Adams Irons - A12 Pro vs. CMB? Which one would you select?

Marks23

Reaction score
Handicap
Ignoring price differential, which one would you get and why? Can you feel a difference between the forged 8620 in the A12s and the forged 1025 in the Idea CMBs? I know many posters on this forum have had the chance to demo the new CMBs. My local golfsmith has not received the CMBs yet for me to try.

Last edited:
If I was buying off the rack, the a12's. Stock shaft is a better fit for me.

Honestly I would go and hit them and see which one you like best and then get fitted for them, I've made the mistake of buying clubs that I hadn't tried and it didn't work out too well. As far as performance, they are two different the of irons and you should see a difference, the A12's with the velocity slot and other game improvement advances should be longer and more forgiving than the forged irons (sometimes) but the forged irons with the muscle back/cavity back are more players style irons. Some people swear that they get more feel from forged irons, but that's all up to you and your personal preference. I would try them out and see if you don't need the distance or forgivness-look at your handicap lol-then get the forged.

Now I would get the CMBs cause I want some nice forged CB/MB and I love the way forged irons feel!

The forged thing matters 0 to me, because it really matters little to the club's performance. The headshape is where I focus. I really like the A12 Pros. I haven't hit the CMBs, but I figure that the A12s would be better for me.

The forged thing matters 0 to me, because it really matters little to the club's performance. The headshape is where I focus. I really like the A12 Pros. I haven't hit the CMBs, but I figure that the A12s would be better for me.
Not really that fair of a comparison, but I'd probably like the a12 more.

CMB is going to have a smaller MOI, but the tungesten weighting should help with the CG. Comes stock with the c-taper so you basically have a club that has low spin, likely harder to hit in the air with a small sweet spot.

You see how deep of a cavity the a12 has? Far larger MOI, but not sure of the CG location, but I'm assuming it's rather low. I have no problems hitting and getting the ball up.

Honestly I would go and hit them and see which one you like best and then get fitted for them, I've made the mistake of buying clubs that I hadn't tried and it didn't work out too well. As far as performance, they are two different the of irons and you should see a difference, the A12's with the velocity slot and other game improvement advances should be longer and more forgiving than the forged irons (sometimes) but the forged irons with the muscle back/cavity back are more players style irons. Some people swear that they get more feel from forged irons, but that's all up to you and your personal preference. I would try them out and see if you don't need the distance or forgivness-look at your handicap lol-then get the forged.

Now I would get the CMBs cause I want some nice forged CB/MB and I love the way forged irons feel!

Not really that fair of a comparison, but I'd probably like the a12 more.

CMB is going to have a smaller MOI, but the tungesten weighting should help with the CG. Comes stock with the c-taper so you basically have a club that has low spin, likely harder to hit in the air with a small sweet spot.

You see how deep of a cavity the a12 has? Far larger MOI, but not sure of the CG location, but I'm assuming it's rather low. I have no problems hitting and getting the ball up.

I think ya'll are thinking of the a12 OS instead of the a12 pro. The a12 pro has a very similar headshape to the CMB and would be comparable in overall playability.

I haven't hit the a12 pro, but was a big fan of the CMB. The stock shaft is a C-taper, so you are definitley going to want to hit them before buying, they are not for everybody.

I've had this same idea floating around in my head the last few days since the CMB hit the THP review board. I really liked the a12s when they first came out, and there seems to be very little difference in head shape as far as I can tell. The #1 problem I have is the fact that I have no idea how a KBS Tour or C-Taper in the correct flex would feel to me. Never seen an S+ or X in either to possibly demo, so just gotta hit the Stiff and guesstimate what will feel right.

As far as looks for these two I'm torn. Love the black finish, love it; but that matte silvery-gray just screams. "Hit me as much as you want, I can take it!"

