Arccos Golf stats on Scratch vs 20 handicap

What you generally find at all levels of golf are the guys who hit it farther than average collect the most trophies and win the most cash. Never in the history of golf has a short hitter of the golf ball dominated the game. The best players of all time Tiger and Jack were two of the longest players in their generation.
The top 5 on the PGA Tour in driving distance so far in the 2024 season are Cameron Champ, Chris Gotterup, Rory, Kevin Dougherty, and Byeong Hun An. How's that working out for them so far?

We occasionally play with a friend's kid who outdrives me by 70+ yards, he's an absolute bomber. It's a huge advantage for him when he is able to keep it in play - which isn't often. He's a lot more likely to be reloading after bouncing one OB off somebody's roof. And when he does hit the fairway, the odds of him burying the head of his iron clear to the hosel on his next shot are pretty good. He has a decent short game once he gets around the green, but a great up and down to save a triple or quadruple bogey doesn't do much for the scorecard.

Same ol', same ol. This statistical analysis has been done years ago. Driving distance and iron accuracy are king for scoring, putting is basically a crapshoot, and wedges only come into play if you missed the green to begin with.

Last edited:
There are a lot of ways to suck at this game, but the data is based on a large sample so I'm sure it's fairly accurate for a large percentage of the population.

I decided to stop tracking my stats this year. It serves little purpose other than finding something positive in an otherwise dismal round, or settling pissing contests on how wrong overall averages can be towards an individual. And the really interesting thing about data is how much improvement I can make statistically only for it have zero impact on my overall scoring. It's as though there isn't the correlation many think there is.

Collecting data can be - and has been - a very cool part of the game for me. It just has never exposed any secrets that have unlocked improvement. It has only ever reinforced exactly what I see and the mental notes I make while playing. And I must be the only shot-tracking golfer in the world who thinks strokes gained methodology has some real inconsistencies.

Finally, I'm glad it helps as many others as it does. But the interpretation of the data by experts and how everyone should apply it to their game is about as useful to me as applying the decades of anecdotal experience and conventional wisdom from before data collection was a thing.

individually , we will have strengths and weakensss … looking at stats…
32 putts / round would be avg for me with 28 pb . Inside where I sit hcp wise ,

As another example , there would be some higher handicaps, that could smash it long , but have poor short / putting games …

Its doesn’t mention altitude either ?
Course length or degree of difficulty
Which is influential.

I can’t ever measure mine against another’s , game , as we are all fundamentally physically different , as is experience , knowledge and skill set … as well as equipment lol .

If we were all uniform , would different conversation …

Good discussion point though )

Distance - 275 (P-Avg)
FIR - 54%
GIR - 35%
Up/Down 25yds - 66%
1 putts per round - 6.66
3 putts per round - .54
Putts per round - 29.2
birdies - 1.44
Bogey - 5.94
Doubles or worse - 0.9

Handicap just went to 6.4 Need to improve iron play which would then probably lead to longer putts which would make my putts go up but may bring scores down. Too many variables to say there is a single way to play or improve at golf.
Is your home course rated easy? Based on birdie/bogey/doubles numbers you're averaging 6-7 over par which seems quite low for a 6.4 handicap.

I have a similar handicap (6.9), and I average about 9.5 over playing on setups that are usually rated around 70/125.

Pretty much what I assume the averages of a massive sample pool would distill out to. Issue is though, of the many golfers I've played with I've never known one who was average in every facet of their game per their handicap. We all shoot the scores we do because of our unique blends of strenths and weaknesses. These tend to flip/flop for us too. That's why I feel these distilled massive data set averages might be interesting but they don't provide much useful info to individual golfers.
I don't understand the "almost nobody is equally good (or bad) at every facet of the game, so therefore these stats that show averages aren't helpful" argument.

Average stats by handicap level give individual golfers an understanding of where their actual strengths and weaknesses lie which is something a lot of golfers are clueless about. Usually they just compare themselves to the people they tend to play with which is too small sample to draw any conclusions about what is actually average. Before I took a deep dive into my stats I was under the impression that I had a good iron game and short game, but struggled with driving and putting. I was right about short game and putting, but was dead wrong about driving and iron play.

Last edited:
Makes sense to me. Though, driver distance doesn't seem to be a huge tell of handicap from who I've been playing with recently.

I think a stat for duffed / topped / shanked shots would (not be possible) be more telling, that's our biggest issue on the higher realm. Mine personally is driver and distance but I've seen plenty of 10-20 handicap people drive distances be all over the board.
I felt my ears burning.

I don’t believe as many golfers are as clueless about their games as so many think.

The bottom line is that if this stuff is helpful, great. Use it to understand your game and where you think you need to be.
If isn’t useful and doesn’t interest you, don’t complicate the game.

Being observant and objective can come easier to some than others. They’re able to see the big picture and that’s all they require to build a solid practice plan and use the best strategy. Others need more granular information to do those things.

One way isn’t necessarily better than the other.

The top 5 on the PGA Tour in driving distance so far in the 2024 season are Cameron Champ, Chris Gotterup, Rory, Kevin Dougherty, and Byeong Hun An. How's that working out for them so far?
There have been 21 winners on tour this year 15 of those winners are longer than the tour average. I would say the long hitters are doing fine.

What you generally find at all levels of golf are the guys who hit it farther than average collect the most trophies and win the most cash. Never in the history of golf has a short hitter of the golf ball dominated the game. The best players of all time Tiger and Jack were two of the longest players in their generation.
Not only do top players hit it significantly longer, they also hit it straight enough to avoid trouble and hit the next shots from favorable locations.

Another way to sum this up is if all players are hitting from the same tees, the shorter hitters will have difficulty competing no matter how good the rest of their game is.

The game is just much easier for long straight hitters..

1715262989636.png

My handicap is currently 10.9 (and climbing quickly :( )
Shotscope data
Driving distance 269 (P Avg) 224 avg
Driving accuracy - 24%
GiR - 30%
U/D - 30%
1putts per round - 28%
3 putts per round - 15%
putts per round 33.7
Birdies - 3%
Bogeys - 41%
Doubles - 26%

Gary player says that if you took his drives and played the rest with your shots you would be a high handicap. However if he used your drives and played the rest with his shots you would be a 3 handicap.

Yea that tracks. I'm in between stats wise the scratch and 10, and that makes sense.

Back