Altitude vs Distance

dannyka

Reaction score
Handicap
11.0 GHIN
For those of you who have played at different altitudes/elevations, how much does a change in elevation affect the distance of your shots? I realize there are other factors such as temp, but generally speaking, I mean.

My experience has been mainly in the 4500-6000 ft elevation range, although I did play at around 3000 ft earlier this year and didn't really notice a drop in distance. But what happens if I happen to go play in Florida? Is my driver distance going to drop off significantly?

Anyway, what's your experience? Thanks!

I know that when the Euro Tour goes to South Africa and they play up at around 5,000 feet, they talk about thinking of the distances in metres as if they were yards, so they reckoned on hitting it about 10% further. That means that a drive that carries 280 yards at 5,000 feet would only carry around 250-255 yards at sea level.

I play mostly in Colorado and Los Angeles. A 10% difference is about right.

So is a 10 foot putt in Colorado like a 9 foot putt in LA? hehe
Are gimmes 10% outside (Or, I guess more accurately, inside) the leather?

I play mostly in Colorado and Los Angeles. A 10% difference is about right.

That sounds about right. I played at Breckenridge GC a couple of years ago and all my shots were a bit longer. I bought a golf cap the course with "Golfing with Altitude 9324 ft" printed on its side. :D

I played in Arkansas, altitude 700 ft above sea level and around Tucson, altitude 3000 ft above sea level. Also, significant difference in humidity and temperature. I have noticed about a 5-8% gain in overall distance with my clubs. When I moved here, I also moved up one number on clubs from a given distance. Very nice for an old man. I felt like I had made great strides with my ballstriking until I realized what it was...

So all these 300 yd internet golfers must play at some mysterious course 15,000 feet up then?:D

So all these 300 yd internet golfers must play at some mysterious course 15,000 feet up then?:D

Or some mysterious course on PGA Tour 2005... :D

So is a 10 foot putt in Colorado like a 9 foot putt in LA? hehe
Are gimmes 10% outside (Or, I guess more accurately, inside) the leather?

I close my eyes when I putt (it gives me a better chance) so I wouldn't know.

Perhaps I should try that Wiley! It sure can't hurt!

When we play in Tahoe its usually seems to screw with my head. Sure the drives go farther, but it does a number on your iron game. At about 6000 feet it seemed to be a club length difference.

I live out here on the eastern plains of Colorado and when I have gone to Breckenridge to play I have seen about a club length and a half difference longer in the mountains. There is about 4,500 feet difference in altitude.

Cold does too - we see a difference when we play in the Winter.

Big time! When the temps are less than 50º & especially below 40º there is a huge drop in how far the ball will carry. I played last year at a local course & the temp was mid 30º's. I was wondering what the heck was wrong with my driving because the ball was about 15 yds shorter than normal, & i'm not all that long off the tee to begin with.

Irons shots were shorter too, had to club up a minimum of 1 club everytime.

Dyna - Do you see a difference if you warm your balls in the Winter? I know it's not legal, but handicap season is closed so it doesn't matter.

Dyna - Do you see a difference if you warm your balls in the Winter? I know it's not legal, but handicap season is closed so it doesn't matter.

It's always a good idea to keep your balls warm in winter. As a rule, I keep mine in my trousers between holes and that seems to do the trick.

Well, I wear warm pants and haven't noticed a difference. I suppose next time I could wear shorts for a hole or 2:D

It's always a good idea to keep your balls warm in winter.

Ty - I didn't know you played in the Winter. Do you use hand warmers or something else?

Ty - I didn't know you played in the Winter. Do you use hand warmers or something else?

I don't out here (or at least I haven't), but back home I play all through the winter unless it's been snowing, and even then sometimes. It can be interesting putting though because the snow hangs around on the greens for longer (shorter grass, so the ground is colder) and the ball picks up snow as it rolls over it. Sometimes it's twice the size it should be by the time it reaches the hole. Slows it down VERY quickly when it's like that. You also have to occasionally watch out for joker friends who throw snowballs onto your line as your ball is on its way.

Like I said in my previous post though (post-editing - you were too quick), keeping them in my trousers keeps them nice and warm. Thank you for asking.

Well, I wear warm pants and haven't noticed a difference.

Like I said in my previous post though (post-editing - you were too quick), keeping them in my trousers keeps them nice and warm. Thank you for asking.

How hot are you guys? Your balls stay warm in your pockets without any aid?

I'm sure they've got their hands down there playing with them all the time.

You guys crack me up!

Back