Bag Setup Thread: Reasons and Thoughts

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Just a thought for a thread that could bring a little more insight to why we all set things up the way we do. Plus, could be cool to be able to go back down the road and see what we were all thinking and how things have evolved. Also, just cool to have a more setup specific place to discuss other than the equipment pondering thread. Maybe.

For me, the bag has gotten a little...different...post MC. It will undeniably change 100 times over when reviews start rolling, but for MY setup I've looked to simplify things at the top and also find a way to feel more comfortable on my 120 and in shots, so....

• Driver and 3w are given's, 11* and 16* respectably, two options off of the tee and a legitimate fairway wood off the deck option thanks to the 4w loft, I've found I sacrifice nothing off the tee with the higher loft and in fact gain distance.

• Hybrids are 20.5* and 23.5*, this covers my 220 to 190 gap, big gap I know, but with the Bio's I've found I can manipulate them incredibly well, the 4hy so well in fact it has allowed me to drop my 5i and cover that 4-5 slot with one club.

• Irons are 6-SW, yes, a set SW, I'm "that guy" and I like it. All of these are full swingers for me so I want the consistency of the set clubs and also the forgiveness compared to a bladed GW and SW.

• Wedges I carry only a 58* bladed wedge, why? Because its the only club in my bag other than the putter which I will do everything I can to not full swing. It used to be my 110 club, then I realized that is asinine and there is no reason to swing one of the more difficult and unforgiving clubs in my bag that hard. Its been a big boost, its my go to for touch shots, pitches, runners, it is Mr. Versatility for me and at 58* cranking it open is no issue.

• Utility Club. The Niblick. The other reason I dropped my 5i. I want a club I can lean on from 70 to 110 and this one used to be that for me and as it turns out this week showed it still is. I can full swing it high and easy, I can 1/2 and 3/4 it easy, and it is directionally awesome for me.
  • Putter. Duh, need one. Love them. Wish I could own them all. :alien:

So, kind of a different thread, don't have to be super detailed like this, but I like to write if you didn't know already. Again, I think this could just be a great thread for pondering about the setup and not what clubs you want to buy. Could be, we shall see eh?

I'm pretty standard:

Woods:
Driver 13.5 (the higher the better on my driver for whatever reason)230-280
3W 15degree 220-250 (can hit off the deck)

Hybrid:
Hybrid 3 hits from 210-230 but with a very high launch

Irons
4i 205-220 Lower launch
5i 190-200
6i etc
7i etc
8i etc
9i etc

Wedges
PW 100-120
52 100-80
56 80-60
60 55-

I'm debating right now on whether to put spinner shafts in my Pw right now... i ordered it, just don't know how I feel about it. Hmmm :confused2:

• Staff
What loft/bounce is the niblick?

49/10 I believe. No, I can't replace the AW (50) as the AW is my 125-130 club and the Niblick is 120 down for me with the Hi-Rev shaft in it, and that's where I prefer it to be honestly.

My bag is pretty straightforward, but I'm not quite happy with it.

Driver/4 Wood at 12 and 17 are staples and aren't going anywhere

4-PW AP1
J40 PW
J40 52/56/60 are not going anywhere. Love these wedges and hit them better than the comparable irons by a mile.

I'd like to add a hybrid of sorts to cover that 190-210 gap. I can hit the 4i 200 off the tee but off the deck it's hardly a deadly weapon for me. Maybe a swap is due.

Also thinking of adding a 48* MB wedge to replace the J40 PW.

• Staff
My bag is pretty straightforward, but I'm not quite happy with it.

Driver/4 Wood at 12 and 17 are staples and aren't going anywhere

4-PW AP1
J40 PW
J40 52/56/60 are not going anywhere. Love these wedges and hit them better than the comparable irons by a mile.

I'd like to add a hybrid of sorts to cover that 190-210 gap. I can hit the 4i 200 off the tee but off the deck it's hardly a deadly weapon for me. Maybe a swap is due.

Also thinking of adding a 48* MB wedge to replace the J40 PW.

Precisely why I finally ditched my 4i this year dude, but, it took me finding a hybrid I had FULL faith in off the tee and deck before I did it. I was a big 4i off the tee guy fora long time, but I couldn't go back to one full time now I don't think.

