3 club tourney advice

I'd say definately include a 3 iron simply because Seve Ballesteros won a one-club tourney with one. He shot a 66. I have no clue how...

I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

Funny, but illegal if the tournament is playing "by the rules" since you cannot adjust or modify any club during a round. :)

I've never seen one in person but on Ebay you will see them from time to time - an adjustable golf club. It's adjustable for loft via a knob on one side with little markings on the side to line up for X club etc..I'm sure they play like crap but the first time I saw one I thought it would be great in a tournament where they restrict you to one club.

index_marks_full-head.jpg

Well I just got back from playing in the 3 club tournament. We only played 9 holes due to the terrible rain. I actually shot BETTER than I usually do.

I was +2 for 9 holes using only 3 clubs. I took the 4H, 7i and 50* wedge. On all par 4s and 5's I used the 4H off the tee, never lost a ball, in fact I only missed one FW. 7i on the par 3's and SW for chipping and 115y in. I putter with the 4H. I used a belly style where I choked down on the hybrid, and stuck the butt end in my belly. And took a normal stroke. It worked crazy well, I made 2 10ft putts, and even a 20 ft putt. Only 1 3 "putt" as well. So Overall I was super happy with it.

Thanks for the advice everyone, it was great!

Belbs

Well I just got back from playing in the 3 club tournament. We only played 9 holes due to the terrible rain. I actually shot BETTER than I usually do.

I was +2 for 9 holes using only 3 clubs. I took the 4H, 7i and 50* wedge. On all par 4s and 5's I used the 4H off the tee, never lost a ball, in fact I only missed one FW. 7i on the par 3's and SW for chipping and 115y in. I putter with the 4H. I used a belly style where I choked down on the hybrid, and stuck the butt end in my belly. And took a normal stroke. It worked crazy well, I made 2 10ft putts, and even a 20 ft putt. Only 1 3 "putt" as well. So Overall I was super happy with it.

Thanks for the advice everyone, it was great!

Belbs

Wow. Great work. The putting alone is impressive, let alone your score. What were some other players club choices? Just curious.

Great job Belbin. That tournament sounds like it would be a lot of fun. Are you pondering switching to a belly putter now?

John Deere Tappin...

I used a belly style where I choked down on the hybrid, and stuck the butt end in my belly. And took a normal stroke. It worked crazy well, I made 2 10ft putts, and even a 20 ft putt. Only 1 3 "putt" as well. So Overall I was super happy with it.

Belbs

Good job Belbs. Perhaps a belly putter is in your future?

Way to go Belbs! I really want to play a three club or one club tournament!

Id like to play a 2 clubber. 5i, gap wedge? Hmm.. Ill try this sometime this week, maybe monday

Id like to play a 2 clubber. 5i, gap wedge? Hmm.. Ill try this sometime this week, maybe monday

This thread has me pondering. I may try the 3 clubber this evening if I get off of work in time.

John Deere Tappin...

So I just got an email that Bandon Dunes is holding a 3 club tourney in November on Old Mac. Old Mac is a links gem with a ton of sand, greens the size of some entire par 3 holes, fairways so tight you can putt the ball 100 yards and in November, the wind will be howling. What clubs would you bring?

I would have to look at the scorecard, but probably 3i, 8i, sand wedge.
So I just got an email that Bandon Dunes is holding a 3 club tourney in November on Old Mac. Old Mac is a links gem with a ton of sand, greens the size of some entire par 3 holes, fairways so tight you can putt the ball 100 yards and in November, the wind will be howling. What clubs would you bring?

That sounds awesome. I think I would go 3w, 7i, and 56* I'd probably putt with the wedge.

John Deere Tappin...

This sounds like a blast! Glad you played well Belbs!

When I actually think about it I rarely use more than half my bag in a normal round. I need to try this one time out.

Great job Belbin. That tournament sounds like it would be a lot of fun. Are you pondering switching to a belly putter now?

John Deere Tappin...

Yeah I was considering it before, now it is #1 on the list right before new KBS tour C-Taper shafts

Yeah I was considering it before, now it is #1 on the list right before new KBS tour C-Taper shafts

Nice. I'm pondering hard about those shafts as well.

John Deere Tappin...

Back