Baltimore Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapses

I saw this and the container ship sailed straight into the column and didn't try to avoid it. I wonder if someone feel asleep bc I would hate to think it was deliberate.
They had a pilot there - loss of power means loss of steering. The article said that it didn't appear deliberate, obviously regardless of anything it's horrible I wonder how much they tried to save the pathing but just couldn't get it corrected because of the onboard issues.

Scary and crazy how easily the bridge dropped after one support column was taken out.

Scary and crazy how easily the bridge dropped after one support column was taken out.
this is the part that's wild to me. It's a terrible tragedy, that thing just seemed to collapse so easy.

I hope there are more found safe, even if that seems unthinkable right now.

So far no loss of life reported which would not have been the case had it not occurred at 130am. Although there do appear to be some missing

Terrible tragedy. :cry:

This is a crazy story, and absolutely tragic.

This is the stuff that gives my boss nightmares. We've done bridges inspections on a local and county level, nothing of this size. There definitely will need to be extra safety measures in front of the piers but that is a massive ship. Once that ship lost power I'm sure it was quite the helpless feeling.

This is the stuff that gives my boss nightmares. We've done bridges inspections on a local and county level, nothing of this size. There definitely will need to be extra safety measures in front of the piers but that is a massive ship. Once that ship lost power I'm sure it was quite the helpless feeling.
That ship may have been 200,000 tons. I'm not sure what can really be done. I doubt the bridge records and inspection were insufficient, but also think it's basically irrelevant with that kind of strike.

Saw this early this morning, crazy stuff how the bridge just dropped completely after being hit. I
hope they can recover as many people as possible in that cold water.

That ship may have been 200,000 tons. I'm not sure what can really be done. I doubt the bridge records and inspection were insufficient, but also think it's basically irrelevant with that kind of strike.
Agreed, I'm sure they'll be working on possible solutions for the future though. Just that much mass is hard to stop.

Agreed, I'm sure they'll be working on possible solutions for the future though. Just that much mass is hard to stop.
Very true. Lessons will be learned. It will be interesting to see how it may impact a bridge design project I am currently working on.

what a shocking video to watch.

It's crazy to think of how strong that bridge was until it wasn't. Just deleted in a flash.
Bridges and bridge building really are a marvel of engineering. Everything has to be absolutely perfect for them to sustain strength. Granted, a vessel of that size would take most structures out, but to watch it completely fall apart like that is terrifying.

Terrifying for sure. The impact this has on transportation, daily commuting traffic in the Baltimore area will be significant for months to come too. It just impacts Baltimore in so many ways, such a tragedy.

Article I read said 31k vehicles cross that bridge daily. Surprised there wasn’t a tug until open water. Sad news, doesn’t even look “real”

71860303-BA58-49AC-BA65-6FD7EAC6091E.jpeg

Wonder how many ships are now "Caught" in port? No way for them to get out at this point.

I cannot share much right now, but a lot of communications about cyber resiliency and looking into this being a cyber event. I have been in some interesting meetings already this morning based on intel and our process to proactively monitor and secure critical assets.

Reading that 750,000 cars came through Baltimore in 2023.

Wonder how many ships are now "Caught" in port? No way for them to get out at this point.

I work in insurance and an article went out earlier with some details and it says there are 3 bulk carriers, 1 vehicle carrier, and 1 tanker blocked in the port. Ten other ships are in Chesapeake bay that were on their way into Baltimore for a berth. A further 40 ships show Baltimore as their next port of call.

Will be a logistical mess for other east coast ports.

I cannot share much right now, but a lot of communications about cyber resiliency and looking into this being a cyber event. I have been in some interesting meetings already this morning based on intel and our process to proactively monitor and secure critical assets.
should i buy stocks in tin foil

Nothing political or conspiracy here, but this lines up with preliminary intel we received from a PCN network threat brief. Given my line of work and how vulnerable I know most of our US infrastructure is, this is the aspect I am following closely.

Amazing vision ,,
Sympathy to all
Involved 🙁

Back