Precisely why I finally ditched my 4i this year dude, but, it took me finding a hybrid I had FULL faith in off the tee and deck before I did it. I was a big 4i off the tee guy fora long time, but I couldn't go back to one full time now I don't think.
Did you try the apex 4i and 5i by any chance?

• Staff
Did you try the apex 4i and 5i by any chance?

Yep, they're great irons, just like the set, but IMO a 4i is a 4i and will always be a demanding club, I can elevate it just fine, but its still a 4i. We are at a point where for most of us mere mortals, there is not reason to take advantage of a hybrid there, not everyone I know but for most. The 5i is fine, it just doesn't fit for what I want right now, still a long iron and if you struggle with elevating long irons off the deck, even the best irons out there (IMO like these are) won't help.

49/10 I believe. No, I can't replace the AW (50) as the AW is my 125-130 club and the Niblick is 120 down for me with the Hi-Rev shaft in it, and that's where I prefer it to be honestly.

Interesting. Shorter shaft?

Yep, they're great irons, just like the set, but IMO a 4i is a 4i and will always be a demanding club, I can elevate it just fine, but its still a 4i. We are at a point where for most of us mere mortals, there is not reason to take advantage of a hybrid there, not everyone I know but for most. The 5i is fine, it just doesn't fit for what I want right now, still a long iron and if you struggle with elevating long irons off the deck, even the best irons out there (IMO like these are) won't help.
Yeah, I can't really argue with any of that. I use my 4i and Hybrid a little differently maybe than i should or than most people. I use my hybrid when i have an obstacle I'm trying to get over or around (can shape my hybrid much MUCH easier than an iron) or am just trying to add some yardage onto a hole (i.e. like 270 to go and the greens protected and i want to go 210ish-230) ; if i'm like 205 and I'm trying to hit a green I typically pull out the 4i, which to be completely honest i'm about 60/40 with getting great contact with right now unfortunately.

My bag has remained reasonably unchanged all year. I'm boring.

However, when it comes to Jman - I know if a club makes it's way into his gamer bag, it had been more than vetted.

Pretty content with my bag right now. Could use a lower spinning driver but not really in a hurry to get one.

Driver - Amp Cell 9.5 - 240-290
Pro Mini 18*hy 230-240
Super 9031 20*hy 210-220
4i-PW
Scor wedges 49*, 53*, 57*

Really hitting my Scor's well. Thanks James!

Interesting. Shorter shaft?

As stock, they were, as mine....nah. Hahahaha

Just zero reason for me to press it to fill that 130 gap, none, nada. I've come to realize that all trying to squeeze every yard out of a club does is get your ass in trouble more times than not.

Now, I could drop the AW if I added the 42 Niblick also.

Yeah, I can't really argue with any of that. I use my 4i and Hybrid a little differently maybe than i should or than most people. I use my hybrid when i have an obstacle I'm trying to get over or around (can shape my hybrid much MUCH easier than an iron) or am just trying to add some yardage onto a hole (i.e. like 270 to go and the greens protected and i want to go 210ish-230) ; if i'm like 205 and I'm trying to hit a green I typically pull out the 4i, which to be completely honest i'm about 60/40 with getting great contact with right now unfortunately.

Its all about what you are comfortable in dude.

My bag has remained reasonably unchanged all year. I'm boring.

However, when it comes to Jman - I know if a club makes it's way into his gamer bag, it had been more than vetted.

I'm better about it than I used to be. I'd played the same DR, 3w, Hybo, 5-SW, 58 setup for quite a while now, with the onlt real change being 54 to set SW pre MC and in the MC. But I realized I wanted to do something for those 70-110(120 maaaaaaybe) numbers to bring consistency, and this ugly ass niblick has always been consistent for me....ugly damn thing.

Cool thread. Currently I'm using
Driver: 11°

3w: 16° which I use off the tee for certain holes. Love it from the deck as well. Right now its my favorite and most consistent club

Hybrids: 19° and 22°, great versatility for me and just easy to hit from nasty lies

Irons: 5 - pw aw, I like the set gap wedge quite a bit (45°, 50°)

Wedges: Planning on doing 54° 58° setup which suit me well.
And putter of course.

