Hugggggge fan. Whether I’m playing it or watching it. You find out reallllly quickly how good of a person your partner or opponents are. I think it’s an awesome format

Have only played it a couple of times and really enjoyed it. Definitely challenging but very fun.

I’m a fan of this format. I have played with a good friend who has a similar game, so. I was comfortable with the format and my partner.
I think this is definitely a big part of it. I played a Member-Guest with a buddy who is a similar player to me skill wise so neither one of us felt all that bad when the inevitable poor shot occurred. We actually both played really well off each other, definitely gained strokes on our flight with the format.

I’ve never played it. So don’t really have an option. The only thing I bring to the team, is I’m most comfortable in the -ish. Because that’s where I play most often.

it would be fun to try someday.

I think this is definitely a big part of it. I played a Member-Guest with a buddy who is a similar player to me skill wise so neither one of us felt all that bad when the inevitable poor shot occurred. We actually both played really well off each other, definitely gained strokes on our flight with the format.

My partner and I both tended to fade the ball and we were similar in distance, so, in many respects, we were playing shots that we would be familiar with.

Love to watch it, hope to play it one day.

Never have tried it but I think it would be fun to do.

I love it. There's strategy and plans to be made, a whole bunch of **** I can't control, the chance to lift each other up, and always something memorable in the end. It's fun, and it's good for me.

And watching other people do it well or suffer it is a riot.

I am a fan. It puts the pressure on and I love playing in events with pressure!

If I can choose my partner, I’m a fan. I played in a big money tournament in 2019 and 2020 where it was a blind draw scramble format where each team got an A, B, C, and D player based on their index. I was the A player and one of the rules is no player could hit the next shot if his previous shot was used until the ball was on the green. I had to sit out on 6 approach shots one day as my teammates didn’t have a drive in play and it was painful to watch all of them miss the green on a few holes from inside 100 yards.

Not a fan. Feel like I’m only playing half a round of golf.

I am a fan.

my team did poorly but the other guys were lights out. -5 on 9 holes I think.

I enjoy alternate shot format. More pairing and strategy goes into it. Really fun to see people jam and egg it.

Not a fan

who is my partner?

That matters MASSIVELY. If someone can laugh off bad shots that they have hit and I have hit, and never apologizes... I think it's a great test. That said, it sucks to not get to hit your ball repeatedly, and even worse when there are big delays because of pace of play.
Love it. But +1 to having to know your partner. Rando would be a big time no from me.
^Both of these. Fun format to watch, enjoy playing it, but wouldn't want to be paired with a rando, and would want to be with somebody who could have fun with it and not get all wound up. I enjoy both the team aspect and the strategy of it.

It can be enjoyable. We played in league this year & I for once hit almost every shot in the fairway or on the green (executive course), but my partner only hit 1 fairway.

I love it, forces me not to mess up the shot

Played that format twice. Once was fun, the other time not so fun. Knowing your partner makes a big difference.

Are you a fan or no?
I had a bad first go, but think it would go better the next time around... I'm ready for the challenge.

At our club we have an event we play annually. 2-man teams that compete playing six holes each as scramble, best ball, and alternate shot. Alternate shot is of course the toughest of the three formats to score. It's the last six holes and you basically have to hang on. I personally love the challenge.

Back