Adjustable Weights in Irons

Adjustable weight irons

• Didn't realize

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Like/have it but haven't needed it (as far as I know*)

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Love it/have used

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Don't need

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Should be the standard

Votes: 10 33.3%

• Total voters

OldandStiff

AlsoBald
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
How much do you value it? And should it be the norm?

As I'm reshafting my Blueprint S there's pretty constant reminders how value a changeable weight in the toe or back of an iron is to me. Being able to dial it in from the outside.

Ping basically does it throughout their lineup. Universal and swappable. Callaway has a couple, and TCB was where I decided I want it in everything.

I think its a great lever to pull.

I tried it in the Edel SMS irons and think it is really great. Hope more companies offer it in the future.

I think every club should have some level of adjustability. No two swings are identical, so it's essential in order to dial things for each individual. The problem being that most people are completely clueless and it'd be more confusing than helpful.

I think its a great lever to pull.

I tried it in the Edel SMS irons and think it is really great. Hope more companies offer it in the future.
I meant more for building. I mean, do people realize how common it is for someone to go to a different weight grip at some point? Being able to get heavier head weights for that very simple change without pulling apart everything is nice.

I meant more for building. I mean, do people realize how common it is for someone to go to a different weight grip at some point? Being able to get heavier head weights for that very simple change without pulling apart everything is nice.
Same result with tip weight, without having to worry about closure if it goes above 8-9g of change.

Same result with tip weight, without having to worry about closure if it goes above 8-9g of change.
Not the same result with tip weight. Which is why Ping does tip and toe and Callaway puts theirs in the middle on their adjustable ones. People don't want to have to load up the tip alone any more than they do any other one spot unless it's for specific effect.

And tip weights require pulling heads.

Love the adjustability, hate the tolerance of heads.

Love the adjustability, hate the tolerance of heads.
Right? I mean it does allow for a certain ... imprecision ? to be covered more easily. But I suppose that's a natural part of it all and it's better to have more options to level things out.

It works - we have 3 threads full of feedback on how well :edelgolf:. I hope more companies offer it in the future, but I'm not opposed to a slab of sexy lead tape either 🤷‍♂️

I have the Edel SMS Pros but was fitted to the regular middle weight setup and I never messed with it.

I enjoy knowing I can change the weights in the Apex pro series. I haven’t messed with it but it’s fun knowing it could change if needed/wanted

That's not a thing @ryang13 😆
Halloween Spooky Season GIF by Nickelodeon

I had this issue getting the Hogan Ptx Pros built. They are really light club heads and without the weights the swing weight was like C7. Had to get Hogan to send me the correct drop weights to get the swing weight up to D3-D4. Also, Hogan uses specific weights that no one else uses. :rolleyes:

I thought Edel was the only one with it. I didn't realize Ping or Callaway had that option. Having it makes sense to me.

I thought Edel was the only one with it. I didn't realize Ping or Callaway had that option. Having it makes sense to me.
Yep, I actually didn't realize this either. I went and looked at Ping's site and low and behold it's possible. It seems like it's not talked about enough maybe.

I absolutely fell in love with it on the Apex TCBs. That badge weight was great. And then they did it again with the current Pro, CB, MB lineup.

Yep, I actually didn't realize this either. I went and looked at Ping's site and low and behold it's possible. It seems like it's not talked about enough maybe.
Theirs is the same in all of them now too, which is nice I think.

Wish it was more popular. Several of my HMPs came in at D0 and I’ve left them that way. Not sure on how much lead tape to use and don’t want to take them in and leave them to have the weight added.

Wish it was more popular. Several of my HMPs came in at D0 and I’ve left them that way. Not sure on how much lead tape to use and don’t want to take them in and leave them to have the weight added.
Where did you get them checked to see that those ones are at D0? If you want to try to raise that I'd suggest just getting back on that scale with a roll of tape.

Last edited:
Your body can metabolize lead, it can’t metabolize mercury. I used to work at a place where dudes would eat the lead dust to be kept off the production floor 🤣😂
Safety First GIF by myLAB Box

I have the Edel SMS Pros but was fitted to the regular middle weight setup and I never messed with it.
I'm middle too, but with these shafts I might go to something like heavy on the ends. Would be interesting to see how it would come out best with those.

Back