My setup

Driver: 10.5
5W: 18.5 bomber. About 260 carry off the tee and 245 off the deck
20* hybrid 215-230 Carry
23* hybrid 200-215

5-AW that covers me between 110 up to 195

52* that I'll be bending to 54* this will be my 60-110 club and low running pitches and chips

58* bunkers and higher lofted pitches and chips

This is actually the first time I've ever even given a thought to not carry my 3 iron and possibly, possibly my 4 iron. I hit them fine in my mind but maybe I should tryout a hybrid and see. Thanks for bringing this thread to light with everyone's ideas.

Well, here goes. Full disclosure, I am not a long hitter. My bag is more weighted for longer distance options, and keeping the wedge options more simple (trying to be more of a "basics" player around the greens.)

Driver - set anywhere from 10.5 to 12 deg, dependent on the day, mainly based on how I am feeling it that day
4W - switched from a 3W, still getting similar carry, easier for me to hit from the FW
16* X2Hot Pro and X2Hot 4 hybrid - just trying to feel them out. Swing has me ballooning these like crazy, trying to work through it
4i-DW Altitudes - a bit weird to have the 4 hybrid and the 4iron in the bag. Love the Alt 4i, can't bring myself to take it out.
56* Wedge - keep thinking I want to switch to a 54* and 58* setup....
Putter - sort of vital

My bag is a work in progress, not a lot of rhyme or reason. Working with the 4W/16*/4h to try and be more consistent from the fairway. I could always hit a 5W well from the FW, so I split the difference with the 4W and so far it is working well.

Don't have any logic. Used to all make sense, but this year things don't add up.

Driver 230-260
3w 210-225, but I can't hit it for beans this year. Might get 70y, might get 200 straight right.
18*h 190-210 This is what I hit in lieu of the 3w. I can miss it, but I've got 90% success vs 50% with the 3.
4-GW 180-110
55/60W

Really looking at a 15*h, drop 3w entirely, and drop the 18* for 20* or so. Or just lose the 3w and add a 52*.

This is actually the first time I've ever even given a thought to not carry my 3 iron and possibly, possibly my 4 iron. I hit them fine in my mind but maybe I should tryout a hybrid and see. Thanks for bringing this thread to light with everyone's ideas.

I just dropped the 4 iron out of the bag 2 weeks ago. After 3 rounds I'm wondering why I didn't do it sooner

Nice idea for a thread. Really, my bag set up hasn't changed much this year. Right now, this is where I'm at:

Driver: SLDR, 12*. I love this club. It's the most reliable in my bag.

FW: 4w. It gives me a second club off the tee and enough loft to hit it well off the deck. I have recently switched this club as my only recent tweak, but I will always have some type of 4 or 5 wood in my bag simply because they are easiest for me to get a lot of distance off the tee with pretty good forgiveness. I used to have a 2h in this spot, but I have found FW technology has really advanced to make it a lot easier to get more distance more often.

Hybrid: X2HOT 3h. I alternate between this and my Alti3, depending on the course, but this club is much more reliable off the deck and there's less chance of a horizontal miss. If my 4W isn't working, this gets even more work.

Long/mid irons: Altitudes, 4-6. This is another spot that I tweaked earlier in the year. I was playing my iron set all the way down to the 4i, but to be honest I started having problems hitting them as well as I had in the past, so I needed the forgiveness in the Altitudes. They are unique clubs, but the ball flight and feel are terrific. Typically, I score well when I'm hitting these clubs well, so it's important I have the most consistent and most forgiving I can find. I'm always looking to make sure there aren't clubs that will help me more yet the Altis win out every time.

Irons: Mizuno MP-H4's. I was fit into these and have no complaints. The longer irons are fairly easy to hit as well. Distances are always consistent and they give me a lot of confidence when I'm standing over them.

Wedges: Mizuno MP T-4, 50*, 55* and 60*. I use the 55 and 60 a lot, depending on what shot I want. I rarely if ever put a full swing on the 60. The 50 is probably used the least out of all my clubs, but I like it as an option for lower bump and runs and full shots below my PW. If I ever came up with a different club I wanted to bag, however, the 50 would probably be the first to go.

Putter: Sonoma 34'. I was fit into it and really enjoy how it rolls.

