Are practice swings overrated?

Trmpt98

2024 Vokey / 2023 GOAT Cup / 2019 Bridgestone
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Sitting here watching the LPGA and realized you hardly ever see a pro take practice swings 6”-12” away from the ball. Yet as amateurs it seems like everyone I see or play with address the ball a few inches away, takes a few swings and then lines up and hits.
For me it seems like my practice swings are always the best but I actually don’t take one with the driver. When it’s my turn I line up and pull the trigger.
I understand if it’s a gnarly lie trying to see how the club goes through but many times it doesn’t seem to matter.
What say you? Are we wasting time taking too many swings while just away from the ball? Should we just visualize, line up and pull the trigger?

For amateurs, I definitely think so.

The only time I will take one anymore is when I have a weird lie and need to try and get the feel, otherwise I have found a practice swing doesn't help me at all.

Yesssssss

Unless there is a weird lie where I am trying to figure out turf contact, almost never take one.... but thats also probably why I am terrible

Reactions: Ooo
Practice swings or thinking about what I'm going to do behind the ball is what I do when I am trying to find something. Only time I would want to do this is some strange lie.

No. Not for some. I never do them but there is a rhythm to a lot of peoples games and it helps their shot prep. So I don’t think they are overrated.

If the lie is awkward or you're trying to hit a particular shot shape then go ahead. Otherwise it's just wasted energy to me

As you get older sometimes it's nice to just make sure you can make a swing without something hurting. So you do the practice swing and it's like "Ah cool, i'm aight"

Sitting here watching the LPGA and realized you hardly ever see a pro take practice swings 6”-12” away from the ball. Yet as amateurs it seems like everyone I see or play with address the ball a few inches away, takes a few swings and then lines up and hits.
For me it seems like my practice swings are always the best but I actually don’t take one with the driver. When it’s my turn I line up and pull the trigger.
I understand if it’s a gnarly lie trying to see how the club goes through but many times it doesn’t seem to matter.
What say you? Are we wasting time taking too many swings while just away from the ball? Should we just visualize, line up and pull the trigger?
I think a bit. I might do them when I’m waiting or when I’m struggling, but time to hit is time to hit. Lest ye suffer the wrath of JB!

Yes

As you get older sometimes it's nice to just make sure you can make a swing without something hurting. So you do the practice swing and it's like "Ah cool, i'm aight"
Yeah if it's a standard lie this is about the only reason I do. I swear I stiffen in the time it takes get to the shot sometimes, so it's mostly just to loosen up and make sure everything is going to work.

Yes. Don’t do them, you’ll be happier for it and it’ll speed things up.

Yeah if it's a standard lie this is about the only reason I do. I swear I stiffen in the time it takes get to the shot sometimes, so it's mostly just to loosen up and make sure everything is going to work.

Exactly, i walk and carry my bag....so really the practice swing is just to loosen up and make sure everything is fine. It's not a mental thing or etc, most of the time it's barely a swing and more just me making sure my body hasn't tightened lol

Very few of the guys I see ever take a practice swing

I never take practice swings. So yeah ... they are overrated :ROFLMAO:

Only time I practice Swing is Ball is in the Rough, I need to know how much energy I have to put in the Swing.

I’m surprised so many people are saying they don’t use them because I don’t see that on the course. True, you don’t want @JB wrath for slowing things down but it’s impressive to see how when it’s his turn the ball is in the air within seconds.

I’m going to start trying to see how well it goes without doing practice swings, I am partially there already as I don’t do it with the driver and even when I do it with an iron it doesn’t seem like I’m getting consistent results anyway.

The broadcast must have cut out a bunch of the practice swings. I don’t think it’s overrated. Especially after long waits. I had a 10-15 minute wait on the tee box and as I got to the top of my swing I heard a lot of cracking. I gotta remember to take a few swings after a wait.

I’ve stopped practice swings and started trying to feel what I need to do

The broadcast must have cut out a bunch of the practice swings. I don’t think it’s overrated. Especially after long waits. I had a 10-15 minute wait on the tee box and as I got to the top of my swing I heard a lot of cracking. I gotta remember to take a few swings after a wait.
If you are constantly waiting, I think that’s a different situation. Where you are continuing to try and stay loose.

We know Zack Johnson does it, he’s constantly hitting the ball off the tee when he’s getting ready for his practice swings, but you don’t see many other professionals lineup right next to the ball like quite a few amateurs do. Yes, they will stand behind the ball and work on the take away, or follow through, but you never see them just kind of take two three or four swings before addressing the ball unless they’re really trying to shot shape. I see them do it in heavy rough but not much in the fairway

There have been a few threads on this lately, and I've actually been trying it most of this year. Only practice swings I take by the ball are around the green or funky lies where the ball is above or below my feet. Other wise I take a 1/2 swing from behind the ball while I get my alignment, step up to the ball, and swing. Once I'm at the ball it's go time, and I think a lot less hitting it with that first swing. Same thing whether it's on the tee, wedge/iron, fwy, or putter in hand, unless I have the aforementioned funky lie.

I’m surprised so many people are saying they don’t use them because I don’t see that on the course. True, you don’t want @JB wrath for slowing things down but it’s impressive to see how when it’s his turn the ball is in the air within seconds.

I’m going to start trying to see how well it goes without doing practice swings, I am partially there already as I don’t do it with the driver and even when I do it with an iron it doesn’t seem like I’m getting consistent results anyway.
I’m one of those that actually doesn’t think practice swings slows things down all that much unless an entire pre shot routine goes with it.

I will never understand setting up to the ball though and taking a divot or moving grass right next to the ball. It makes no sense to me to add anything that could be a variable

Back