Another Scorecard Snafu

biggsy

Reaction score
Feel bad for this girl. I think the rule needs to be revised so human error (honest errors) are taken out of the equation.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highs...regon-golfer-loses-state-title-100321371.html

Eugene (Ore.) Churchill High girls golfer Caroline Inglis was on the cusp of history. After winning the Oregon Scholastic Athletic Association Class 5A state tournament during each of her first three years, Inglis finished the final round of the 2012 state tournament with a 3-under-par 69, a score that completed a dominant performance that was nine shots better than anyone else in the tournament.

All Inglis had to do to ensure history would be made was sign her scorecard. As it turns out, that's precisely what got her in trouble.

As reported by the Portland Oregonian, Inglis' scorecard actually credited her with a 4-under-par 68 in the final round, one shot better than Inglis' actual score. The error was the result of Inglis' playing partner hastily crediting the Churchill senior with a par on the 18th hole when she actually hit a bogey, but by the time Inglis noticed her partner's mistake, she had already signed her scorecard.

That gave OSAA officials no choice but to disqualify their rightful champion, because the state championship tournament was played under official USGA rules which call for any players signing inaccurate scorecards to be thrown out of the event.

Inglis' disqualification thwarted what would have been rare history in the Pacific Northwest. Had Inglis' victory been confirmed, she would have become the first golfer of either sex to win four consecutive state titles. Ironically, the winner who took Inglis' place could achieve just such a feat now; Portland (Ore.) Summit High freshman Madison Odiorne was given state champion honors following Inglis' DQ.

"It doesn't really feel like a win, because I know Caroline really won the whole thing," Odiorne told the Oregonian.

Odiorne wasn't the only person who felt for Inglis' stunning loss. Wilsonville (Ore.) High senior Juhee Lee, who finished as the runner up to Inglis in all three of the seniors' previous state tournaments, also called the incident "unfortunate".

Those sentiments probably do little to comfort Inglis, who could at least take solace in knowing that she'll get a chance at even greater glory ahead at the University of Oregon, where she has signed to compete in golf.

Just read this on Yahoo. You got to feel bad for the poor girl. Good thing though is that she has a bright future ahead of her at Univ. of Oregon.

that is really sad... i dont know why there arent official score keepers like in other sports

How sad, it's one of those rules that should certainly be looked at very carefully for possible future changes.

WTC, they better do something about it, she won it fair and square in my book!

that sucks for her. Although it is a rule and I think the rule needs to stay, they could lessen the penalty for it. If you signed a card that is 1 stroke off what you really shot, they should just give you a double stroke penalty, rather than disqualification.

What a joke. It's her championship.

At worst they could have given her a two stroke penalty and she would have still destroyed everyone.

While it definitely sucks for her, it was also completely avoidable.

Independent and objective scoring of all matches should be implemented. You have it for every other sport in the world.

That would suck.

How sad, it's one of those rules that should certainly be looked at very carefully for possible future changes.
The rule is fine. You sign it for a reason.

If you've played competitively you go through each hole and review scores with your partner before you sign (at least I did). She probably just got lazy and ASSUMED the partner kept the correct score.

It's definitely a bummer though...

If you've played competitively you go through each hole and review scores with your partner before you sign (at least I did). She probably just got lazy and ASSUMED the partner kept the correct score.

This is pretty much how I feel too.

I do find it interesting that many of us are quick to want tighter enforcement of the rules when it comes to etiquette or things that impact the pace of play but we're open to changing/eliminating a rule that goes to integrity and honesty (although clearly cheating wasn't an issue here), which I tend to think of as fundamental elements of golf.

Holy cow, another one. I think this sucks, sure she screwed up at the paper work, but this is about the golf that happened out on the course. It's not like she was cheating by using too much pine tar on her bat, lol.

I'm with you. I feel bad for her but it teaches a good lesson that transcends the course- I'll bet she doesn't do it again. This is something within players' control and there is nothing unfair about it.

Just read this story on yahoo. What a shame I feel really bad for that poor girl.

WTC, they better do something about it, she won it fair and square in my book!
Golf is not just hitting the ball, you have to validate the score. it's not her win until she signs a correct score card.

that sucks for her. Although it is a rule and I think the rule needs to stay, they could lessen the penalty for it. If you signed a card that is 1 stroke off what you really shot, they should just give you a double stroke penalty, rather than disqualification.
and if someone was shot behind her she would have still lost. It takes less then a minute to confirm you score card.

What a joke. It's her championship.

At worst they could have given her a two stroke penalty and she would have still destroyed everyone.
Youre tryiung to play, right? don't you check your score card before turning it in? It's part of the rules of the game.

While it definitely sucks for her, it was also completely avoidable.
exactly

At a tournament last summer I signed for an 85 when I should have signed for an 87. On the last hole I hit into some tall grass and there were NO yellow stakes in sight. I grounded my club before hitting a decent shot onto the fairway. After I signed my card, one of the kids in my group (who ironically shot 86 for a 5th place finish which should have been mine) walks down to the hazard and moves some grass to reveal a sprinkler head with yellow plate on it, then shows three more of them to the tournament overseer. it was defined as a water hazard and I was DQ'd for incorrectly signing. And the little b*tch knew the whole time it was a hazard but neglected to tell me cause he didn't want to lose by a stroke. he was one of two kids out of the 16 in the tournament who knew it was a hazard. The next round was not a fun one for him.

sucks, but nothing you can do other than say "DAMN."

That's terrible, but it is part of the rules. Michelle Wee forgot to sign her scorecard and was DQed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=3496673

It's part of the game.

Yes, but it still sucks. Golf should be about what happens on the course, not on the card. It is for this reason I always keep a card myself (unofficial) when I play in events. I want to be able to check my offcial card hole by hole before I sign it and turn it in.

Saw this today. Very sad story for this young girl. An unfortunate way for her to learn such a hard lesson.

Tapaway!

While I agree that she shouldn't have been DQ'd, the rules are the rules. She only lost a state title. Roberto DeVicenzo lost The Masters title for the same thing. (Actually, he lost out on a playoff)

What a bummer. It seems like a harsh sentence for a simple mistake, but that is the way of it. One bogey on 18, how did she miss that?

Man, she should've checked the card more carefully. Then she would've won the championship. Oh well. Excitement probably got the best of her.

Back