Bag Setup Thread: Reasons and Thoughts

My bag is pretty standard

All Bio Cell.... Blue!!!

Driver: 12 Degree
3WD: 14.5
5WD: 18.5

Hybrids

Irons
6-SW

Wedges
54 degree
58ndegree

SeeMore M1

Last edited:

Man, I was a die hard long iron guy for a while, because I could hit them pretty damn well and lets be honest, that is pretty freaking fun to be able to pull the 3/4i and do. But eventually, I just knew I needed more. NOW, I know guys who kill long irons with ease and that is awesome, we all have our own way, and that's why I wanted to start this thread, too see what/how we are all thinking.

Well, here goes. Full disclosure, I am not a long hitter. My bag is more weighted for longer distance options, and keeping the wedge options more simple (trying to be more of a "basics" player around the greens.)

Driver - set anywhere from 10.5 to 12 deg, dependent on the day, mainly based on how I am feeling it that day
4W - switched from a 3W, still getting similar carry, easier for me to hit from the FW
16* X2Hot Pro and X2Hot 4 hybrid - just trying to feel them out. Swing has me ballooning these like crazy, trying to work through it
4i-DW Altitudes - a bit weird to have the 4 hybrid and the 4iron in the bag. Love the Alt 4i, can't bring myself to take it out.
56* Wedge - keep thinking I want to switch to a 54* and 58* setup....
Putter - sort of vital

My bag is a work in progress, not a lot of rhyme or reason. Working with the 4W/16*/4h to try and be more consistent from the fairway. I could always hit a 5W well from the FW, so I split the difference with the 4W and so far it is working well.

I love the 56* move. SIMPLIFY is a big kick I'm on right now, and when I had just a 56* I not only simplified but I got much more creative and better touch too. I like it dude good thoughts!

I just dropped the 4 iron out of the bag 2 weeks ago. After 3 rounds I'm wondering why I didn't do it sooner

I remember this feeling well Hahahaha

Enjoying my bag as is currently. Will look to change a few things over the winter/beginning of next season, but for now I enjoy it.

Driver - 10.5* set to 11*. Toying around with the settings, but currently enjoying height/distance when set at the current setting. 250-260ish w/roll out
3 wood - 15*. Great off the tee as a secondary option, and great off the deck. 220-240ish w/roll out. Kicked my old driver out of the bag.
4h - Love the head/shaft combo I got in this deal. Great launch, and always super easy to hit. 200ish club

This is where my biggest gaps come in.
5i-PW. Last season I somehow forgot how to hit a 5i. Must be been like the yips. Just randomly couldn't hit it. Because of only carrying 12 clubs otherwise, I kept 5i in the bag. Great iron to hit a punch/knock down/low out of the wind kind of shot with. Only recently got back to using it fully. All other clubs are solid. 6i through PW covers from 175ish down to 130 for full swings. Less with halfs.

50,54,58* wedges. Love the ATV sole. 58* is my go to club for every chip and bunker shot. 54 if I need to have a lower lofted chip. The 50* doesn't get used as often as I thought it would, but could just be a course management kind of thing. These cover from 110ish down to chipping.

Putter, well obviously have to have one.

My goal is to add another hybrid. Unsure of a 3 or 5. Leaning towards a 5h in order to better cover the gap that I currently have left by my 5i yips. I figure the 200 to 175 yard gap would be better if I cover it than the 220 to 200 yard gap. I figure I'd have more shots in that yard gap rather than the higher one. I only game 13 clubs, so I wouldn't have to kick a club out of the bag, but if I were to it'd be either my 5i or more than likely my 50*.

ND, I'm a big fan of that 4/5 hybrid, its been a blessing to me to have that high and soft 200-180 club.

My setup

Driver: 11.5* found distance and accuracy lately need to find consistency though and it will be money

3WD: 15.5* want to work from the fwy but mostly a from the tee club for me

Hybrids

19* - 210-220 club when i need distance and accuracy this is my club for that

22.5* - 200-210 club and my fail safe off the tee

Irons

5-PW covers me 140-200

Wedges

50* full shots 115-135

54* 55 yd to 110 yd club

58* bunkers and 50 yd and in pitch shots some greenside work

Putter: 35" Counterbalanced - solid flatstick for putt speed

Back