fireitup

Reaction score
Handicap
In an attempt to reach one of my goals for 2013 (play more golf) I decided to play yesterday. I have never been one to play winter golf so this was a new experience for me. I found a course that was open, drove an hour to get to it and plopped down the 40 bucks to play. The wind was blowing at about 25 mph, the wind chill had to be about 25 degrees or so. The course was soaking wet and where it wasn't wet it was snow covered. The greens where like putting on a wet carpet.

All in all it was a great day! Didn't shoot particularly well. Played bogey golf with a handful of pars and an equal number of doubles. I have to confess I didn't replace my divot on the 18th hole. The wind blew it about 10 yards out onto the frozen pond and I couldn't get it.

I have a question on the rules. Is snow considered casual water?

In an attempt to reach one of my goals for 2013 (play more golf) I decided to play yesterday. I have never been one to play winter golf so this was a new experience for me. I found a course that was open, drove an hour to get to it and plopped down the 40 bucks to play. The wind was blowing at about 25 mph, the wind chill had to be about 25 degrees or so. The course was soaking wet and where it wasn't wet it was snow covered. The greens where like putting on a wet carpet.

All in all it was a great day! Didn't shoot particularly well. Played bogey golf with a handful of pars and an equal number of doubles. I have to confess I didn't replace my divot on the 18th hole. The wind blew it about 10 yards out onto the frozen pond and I couldn't get it.

I have a question on the rules. Is snow considered casual water?

I think so. When they were clearing snow on Thursday morning at the Accenture, I think I heard a comment about it.

From the rulebook, snow/natural ice are "casual water OR loose impediments, at the discretion of the player".

No, you're not crazy...if there was less snow on our courses right now, I would play in 35 or 40 degree weather with no regrets! Decent round when it's cold like that, I'd say.

Dont think you are crazy. Wish I could have gotten out and played this weekend. Around the same conditions. Minus the snow.

You have to be a little crazy to be obsessed with golf, as we are. So yes, you are crazy. I hope the older I get, the crazier I get.

I forgot to tell you about the best part of the day. Finished 18 holes in just over 3 hours. And didn't rush once.

You don't sound crazy to me, just another THP'er getting after it.

Good for you to get out. I would rather have soggy greens than rock hard concrete greens

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

That's dedication! The last round I played in 2012 was in the high 30's and I was miserable.

In days like that when your not really keeping your score, it's wet and cold i always just play preferred lies because I like to really work on my ball striking on those days.

You're not crazy I tee it up as long as it's over 40 and more fairway than snow is visible

you're not crazy at all... I'm played in sub 40 deg temps several times... I've played in sub 30 deg a couple times as well.

Winter golf isn't bad. Get's a little dicey below 32 or so, but it's easy to stay warm if you're walking. Only thing I don't like is being all bundled up.

I dont think you crazy at all. You like to golf and it is what it is. However for me, knowing the course was soaked in additon to the (not so good) weather I would of just went to the range.
Not so sure why playing in about 3 hours was the best part of the day. I would think having some good strikes and some good holes would be the best part. But overall you seem happy with everything and thats all that counts or matters.

I support winter golf man, good on you!!!

I also doubt many courses with snow on them are in season for things like GHIN, so I'd probably say winter rules on that casual snow haha!

You are not crazy at all, of course you're amongst a bunch of other "crazy" people as well. I love it, get out there and play man!

Love it, fireitup! Can't wait to tee it up with you soon!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

As long as I don't feel I am layered up to the point where it is effecting my swing I will play, but I don't want to be freezing out there either.

Played yesterday as well. Wasn't to bad until the clouds came out and it got windy. You don't have any courses that are closer? An hour drive sucks if that's the closest.

Played yesterday as well. Wasn't to bad until the clouds came out and it got windy. You don't have any courses that are closer? An hour drive sucks if that's the closest.

Most around here are still snow covered or closed for the winter. I have to come down by you.

Where'd you play?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Am I crazy?

You are not crazy I thought about it yesterday but the to do list at home was tooooo long.

Snow and standing water are casual water hazards and fluffy your lie and not playing out of frozen bunkers is all good :) winter rules rule

Back