After your knee replacement (forward leg) can you still swing as well as before surgery?

jhd12

Reaction score
Handicap
Looks like I can't put off knee replacement much longer. I am right handed, replacement will be left knee.

Just wondering, after your knee replacement (forward leg) can you still swing as well as before surgery?

Thank you.

as I'm also going down that track, curious as well for any feedback.
including any golf swings that help reduce the stress on the knee's?

I'm a right handed golfer and had the left (forward) knee replaced late 2006. Played well after recovery, same as before the left knee got very sore and replaced. Had the left knee replaced, again, in 2010. Have played well since, but I wear a copper fit slip on brace just to make me feel comfortable about loading into the left knee during the swing.

Do it, replace it. It ain't gonna get better.....

I had both knees replaced three years ago and never had any issues. I never had any knee issues before the operation, golf swing wise - just couldn't walk. Thankfully I own a similar pivot action to Sam Snead where there is nil twisting on either leg when they are under load.

I had my left knee replaced in 2011. No problems since. Actually played better because I was not in pain anymore. One piece of advise: Stay dedicated with your rehab. Of all the people I know who have had problems after replacement, almost all of them did not take their rehab seriously.

I'm a right handed golfer and had the left (forward) knee replaced late 2006. Played well after recovery, same as before the left knee got very sore and replaced. Had the left knee replaced, again, in 2010. Have played well since, but I wear a copper fit slip on brace just to make me feel comfortable about loading into the left knee during the swing.

Do it, replace it. It ain't gonna get better.....

I'm hoping that was covered under warranty. Is that normal to have to replace it again that soon?

I had both knees replaced in 2016 (six months apart), and I haven’t had a problem with my golf swing. Like golfboyblues said, do not neglect rehab - too many surgery failures can be pinpointed to poor rehab.

No knee replacement, but some knee work. It's somewhat limited mobility for me.... mostly though, I feel it the next day after I do 36+ holes. 18 seems fine, especially if in a cart. It doesn't take any enjoyment away though. Even when I stink, I love being outside and having a great time!

Mach2, was the second knee replacement on the left, a result of the golf?
or were other issues more prevalent?
It was the result of the ortho surgeon not matching the 2 metal parts correctly. Insurance didn't cover the 2nd surgery. The class action suit did though and was positive for me & 22 other folks that this ortho surgeon made mistakes to and it worked out. He lost his ass and licence.

Interesting thread for me. I assume some day, hopefully not soon, that I will need to have my knees replaced. Happy to see that people have been able to play golf after replacement.

I had both knees replaced on 11/11/15.

I was playing in May of 2016.

No difference in golf except for loss of pain.

Ran into a guy at the range I had played with a few times over the years.
He had just had his left hip replaced and was out hitting balls two weeks later. (y)
Most everyone that ran into him was surprised he was out there so fast.

Both of my knees had to be replaced due to arthritis. On X-Ray, the left looked worse but the right was more painful and bothered me in my follow through. So I opted for that knee to be replaced first in March 2014, the left then in October. After each I was chipping putting then hitting balls at the range after 6 weeks or so but didn't get clearance to actually get out on the course until a little under 10 weeks after each surgery. The reason for the delay in the OK had nothing to do with any damage playing would do. The Ortho's concern was my falling by slipping on wet grass or getting into or out of a bunker. I have done nothing different in regard to how I swing or play since the replacements.

Six years later the plastic spacer in the right knee is showing wear but apparently it can be replaced without a full blown revision. I would only be out the length of time it takes for the incision to heal. The discomfort hasn't gotten to the point where I feel it is absolutely necessary, yet.

I am getting both knees replaced due to injuries and arthritis this winter. Not sure if they will be done at the same time or 2 weeks apart.
I will be very interested in following your journey.

My Ortho would not do both knees at the same time. He feels being under anesthesia that much longer, being "open" and exposed to the possibility of infection and not having a "good" (by comparison) leg to depend on aren't worth it. Two weeks after either of my replacements I personally would not have wanted the other done that soon. Bad enough recovering from one at a time. That said, many people opt to and many orthos will do them both at the same time.

My dad had both done at the same time about 8 years ago. He says he’s never felt better and plays 5 times a week

Had my forward knee (LEFT) done last year. It was the best decision I made. I could swing better than before, because that knee bothered me so much. I was back on the course in about 5 weeks.

Back