pumbaa

Need more golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Do you think a 60* wedge is useful for most amateur golfers? I carry 13 clubs currently and the top end of my bag is pretty evenly spaced, and my highest lofted wedge is 56*.

My short game is my weakness though it has got better but I have been looking at adding an MD5, Jaws Raw, or similar 60*.

Do you think a 60* wedge is useful for most amateur golfers? I carry 13 clubs currently and the top end of my bag is pretty evenly spaced, and my highest lofted wedge is 56*.

My short game is my weakness though it has got better but I have been looking at adding an MD5, Jaws Raw, or similar 60*.
If the golfer has room for it in their bag, and can learn to hit it consistently well, then it's a good club to have available.

I've carried a 60 wedge for a several decades. As I've put several years on my golf journey, I've lost a considerable amount of yardage with it. I still keep it in the bag for certain situations up to 50-60 yards.

I also use it to swap out for another club I might want to play sometimes.

Are you wanting it for full swings? Or are you using it for partial shots?

For most? No. I think they're far better learning to use their SW correctly, or stopping at a 58.

In my view most amateurs don't practice enough and/or do not have good enough technique to use the benefits of a 60° wedge to their advantage.

No to the 60* wedge good sir.

They're only useful if amateurs don't use them to hit flop shots.

For most? No. I think they're far better learning to use their SW correctly, or stopping at a 58.
Agree with Jman. Its a difficult club to hit properly. Especially without enough bounce. But with that said, I use my 60 probably more than any other club except driver throughout the course of a round. 90 yds and in is almost always my 60 and it also gets used out of greenside bunkers on shorter shots

I liked my 60 previously, but have a 58 now. I think it can be a good club but by and large probably not the best option for a lot of amateurs.

I like mine, and use it quite a bit

Data tells me I'll get closer to the pin on stock shots using my 54* vs my 58*.

But I still use my 58* when the lie dictates. Short sided, needing to clear a hazard. But around the green I use my 54* more to better effect.

I see the consesus is NO. Now to figure out where to fill the gap with the extra club or just be happy with what i have and use 13.

My current wedge setup is PW, AW both set then 52 and 56

I would agree with this. Unless you have a lot of time to practice I don't think a 60* will help many golfers much.
It took a long ass time for me to let young kids eventually put one into their bags. Show me you can do it all with the SW first, then the LW becomes an asset, not a liability.

It took a long ass time for me to let young kids eventually put one into their bags. Show me you can do it all with the SW first, then the LW becomes an asset, not a liability.

I am using a 60* this year for the first time in a really long time my bag goes 50, 55, 60. I am doing fine with it but I believe I practice a lot more with my wedges than most. Also I almost never hit a flop shot.

I think a 58 or 60 is indispensible for most players. If you ball striking isn't up to a blade wedge, get an easy to hit wide flange wedge like a Callaway CB, which is probably the most idiot proof wedge ever.

Last edited:
For what I used my 60* for, I was always short. So I went with a 58*. Suits me better and get the extra couple of yards now than with the 60*

I wouldn't mind a 58* just leaves weird gapping since I have 52/56 already.

I wouldn't mind a 58* just leaves weird gapping since I have 52/56 already.
Loft gaps, yes, but what about distance gaps? That is what matters WAY more than the loft gap.

Example, do you full swing a LW? If not, then the distance gaps of the 56/58 would be just fine. Too many focus on the loft gaps in wedges without taking into account HOW they use the wedges.

This is my view as well. I carried a 60* for a long time and it was a great club, but as the iron sets have become stronger lofted, I dialed my highest lofted wedge back to 58*. I can do most everything with that that I could with a 60*, and it gaps into the rest of my wedges for a full swing. Contrary to some, I use the 58* for many full swings and, according to Shot Scope, it is my most effective full shot club.

A 56* or 58* wedge is easier to use on more full swings. I think the very skilled, strong golfers benefit from a 60* wedge, but most golfers would be better to fill a gap in somewhere else And stop at 56* to 58*.

Loft gaps, yes, but what about distance gaps? That is what matters WAY more than the loft gap.

Example, do you full swing a LW? If not, then the distance gaps of the 56/58 would be just fine. Too many focus on the loft gaps in wedges without taking into account HOW they use the wedges.
I have become more comfortable with my 56 full swings but a 58/60 would not be full swings.

Back