sickyspider

Reaction score
Handicap
Management
Played a course today that I have not played since university days way back in 1991. Then stopped playing golf and only started again in 2011!

Whilst my overall score wasn't great - I shot a 94 (par 72/6300 yards), the round contained a number of firsts!

Longest drive down the fairway - 275 yards according to my range finder. Would have rolled further if it wasn't raining and the ground very soft. I know some of you big hitters do this distance in your sleep but I don't. I have a terrible slice/fade which I am trying to eradicate (or at least control) with my coach's help.

Most fairways hit - 8/16 and another 3 drives in the light stuff. Unfortunately hit 3 OOB as well!! Played both par 3's terribly (scored 4 and 5).

Got my first par 4 birdie EVER! Hit my drive just over 250 yards in the light stuff on the left side leaving me 110 yards in. Hit a full 52 degree wedge to within 3 feet (almost an eagle!!). Tried to remain calm and not twitch and thanks to my new cross-hand grip I felt totally squared up and confident! In it went!!

All 3 greenside bunker shots were to within 10 feet of the hole but despite coming very close to holing a couple of them I did not make one up and down!

Today was the first day I putted cross-hand. It took me 3-4 holes to get some feeling and judgement for longer putts. However, by the end I was convinced this was my putting future! I felt so stable and squared up that every time I got the flat stick in my hand I felt reasonably confident which is a totally new feeling! 36 putts including a completely misjudged 30 footer come 3 putt on the outward 9. At least 3 of the 2 putts lipped out. I am happy with the overall putting results and am looking forward to the next round. I didn't miss a putt inside 3 feet, which is normally my twitching zone! It didn't feel too difficult judging lag on long putts by the way.

If only my second shots were better - oh well next time!

Great job Sicky, gotta love day's like that. Like you, I don't drive the ball way out there like some others on the interwebs.

Great playing! It's always encouraging when you hit a personal best.

Awesome sicky! Those are some great firsts. Always love the easy birdies!

Great round! I haven't had a round that I've felt as good as that ever!! Great going!!

Congrats!

Those are all great milestones! Congrats and keep it up and more firsts things are bound to happen

Congrats dude! Awesome stuff!

Some seriously good things happened in your round. very nicely done. Serious congratulations on the birdie. No lucky shots, just three well played shots. Bravo!

That's awesome.

Nothing like a round like this to keep you excited about the game.

Played a course today that I have not played since university days way back in 1991. Then stopped playing golf and only started again in 2011!

Whilst my overall score wasn't great - I shot a 94 (par 72/6300 yards), the round contained a number of firsts!

Longest drive down the fairway - 275 yards according to my range finder. Would have rolled further if it wasn't raining and the ground very soft. I know some of you big hitters do this distance in your sleep but I don't. I have a terrible slice/fade which I am trying to eradicate (or at least control) with my coach's help.

Most fairways hit - 8/16 and another 3 drives in the light stuff. Unfortunately hit 3 OOB as well!! Played both par 3's terribly (scored 4 and 5).

Got my first par 4 birdie EVER! Hit my drive just over 250 yards in the light stuff on the left side leaving me 110 yards in. Hit a full 52 degree wedge to within 3 feet (almost an eagle!!). Tried to remain calm and not twitch and thanks to my new cross-hand grip I felt totally squared up and confident! In it went!!

All 3 greenside bunker shots were to within 10 feet of the hole but despite coming very close to holing a couple of them I did not make one up and down!

Today was the first day I putted cross-hand. It took me 3-4 holes to get some feeling and judgement for longer putts. However, by the end I was convinced this was my putting future! I felt so stable and squared up that every time I got the flat stick in my hand I felt reasonably confident which is a totally new feeling! 36 putts including a completely misjudged 30 footer come 3 putt on the outward 9. At least 3 of the 2 putts lipped out. I am happy with the overall putting results and am looking forward to the next round. I didn't miss a putt inside 3 feet, which is normally my twitching zone! It didn't feel too difficult judging lag on long putts by the way.

If only my second shots were better - oh well next time!

Congrats sickyspider! I clearly remember my first birdie. Hole out from 45 yds! Enjoy your new found success & welcome back to the greatest game.

Awesome Spidey. Keep working at it and those birdies will come more often. I remember my first par 4 birdie and it was one of the best days of my life.

Now get a birdie on a par 5 and it's even better.

this game is amazing! isnt it? When ya do well and feel good about it,... everything is better. Grass is greener, food taste better, sky is more blue, wife looks prettier, etc... even almost makes it nicer to sit down and pay the monthly bills. Well..... may be not that one LOL

Congratz on the bird and all else your proud of. Good job, hope it stays with you and gets even better.

great job man! it sure is nice when you have a round where everything just comes together and does what you want. keep it up!

Congrats!

Congrats! I love seeing posts like this. Good luck with more firsts in the future!

Sounds like a great day . Congratulations on all the 1st.

Way to go !

Congrats on all the firsts! That is one great round you had to get all that done in one round.

Congrats! Seems like a great round. Must have felt good to almost eagle that par 4 :).

Golf is not all about scores, it's also about the great shots that make your day!

Very eventful day ss, sounds like things are really starting to come around for you.

Nice day of "firsts".....keep up the good work!

Back