Some good thoughts here but one thing Adams has (if you go the right location) is their ability to swap out shafts for no charge (or little in some cases). To me having hit both, I'd go CMB in a heartbeat. I thought the A12's were nice but when I hit the CMB's at the outing they sure felt less harsh than I remember the 12s and I honestly though across the face, it felt better too. Forgiveness would be hard to say but I think you're splitting hairs with these two irons.

Yes, the CTaper stock shaft in the CMB is rough but you can get that swapped out for another KBS shaft unless Im completely wrong.

CMB all the way imo.

I think ya'll are thinking of the a12 OS instead of the a12 pro. The a12 pro has a very similar headshape to the CMB and would be comparable in overall playability.

I haven't hit the a12 pro, but was a big fan of the CMB. The stock shaft is a C-taper, so you are definitley going to want to hit them before buying, they are not for everybody.
Nope. Have you seen how deep the a12 Pro cavity is? You're comparing a MB vs. a deep cavity... I don't understand how they're similar? That goes against conventional wisdom, unless you have actual science to prove your statement.

Deep cavity will increase perimeter weighting, thus increasing the MOI.

The CMB is more comparable in looks to my Adams Pro Golds. Both are very shallow and have a lot of weight behind the center of the club. My Pro Golds, which I love, are not forgiving. They are true muscle backs. Looks like the CMB is a slight redesign with tungesten weighting to lower the CG and increased the cavity slightly. Not sure what else has been done, other than using a softer carbon.

I think so too I'll look up the pros real fast!

Nope. Have you seen how deep the a12 Pro cavity is? You're comparing a MB vs. a deep cavity... I don't understand how they're similar? That goes against conventional wisdom, unless you have actual science to prove your statement.

The CMB is more comparable in looks to my Adams Pro Golds. Both are very shallow and have a lot of weight behind the center of the club. My Pro Golds, which I love, are not forgiving. They are true muscle backs. Looks like the CMB is a slight redesign with tungesten weighting to lower the CG and increased the cavity slightly. Not sure what else has been done, other than using a softer carbon.

Hmmmm, having hit both, I'd say their very similar in some aspects, design aside.

I have seen the A12 Pro. I have hit them many times. I almost bought them. That cavity is far from deep.

I know which set I would get.

Maybe I shouldn't jump the gun. My statement was based on pictures as I have yet to hold a CMB in my hands. Perhaps the cavity is deeper in person.

Maybe I shouldn't jump the gun. My statement was based on pictures as I have yet to hold a CMB in my hands. Perhaps the cavity is deeper in person.

Which leads to the fact that we just need more detailed CMB pictures, haha

I have seen the A12 Pro. I have hit them many times. I almost bought them. That cavity is far from deep.
Pretty subjective since it depends on the golfer and what they're used to playing. I consider the a12 Pro deep. Reminded me of my 855s Silver Scot's I owned growing up. Nice, big cavity IMO :)

Pretty subjective since it depends on the golfer and what they're used to playing. I consider the a12 Pro deep. Reminded me of my 855s Silver Scot's I owned growing up. Nice, big cavity IMO :)

If you're playing the Idea Pro Golds now, same set I played for a good long time, I thought that the cavity in the A12 Pros was smaller than the Idea Pro Golds. My memory might be betraying me, but that is what I recall.

I still think you are confusing which a12s we are talking about. The cavity is nowhere near as deep as the 855.

Tapin for bird

I know which set I would get.

uCMB_I.jpg

Adams-Idea-Pro-a12-forged-iron-6-f.jpg

cmb-400x300.jpg

vs say....S2?
cobras2.jpg

IDK I think we are talking millimeters here not horseshoes and hand grenades on the size of the cavity.

Edit: adding Pro gold for reference.
ideaprogold.jpg

False! The A12 Pro's are available in LH

can I get the CB3's?

can I get the CB3's?

No! Not one of the choices Dean. Now, lets get our CMB on like its the outing 2012 all over again.

No! Not one of the choices Dean. Now, lets get our CMB on like its the outing 2012 all over again.

Damn. Fine then, give me those CMB's because Kmac and I rocked those badass looking irons.

Back