Are spiked shoes necessary anymore?

Ha maybe both?
Tichina Arnold Reaction GIF by CBS

Yes. I don't like spikes but sometimes in soft and wet conditions I need them.

Rotation is only 2 pairs of spikeless but have a spiked pair that I’ll break out of super wet and muddy. I’ve thought about grabbing a new pair of spikes but just don’t feel I need them anymore

The "spikeless" a lot of us play in now - Phantomcats, Alphacat, ProSL, various adidas, etc, for example - are molded "spikes" or nubs. So, for me, I say no. If you're talking the Puma Fusion Classic or something not nearly as aggressive as the molded nubs on most all spikeless shoes, I'd say yes. Yes, being soft spikes, not metal. Metal should be gone.
Yep agree with this the ‘spikeless’ we play in now seem very close to the edge of being called ‘spikes’. There are some out there that I wouldn’t challenge with a morning dew round but there are plenty others with aggressive enough spike patterns where I’d be just fine.

If it’s very soupy I’ll wear my Infinity Tour with the two giant molded spikes.

I thought the TWs had spikes in them?
Ah crap.

I change my comment.

"I havent owned a pair of spiked shoes since 2012, except for TWs."

I own both soft spike and spikeless. I think both should be allowed. I am shocked i do not slip more with spikeless shoes but in certain conditions I prefer soft spikes. I prefer to walk and wear both.

• Haha
Reactions: Bus
The courses around here almost require spikes if you don't want to fall over. I see some people with spikeless, but at this time of the year it is still a bog on most courses....especially this year. If I go out with a clean pair of shoes (not often) the shoes will be covered and there will be mud up the leg of my trousers most of a foot.

I have Spikeless and a pair with Softspikes. I was playing once in wet conditions and slipped on shot wearing spikeless shoes. Felt something pull in my back 3 holes later I couldn’t get my ball out of the hole or tee a ball up. Next morning couldn’t get out of bad. Missed playing for quite a while so lesson learned, always keep a pair of Softspikes around for wet days.

Rarely do I see any golfers wearing golf specific shoes. Especially seniors. I see more tennis shoes, or just plain old walking shoes being worn.

I own a pair of golf shoes, but never use them. Probably never will.

I prefer soft spikes to spikeless. Keep soft spike shoes.

I don't see any need.

Spikeless have plenty of traction and they are miles more comfortable IMO

Yes theyre necessary. Spikeless shoes have people of all shapes sizes and abilities slipping and sliding all over the damn place with even the slightest amount of dew.

Cool to look at.....yes
More comfortable....yes

Spikeless works for me. I don't even consider spiked shoes anymore.

Two years ago I was a 100% yes. Not I am a nah..

I don't see any need.

Spikeless have plenty of traction and they are miles more comfortable IMO
I agree for the most part. But for me personally, the Puma Ignite were some of the most comfortable shoes Ive ever worn

For me I don’t need them. I still have one old pair of Nike soft spikes that I could drag out but don’t see the need

I haven’t found a pair of spikeless that I haven’t slipped in. I’ll take traction over comfort all day right now

I like both. Depends on the conditions. Options are nice!

I play mornings when the dew is still heavy on the ground. There are lots of slopes especially around the greens where it gets slippery even with my soft spikes. I know that spikeless shoes would be fine 90% or more of the time but why wouldn’t I wear spikes for those times when I need them? My spiked shoes are very comfortable so I don’t understand what the advantages are to no spikes. If you wear your regular shoes to play golf and don’t want to buy another pair just for golf ok, but I’d always have shoes that I only wear for golf so they might as well have spikes.

I prefer spikes, but that's probably because I haven't found a spikeless that fits my foot well yet. My feet are kind of "active" so the spikes help keep them where they belong.

I tend to wiggle a lot & prefer soft spikes

Back