so what” in my book.

All numbers aside @bbuonic81, which head and shaft combo felt the best to you? Which do you like?

I think the biggest feel difference was between the two shafts. I think I could game either head in shaft 2. I did game shaft 1 all season last season, so it's not like I couldn't play it, but I think shaft 2 does show some better numbers and better top swing speeds.

If you're not picking the longest driver, you're making a mistake.

This is certainly my initial reaction, too. I am FAR from the longest driver of the ball, so I can't really afford to give anything up.

Head 2 for sure.

If you're not picking the longest driver, you're making a mistake.

Ahh the age-old discussion - would you take the longest driver with the bigger dispersion left/right or the shorter driver with the smaller dispersion left/right.

I would say that if possible, these shots should be contextualized onto known holes and see how the OP reacts to trying to hit target given directions and fairway constraints.
I voted head 1, shaft 2 because that dispersion pattern looks fantastic to me.

Then if you feel like your left of target shot on D was more of an outer, I'd say for sure D.

D for me and it's not really close. I'd be out playing it already. Lol

Here's one for the tinkerers (so I guess all of us). With the massive caveat that I have yet to see any outdoor ball flights/results yet, I've been working on honing in my driver for 2022 with some simulator time this winter. For the moment, I've narrowed the testing down to two heads and two shafts. Luckily all Callaway, so can be easily changes and tested. Which of the four combinations would you choose? For those who might know more than me, is there a piece of the data that you'd try to change to improve any of them? These are all sets of five swings from my most recent session. EDIT to clarify: all numbers in the pictures only apply to the active driver.

Thanks!

Driver A (Black tracer lines; Head 1 & Shaft 1)

View attachment 9070565

Driver B (Red Tracer lines; Head 1 & Shaft 2)

View attachment 9070566

Driver C (Yellow tracer lines; Head 2 & Shaft 1)

View attachment 9070567

Driver D (White tracer lines; Head 2 & Shaft 2)

View attachment 9070568
A is out. Miss is too far left
B is out. Even though dispersion is best, launch is way to high

It's between C and D for me and I lean D with the avg longest Carry and distance.

Distance is king for me...D

D is the clear winner, imo

red or white for me, then pick which one look and/or feels better

I'd pick D all day but wouldn't be mad about having to play shaft 1 in head 2.

D all day. Consistency and plenty long.

Ahh the age-old discussion - would you take the longest driver with the bigger dispersion left/right or the shorter driver with the smaller dispersion left/right.

I would say that if possible, these shots should be contextualized onto known holes and see how the OP reacts to trying to hit target given directions and fairway constraints.
I voted head 1, shaft 2 because that dispersion pattern looks fantastic to me.
driving accuracy is overrated. Get as close to the hole as possible.

Go with the longest driver. Pros have dispersion of 60 yards with their drivers. Anyone who says closer doesn’t matter is fooling themselves. Unless it’s a penalty.

Back